Shaun Ellis Says Jets have no loyalty

Lego My Lageman

He was benched for the 247th player taken in last year's draft.

The Pats were total retards for paying him $4M and Ochozero $3M. And people complain about $3.5M for Plaxico who started all 16 games and caught 8 TD passes from one of the league's worst starting QB's.

Belichicks personnel decisions, especially with veteran players, is awful. Outside of Welker, I wonder if any of those vet pickups were anything more than just dumb luck when they used to work out. Ellis was worth about 1.5 million on the market and they paid him 4. Ocho was done. Hes been done for two years. So was Fat Albert. But they paid them for no return. Luckily they have Brady there and he buries these personnel mistakes.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how the Jets could not find money for Ellis, but were able to pay Plax $3 Million. I side with Ellis on this one- Jets showed more loyalty to an ex-con who did not play in two years over a long-time Jet veteran. $4 Million vs. $900,000? Not a tough decision.

That ex-con was a bigger difference maker throughout his 10yrs(?) in the league than Ellis ever was.

That ex-con was also managed to be bigger difference maker on our awful offense than Shaun managed to be for their awful defense and was paid an extra mil.

I'm rooting for the Pats to win it all to shut the Giants and their obnoxious fan-base up, but guys like Shaun Ellis make me pray that the field just blows up and every player is turned into bloody Super-Bowl confetti....

That ex-con was a bigger difference maker throughout his 10yrs(?) in the league than Ellis ever was.

That ex-con was also managed to be bigger difference maker on our awful offense than Shaun managed to be for their awful defense and was paid an extra mil.

I'm rooting for the Pats to win it all to shut the Giants and their obnoxious fan-base up, but guys like Shaun Ellis make me pray that the field just blows up and every player is turned into bloody Super-Bowl confetti....

^ this...verbatim

Don't think this is about money. Hell, the Pats let Bruschi, Vrabel and Seymour go after they all dedicated the whole careers to the Pats and they're still Patsie Homers. It is what it is, but I think it's telling that Ellis says the Pats outwork everyone.

The Pats don't sugar coat it or lie to them. They tell them straight up what their plans are regarding keeping them or letting them go.

You cant hate Ellis...any of you would have dobe the same thing...just from the way things blew up for the Jets this i totally back Ellis on everything he said. Rex and Tanny really messed up and get full of themselves. their own selfishness trickled onto the players which created this hell storm...all we can do is sit back and pray they learn from all this...

You cant hate Ellis...any of you would have dobe the same thing...just from the way things blew up for the Jets this i totally back Ellis on everything he said. Rex and Tanny really messed up and get full of themselves. their own selfishness trickled onto the players which created this hell storm...all we can do is sit back and pray they learn from all this...

I don't agree that NOT offering a player 4 plus million and then observing him underperform for the team that did so is "messing up" but maybe you're right

I dont really think its that telling. Belly had the benefit of finding a QB and winning the Super Bowl in his second season. We tried the take it or leave it approach with Mangini and it didnt work. The Pats can afford to out work everybody because they have a HOF coach and QB.

You try that in Seattle and the players will tell you to go F yourself.

Really think so?

I understand the hatred towards Belihcick and Brady....it is amusing, but to ignore how hard they work is flat out ignorant.

The Patriots are not good just by accident.

If Belichick went to Seattle, they would be better. If player A did not like it, they would be gone.

The fact is, old Jets vets follwed Belichick or found their way to Foxboro after he became coach.

I am sure whatever scenario got him to Seattle, a stream of Patriots vets would soon follow.

And then he would bring in vets like Ellis and Waters....and soon those disenters would STFU or find their way to another team.

"with a team and fan base that really appreciated him..." Really? Maybe the fans did, but offering him the vet minimum is not a sign of appreciation. He took the money- and so would anyone. Steve Smith was in the same situation- he chose the Eagles over the Giants. Pissed off a lot of Giant fans, but how can you blame him? Make the money when you can. If you want loyalty, get a dog.

Yeah but then he talked smack about the Jets afterwards, which is pretty messed up considering the organization treated him well for years and gave him that big payday when he deserved it. I'm glad he didn't get that ring that he wanted.

Really think so?

I understand the hatred towards Belihcick and Brady....it is amusing, but to ignore how hard they work is flat out ignorant.

The Patriots are not good just by accident.

If Belichick went to Seattle, they would be better. If player A did not like it, they would be gone.

Yeah, Belichick is a good coach, no doubt...but just not quite good enough in the last two Superbowl appearances. Brady's gonna be 35 years old in August, Branch 33 in July and Welker might not be back next year. Wilfork could keel over any time now. Last ngiht might have been Belidick's last shot for the time being, because the only good player the Pats have after those guys are gone is maybe Green-Ellis, but that's iffy at best.

Don't get me wrong, if Belidick is still there next year the Pats will still be good football team, but the last several years now have proven that they are beatable in the playoffs.

Yeah, Belichick is a good coach, no doubt...but just not quite good enough in the last two Superbowl appearances. Brady's gonna be 35 years old in August, Branch 33 in July and Welker might not be back next year. Wilfork could keel over any time now. Last ngiht might have been Belidick's last shot for the time being, because the only good player the Pats have after those guys are gone is maybe Green-Ellis, but that's iffy at best.

Don't get me wrong, if Belidick is still there next year the Pats will still be good football team, but the last several years now have proven that they are beatable in the playoffs.

Of the 20 free agents they have, only about a quarter (Welker, Anderson, Carter(knee), Slater. Koppen or Connolly and Love (RFA)) are ones that we need/would like back.

With two first and two seconds, which are reallistaclly going to be 3 seconds this year with some deffered to next year. *sigh* there is room to bring in talent.

This team has that dreaded "P" word atatched to them with 30+ players w/ 4 years or less of experience. They might never amount to anything more than they are now. Players that were, again, a play away from a title.

The Patriots have about a 5 year window, Brady wants to play until he is 40 and Belichick does not want to coach until Levy's age. Perfect symmetry or what.

In a year if this D has not gotten better than it is now, than the window is about closed.

However, with Brady they can still make a trip because the AFC is not what it was and the NFC is clearly better right now.

It's a non story.

The Jets went from being the media darlings in the middle of the season to being the medias scapegoats at the end of the season. Now that the whole dissention thing has been played, the average reporter can't find enough non stories to bash the Jets with.

I'm not saying they don't deserve some of the criticism they're getting, but half the bullsh*t he said, who said, she said, what was said crap is getting ridiculous and overblown.

Your team is fine, and at MOST you had a disappointing season that was magnified towards the end because A COUPLE people couldn't keep their mouths shut.

I hate the we love them or we absolutely hate them coverage that NY sports teams get.

Sorry your dream did not come true. Obnoxious Giant fan base? Maybe. But sure beats a bunch of loud mouths who think they actually won something and "own" the town. Keep quiet Green, the Giants rule NY/ NJ...just get used to it.

Sorry your dream did not come true. Obnoxious Giant fan base? Maybe. But sure beats a bunch of loud mouths who think they actually won something and "own" the town. Keep quiet Green, the Giants rule NY/ NJ...just get used to it.

3 points:

- The ref in Arz. makes the right call and your sitting at home AGAIN, Coughlins out a job and your team doesn't SNIFF the Super Bowl so dont talk like you were a powerhouse team all year. However you got hot when it counted and thats all that matters so ill leave that at that

- No matter how hard this may be for you Giants fans to understand, football is played every year. This year the Giants own NY. Fine. But did you guys own the town the past few years when we were in the playoffs and the Giants were golfing? No, you didn't. The Jets were the talk of the town and the Giants were getting the reputation of being perennial chokers. If the Jets win it next year, no one will be talking about the Giants anymore.

- The reason your fanbase is so obnoxious (besides Mikeg85 I actually enjoy his input on this site) is because although your team plays in a completely different conference and what they do doesnt affect the Jets in anyway whatsoever (except when we play them ONCE every four years) your still HERE. ON A NY JETS FAN SITE. GLOATING. The stadium we share in will never be "Giants Stadium" or "Jetlife stadium". Ever. No matter how many championships the Giants or Jets bring there. So what's the point of gloating? I don't get it? But like I said before, here you are, after winning a worlds championship, on a Jets fan message board.....why?

3 points:

- The ref in Arz. makes the right call and your sitting at home AGAIN, Coughlins out a job and your team doesn't SNIFF the Super Bowl so dont talk like you were a powerhouse team all year. However you got hot when it counted and thats all that matters so ill leave that at that

- No matter how hard this may be for you Giants fans to understand, football is played every year. This year the Giants own NY. Fine. But did you guys own the town the past few years when we were in the playoffs and the Giants were golfing? No, you didn't. The Jets were the talk of the town and the Giants were getting the reputation of being perennial chokers. If the Jets win it next year, no one will be talking about the Giants anymore.

- The reason your fanbase is so obnoxious (besides Mikeg85 I actually enjoy his input on this site) is because although your team plays in a completely different conference and what they do doesnt affect the Jets in anyway whatsoever (except when we play them ONCE every four years) your still HERE. ON A NY JETS FAN SITE. GLOATING. The stadium we share in will never be "Giants Stadium" or "Jetlife stadium". Ever. No matter how many championships the Giants or Jets bring there. So what's the point of gloating? I don't get it? But like I said before, here you are, after winning a worlds championship, on a Jets fan message board.....why?

You know why I am here? Not to gloat- I registered back in December to hear the smack jet fans were saying about the Jet/ Giant match.

Quotes like this from your coach:

“To me, it seems clear that right now we are the better team and we are going to remain the better team for the next 10 years. Whether you like it or not, those are the facts, and that’s what going to happen. I know it’s going to happen because our style of football is different. We are going to take over the town whether the Giants like it or not, so those fans on the fence that like both teams are going to be Jets fans in the end. The truth is, if I am going to watch one game, I am going to see the Jets, without a doubt. We are better.”

To say the things he said without winning anything is just obnoxious. And Jet fans followed suit. The "Sanchez is better than Eli" that I heard for so long is way off base. Sanchez sucks and Jet fans are just figuring this out.

I am proud of my team, but I also have a lot of respect for ownership and management. The 'Giant way' happens to work and the Rex way just does not.John Mara is truly a professional and would NEVER tolerate the antics from his head coach or players. rather than try to criticize, Rex should try to emulate organizations like the Giants and Patriots, Steelers and Packers. teams that win, and win quietly.

The Jets will never win with Rex, and Tannenbaum, in control. The sooner Woody realizes this, the better it would be for the organization. I would love to see a successful Jet team. It would be great for the city, like Met/ Yanks ten years ago.

Ellis hasn't produced big numbers (14 tackles and one sack), and he appeared in only three plays in the AFC Championship Game, but he's okay with that. He's in the Super Bowl. He came tantalizingly close with the Jets, reaching the AFC title game in 2009 and 2010.

So lets see, $4 mill for 15 impact plays...$266,666 per play..

$910k for 15 impact plays...$60,666 per play

Good job Beli

glad you got your money but STFU.

He is ok that he played only 3 plays in the AFCC game but Rex and Tanny TELL him he will be a back-up and he feels slighted...RIGHT

Exactly and the 10-11 season he didn't really show face till the Pats game. Where were Ellis' big plays then?

Jets management is known for not being loyal to players. That's been the case for many years now. The way Cotchery, B.Smith, and Ellis left just shows it. I don't feel bad for Ellis though. Brad and Shaun staying in our division may have meant something. Also, not sure why he was told he would be a backup when he came off a great year for us (stats for 3-4 DEs don't tell the story obviously) and Mo Wilk didn't prove anything yet.

Jets management is known for not being loyal to players. That's been the case for many years now. The way Cotchery, B.Smith, and Ellis left just shows it. I don't feel bad for Ellis though. Brad and Shaun staying in our division may have meant something. Also, not sure why he was told he would be a backup when he came off a great year for us (stats for 3-4 DEs don't tell the story obviously) and Mo Wilk didn't prove anything yet.

Considering DL being the strenght of the defense...I'm pretty sure they didnt miss Ellis one bit. And Mo Wilk is going to be a beast.

Considering DL being the strenght of the defense...I'm pretty sure they didnt miss Ellis one bit. And Mo Wilk is going to be a beast.

Wilkerson was the only player that didn't make me want to shove a grenade down my throat during those last several games. He was pretty awesome the last 2-3 weeks of the season. He struggled getting that much PT for the earlier part of the year but it's hard to argue with the means when you look at how strongly he finished.

So when the Jets keep players past their prime, overpay them and let them keep their starting jobs for too long, they're idiots who don't know what they're doing. When they do the exact opposite and let those guys leave, who get massively overpaid by another team, and show no signs of missing those players at all, they are not loyal. Neither Smith nor Ellis deserved the money they got from their new teams nor did they come close to earning it this season. The Jets made the right decision with them both, and loyalty has absolutely nothing to do with it. As far as Cotchery is concerned, considering the guy asked for his release, I'm not exactly sure how the Jets granting it to him in any way says anything negative about them.

So when the Jets keep players past their prime, overpay them and let them keep their starting jobs for too long, they're idiots who don't know what they're doing. When they do the exact opposite and let those guys leave, who get massively overpaid by another team, and show no signs of missing those players at all, they are not loyal. Neither Smith nor Ellis deserved the money they got from their new teams nor did they come close to earning it this season. The Jets made the right decision with them both, and loyalty has absolutely nothing to do with it. As far as Cotchery is concerned, considering the guy asked for his release, I'm not exactly sure how the Jets granting it to him in any way says anything negative about them.

Cotchery felt his days as a jet were over. he asked for a release or to be traded cause he was gonna be replaced by derrick mason. he got brought in for a physical and that's when the jets let him go

the Jets kept this invisible man on their payroll for 10 seasons including the last 8 of them in which he was invisible for much of the season and the last 5 where his "skills" declined to pretty much zero.

He sucked as badly for the Patriots for the 4 million they peed away on him and they will "loyally" kick him to the curb after only one year

as for the others, Smith's 16 million dollar deal with the Bills turned out great for them...Cotchery quit because the Jets told him he wasn't a number two receiver and went to the Steelers for vet mins where he was the number 5 receiver when he wasn't inactive

Cotchery requested his own release because the Jets weren't going to make him a starter and had just drafted a slot receiver. What were they supposed to do? Keep an overpaid 3rd/4th string WR - who dropped 20% of the passes thrown his way the year before - against his will?

Brad Smith got an offer of $4M/year no one in their right mind would match (or even offer in the first place).

Ellis got a ridiculous offer as well of $4M. No one other than Shaun Ellis wishes the Jets matched that.

There isn't one thing the Jets should have done differently regarding these three, even in hindsight. At best one could say they shouldn't have made Ellis an offer at all, but then the criticism would have been, "How could they not even make him any offer even for the vet minimum???"

Archived