12 Men on the Field

Sharrow

So 17 seconds left in the game, Pats* need to drive 56 yards for a TD to win. They blow 8 seconds, and roughly half of the remaining time on an incomplete pass where the Giants have 12 men on defense. They get 5 yards and replay the down, but the time stays off the clock.

So in that situation, or one similar, why wouldn't you intentionally play with 12 men on defense? Or more? I'm no rules expert. Can you get away with 13 or 14? It's just a 5-yard penalty, and if the clock runs... why wouldn't you do it on purpose?

So 17 seconds left in the game, Pats* need to drive 56 yards for a TD to win. They blow 8 seconds, and roughly half of the remaining time on an incomplete pass where the Giants have 12 men on defense. They get 5 yards and replay the down, but the time stays off the clock.

So in that situation, or one similar, why wouldn't you intentionally play with 12 men on defense? Or more? I'm no rules expert. Can you get away with 13 or 14? It's just a 5-yard penalty, and if the clock runs... why wouldn't you do it on purpose?

I was thinking the same thing. At that point, as the rule stands now, just throw 5 extra defenders and make sure nobody gets a pass interference. :)

That play worked out great for the Giants.

buddy ryan used to do around the goal line.. rule should be changed to put time back on clock... also i think ryan had 14 defenders

Agreed. Think that should be the case for pretty much any defensive penalty in the last 2 minutes. Outside of a down field PI call, there's just way too little risk for defenders trying to preserve a lead to not see how much they can get away with.

I was thinking the same thing. At that point, as the rule stands now, just throw 5 extra defenders and make sure nobody gets a pass interference. :)

That play worked out great for the Giants.

Could you imagine if someone like BB tried that in the SB... I think the refs could throw and unsportmsanlike conduct penalty though... not sure

Archived