Peyton - jets better be in the mix after schefter report

aec4

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you have to wonder why a guy who is due $28 million is suddenly saying he'll work cheap

must be he's getting signals teams aren't interested ?

or shefter is trying to get followers

either way I call BS

Because he already knows that 28M is gone?

but why give away leverage and say you'll work cheap ? only reason is if his agent has been sniffing around and getting very tepid interest, or shefter made it up

Because 1). He's confident and 2). He wants to go where he wants to go not to the only ones willing to pay

but why give away leverage and say you'll work cheap ? only reason is if his agent has been sniffing around and getting very tepid interest, or shefter made it up

It's a good question. But I'm not sure he said he'd work cheap. Just that money wouldn't be guaranteed.

As aec says, he's probably confident. I also believe he wants to get as many people involved as possible.

If he can play, I'm sure he's in line to make a ton of money this year, even without guarantees.

I doubt Schefter made it up.

Its not really giving up leverage. Its simply a way of telling teams who dont think they can afford him because of the cap or have owners worried about his neck that they have security. Manning has made so much money that he wants a chance to win. He does not want a team like the Redskins to be his only suitor. A willingness to work on a pay for bonus basis is more of a cap accounting move more than limiting cash payouts. Because Manning did not throw for a single yard last season he could get a $16 million salary for throwing 10 yards in 2012 and not have a dime of that count on the cap. He played no snaps making PT percentages simple. He was never active on gameday which is another mechanism to avoid the cap. Those are bare minimum type incentives that are almost guaranteed to occur, unless of course you are Vernon Gholston.

Washington, San Fran, Miami, Arizona, Jets, Titans, etc etc etc. Where do you honesty think the Jets fall on the list of potential suitors?

If I'm Peyton, it's San Fran and Miami with the Jets and Cards as fallbacks. No way do I touch that Redskins situation. If I'm him, I play in San Fran for free.

or maybe he REALLY wants out of Indianapolis

Sure he does Jim - you can't blame the Colts for wanting to draft Luck and groom him under Peyton and you can't blame Peyton for wanting nothing to do with that. Peyton wants desperately to play and all he hears in his head is tic-toc - not coins rolling around.

If I'm Peyton, it's San Fran and Miami with the Jets and Cards as fallbacks. No way do I touch that Redskins situation. If I'm him, I play in San Fran for free.

It has to be San Fran from his POV. Miami would be a disaster with Ross as his owner.

It has to be San Fran from his POV. Miami would be a disaster with Ross as his owner.

No doubt. Miami would scare me because, like you said, the owner is a psycho. The Jets would scare me too, only because the locker room looks really unstable and Rex kinda fosters that. I don't get the Arizona rumors at all. That team doesn't appear close.

I also like Jason's thought, that Baltimore could be/should be a dark horse here. If Manning shows a fastball, they'd be early Super Bowl favorites, IMO. Flacco is too inconsistent to count on, especially considering that team probably only has one good run left.

I think it's because of all the talk about him being done and retired. Truth is he will make a ton of money and incentives. This is just his way to exude confidence he can play and shot up the naysayers. Now any one who says he is done or too hurt to play falls victim to the : " If he really is hurt no way would he offer to play for incentives." Truth is Peyton knows all but maybe 5 teams will do whatever it takes. Once again the Archie Manning machine is ahead of the game.

No doubt. Miami would scare me because, like you said, the owner is a psycho. The Jets would scare me too, only because the locker room looks really unstable and Rex kinda fosters that. I don't get the Arizona rumors at all. That team doesn't appear close.

I also like Jason's thought, that Baltimore could be/should be a dark horse here. If Manning shows a fastball, they'd be early Super Bowl favorites, IMO. Flacco is too inconsistent to count on, especially considering that team probably only has one good run left.

The Ravens should be a dark horse, which would be a bit ironic considering the whole Indy-Baltimore situation.

Getting Peyton would definitely mean the end of Flacco since his contract will be up in a year so it will be interesting what happens to him when he is on the open market.

Its not really giving up leverage. Its simply a way of telling teams who dont think they can afford him because of the cap or have owners worried about his neck that they have security.

but he could say that after the colts make their decision

why do it early ?

makes no sense

The Ravens should be a dark horse, which would be a bit ironic considering the whole Indy-Baltimore situation.

Getting Peyton would definitely mean the end of Flacco since his contract will be up in a year so it will be interesting what happens to him when he is on the open market.

You'd think Flacco would have some value on the trade market--maybe a 2nd rounder? The talent is there, it's just his inconsistency holding him back. Somewhat similar to Sanchez, except Sanchez combines inconsistency with really, really bad habits.

You'd think Flacco would have some value on the trade market--maybe a 2nd rounder? The talent is there, it's just his inconsistency holding him back. Somewhat similar to Sanchez, except Sanchez combines inconsistency with really, really bad habits.

They'd be a market for Flacco, but likely not a high pick because he can walk in a year. He has the rifle arm, though, which teams love.

“@AdamSchefter: Peyton Manning is willing to create a contract that would contain no guaranteed money up front and would be incentive laden with bonuses.”

You have to get in then. HAVE TO. it's risk free

you have to wonder why a guy who is due $28 million is suddenly saying he'll work cheap

must be he's getting signals teams aren't interested ?

or shefter is trying to get followers

either way I call BS

I'm not sure how you go from "no guaranteed money up front and would be incentive laden with bonuses." to "you have to wonder why a guy who is due $28 million is suddenly saying he'll work cheap"

He could want 30 mil if he played in 14 games and goes over 4000 yards. I don't see how giving the team some insurance against injury is willing to work cheap.

the more teams that get in because they think they'll be able to afford him, the higher the "incentives" go.

ETA: that's my theory on why he's suddenly saying he'll come cheap, anyway. OR he's not anywhere near as good as he was.

Would I love too see a healthy Manning here???.hell yes....

But I just don't see why he'd want to come here...

You guys are just setting yourselves up to bitch about the organization more when he goes elsewhere. ....

ya, but you want SF for totally different reasons. Not that there's anything wrong with that

jerry-seinfeld-george-costanza.jpg

Would I love too see a healthy Manning here???.hell yes....

But I just don't see why he'd want to come here...

You guys are just setting yourselves up to bitch about the organization more when he goes elsewhere. ....

Stan we're Jets fans-we only complain because we care-because we WANT to win-you've been commenting as if people here are Jets fans for one reason and that's to bitch and moan about the team. I can assure you that that is NOT the case. Every single one of us here that has been in these threads here, on twitter, and facebook is pissed because it SHOULD be the Jets in a focking Super Bowl someday instead of the Giants and Patriots-again....the last thing I want to do is complain about my favorite team-I WANT to be a happy Jets fan and right now, I'm not. Now you tell me not to become "like one of them, the idiots over at Jet Nation" well sorry I'm already in...and trust me, there is no congregation around here that meets to say how we are all going to approach each issue head on as complainers. I'm pissed because again, it's NOT the Jets playing in this game-again...fock...I FOCKING HATE that it isn't MY FOCKING TEAM PLAYING IN THIS FRICKING GAME TONIGHT GRRRRRRR

Archived