Jets hired a 4-3 Dline coach (Dunbar, Vikings)

Barton

Significance? Will Jets be looking to play more 4-3 fronts, bring in different personnel etc, alters draft strategy?

Devito - Ellis - Pouha - Wilk ?

I think the reality of this hiring is that the Jets went out and hired a great position coach. Not sure its indicative of the type of front we'll employ - Rex doesn't really have a formation anyway.

Glad to see this guy on board - and the LB coach intern guy staying. Both blips of good news for the Jets.

love this DL hire

between this upgrade and the offensive upgrade of removal of Son of Marty and company

looking forward to 2012

and the Jets playing a year from this weekend in NOLA

plus the REPEAT at HOME at Jet Life in 2014

a 4-3 defense is usually about getting pressure from the front 4

the guys already know how to occupy gaps. No one needs to teach devito and pouha how to clog the middle

they all could get better on 3rd and long (when most defenses are in a 40 front, for example nickel and dime all have 4 down linemen).

Devito - Ellis - Pouha - Wilk ?

I think the reality of this hiring is that the Jets went out and hired a great position coach. Not sure its indicative of the type of front we'll employ - Rex doesn't really have a formation anyway.

Glad to see this guy on board - and the LB coach intern guy staying. Both blips of good news for the Jets.

Completely agree with this. The Jets have in the past 3 years and will continue to play in a whole variety of fronts and they just brought in the guy that thought would be the best possible coach for them, regardless of the formation. It's hard not to love this hire when you consider the kind of success the Vikings line has had under him and the fact is, if there is any one position that I will absolutely give Rex 100% benefit of the doubt, it's the DL. I don't think there's any question he's shown he really knows what he's doing there. I also think that's part of it, Rex is probably making a concerted effort to reduce his own personal time commitment to coaching the DL, thus going out and grabbing an experienced and successful coach like Dunbar.

That IS interesting. I would welcome some significant 4-3 action. Generting pressure from the D line would really be a pleasure to see.

Dunbar is an excellent DL coach. BUT he had superior talent with the Vikings and that makes it easier to be great.( The Williams guys and Allen.) That is a no brainer. Yet I like Wilkerson and Pouha, Dixon. Who knows what a real DL coach can do for our guys. I hated the fact that we had a safety ( Carrier) coaching our DL. What sense did that make? Carrier is a guy who wants to be a DC and REX gave him the opportunity to learn how to coach the DL. DUH! No more OJT in Florham Park. Dunbar brings valuable experience and knowledge to our DL. I have not read the official signing and I am hoping this is a done deal.

was Karl Dunbar officially hired yet? i've never read an article to say he actually "signed" with us. there was an article in the daily news saying he was offered and he was "expected" to be hired.. but i dont think there's real evidence that he's actually "hired"

cottrell was a 3-4 guy who coached a 4-3 here

good coaches can coach anything

he'll coach it the way rex wants it

Yeah but our defense sucked when Cottrell was here.

Better analogy is Tomlin (even though it's more LeBeau than him), but your point still stands with a lot of good coaches.

However there are some good DC's who it's hard to say because they've been pretty strict in always changing the scheme to what they know best, when permitted to, and the defense suffers when outside that DC's own comfort zone (Wade Phillips comes to mind).

Yeah but our defense sucked when Cottrell was here.

Better analogy is Tomlin (even though it's more LeBeau than him), but your point still stands with a lot of good coaches.

However there are some good DC's who it's hard to say because they've been pretty strict in always changing the scheme to what they know best, when permitted to, and the defense suffers when outside that DC's own comfort zone (Wade Phillips comes to mind).

agreed. it is a little worrisome if they start to look for players that fit the scheme rather than coaching to the talent, because then you get rid of guys like farrior and vilma.....but on the other hand, thay have more good lineman than backers.....if this hire is legit, it would not shock me at all for the jets to take a DE #1 in april

agreed. it is a little worrisome if they start to look for players that fit the scheme rather than coaching to the talent, because then you get rid of guys like farrior and vilma.....but on the other hand, thay have more good lineman than backers.....if this hire is legit, it would not shock me at all for the jets to take a DE #1 in april

Vilma is and was a good player but certainly nothing special. My only complaint was that we didn't shuttle him off a year earlier when he still had significant trade value. We didn't get rid of Farrior. We made him a higher offer than he took from Pittsburgh (if I remember correctly it was because he was insulted at how much less it was than we gave to Ray Mickens to play NB).

#1 pick in April - and this clearly depends on who presents value at our pick - I think is going to be either a WR or RT with an outside shot at TE or RB (but only if they already believe Powell to be a wasted pick).

Not necessarily my wish list but that's my prediction. The new coordinator is brought in to right the ship of the weakest unit and therefore gets the first pick. That plus (pre-combine) there looks like there will still be some good pass-rushing talent in round 2. But again, if an elite pass rushing prospect somehow slips to us I can easily see us taking him.

Archived