Keller says Jets meltdown was 'worst-case scenario'

Jetfan13

INDIANAPOLIS — The last time Jets fans saw Dustin Keller, he was trying to calm Santonio Holmes down in the huddle in Miami as the Jets’ season went down the tubes.

Keller could not believe it was a month ago when the Jets lost 19-17 to the Dolphins and Holmes watched the final two minutes from the bench after fighting with teammates.

“It was just a bad situation,” Keller said. “Things just fell the wrong way. It’s the worst-case scenario. We have a lot of competitors on the team. When things just started falling apart there were cameras in the ... well I guess for the media it was the right place.

“But it was the wrong place at the wrong time.”

Keller, an Indiana native, spoke with The Post inside the ESPN offices here between interviews.

After a dismal end to an 8-8 season and the fallout that has followed, Keller sounded optimistic. He said he has spoken with quarterback Mark Sanchez about doing everything they can to fix the fractured locker room. They are already planning a “Jets West” camp in California for Sanchez and his receivers.

The question this year will be if Holmes shows up. Last year, Holmes was a no-show and now the relationship between Holmes and Sanchez is under the microscope.

Keller said he expects Holmes to be welcomed back by the team.

“Santonio is a big playmaker,” he said. “He’s a great guy in the locker room. I think pretty much everyone would consider him a good friend on the team. It’s just really uncharacteristic of him. We know that things can be settled, and he’ll be a huge piece for us next year.”

Keller said the picture that has been painted of the Jets locker room over the last month is not entirely accurate.

“I think it’s been a little bit blown out of proportion,” Keller said. “Obviously, we do have some problems that we need to address.

“It’s just not as bad as things have been made out to be.”

Santonio is a cancer. Once Sanchez starts crapping the bed again next year, he will become the same cancerous growth that infected the locker room. Tannebaum and the Jets are setting themselves up for the exact same situation next year. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.......well, ya know. The steelers didn't get ride of their super bowl MVP for a 4th round pick for no reason. They were begging teams to take Holmes off their hands and Tanny was more than willing to oblige.

Santonio is a cancer. Once Sanchez starts crapping the bed again next year, he will become the same cancerous growth that infected the locker room. Tannebaum and the Jets are setting themselves up for the exact same situation next year. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.......well, ya know. The steelers didn't get ride of their super bowl MVP for a 4th round pick for no reason. They were begging teams to take Holmes off their hands and Tanny was more than willing to oblige.

if sanchez craps the bed we dont have a chance anyway.. we all gotta remember at the beginning of the year we knew we didnt have the offense we had the year before but we were dependent on sanchez's growth... the team will be fine

what about if he DOESN'T crap the bed

or such such a thought allowed here amongst the Sanchez Haters club??

You see this is the kind of stuff that gets me about the message board communities-there IS no "Sanchez Haters Club", there are only Jets fans and AS Jets fans we ALL want the same thing. The difference is there are those that rate a player on what they have last seen from him and those that use excuses like "well he took us to the AFCGC two years in a row and had more road wins blah blah blah". It's bullcrap sg3. Now "if" Sanchez "DOESN'T crap the bed" and the Jets win the Super Bowl next year then, well then that is what we have all wanted all along. The problem is a lot of us saw a player that may be beyond repair with bad habits he has picked up-like fumbling, and having an uncanny knack for throwing pick 6's-THAT'S the player "I" saw...I don't know maybe we were watching different years or something because the 2011 season version of Mark Sanchez showed this Jets fan NO ABILITY in being able to or even knowing HOW to pick up a 3rd and long with a pass that goes PAST the 1st down markers-I don't know what happened to the guy we all watched in 2010 and parts of 2009...I fear he may be gone for good

Sorry, there is a Sanchez haters club even if you don't want to face reality

And what if Sanchez had a bad year, like Eli did, like Brees did, like alot of great one's had. And what if he grows from it?

Do the SHC guys come out and say, well, I was only rooting for the Jets? C'mon, the SHC is synonomous with the SOJ club,,,you can't help it, but deep inside that what you guys are for life...SOJ's members

And what if Sanchez had a bad year, like Eli did, like Brees did, like alot of great one's had. And what if he grows from it?

He hasn't had one bad year. He's had 3 and has shown no growth. For every Eli or Brees who struggled early on in their careers to become elite there are literally hundreds of other QB's who struggled their first three years and remained awful. Every statistical measure says Sanchez sucks so I'll go with that and the eye test rather than just blindly hope Sanchez figures out how to read defenses and perform at a competent level.

Do the SHC guys come out and say, well, I was only rooting for the Jets? C'mon, the SHC is synonomous with the SOJ club,,,you can't help it, but deep inside that what you guys are for life...SOJ's members

absolutely on target

You're a Jet fan -- root for the ALL the Jets and root for them even when, heavens to betsy, they have their worst season in history and go 8-8.

Keller showing some leadership. Nice to see. Ether makes the team A LOT stronger and Sanchez a lot better or they go 3-13 next year and everything is gutted and they start from scratch again.

I actually think this is all REALLY good for the team and the wakeup call they needed. Really do.

it's a shame a true fan like you will prob never see jets win a SB, at least u have Clemson....oh wait lol (70 pts)

@assmop>>>Mark Sanchez showed this Jets fan NO ABILITY in being able to or even knowing HOW to pick up a 3rd and long with a pass that goes PAST the 1st down markers

3rd and long would be the operative words here.

@jetsfan80>>>>>So I assume you supported Gholston? And Dewayne Robertson?

Can't pick and choose. If you don't root for its players you can't be a fan of a particular team. I admit they sucked, but you still have to root for them when they are wearing your uni.

At this point I feel there is more of a "Sanchez Apologist Club" (you guys are a bunch of S.A.Cs.) as opposed to a Sanchez haters club.. You guys refuse to look at him objectively and actually think the Jets made it to 2 AFC championship games BECAUSE of HIM. You could have put a dozen different QBs on the Jets in 2009 & 2010 and they could have gotten you to the superbowl, forget about the AFC championship.

@assmop>>>Mark Sanchez showed this Jets fan NO ABILITY in being able to or even knowing HOW to pick up a 3rd and long with a pass that goes PAST the 1st down markers

3rd and long would be the operative words here.

by 3rd and long I mean like anything over 7 yards...screens and draws don't cut the mustard-a 3rd and 15 the Jets wouldn't even ATTEMPT-I would love to see what the stats were on the Jets on 3rd and 7+ yards last year-I'll bet you we didn't even convert 25%

As a Giants fan (as I'm sure sg3 will point out yet again YESYEYSEYSY!!YWEYYSY!!!!!)

Sanchez needs to be cut some slack. He was immediately thrust into the spotlight, went to 2 AFC championships and always played well in the playoffs. All he needs is to make better decisions on the field and probably adjust his attitude off the field. Seriously, I admit the guy sucked this year but the fact is he has really, REALLY, REALLY good mechanics. If he studies hard, works hard, and takes direction better he could turn into a very dangerous NFL QB. Just forget the negative for a moment and look at some of the best passes he has made in his career....Fact is, there aren't a lot of guys in the league who can drop a deep ball like he can.

I think you'll be OK Jet's fans. I just hope for your sake that FOR ONCE your team tries to build on potential instead of trying to buy a 1 year SuperBowl like always and woo Peyton. I'm pulling for you guys.

by 3rd and long I mean like anything over 7 yards...screens and draws don't cut the mustard-a 3rd and 15 the Jets wouldn't even ATTEMPT-I would love to see what the stats were on the Jets on 3rd and 7+ yards last year-I'll bet you we didn't even convert 25%

I would like to go back to when he had that alleged injury and break things down from there. He was generally bad all season, whether throwing long or short. However, it seems like there was a point last season at which he stopped even *attempting* the longball. As bad as he can be at times, I don't believe he's ever had such a weak arm as he did at the end of last season.

So I assume you supported Gholston? And Dewayne Robertson?

So even Vernon Gholston.

So what you're saying is that YOU were hoping that Robertson never became a dominant DT and Gholston never became the second coming of LT??? As bad as any draft pick might be...I will NEVER understand this way of thinking.

I'm a Jet fan....

I root for ALL the Jets

If they wear the Jet uniform, I root for them. Bryan Cox is the best example -- absolutely hated him as a Dolphin -- became a Jet, loved the guy

There is a big difference between being a fan and blindly following someone cause they are on the team you love.

Keller showing some leadership. Nice to see. Ether makes the team A LOT stronger and Sanchez a lot better or they go 3-13 next year and everything is gutted and they start from scratch again.

I actually think this is all REALLY good for the team and the wakeup call they needed. Really do.

Seems all of the young vets are coming out of the woodwork and stepping it up in the leadership area. It's about that time for those guys to realize that the Pace/Scott/Leonhard/Woody/etc. group of veterans is at their end and guys like D'Brick, Mangold, Keller, and Harris are the next generation of leaders.

I thought that's we have you for. Seriously I can't think of a single reason to feel good about Sanchez next year, none. Yet would love it if next year if Sanchez tears it up and You, Smash and the rest of S.E.X.C get to tell my fat a$$ "We told you so you fat tub of goo". Im a Jet fan first. But really nothing I can think of gives me hope for him,.

There is a big difference between being a fan and blindly following someone cause they are on the team you love.

no there isn't. If that were true the stadium would have been empty during the 1-15 season. You can always criticize and debate choices but if it is yourteam you ALWAYS back them, period.

I LOVE the Jets. Love them. But I don't blindly love every player cause they dawn the green and white, thats just ridiculous. I love the team regardless of wins or losses, pro bowler or little leaguer.

If someone loves every player blindly cause they are on this team, that doesn't make them a fan, that makes them a moron.

I dislike Holmes greatly. Does that mean I am not a fan?

no there isn't. If that were true the stadium would have been empty during the 1-15 season. You can always criticize and debate choices but if it is yourteam you ALWAYS back them, period.

You seemed to have misread. I said nothing about the team. I LOVE THE JETS, no matter what. I have the scars from Foxborough to prove it. I said liking a PLAYER, not the team, blindly.

But really nothing I can think of gives me hope for him,.

Ditto. He is too immature to make it in the NFL, let alone NY. I loved the story of how he stopped following all the NY beat writers on twitter because of his delicate sensibilities. lol

Archived