Send Curtis Martin to the Hall of Fame - As a member of the New York Jets!

BaumerJet

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cumar IS a slam dunk for induction into the HOF

THIS SUMMER

take it to the bank

I heard that he was a lock to be first ballot. Heard it for years.

I wasn't rating them. Just my guess on who gets the call.

Fair enough. I think he'll get in sooner or later. But if I had a team that was otherwise legit with at best a 4-year window, Martin wouldn't crack my top 20 of RB's in their prime that I wish I had.

he was only on the ballot for the first time last season

and this year will be the last time he is on the ballot once he is inducted on HOF game weekend this summer in Canton.

clearly belongs in the HOF and gets his yellow jacket this Summer

No, Ellard is currently 9th all time in receiving yards, oh mighty one.

We are now in 2012. Ellard retired in '98. At the time he became eligible Ellard was 4th.

Let's see if Martin is still 4th in the year 2020. Even still, longevity doesn't make one great. Being friggin' awesome is what makes one great. Just my opinion anyway.

We are now in 2012. Ellard retired in '98. At the time he became eligible Ellard was 4th.

Let's see if Martin is still 4th in the year 2020. Even still, longevity doesn't make one great. Being friggin' awesome is what makes one great. Just my opinion anyway.

You have to be pretty friggin' awesome to do what Martin did.

When you play the position that hasn't the shortest average career span of any in the NFL, playing at that high a level for as long as Martin did is pretty friggin' special. When you do something that only two people have done in the entire history of the league, its pretty friggin' awesome.

You have to be pretty friggin' awesome to do what Martin did.

When you play the position that hasn't the shortest average career span of any in the NFL, playing at that high a level for as long as Martin did is pretty friggin' special. When you do something that only two people have done in the entire history of the league, its pretty friggin' awesome.

No it isn't. And Martin spent most of his career averaging at or below the NFL average of 4.0 ypc. That is not great and it is not awesome. Nor were all his garbage games against better competition when a real difference-maker was actually needed.

Worst RB of all time.

Teams don't run the ball anymore. Martin's spot will be safe for a long time. Testaverde and Ellard, meanwhile, will continue to downward spiral on the list.

Only because of rule changes to aid the passing game. Many or most of those rule changes coming after Ellard retired.

The point is that being #4 all time in yards was the justification for being elected. Ellard was not an all-time great and he was #4 at this same juncture.

Hell, Testaverde and Bledsoe are still both top-8 all-time in passing yards. And neither one of those will - or should - ever sniff at getting in.

Only because of rule changes to aid the passing game. Many or most of those rule changes coming after Ellard retired.

The point is that being #4 all time in yards was the justification for being elected. Ellard was not an all-time great and he was #4 at this same juncture.

Hell, Testaverde and Bledsoe are still both top-8 all-time in passing yards. And neither one of those will - or should - ever sniff at getting in.

Fair enough.

despite the whines of same old jet fans, Curtis Martin will be inducted into the HOF this summer

I wish I had a nickel for every post here and at other sites that incorrectly predicted Martin was a mortal lock to be a first-ballot HOF'er.

Good player for a ridiculously long time for the position. Rarely, if ever, a game-changer. Particularly against better defenses. Made a career of taking what his OL gave him and little beyond that.

Say you're a GM. You have a window of 3-4 years where your team is a true contender and the only missing piece you perceive is an upgrade over your bad RB's. You can have anyone in history. You seriously telling me Martin would really crack your top 20? I can probably name a dozen backs who will never sniff at the HOF I'd rather have in that situation. We had the guy for years & years and he came up small when we needed a game-changer at the position time after time.

He was solid, not great. His longevity was a great accomplishment, but he was not a great RB.

That said, I think he's got a decent chance of getting in this year, but only because the crop is relatively weak on offensive skill positions which always get preference. But he's not a top-3 player among the finalists or semi-finalists even in this pretty weak eligibility class.

I get there's plenty of Jets fans out there who aren't big fans and think he's undeserving, but none of that really makes any difference.

So if he is in fact undeserving doesn't make any difference? Huh?

I know Martin was a good guy. But he also especially under Edwards got way more carries than his production warranted at exactly the time the NFL shifted from stressing one back to backfield by committee as it became more of a passing league. That he stuck around a long time and showed up for work is to his credit. But he was rarely dominant when it mattered. And consider that his cap number at a time when primo RBs were becoming less important probably cost the Jets the ability to fill other roster spots. And if you are going to give me Spermie's choice of any back for a game or a play, Martin's name isn't coming up for a very long time on that list, would guess Martin is high 20s/lows 30s pick. That he was a Jet for a good chunk fo his career doesn't matter as to dominance and greatness. Arguably Riggins and McNeil, despite lesser statistical careers,are 2 Jet backs that I would pick ahead of him without a 2nd thought.

riggins is in the HOF

Cumar will be in the HOF this summer

McNeil can get in if he buys a ticket

what's next??

Johnny Johnson and Adrian Murrell were better than Martin opinions??

I Saw them all play. And on his best day Freeman McNeil, despite not lasting nearly as long, was a better back than Martin on his best day. If you wish to say Martin was superior statistically, you would be correct. Further if McNeil didn't play with Johnny Hector, Scott Dierking and Bruce Harper during his career he might have had the number of carries Martin regulalry got here druing the Edwards Error. As he would do with Larry Johson in KC, dumbass Herm habitually gave his "big back" way too many carries with Martin, often to the detriment of the offense and the health of said back. Mcneil rightly never got that kind of foolish treatment.

BG-

Not Whining. Merely pointing out that sentence was illogical.

just my opinion but Curtis Martin was a hall of fame running back, Freeman McNeil a never ever running back

Did you ever see Freeman play? Dude racked up 11,000 yards from scrimmage despite his durability. He was a 3 time pro bowler in his first 5 years I believe. He has the same number of all pro selections and rushing titles as CuMar, averaged half a yard more per carry and 3 yards more per reception.

CuMar is one of my favorite players of all time, but diminishing Freeman just tells me that you never saw him play.

Did you ever see Freeman play? Dude racked up 11,000 yards from scrimmage despite his durability. He was a 3 time pro bowler in his first 5 years I believe. He has the same number of all pro selections and rushing titles as CuMar, averaged half a yard more per carry and 3 yards more per reception.

CuMar is one of my favorite players of all time, but diminishing Freeman just tells me that you never saw him play.

Sadly McNeil was basically done due to durability after those first five seasons with the exception of one more good year. If I had a choice betweeen a McNeil healthy versus Martin, I take McNeil but for their careers Curtis wins out.

No it isn't. And Martin spent most of his career averaging at or below the NFL average of 4.0 ypc. That is not great and it is not awesome. Nor were all his garbage games against better competition when a real difference-maker was actually needed.

Worst RB of all time.

I don't think he ever averaged below 4.0 and was actually at 4.5 for his career. O.J. ended at 4.7.

I think your short list of Jets you actually have anything good to say about is quite small.

saw him play his entire career, certainly long enough to recognize that he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame other than by purchasing an admission ticket to visit

Archived