Sign in to follow this  
Jetman_67

Manning Medically Cleared to Resume Football

and there it is. You're a Jets fan, really?

unfortunately yes..

Why? Am I not up to snuff on your fan worthiness scale?

Because we give him the best chance to win the Superbowl. Maybe SF and us are equal in that regard. But that's it. Where the heck would he go otherwise? Miami and lose. Jacksonville? LOL. Where else?

I think SF might be the best chance, cause their division is crappy.. Then again, going through NYG, GB and NO in playoffs isn't a fun idea either..

I have more faith in Rex to constantly field a good defense then I would SF.. He's fielded a top a 5 defense by DVOA 6 years running, and was #6 in his first year.. Basically never had a defense that wasn't in the top 25% of the league in his entire of his career leading a team

Edited by CTM

Just heard Condon interviewed, Lombardi asked him if he could ever imagine Peyton playing in a different uniform, like Montana, etc.. His response was "You're going to get me in trouble here.... let me say this, there are some players who when they are done with their first team, they're done with football... Peyton isn't done playing football"

Also, Canfora spoke with him off set and apparently Peyton and Condon aren't interested in renegotiating his contract to give the Colts more time to decide..

He also said the he could play today and take the hits, the only question is his effectiveness, but his effectiveness will be a lot better 2 months from now.

So basically, he's probably leaving the Colts.. He isn't interested in retiring, the docs have cleared him to play..

That leaves for who..

Imo, the best chances in order are

1) SF.... Bad timing for Jets chances, QB has no contract with the team, they've exploded this year and the defense looked like ours did in 2009. Would make a lot of sense,unfortunately. Harbaugh may not be interested, as if he got all the way with Manning, Manning would overshadow him

2) Az..... Dome, Fitz, weather.. Apparently can get out of Kolb contract easily, don't know for sure

3) NYJ... NYC, close to Eli, great defense, Tom Moore, Willingness/desire to make bake signings.. Biggest negative is Sparno imo, but maybe Moore could take the Haley passing coordinator job?? I also fear that Rex will want to stick with Sanchez

6) Mia... Just can't see this, Az has better playing conditions, Jets/SF are more ready to win now

7) Bal... Should be in the running, but won't be, imo..

Third? That's not good.

Third? That's not good.

Lol..just my completely uninformed speculation.., I had us at #1 until Sparano hiring cause I think it signals a desire to stick with Sanchez..

Lol..just my completely uninformed speculation.., I had us at #1 until Sparano hiring cause I think it signals a desire to stick with Sanchez..

Nah I have the sam train of thought...I'm still waiting for some passing coach name to show up...Lol we had a better shot with Schitty here. ****inAy I wonder if that's actually true...Can't be...anyway...legalize it.

Nah I have the sam train of thought...I'm still waiting for some passing coach name to show up...Lol we had a better shot with Schitty here. ****inAy I wonder if that's actually true...Can't be...anyway...legalize it.

I think sparano was brought in to be run focused, he's not going to be fired obviously.. If Schotty was here, he'd be disposable enough to do whatever Manning was comfortable with

The more appropriate question is why wouldn't he play here.

Having he and Elis kids/wives be able to spend time together, a strong Defense, and a reunion with Tom Moore are pretty tempting.

Why go to Miami and become part of that cavalcade of fail?

1. Irsay is using the media to try and paint Manning as a cripple so he can avoid paying him $28 mil, dump hIs body on the street and draft Andrew Luck without looking like the Wicked Witch of the West. Anyone who has ever read Irsay's Twitter feed knows that he's a rabbit-eared buffoon.

2. Manning's people are going to wait until the absolute last second expires on his career before he hangs up the cleats, even if it means locking himself into a cycle of denial regarding his ability to throw a football.

Bottom line: you have a nitwit, Silver Spoons do-nothing owner panicked at the prospect of losing the PR battle to a prideful icon who may or may not be able to continue his career.

My personal take is that Peyton will be cut, then you'll see video of him, in June, throwing footballs around a football field, inciting a wild courtship battle between five or six different teams.

The Jets will make a spectacle of themselves chasing him, lose out, and then have to crawl back to Sanchez and tell him they still have, like, super-confidence in him.

Manning will proceed to lead the 49ers to the Super Bowl, losing to the upstart Dolphins, 42-37z

You're not the first person to highlight Arizona, but I don't quite understand why. Is that the "big money" pick or something? Because as good as Larry Fitzgerald is, I just can't imagine that he would base his decision on that.

Jets and San Fran make sense if he wants a go at a ring.

unfortunately yes.. Why? Am I not up to snuff on your fan worthiness scale?
I don't judge. However, I recall you stating that you are a fan of the "team" on more than one occasion to justify your criticism for certain individuals.

Because we give him the best chance to win the Superbowl. Maybe SF and us are equal in that regard. But that's it. Where the heck would he go otherwise? Miami and lose. Jacksonville? LOL. Where else?

It is laughable that people who say he wouldn't come here because of our OL think he might go to SF. Their OL wasn't as good at pass-blocking as our much-maligned line was last year, and unlike the Jets they don't have any OL starters (cough* Wayne Hunter *cough*) who seem obvious to be replaced.

maybe you guys are right

who knows

Edited by sg3

You're not the first person to highlight Arizona, but I don't quite understand why. Is that the "big money" pick or something? Because as good as Larry Fitzgerald is, I just can't imagine that he would base his decision on that.

If I was a betting man I'd put my money on the Arizona Cardinals as the #1 team on his list because we've all seen them go that route before with Kurt Warner and get to a Super Bowl doing it. Then there's this from Tommy:

"The Jets will make a spectacle of themselves chasing him, lose out, and then have to crawl back to Sanchez and tell him they still have, like, super-confidence in him."

and this is exactly what will end up happening and the Jets will suck again while Mike Tannenbaum makes a play for some other defensive player and waste his whole summer doing it while the rest of the team and especially the offensive side of the ball suffers. I just don't have a lot of confidence in the front office anymore-they haven't been making hardly ANY significant moves to help this team since right after Rex was hired with Scott, Leonhard, and the courtship of Sanchez-I DID like the Braylon Edwards move but of course we all know what has happened since...

If I was a betting man I'd put my money on the Arizona Cardinals as the #1 team on his list because we've all seen them go that route before with Kurt Warner and get to a Super Bowl doing it. Then there's this from Tommy:

"The Jets will make a spectacle of themselves chasing him, lose out, and then have to crawl back to Sanchez and tell him they still have, like, super-confidence in him."

and this is exactly what will end up happening and the Jets will suck again while Mike Tannenbaum makes a play for some other defensive player and waste his whole summer doing it while the rest of the team and especially the offensive side of the ball suffers. I just don't have a lot of confidence in the front office anymore-they haven't been making hardly ANY significant moves to help this team since right after Rex was hired with Scott, Leonhard, and the courtship of Sanchez-I DID like the Braylon Edwards move but of course we all know what has happened since...

Exactly. if they're going to sign him a nd cut Sanchez, then do it. And get on with the business of building the rest of the team. But don't spend weeks talking to manning to the exclusion of the rest of the team as he stupidly di with Assomougha. To ahev $ 8 million of cap room and not repalce Hunter and Smith was a disgrace.

Exactly. if they're going to sign him a nd cut Sanchez, then do it. And get on with the business of building the rest of the team. But don't spend weeks talking to manning to the exclusion of the rest of the team as he stupidly di with Assomougha. To ahev $ 8 million of cap room and not repalce Hunter and Smith was a disgrace.

not to mention the Holmes over Braylon move-talk about a bad bet...and don't forget the summer before spent on trying to convince Revis to come back-that's TWO straight years in a row chasing after a CB for Tannenbaum Bugg...the dude has been failing badly-getting Manning may just save a lot of jobs that are going to be lost by this time next year if we have another Sanchez-led .500 season

I don't judge. However, I recall you stating that you are a fan of the "team" on more than one occasion to justify your criticism for certain individuals.

I've been a "fan" of this team for almost 30 years. What seems to be lost on a lot of you guys, is that when you a criticizing a fan favorite like Sanchez, it's no different the those who criticize other Jets players when excuse making for him. So i criticize Sanchez, a guy like Smashmouth or villian criticize Wayne Hunter (RT), Plaxico and Santonio (WR's), Shonn Greene (RB), Schotty (OC).. ALL JETS... In effect they are knocking 5 Jets whereas I am only knocking 1. How exactly does that make me a worse fan?

Fitz and dome is what AZ has... But I put them ahead of the jets cause of the Sparano hire. Before that, as evidenced by my sig, I thought the Jets were the best bet.. The team is lining up for ground and pound, that's not something that is likely to be attractive to Manning.. Sanchez is Rex and Tanny;'s guy, will be hard for them to give up on that. Whereas in Miami you have a guy like Matt Moore who played better then Sanchez, but wasn't drafted by the current admin so it will be easier for them to seek an upgrade. So I also think it's less likely that we'll sell out for Manning

Edited by CTM

If Sanchez is ever going to amount to anything, us pursuing Manning and then having to go back to him if we miss out isn't going to change that.

Fitz and dome is what AZ has... But I put them ahead of the jets cause of the Sparano hire. Before that, as evidenced by my sig, I thought the Jets were the best bet.. The team is lining up for ground and pound, that's not something that is likely to be attractive to Manning

If Manning becomes a Jet, it will be because three or four other teams watched him throw a football and passed on him. It would be such a classic Jets move to sign Manning just to get the back pages for a few weeks, even though his fastball only reaches the high 60's.

I've been a "fan" of this team for almost 30 years. What seems to be lost on a lot of you guys, is that when you a criticizing a fan favorite like Sanchez, it's no different the those who criticize other Jets players when excuse making for him. So i criticize Sanchez, a guy like Smashmouth or villian criticize Wayne Hunter (RT), Plaxico and Santonio (WR's), Shonn Greene (RB), Schotty (OC).. ALL JETS... In effect they are knocking 5 Jets whereas I am only knocking 1. How exactly does that make me a worse fan?

I think you and I are in the same boat this winter Chan. It was you who pretty much started the conversation on the board about us and Peyton Manning-I wasn't too sure and skeptical like the rest of the "wait until he gets hit once and his head rolls down the field" crowd but now believe that

A-it COULD happen and that Woody Johnson NEEDS for it to happen with this current SB occupants and that

B- hey every player on every play could get hurt.

also, I'm of the mind that if the New York Jets go into the 2012 season with Mark Sanchez locked in as the starter with n o other player even given a CHANCE to unseat him then I swear my interest in the game of football will significantly diminish to the point of not even bothering to waste my $$ on the NFL ticket...I'm a poor guy and that 2-3 hundred bucks means a lot to this family...

• Upvote 1

If Manning becomes a Jet, it will be because three or four other teams watched him throw a football and passed on him. It would be such a classic Jets move to sign Manning just to get the back pages for a few weeks, even though his fastball only reaches the high 60's.

I really think you underestimate the opportunity here. Again, Rex has lead a top 6 defense every single year as a DC/HC. IF Manning looks at longer history, he should feel better about us continually fielding a defense that doesn't require him to be superman anymore to win. We have a longer track record of being competitive then SF. Heck the last game the dude played was us knocking him out of the playoffs

Add in NYC, close to family and joint marketing opportunities with his brother. And it really is a good opportunity. Certainly better then the Dolphins

If Sanchez is ever going to amount to anything, us pursuing Manning and then having to go back to him if we miss out isn't going to change that.

with his fragile ego and mindset of always being a "young NFL QB" It will destroy him, and he won't understand HOW the Jets could even CONSIDER doing that to 'him' what with all of his hard work-hell he even has Jets west to prove just how much he really cares...it's too bad he still sucks and will NEVER be a 63% passer with twice as many TDs as INTs. Sanchez is a .250 hitting 3rd baseman who will hit maybe 12 homers and knock in 63 runs

with his fragile ego and mindset of always being a "young NFL QB" It will destroy him, and he won't understand HOW the Jets could even CONSIDER doing that to 'him' what with all of his hard work-hell he even has Jets west to prove just how much he really cares...it's too bad he still sucks and will NEVER be a 63% passer with twice as many TDs as INTs. Sanchez is a .250 hitting 3rd baseman who will hit maybe 12 homers and knock in 63 runs

Manning to Mia watch

Word. Sanchez appears to have minimal support in the locker room as it is. If the team publicly courts his replacement--and you KNOW Tannenbaum would make a show out of it--there's no coming back from that for Sanchez.

Word. Sanchez appears to have minimal support in the locker room as it is. If the team publicly courts his replacement--and you KNOW Tannenbaum would make a show out of it--there's no coming back from that for Sanchez.

Matt Flynn or Greg McElroy are my plans B and C....I hope Sanchez isn't even ON the team by summer...

Ohh, trust me, I agree with your premise. He'll likely handle this situation very immaturely. I guess what I'm saying is that if he can't handle this like a man, he probably lacks the mental toughness required to have a long term successful career anyway. Look at it this way, back in the Chad debates, I used to say the guy was never going to stay healthy, It certainly would've been better for us if his arm just fell off (instead of the wrist) in 2003 forcing us to move on. Rothlisberger was drafted 1 spot ahead of us in 2004. Maybe if Chad was deemed done for earlier, we end up with Rothlisberger. I look at this a little like that, the quicker you can out a loser and move on, the better..

yea a lot of talk about it on Twitter

Can't see it. What's the attractiveness?

And with the current HC's ties with Flynn, I have to imagine that's where he'd want to go

I really think you underestimate the opportunity here. Again, Rex has lead a top 6 defense every single year as a DC/HC. IF Manning looks at longer history, he should feel better about us continually fielding a defense that doesn't require him to be superman anymore to win. We have a longer track record of being competitive then SF. Heck the last game the dude played was us knocking him out of the playoffs

Add in NYC, close to family and joint marketing opportunities with his brother. And it really is a good opportunity. Certainly better then the Dolphins

You're Manning. You have offers from the Niners and the Jets in front of you. You honestly pick the Jets because their defense's DVOA is marginally better? All Manning would have to do is Google News search "NY Jets" and look at any article written in the past two months to close the door on that option. He's not going to gamble away the last two years of his career on Rex growing up.

And with the current HC's ties with Flynn, I have to imagine that's where he'd want to go

Manning will fill the seats in Mia, Flynn wont. Ross would probably be inclined to give him a less incentive based contract. Manning also owns a condo in south beach.

Sources: Miami Dolphins on Peyton Manning's short list of desired landing spots

Peyton Manning views the Dolphins as one of the desirable teams when/if he's released by the Colts, sources say

By Omar Kelly, Sun Sentinel

7:42 p.m. EST, February 3, 2012

Peyton Manning is in the middle of a difficult breakup with the Indianapolis Colts, and it appears he's ready to run into the arms of another NFL team.

An NFL source says Miami is on the short list of teams Manning would like to play for when/if the Colts release him to avoid paying a $28 million bonus, which is due on March 8.

Manning and his wife own a condo on South Beach and a source said they'd love to relocate to South Florida if the fit is right. A second source confirmed Manning's interest in the Dolphins.

Playing for the Dolphins would allow Manning to remain in the AFC, and the Colts are on Miami's schedule next season, which is an added bonus.

Dolphins owner Steve Ross has openly pledged to do everything in his power to land a franchise quarterback this offseason, and NFL sources say Manning is at the top of the team's list of targets, which also includes Green Bay backup Matt Flynn, who has learned under new Dolphins coach Joe Philbin the past four seasons.

But there are concerns about Manning's health, considering the 11-time Pro Bowl pick, who turns 36 in March, underwent three surgeries on his neck last offseason. Manning's neck issues forced him to sit out all of the 2011 season.

Manning's agent, CAA's Tom Condon, sat down with the NFL Network on Friday to clear up a few of the pressing issues surrounding his clients' health.

"There had been substantial discussion that [Peyton Manning] wasn't going to be able to play, and that it was too dangerous and foolish for him to even think about it, and that's not accurate," Condon said.

"He is sound in the structural part of his neck and he can certainly take a hit and play a football game. How effective he would be in the game, probably not as effective today as he would be two months from now.

"He's on a timeline," Condon said of Manning's recovery.

"I don't know how much different this is from an ACL, where a guy comes out of the surgery and isn't able to do very much, and then progresses to the time he gets to training camp [in late July]. We expect him to play."

Manning, who will likely receive a salary in the neighborhood of $15 million per season, must first pass a physical. He'll likely be asked to show off his arm strength in a workout for prospective suitors.

The Dolphins, Washington Redskins, Seattle Seahawks and Cleveland Browns are teams desperately looking for a quarterback this offseason, but the Arizona Cardinals and New York Jets are also expected to pursue Manning.

"There are some guys that when they leave their previous team they're done. Peyton is not done," Condon told the NFL Network.

"He's enthusiastic. He loves to compete. He loves the game, and wants to play, and he's a great player."

Unlike most of Manning's suitors, the Dolphins have the cap space (roughly $15 million) to get a multi-year deal down without making major moves, and should feature a solid defense — they finished sixth in points allowed per game — to make the Dolphins playoff contenders if the offense improves.

Manning would also have a few weapons to work with in Reggie Bush, Davone Bess, Anthony Fasano, Brian Hartline and Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall, whom Manning spent time with in Indianapolis on Friday during an appearance.

The Dolphins have a multi-tiered plan to upgrade the quarterback position, and considering Manning could be cut, and signed before free agency starts on March 13, it's clear he's at the top of the pecking order.

However, the Dolphins can't officially make a move until Colts owner Jim Irsay releases Manning, and his divorce with the Colts is final.

You're Manning. You have offers from the Niners and the Jets in front of you. You honestly pick the Jets because their defense's DVOA is marginally better? All Manning would have to do is Google News search "NY Jets" and look at any article written in the past two months to close the door on that option. He's not going to gamble away the last two years of his career on Rex growing up.

Its not just this year.. SF is new to this good defense business, Rex has a longer track record. And why does Rex need to grow up, he's been incredibly successful here with bad QB play. If I'm manning, I look at it and say that no matter what happens, I'm probably not going to ever be the QB i was from 2004-2006, so I'd be looking for a team that has the best chance of supporting multiple SB runs. I don't see why SF is anymore attractive on that front then NYJ. AFC is the weaker conference, its the conference he's more familiar with, and maybe he doesn't want to think about having to knock Eli out of the playoffs every year (or vice versa).

Sources: Miami Dolphins on Peyton Manning's short list of desired landing spots

Peyton Manning views the Dolphins as one of the desirable teams when/if he's released by the Colts, sources say

haha.. Maybe I'm deluding myself, cause we instantly become third best team in the division if this were to happen. But I just don't see it.

Manning will fill the seats in Mia, Flynn wont. Ross would probably be inclined to give him a less incentive based contract. Manning also owns a condo in south beach.

I don't doubt the owner wants Manning, I'm just not sure why he'd want to go there and if the HC would be on board.

haha.. Maybe I'm deluding myself, cause we instantly become third best team in the division if this were to happen. But I just don't see it.

and there's this one Chan...

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20120203sources_say_dolphins_on_peyton_mannings_short_list_of_desired_landing_spots/srvc=home&positi

I don't doubt the owner wants Manning, I'm just not sure why he'd want to go there and if the HC would be on board.

Mia played very well 2H of year, marshall bess hartline and fasano better weapons than we can provide. also busch and a real stud LT in Long.

Warm weather is key also