Peyton’s Place Should Not Be With The NY Jets

JetNation

Post image for Peyton’s Place Should Not Be With The NY Jets

As the Indianapolis Colts continue to rebuild their organization there is increased speculation that quarterback Peyton Manning will be released.  Manning is due a substantial signing bonus in early March (rumored to be approximately $28 million dollars) and many insiders believe that the Colts will move on from the future Hall of Famer and start over with rookie quarterback Andrew Luck.  Once Manning is released the speculation continues that the New York Jets will be the likely landing spot for the star quarterback.

While this story seems to make sense on paper, especially after the Jets took a chance on Brett Favre, there are several issues that should prevent Peyton from playing with Gang Green.

Cap space- Peyton Manning is currently one of the highest paid players in the NFL and will command a significant contract if he hits the free agent market.  The New York Jets are reportedly $5-7 million dollars under the cap and would have to come up with some creative accounting (restructuring contracts and cutting players) in order to come up with the space required to sign Manning.  Does that really make sense to do for a soon to be 36 year old quarterback coming off of major neck surgery?

Not one player away-In order for the Jets to return to their championship contender status the team is going to have to upgrade the talent base at several positions.  Gang Green needs help at safety, linebacker, right tackle, and wide receiver, in addition to adding depth at other positions.  Bringing in Peyton Manning will prevent the Jets from upgrading their roster, as his price tag will eat up valuable cap space.  Lets face it Gang Green is not one player away from a championship, even if that player is Peyton.

Ground and pound- Throughout his entire professional career Peyton Manning has been the focal point of his offense, one that is primarily built around an explosive passing game.  The Jets offensive philosophy is almost the exact opposite as it is built around a power running game.  So with that being said Gang Green would either have to change their philosophies or Manning would have to accept a lesser role. Either way I do not think it makes sense for a quarterback that will only play for another year or two.  Note: I understand that Peyton’s former offensive coordinator Tom Moore is a consultant for the Jets.  While there is a notion that Moore could be hired as a passing coordinator, I still do not think it would be worth restructuring an entire offense for a player that will not be with the team long term.

Injury factor- One of the most important factors in this entire deal is the health of Peyton Manning.  The NFL has becoming a passing league, which means that defenses have been forced to step up their pressure on the quarterback.  Can Manning’s body endure the rigors of a physical 16-game season?  It is not like this is a minor injury that Peyton is trying to return from.

It is no secret that the Jets need help at the quarterback position, but based on the reasons listed above I do not think that Peyton Manning is the answer. Manning’s age, health, and price tag are all red flags in my eyes.

di
di

eNvnmTNpHA0

View the full article

First off, I do not think he wants to come here, and he will go where he wants to go. He is too buttoned down for Rex. And one look at last year's film and the number of hits that Sanchez took will dissuade him further. I am not so much concerned about age in a QB as I am about this neck condition. I am not bringing a guy in here whose vertebra is as durable as a potato chip. To me it is too easy to reinjure. And a reinjure would probably mean the whole season. It would be nice to be able to bring him in and keep the draft picks, though. A great QB can really make up for shortcomings in the rest of the roster (see: NE Patriots) If he goes down we still have you-know-who. But as I said, I think he probably does not want any part of this situation-or the ground and pound.

The question increasingly becomes less about whether Manning comes here, and more about whether Sanchez is the QB on opening day. The Jets organization is not saying that out loud as to not upset Sanchez should they get stuck having to play him again. But if 3 years in after trading up for him and picking him #5 Ryan and Tannebaum are confronted with these kinds of decisions at all mean Sanchez is not the The Man.You do not pick a QB that high and pay him a fortune so he can hand off 30+ times a game and throw dumpoff crap. The Jets have to explore all options before signing up for another season of Pick 6 and hiding his inadequacy as best they can.

Why would anyone think he'd be commanding the same money post injury that he did pre? there's no way he's getting 27 mil from anyone.

If it's feasible to get Peyton while keeping Sanchez then it's a no-brainer. If it means releasing Sanchez then I'm not sure I'd do it. You can't risk multiple seasons on a thrice repaired neck.

Why would anyone think he'd be commanding the same money post injury that he did pre? there's no way he's getting 27 mil from anyone.

If it's feasible to get Peyton while keeping Sanchez then it's a no-brainer. If it means releasing Sanchez then I'm not sure I'd do it. You can't risk multiple seasons on a thrice repaired neck.

Keeping both is the only way I sign Peyton. Impossible to happen. Only way they clear up cap space for Manning is to free up the 9 million sanchez is due.

Peyton isn't playing cheap. Why would he? As the article pointed out, the Jets aren't a shoo in, even if Peyton is healthy.

I suspect if no one is willing to pay Manning a King's ransom, he'll retire. No one is talking about it, but the 9'ers look like a great fit for him

[

That article is one hundred percent correct IMO

No Mannings for the Jets, thank you -- not Peyton, not Eli, not even Archie --- we have enough drama around Florham Park without any members of that manipulative traveling circus full of drama queens

He's not even healed yet and may never even be cleared to play football again. He even went to europe to have stem cell therapy that is not available in the US. I don't think his prognosis is going to lend to him playing football. I bet he retires as a Colt and stays with the organization in some form or another.

[

That article is one hundred percent correct IMO

No Mannings for the Jets, thank you -- not Peyton, not Eli, not even Archie --- we have enough drama around Florham Park without any members of that manipulative traveling circus full of drama queens

So you dont want to win? I mean come one now..... Peyton Would make the Jets so much better.... Sanchez? Cmon wake up....

I don't see what the big deal is, why do people keep acting like this is a pipe dream? Who knows what's going on in Peyton's mind. At the end of the day, it could be like a Nnamdi thing where no one sees it coming. Biggest obstacle would be cash.

But from a football perspective, Jets make just as much sense as anyone... if not more. IMO, if both teams are interested, it will probably come down to Jets and Niners.

I don't see a place like Arizona or Miami, if that happens then we'll all know Peyton is a loser. He's not going to do anything there. Can you friggin imagine this guy on one side of the ball and Rex's defense on the other?

And from the Jets perspective, main issue is his health, really. Yeah, you've got to get the money, but think about this:

1. All of Santonio's problems go bye-bye.

2. Getting Peyton means less needs offensively. We just need an RT. We don't necessarily need to go out there and get ourselves one of the better balanced (or blocking) tight ends, don't need a WR, don't need a RB, nothing. Just go get RT.

3. That leaves you with, what, FIVE picks to focus on defense? Maybe spend one on an extra tackle. Other than that, you load up with 4 pass rushers/safesties.

4. Championship.

For Manning:

1. He gets the defense he never had before.

2. He gets to play near his brother. Sponsorship opportunities?

3. He gets to beat Tom Brady at least twice a year.

getting a peyton manning, healthy and in his prime would be great

getting a broken down relic coming off two neck fusion surgeries and nearly as old as Mark Brunell would be a horrible nightmare

So funny how quickly people forgot how good manning is? its nuts to tell you the truth....now hes broken down old guy lol

In San Fran, they win the division before Week Eight with a healthy Manning. He'd be a fool to sign here, or desperate.

No way, man. Alex Smith got sacked once for every 10 pass attempts he had this past season. A hell of a lot higher rate than Sanchez was even with a season of Wayne Hunter and a few games of nobodies at center and Ferguson having a total letdown year (none of which is likely to repeat in 2012). Plus we're a run-first team. Plus our receiving corps as a whole are supposedly so inferior.

It's been hypothesized here that's these are the reasons he would never come here so SF would be out of the question.

getting a peyton manning, healthy and in his prime would be great

getting a broken down relic coming off two neck fusion surgeries and nearly as old as Mark Brunell would be a horrible nightmare

Is a guy who threw 66 TDs with over 9000 yards at 67% clip in the two seasons before not playing last year really a broken down relic?

So funny how quickly people forgot how good manning is? its nuts to tell you the truth....now hes broken down old guy lol

I agree

we should sign Johnny Unitas, John Elway, Roger Staubach and Terry Bradshaw too.... they are all way better than Manning and probably healthier, not having just gone through multiple neck fusion surgeries

In making a run at Manning I dont consider cap space a variable. Cut Mark and Hunter and its almost a wash. In a year or two the cap should grow high again making the backend likely not an issue. I dont consider the "one player away" bit an issue either. Manning played with a team that is a 4 win team without him and double digit win with him. For at least 1 year I dont think the ground and pound is even an issue. The last time Manning had problems going into a year he didnt play well for the first 6-8 weeks before he went on fire. I think he would be ok with a more conservative approach early on before opening things up.

There are two concerns for the Jets. One is if you want to put the team in the hands of a 36 year old injured QB when you have a 20 something year old first round pick on the team. If you still think Sanchez can be the goods you cant make the move. My other concern is that the Jets line is not built for Manning. Some of the guys, specifically Brick, seem jumpy. It is hell for an O-lineman to play with Manning. Im not sure the Jets guys, even if athletically superior to what was in Indy, can get down at the line and process everything that is going on and not go offsides alot. Its actually a big concern I have.

Archived