The 2012 'Holy sh*t Did Blake Griffin Just Do That' Thread

RutgersJetFan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what the guys game will be like 2 or 3 years from now when his legs start to give out but he is just violent around the rim right now. I dont think Ive ever seen a player elevate the way that he does. Its like he can stop on a dime and go up like an elevator. Ive never seen a player do that before. Its just a pure vertical jump from a running start.

I have no idea what the guys game will be like 2 or 3 years from now when his legs start to give out but he is just violent around the rim right now. I dont think Ive ever seen a player elevate the way that he does. Its like he can stop on a dime and go up like an elevator. Ive never seen a player do that before. Its just a pure vertical jump from a running start.

Maybe Shawn Kemp?

Maybe Shawn Kemp?

Id hope he wont turn into the whale version of Kemp, but yeah Kemp was a guy when he was young had those violent dunks right over a guy. There used to be so many times on Sportcenter you would see those highlights of him dangling his feet basically on a guys head. I can still remember this one dunk he had where he just annihilated the guy underneath. I think it was Chris Gatling and Gatling wanted to shake his hand. A guy like Oakley would have punched Kemp in the face. Thats when you knew the league was really changing. Still I dont think he had that stop on a dime elevation, but he had incredible hang time and he threw the ball down like he was hoping to pop the basketball. By 96 he was losing that explosiveness and had nothing else to fall back on and by the time he signed with Cleveland he was a beached whale in shorts. At least guys like Vince Carter developed a little something else.

Id hope he wont turn into the whale version of Kemp, but yeah Kemp was a guy when he was young had those violent dunks right over a guy. There used to be so many times on Sportcenter you would see those highlights of him dangling his feet basically on a guys head. I can still remember this one dunk he had where he just annihilated the guy underneath. I think it was Chris Gatling and Gatling wanted to shake his hand. A guy like Oakley would have punched Kemp in the face. Thats when you knew the league was really changing. Still I dont think he had that stop on a dime elevation, but he had incredible hang time and he threw the ball down like he was hoping to pop the basketball. By 96 he was losing that explosiveness and had nothing else to fall back on and by the time he signed with Cleveland he was a beached whale in shorts. At least guys like Vince Carter developed a little something else.

Hell yeah:

Hell yeah:

Yup thats the one. Just shoved him out of the way stared him down and the Gatling gun responds with a handshake? So funny. That is the attitude that made people tune out in droves when the old guard all started to show their age in the later part of the 90s. Jordan punches his teammates in the face. Oakley throws guys to the ground when they try to dunk. Gatling shakes the hand of the guy who made him look like a fool.

Back to Kemp though, wow was he an overrated player. Dunked like mad but there was essentially no other part to his game at all offensively. Its why they always floundered in the playoffs. Back then you could not win playing that style at all and they were always upset early in the playoffs.

Yup thats the one. Just shoved him out of the way stared him down and the Gatling gun responds with a handshake? So funny. That is the attitude that made people tune out in droves when the old guard all started to show their age in the later part of the 90s. Jordan punches his teammates in the face. Oakley throws guys to the ground when they try to dunk. Gatling shakes the hand of the guy who made him look like a fool.

Back to Kemp though, wow was he an overrated player. Dunked like mad but there was essentially no other part to his game at all offensively. Its why they always floundered in the playoffs. Back then you could not win playing that style at all and they were always upset early in the playoffs.

FWIW, I spent plenty of time listening to guys like Debusschere, the Big O and particularly Wes Unseld complaining that the players of the Jordan era were a bunch of pussies.

FWIW, I spent plenty of time listening to guys like Debusschere, the Big O and particularly Wes Unseld complaining that the players of the Jordan era were a bunch of pussies.

Debusschere is a crazy old man who also said he could destroy Oakley on the court despite being a 6'6, 220 lb white guy who smoked two packs a day during his prime and, similarly, Oscar said he'd beat Jordan despite not being able to dribble with his left hand. The old dudes are out of their minds. 99% of the players in the league during the sixties couldn't get a sniff at a D-III school today.

Kemp had that one playoff run where it looked like he was about to take the next step, but then he imploded. I think he got arrested a few years back sitting in a pickup truck with a bag of weed, coke and some handguns.

IMO, as for the league, it definitely lost its luster in the short term because Stern and David Falk figured out that people who didn't like basketball would still tune in to watch Magic Johnson run up and down the court and throw alley-oops. IMO, they set out to make it an alley-oops league which alienated the die-hard basketball fan. Then you add in the guaranteed contract and guys like Tim Thomas and Al Harrington who your team is forced to pay to stay home and there ya go.

Its not just that though. Its the whole mentality of the game. Im sure their feeling is that those stars were more protected because the NBA made them the faces of the league and it would die without them and if they were around they would have stood up to them or been even better because now they would be protected by the rules. But I cant imagine Jordan or Barkley or Hakeem getting dunked on and then patting the guy who did it on the back especially if they started posing and staring them down. It would have been a brawl. Were guys more friendly off the court? Obviously. The Dream Team is where that started to become very clear. But I cant imagine Blake Griffin dunking on a teammate of Oakleys and then when he goes to the free throw line have oak shoot him a glance of respect in the game itself saying "wow thats impressive". Oakley would be telling him to try that on him next time and see who ends up as the highlight of that play because it wouldnt be the ball in the hoop it would be Griffins head hitting the floor and a fight starting. Now you have players negotiating with each other to try to make mega teams.

IMO, as for the league, it definitely lost its luster in the short term because Stern and David Falk figured out that people who didn't like basketball would still tune in to watch Magic Johnson run up and down the court and throw alley-oops. IMO, they set out to make it an alley-oops league which alienated the die-hard basketball fan. Then you add in the guaranteed contract and guys like Tim Thomas and Al Harrington who your team is forced to pay to stay home and there ya go.

Yup. The league based itself solely around the dunk and the stars that dunked it. Rather than making the teams the stars like in football they made the players the stars, kind of like pro wrestling. The problem with that approach is eventually guys get older and cant carry the league anymore. You always have a franchise name to fall back on but they promoted stars and fans with no affiliation to a team. Shaq comes in the league everyone buys a Magic jersey. Shaq goes to LA they become Laker fans. Shaq goes to Miami they become Heat fans. Shaq turns into Oliver Miller and they are no longer fans of any team. It also changed the way players were taught and wanted to be taught. Im sure the league has missed out on so much talent because you have guys that are 6'11" wanting to be point guards or being told to be point guards at the high school level. They hate contact. Cant play with their back to the basket. And are way too skinny by the time they get to the NBA because they have wanted to remain slim to play the point and hoist up 3s. It certainly works for some players (a guy like Durant who is probably 69 or so doesnt have the frame to pack on that kind of weight), but there are others who Im sure could have been players had they been taught a different skillset early on.

The contract thing is a great point. The fact that the NFL got the hard cap in their sport early is a big reason that they set themselves apart from everyone else. It cant be dominated by a few teams and when guys dont play well they get cut. And its 100 times harder in the NBa to carry 1 or 2 dead weight players because of the roster size than in the NFL, but you carry these guys forever. It hurts the sport.

I think this weekend's ASG and Dunk Contest made it abundantly clear that these hipster doofuses that have taken over the sport refuse to compete with one another. It was refreshing to see Derrick Rose looking like he wanted to kill himself when Lebron, Melo and Howard were practically giving eachother hand jobs in the intro's.

The dunk contest is useless now because they refuse to have one guy lose and one guy win. The super friends nonsense is just bizarre.

I don't think the Gatling hand shake was so bad. Gatling had just swatted a shot. The fact that he even tried to block Kemp was commendable. Most of these pricks now would just have ducked and covered their faces so they wouldn't be on the poster. I do agree about the pussification of the league. Weren't there Riley Rules? NO LAYUPS. You can't help the player from the other team up because it conserves the opponents energy and saps yours, etc.

Yup thats the one. Just shoved him out of the way stared him down and the Gatling gun responds with a handshake? So funny. That is the attitude that made people tune out in droves when the old guard all started to show their age in the later part of the 90s. Jordan punches his teammates in the face. Oakley throws guys to the ground when they try to dunk. Gatling shakes the hand of the guy who made him look like a fool. Back to Kemp though, wow was he an overrated player. Dunked like mad but there was essentially no other part to his game at all offensively. Its why they always floundered in the playoffs. Back then you could not win playing that style at all and they were always upset early in the playoffs.

Shawn Kemp was a BEAST back in the day. Before the drugs and Cleveland, Kemp couldnt be stopped. Freak!

• 4 weeks later...

Gasol's not shaking his soft image anytime soon after what happened last night:

Man, the elevation he gets on this one is insane. I can't really think of too many guys his size who've been able to leap reactively like he does. Connie Hawkins and McDyess before he hurt his knee maybe.

Archived