Peyton - jets better be in the mix after schefter report

aec4

Who said that? Manningham made a terrific catch. The ball had to be put in the tiniest of windows or nothing happens. This wasn't some jump ball where Eli just heaved it up and Manningham out-willed the defenders or anything. The pass was perfect, and the play wasn't even to go to Manningham. You think that the difference between the Jets and Giants on that play is Manningham rather than Manning? Sanchez would have never seen Manningham in the first place because he'd have been sacked while never taking his eyes off (I think he said it was Nicks) who was completely covered. Truth is Manningham was covered as well and only a perfect pass would do. I don't give a crap about the Giants but how can you not appreciate what the QB did there? The ball hit him in the hands over the proper shoulder and he did what he's supposed to do. Not to take anything away from him because he made the catch and it was pretty sweet, but if he didn't catch it he would have been the goat of the game after screwing up earlier. That's how great the pass was.

Welker usually catches that pass but it was terrible. You're making it sound like Brady drilled him between the numbers. The pass was awful to a WR who got more separation than any QB has a right to ask for.

I dont get why you think I'm not giving credit to the QB. I love Eli, probably my favorite non Jet in the league...but I thought it was fairly obvious he has much better weapons than Brady, especially with Gronkowski hobbled.

As far as Welker, ball hit him in the hands, you have to make that catch. We're getting a bit ridiculous with expectaions out of elite QB's, they're not perfect...you hit a WR in the hands, it needs to be caught. Catchable pass and wins the Patriots the SB.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really can't blame Sanchez nor the Offense in general on that Colts AFCCG...with a 17-6 lead, your D has got to kick it up a notch. The reality is the Colts were outplayed and then they adjusted...our D did not adjust hence the loss.....Sanchez can't be blamed for everything dude. did he do anything in the 4th quarter? No but come on man the D has got to step up.

They were playing peyton manning in his house, with an ofense that wasn't sustaining drives against a bad Colts defene. Could they have played better? Sure, but offense could've helped out

This is just like when Brett Favre was out there, The Jets have to make the move and bring him in the fold. they cannot afford Miami to get him and then make the AFC East even harder than before. After the Giants won the Super Bowl last night, if the Jets want to make any real news than Peyton is the only way to go. If Sanchez doesnt want to stick around look to ship him to the NFC but send him to Buffalo or Miami cause he can come back to haunt Gang Green

I dont get why you think I'm not giving credit to the QB. I love Eli, probably my favorite non Jet in the league...but I thought it was fairly obvious he has much better weapons than Brady, especially with Gronkowski hobbled.

As far as Welker, ball hit him in the hands, you have to make that catch. We're getting a bit ridiculous with expectaions out of elite QB's, they're not perfect...you hit a WR in the hands, it needs to be caught. Catchable pass and wins the Patriots the SB.

Yeah the ball hit him in the hands. The ball hit him in the hands after he contorted his body and got his hands on the ball without a defender in sight.

The pass was horrible. If Welker caught it then it would have been a great catch. You are simplifying it to insinuate that the pass was anywhere near where it should have been. Brady had a 6-foot window and barely got it to the outside of that window (necessitating great body control and catch). Manning fit it into a window the size of 2 footballs (also requiring his receiver to step up his game). The underlying difference between the two game-deciding passes was one was a great pass and one was a terrible pass.

Manning's pass hit Manningham in the hands a hell of a lot more than Brady's pass hit Welker in the hands.

Yeah the ball hit him in the hands. The ball hit him in the hands after he contorted his body and got his hands on the ball without a defender in sight.

The pass was horrible. If Welker caught it then it would have been a great catch. You are simplifying it to insinuate that the pass was anywhere near where it should have been. Brady had a 6-foot window and barely got it to the outside of that window (necessitating great body control and catch). Manning fit it into a window the size of 2 footballs (also requiring his receiver to step up his game). The underlying difference between the two game-deciding passes was one was a great pass and one was a terrible pass.

Manning's pass hit Manningham in the hands a hell of a lot more than Brady's pass hit Welker in the hands.

Agree to disagree...I thought he should have caught it.

He should have caught it but the throw was definitely bad. He hits Welker in stride and he probably walks into the endzone.

I just watched the play again...Phillips was trailing, Brady threw it back shoulder...wasnt a perfect pass but that needs to be caught. Total drop

Agree to disagree...I thought he should have caught it.

I don't disagree he should have caught it. I disagree that the difference was not primarily the passes thrown.

One was a great pass into the tiniest of windows -- exactly where it was expected to be thrown. A perfect pass = a first down.

The other was a terrible pass to a wide open WR who was expecting it to be thrown at his chest or at least to the proper side of his body. A perfect pass = a touchdown and the game is over.

I don't see how anyone could agree to disagree with that.

I don't disagree he should have caught it. I disagree that the difference was not primarily the passes thrown.

One was a great pass into the tiniest of windows -- exactly where it was expected to be thrown. A perfect pass = a first down.

The other was a terrible pass to a wide open WR who was expecting it to be thrown at his chest or at least to the proper side of his body. A perfect pass = a touchdown and the game is over.

I don't see how anyone could agree to disagree with that.

It wasnt a terrible pass. It's a routine back shoulder throw. That play is made all the time in the league.

It wasnt a terrible pass. It's a routine back shoulder throw. That play is made all the time in the league.

I really have no idea where you're getting this from. Sperm is 100% on this one, and I'm not really sure how there's room for debate. A routine back shoulder throw? Are you kidding me? There's literally no reason whatsoever that ball should have been thrown to the back shoulder, and certainly not back shoulder and 3 feet over your shortest WRs head. If that ball hits Welker in stride, he takes it all the way in. The truth is even if Welker gets that catch, it's a great one and he falls to the ground and doesn't gain another yard as opposed to getting a touchdown, which would have been entirely on Brady. Welker certainly could and perhaps should have caught that pass, but that doesn't change the fact that the throw was garbage. The thing I find so comical is how the position people take on this completely flips when the discussion moves from Sanchez to Brady. When Sanchez makes that same throw, the WR is considered completely blameless and it's all on Sanchez, but when Brady does it, it's now supposed to be the exact opposite. Truth is, Brady continued his string of 7 seasons of completely unimpressive postseason performances last night.

I really have no idea where you're getting this from. Sperm is 100% on this one, and I'm not really sure how there's room for debate. A routine back shoulder throw? Are you kidding me? There's literally no reason whatsoever that ball should have been thrown to the back shoulder, and certainly not back shoulder and 3 feet over your shortest WRs head. If that ball hits Welker in stride, he takes it all the way in. The truth is even if Welker gets that catch, it's a great one and he falls to the ground and doesn't gain another yard as opposed to getting a touchdown, which would have been entirely on Brady. Welker certainly could and perhaps should have caught that pass, but that doesn't change the fact that the throw was garbage. The thing I find so comical is how the position people take on this completely flips when the discussion moves from Sanchez to Brady. When Sanchez makes that same throw, the WR is considered completely blameless and it's all on Sanchez, but when Brady does it, it's now supposed to be the exact opposite. Truth is, Brady continued his string of 7 seasons of completely unimpressive postseason performances last night.

I'm fairly consistent on this type of stuff. If Braylon drops that ball in the Colts game last year I wouldnt blame Sanchez. Those are plays that need to be made in big spots. That's a routine NFL pass. Welker just happens to be white and unathletic...ball needs to be caught.

I'm fairly consistent on this type of stuff. If Braylon drops that ball in the Colts game last year I wouldnt blame Sanchez. Those are plays that need to be made in big spots. That's a routine NFL pass. Welker just happens to be white and unathletic...ball needs to be caught.

I can understand thinking that, under the circumstances, Welker needs to make that catch. If that were the Jets out there in that situation, I would certainly feel that way. That said, the difference becomes the point that you're trying to argue that the catch wasn't made significantly more difficult, and the potential upside of the play severely limited, because of a very poor throw by Brady.

I really have to laugh at Jets fans in their assessment of this teams offense and in some cases defense as well.

On offense we DO NOT have the talent at the skill positions to contend with elite defenses I dont give a sh!t who the QB is...... Also our so called super defense over the last 3 years has never made the big stops in the big games and they are getting much older at LB and have gaping holes at safety. Whos replacing those weaknesses after the Manning contract is signed ?

We have a 35 year old posession WR and a small so called #1 in Holmes who refuses to go over the middle and displays alligator arms at an alarming rate yet people look at him as some kind of pro bowler based on one season and one catch,,,,,, we have no RB's who can make plays in the passing game and a major problem protecting the QB with both RT and LT. If Manning comes here will all of this go away ?

Do you expect this team to make the big plays in the playoffs magiclly because Peyton Manning is here ? The Colts never seemed to do it for all the years in the playoffs and they actully had a pass rush and a few HOF WR's.

Peyton Manning is Obviously a better QB than Mark Sanchez but this team is going in the direction of a rebuild and if any of you think a QB like Peyton Manning will change all of that you simply do NOT understand the team concept. The Giants won the SB this year once again because their Defense got hot and because they limited mistakes down the stretch while other teams basicly handed them games......... they didnt even have to worry about a division rival because their division basicly sucked other wise they dont even make the playoffs.

Peyton even won his lone SB after many many years of Choke due to his defense playing out of thier minds that season shutting down everyone they played throughout the playoffs.

If you guys think the Jets can win a SB without Safties, Tackles, LB's and WR's just because Manning is here your out of your minds. I would love to see the reaction If Manning comes here and the Idiot pack of WR's we have run the wrong patterns and refuse to put in some extra work to improve their game. Wonder how all that pans out in a Peyton Manning Locker room. But wait I forgot Peyton Manning is not only going to make all these players better hes also a psycologist who can cure their stupidity as well.

I will say this ...If Manning comes here I can see us winning some more games during the REGULAR season 10 maybe even 11 just on his back alone ....BUT when it comes to the playoffs and you have to compete with COMPLETE playoff teams it all comes crashing down yet again no matter how good Peyton Manning is..... He was not able to do it all by himself his first 13 or so years what makes you think he takes this mess of a team all the way now ? 13-3 records in a weak division is nothing impressive when you keep getting knocked out in the playoffs VS better teams.

You are awesome Smash. One of a kind. I love how you insult every Jets fan assessment of the Jets and then proceed to spew this utter garbage out as if you really have some higher understanding of the game. Classic Smashmouth. You're all idiots. Now listen to me make a fool of myself.

The Patriots WR's were the reason they couldnt beat the Giants. You need talent...elite QB's dont turn scrubs into good players. Good players are good players. We have zero on offense and one on defense.

This is ridiculous. The Jets have 2 good players on the entire team? Lmfao. Okay. Honestly think some of you have completely lost grips of reality about where the Jets stand talent wise.

And just ask Deon Branch and Wes Welker how much and elite QB does for them...both were nobodys in the league without Brady.

They were playing peyton manning in his house, with an ofense that wasn't sustaining drives against a bad Colts defene. Could they have played better? Sure, but offense could've helped out

I see your point, but we did beat him in 2010 remember....I just think if our D played a bit better we may have already won a SB from the last couple of years

Except it wasn't. On a routine back shoulder throw the WR doesn't backpedal to keep his balance. Routine back shoulder throws are planned or barely off the shoulder. This was off the same side as the back shoulder but it required full extension and more.

Yes he should have caught it. No it was not a routine pass. It was awful.

Why does it take so much to get you to admit that fag Brady made a bad throw to a wide open receiver with the game on the line? I would have given crap to Sanchez had he made that throw you bet your a$$ I'm giving it to Brady.

If the crux of your argument is that we could stand to upgrade the receiving corps I don't think you'll get much argument from anyone. But the reasons for those plays was not because one QB has great receivers and the other has terrible ones. Welker has been the premiere possession WR in the NFL for some years now and he was wide open. All Brady has to do is make an easy throw on the money and he didn't.

And the reason Manningham got that pass thrown to him is the primary "elite" target (if not each of the top 2 elite targets) was covered by a horrible secondary and Manningham wasn't even what any 2009-2011 Jets fan would call "open" either. But for a ridiculously perfect pass he was covered with more safety help on the way.

This is ridiculous. The Jets have 2 good players on the entire team? Lmfao. Okay. Honestly think some of you have completely lost grips of reality about where the Jets stand talent wise.

And just ask Deon Branch and Wes Welker how much and elite QB does for them...both were nobodys in the league without Brady.

Who are these great players on the Jets that I'm missing? The Jets have wiffed on draft after draft. Compared to the Giant, the rosters are so far apart. The Giants have talent everywhere and their best corner got hurt in the preseason.

That play is made in almost every single game that is played on Sunday. 95% of Holmes catches he's got to adjust in mid-air and catch it behind him. Hell Plax did it with one hand on the side line.

Welker isnt a traditional WR. He was asked to make a traditional WR play and failed. Seriously, when have you ever seen Welker make a catch that wasnt thrown perfectly?

I heard a report that Snyder is ready to throw a one year 30 million guarantee plus incentives at Manning to join the Redskins in 2012.... sounds extremely Snyder-like to me and, amazingly it probably makes sense for a team being dragged down by Rex Grossman and John Beck in that position.

Look for the Archie Traveling Circus and Public Relations Rodeo to be arriving in our Nation's Capitol this autumn

Who are these great players on the Jets that I'm missing? The Jets have wiffed on draft after draft. Compared to the Giant, the rosters are so far apart. The Giants have talent everywhere and their best corner got hurt in the preseason.

The Jets are just as talented if not more. This is the same Giants team that dropped 4 straight games and loss 5 out of 6 at one piont. They have a QB, we dont, thats the difference.

The Giants were a 9-7 team w/ an elite QB. The Jets were 8-8 w/ one of the worst QB's in the league. Manning was 9-27 when he played the Jets and the only real play was a flukey 99 yard TD, his only TD on the day. IF Sanchez didnt play one of the worst game I've ever seen, the Jets beat the SB Champs.

The Jets are much better team than you are making them out to be.

The Jets are just as talented if not more. This is the same Giants team that dropped 4 straight games and loss 5 out of 6 at one piont. They have a QB, we dont, thats the difference.

The Giants were a 9-7 team w/ an elite QB. The Jets were 8-8 w/ one of the worst QB's in the league. Manning was 9-27 when he played the Jets and the only real play was a flukey 99 yard TD, his only TD on the day. IF Sanchez didnt play one of the worst game I've ever seen, the Jets beat the SB Champs.

The Jets are much better team than you are making them out to be.

I think that's insane, honestly. The only players we have that start on the Giants are Revis, Mangold and Harris. I'm not even sure Harris is better than Boley.

I think that's insane, honestly. The only players we have that start on the Giants are Revis, Mangold and Harris. I'm not even sure Harris is better than Boley.

Harris is a lot better than Boley.

While I would love to get Peyton Manning and do believe that it would instantly make us SB favorites, I just don't think its going to happen so I'm not getting my hopes up.

He'll be a Dolphin or Redskin IMO

He's not going to play for a team that's got the kind of holes those two have and he's not going to play for and idiotic schmuck owner like Snyder or Ross.

The main reason a story like this one floats is a signal to good teams w/salary cap issues that he can be had without breaking the bank or breaking up your team.

Based on his professional history, I would think Peyton's top choice would be a team with a great defense - that means the 49ers, Jets and Ravens and to a slightly lesser extent the Bears have to be on top of his wish list.

Did you recently join SMC on his journey to becoming a Giants' fan or something? You have seriously turned into a blind homer when it comes to that team. The Giants were a mediocre team who got hot at the right time and went on a run. They had a defense who got their crap together and learned how to hold off their opponents early while they waited for their QB to finally show up in the 4th quarter. They don't even make the playoffs in half or more of NFL seasons, and sure as hell don't get a home playoff game if not for playing in the league's worst division. The Jets and Giants had a one game difference in their record, which was their head to head game, which had more to do with horrendous tackling on one play than anything else, and all of that despite the Jets sporting Mark freakin' Sanchez behind center.

Honestly, what is insane? The Jets were 8-5 at one point and controlled their own destiny until their QB emploded. The Jets ended up a whole 1 game worse than the Giants. The Giants have one of the best QB's in the game, with an awful secondary and barely made the playoffs. Had to do it on the last game of the season. Coughlin was on the hot seat again this season and it looked like all but over for them until they got hot.

The Jets have one of the worst QB's in the game and were only 1 game worse then those Giants. If the Giants are soooo much more talented than the Jets, why didnt they win more games? Why did they drop 4 straight and 5 of 6?

Look, the Jets are just as talented if not more. Difference is at QB, ya know, the most important position in all of sports.

Honestly, what is insane? The Jets were 8-5 at one point and controlled their own destiny until their QB emploded. The Jets ended up a whole 1 game worse than the Giants. The Giants have one of the best QB's in the game, with an awful secondary and barely made the playoffs. Had to do it on the last game of the season. Coughlin was on the hot seat again this season and it looked like all but over for them until they got hot.

The Jets have one of the worst QB's in the game and were only 1 game worse then those Giants. If the Giants are soooo much more talented than the Jets, why didnt they win more games? Why did they drop 4 straight and 5 of 6?

Look, the Jets are just as talented if not more. Difference is at QB, ya know, the most important position in all of sports.

The Giants had injuries all season and lets be honest...they were dogging it at points. But they have a great QB and 4 very good pass rushers. Their safeties are underrated and so are their linebackers.

Offensively they have a good back in Bradshaw and 3 playmaking WR's.

Rex is a great defensive coach...that's why were able to win games. The talent levels on both sides of the ball are pretty weak though. We havent drafted well at all. We cant even draft well at running back...which is basically a free be pick.

sorry CTM but Archie Productions LLC will be taking their show to whoever throws the most guaranteed greenbacks in their direction and that team, my friend, will be the one that ALWAYS throws the most guaranteed greenbacks at everybody -- Daniel Snyder and the Washington Redskins

The Giants had injuries all season and lets be honest...they were dogging it at points. But they have a great QB and 4 very good pass rushers. Their safeties are underrated and so are their linebackers.

Offensively they have a good back in Bradshaw and 3 playmaking WR's.

Rex is a great defensive coach...that's why were able to win games. The talent levels on both sides of the ball are pretty weak though. We havent drafted well at all.

Every team has injuries, the Jets had their fair share as well.

Rex is a great coach, but he needs talent which he obviously has or the Jets wouldnt be in the playoff hunt every single season and made deep playoff runs that past 2 years. Sorry, you need talent, especially when you are handicapped by your QB.

And I disagree with this notion the Jets have drafted horribly. Gholston was a bad pick, Ducasse hasnt been as advertised as a 2nd round pick - otherwise, I have no problem with what the Jets have done in the draft. Its comparable if not better than most in the NFL over the last 4-5 years.

Every team has injuries, the Jets had their fair share as well.

Rex is a great coach, but he needs talent which he obviously has or the Jets wouldnt be in the playoff hunt every single season and made deep playoff runs that past 2 years. Sorry, you need talent, especially when you are handicapped by your QB.

And I disagree with this notion the Jets have drafted horribly. Gholston was a bad pick, Ducasse hasnt been as advertised as a 2nd round pick - otherwise, I have no problem with what the Jets have done in the draft. Its comparable if not better than most in the NFL over the last 4-5 years.

Gholston, Ducasse, Wilson, McKnight, Greene, Connor even Keller...none of these guys have been different makers. That Hynoski guy made more plays last night than Connor has made his entire career. And then obviously Sanchez as well.

Gholston, Ducasse, Wilson, McKnight, Greene, Connor even Keller...none of these guys have been different makers. That Hynoski guy made more plays last night than Connor has made his entire career. And then obviously Sanchez as well.

Disagree. Wilson, McKnight, Greene, Keller - all difference makers for the Jets. Maybe that doesnt mean much, but they've all come through 1 way or the other during the Jets success.

Sanchez and Gholston were bad picks, excuse me, horrible picks. I really dont have a problem with any of the others.

He's not going to play for a team that's got the kind of holes those two have and he's not going to play for and idiotic schmuck owner like Snyder or Ross.

The main reason a story like this one floats is a signal to good teams w/salary cap issues that he can be had without breaking the bank or breaking up your team.

Based on his professional history, I would think Peyton's top choice would be a team with a great defense - that means the 49ers, Jets and Ravens and to a slightly lesser extent the Bears have to be on top of his wish list.

Normally the answer to this post would be "well what does he care WHOSE money it is-it's all green" but the counter to this situation is that obviously Peyton isn't as concerned with money-he wants another SB win and he has a better chance of getting it with us than he does in either Miami or Washington

Archived