Is this rock bottom as a franchise?

Matt39

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cannot say this forcefully enough; Edwards was a disaster. He was bequeathed a team primed to dominate the AFC pre-Brady. And yet every year he effed it up like clockwork in ways great and small. Kotite, Carroll, Groh, Coslet and Mangini were all bad, but the talent wasn't there and in Mangini's case Tom Brady was. But wasted opportunity is far, far worse. Edwards pissed it away. And when you talk about running your mouth without backing it up and treating every victory as grounds for a Thanksgiving Day parade of self-celebration, Rex Ryan is a piker compared to Edwards. Ryan can actually coach; Edwards is still an idiot. How Woody Johnson hired him over Marvin Lewis and John Fox is a complete mystery.

Makes the most sense from what I read...Woody has no idea how to compete at the grass-root level.

Walking through NYC and seeing a Giants party for the second time in four years, while the Jets decided to treat a divisional game as their Super Bowl last season....I think this is probably the worst I've felt as a fan.

Could this year been any more embarrassing for the Jets?

yep, 2 AFC Champ games in the last 3 yrs, is definitely worse than 1-15 under Kotite!

yep, 2 AFC Champ games in the last 3 yrs, is definitely worse than 1-15 under Kotite!

Tenants in a stadium, a coach who cant shutup and a team that showed little interest in having his back, the other team in this town basically openly taking a piss on the organization who celebrated being the AFC runners up like they won something....like I said there were no expecations back then, it doesnt get much worse than it does right now.

And oh yeah, we dont have a qb.

I feel like we've already had our "SuperBowl or Bust" chance, we moved up in the draft which destroyed our ability to build a deep team, and signed every big name free agent we could. The windows closed and i think were going to have to rebuild for a few seasons. I dont know if Sanchez is our guy for the future but i think he deserves at least one season under a new OC, if he isnt it just means more rebuilding.

Tenants in a stadium, a coach who cant shutup and a team that showed little interest in having his back, the other team in this town basically openly taking a piss on the organization who celebrated being the AFC runners up like they won something....like I said there were no expecations back then, it doesnt get much worse than it does right now.

And again, the Giants have absolutely nothing to do with the current status of the Jets unless you are just completely obsessed with them and absolutely desperate to be a fan of theirs instead of the Jets.

Dude, deny it all you want....but it's a huge issue and our coach was the one that started it. We picked a fight with them and it blew up in our faces and now the fans have to take the brunt of it.

The Giants have won 2 Super Bowls in 4 years and beat the team that's been kicking the living sh*t out of us for the past 10 years, twice. It's ******* embarrassing.

Oh please, the thing with the Giants is just the usual hometown rivalry. The Patriots stole our coach right out from under our noses and won Super Bowls with him.

If not for Eli and the Giants the Patriots' 2007 team is declared the greatest in history, they win FIVE Super Bowls in 11 years and all the sportswriters and commentators will be telling us that we can forget all about Lombardi's Packers, Bradshaw and Mean Joe Green's Steelers or the Montana-Rice 49ers, the Patriots are the greatest football dynasty ever.

Of all the problems involved in being a Jet fan, the Giants of the last four years are not among them.

The Jets could have easily won 12 games this year. It definitely was a frustrating season but I'll take it over 3-13 or 1-15 any day. I'd rather have the frustrations of losing when you're expected to win then just being outright horrible. With a few adjustments they're right back in the hunt next year.

I agree with everything Matt is saying. The Kotite era was a different kind of situation ....the team was bad and very poorly coached as evidenced when Parcells came in and won 9 games after a 1-15 debacle. No one was comparing the Jets to anyone during those years we were a complete laughing stock.

However with the Giants Jets playing in the biggest market in the country when you start spouting off like Rex has done claiming the Jets now own NY after 2 AFCC losses then having the Giants beat us and march to the SB (with a lot of luck or not) its just as embarressing, if not more so, because its under the spot light due to comments made by the Head Coach.

I grew up in NY and My first 10 years being a fan were the 70"s and both teams were horrid for the entire decade The Jets actully became good in the early 80s and once again lost some heartbreaking big games while the Giants won the 86 SB . I have a lot of Giant Fan friends who really rubbed it in because every year was the same arguements of which team was better and at times those arguements got really heated . Thats why as much as I hate the Pats I wanted them to win this game because i dont have Pats fans living next door to me growing up I have Giants fans.

Have you got all your BIG BLUE fan souvenirs yet giant fan?

As to "tenants" nonsense; the Jets own half a stadium. Even when they were tenants when things were going good didn't notice anyone in it cared one bit about the Giants. it was not practical nor feasible to build a stadium on the West Side, and to build 2 new football stadiums 8 miles apart on either side of the Lincoln Tunnel would have been a collasal waste in tough economic times. I really don't like the layout of the stadium. it seems to have been built stupidly. But that's not the same as complaining about sharing it with the Giants. if the Jets take care of business no one cares about the Giants.

Simply the stadium would be a great deal more tolerable if the Jets hosted an AFC title game at home more often than once every 42 years, or at least hosted a bunch of playoff games.

Walking through NYC and seeing a Giants party for the second time in four years, while the Jets decided to treat a divisional game as their Super Bowl last season....I think this is probably the worst I've felt as a fan.

Could this year been any more embarrassing for the Jets?

Wow. How did I miss this thread? As a Jets fan for over three decades... The Ryan era had been one of the highlights. Yes, this season could be far more embarrassing, like a plethora of seasons past where we were among the worst teams in the league

This would have been much, much worse for me had the Patriots won. And having them lose because Welker dropped a very catchable ball makes it all the more sweet.

On the other hand, as a Jet fan it feels too much like the older sibling beating up the bully (again) who repeatedly picks on his kid brother. Still I'll take it.

Kotite was much much much worse. Yikes.

anyone who thinks this years 8-8 after four playoff wins and two trips to the AFC Championship game is "rock bottom" has either not been a Jet fan for a very long time OR has been listening to the likes of Joe Benigno (worst Jet fan on the planet) and the rest of the sports talk radio jackasses for TOO long a time

My liver might disagree, but the one thing that was better during the Kotite era were the tailgates... I was single with no responsibilities, we didn't care what time we got into the stadium to watch the team lose yet another close game, and hung out after for post-game tailgates.

There's something to be said for being immensely disappointed when you actually have hope for your team, but to call this rock-bottom is absurd.

I agree with everything Matt is saying. The Kotite era was a different kind of situation ....the team was bad and very poorly coached as evidenced when Parcells came in and won 9 games after a 1-15 debacle. No one was comparing the Jets to anyone during those years we were a complete laughing stock.

However with the Giants Jets playing in the biggest market in the country when you start spouting off like Rex has done claiming the Jets now own NY after 2 AFCC losses then having the Giants beat us and march to the SB (with a lot of luck or not) its just as embarressing, if not more so, because its under the spot light due to comments made by the Head Coach.

I grew up in NY and My first 10 years being a fan were the 70"s and both teams were horrid for the entire decade The Jets actully became good in the early 80s and once again lost some heartbreaking big games while the Giants won the 86 SB . I have a lot of Giant Fan friends who really rubbed it in because every year was the same arguements of which team was better and at times those arguements got really heated . Thats why as much as I hate the Pats I wanted them to win this game because i dont have Pats fans living next door to me growing up I have Giants fans.

Curious...do you leave your home and have Giants fans waiting to point and laugh at you? Do you get ridiculed in the streets because you are a Jets fan? Are scared to show your face in public because the Jets are such an embarrassment?

I can see it now: Smash wakes up, brew's himself a cup of Joe, walks out for the morning paper and there he is - the awful Giants neighbor, waiting for you, decked out in Giants gear screaming at you - HAHAHAHAAHAHA good morning stupid Jets fan! Your team is the laughing stock because they went 8-8. How can you even show your face in public? You should be ashamed or yourself and the team you have no control over. Go back in your house and dont come out until you win the SB. Loser. Your fat head coach says things that dont neccessarily reflect your opinion but since you a Jets fan, your a dumb a$$ too. Holmes, Holmes? Hahahahahaha. Nice job signing him. All your fault. Sanchez??? Sanchez??? You draft that guy 5th overall, dumbass, all your fault. Now ME, ME, on the other hand. I'm a champion. I've got dignity because I root for a winner. So go back inside loser Jets fan. Your life sucks.

Let's face it Matt the Giants are a lucky team-the Jets are in a division that you have to win 11-12-134 games if you even want one friggin bye week-the Giants can win 9 games and win the division

Yes except 2009 when the Jets went to the AFC championship at 9-7 right?

But in 2011 when the Giants make the playoffs and win the super bowl at 9-7 with the toughest schedule and most injuries in the league it's all luck.

Makes perfect sense to me. :huh:

Curious...do you leave your home and have Giants fans waiting to point and laugh at you? Do you get ridiculed in the streets because you are a Jets fan? Are scared to show your face in public because the Jets are such an embarrassment?

I can see it now: Smash wakes up, brew's himself a cup of Joe, walks out for the morning paper and there he is - the awful Giants neighbor, waiting for you, decked out in Giants gear screaming at you - HAHAHAHAAHAHA good morning stupid Jets fan! Your team is the laughing stock because they went 8-8. How can you even show your face in public? You should be ashamed or yourself and the team you have no control over. Go back in your house and dont come out until you win the SB. Loser. Your fat head coach says things that dont neccessarily reflect your opinion but since you a Jets fan, your a dumb a$$ too. Holmes, Holmes? Hahahahahaha. Nice job signing him. All your fault. Sanchez??? Sanchez??? You draft that guy 6th over, dumbass, all your fault. Now ME, ME, on the other hand. I'm a champion. I've got dignity because I root for a winner. So go back inside loser Jets fan. Your life sucks.

Cant help that I live and die with this stupid team. You get over things easier...I wish I could.

But yeah, being surrounded by Giants fans right now...it sucks. Especially since the team I root for decided not to show up for a title game last year...whereas the Giants pretty much played one of the more classic battles in NFL history against SF.

My liver might disagree, but the one thing that was better during the Kotite era were the tailgates... I was single with no responsibilities, we didn't care what time we got into the stadium to watch the team lose yet another close game, and hung out after for post-game tailgates.

With posts like this, I still can't figure out why I've avoided marriage and a real job.

Cant help that I live and die with this stupid team. You get over things easier...I wish I could.

But yeah, being surrounded by Giants fans right now...it sucks. Especially since the team I root for decided not to show up for a title game last year...whereas the Giants pretty much played one of the more classic battles in NFL history against SF.

Yes, but does the scenario I described happen to you on a daily basis? Because I dont think I'd make it through life if I had to deal with that and I'd totally understand.

Yes except 2009 when the Jets went to the AFC championship at 9-7 right?

But in 2011 when the Giants make the playoffs and win the super bowl at 9-7 with the toughest schedule and most injuries in the league it's all luck.

Makes perfect sense to me. :huh:

The Jets were lucky as hell to make it in the playoffs in 2009. The main difference is once they each got there the Giants won it all, and the Jets didn't. In the end, who really gives a crap, it doesn't make a difference, but you can't say the Giants weren't lucky to even be in it to begin with, because if playing in any other division in the league they're very likely sitting at home when the playoffs start. Bottom line though, every team that wins the Super Bowl needs a little bit of luck along the way, there's nothing wrong with that.

Yes, but does the scenario I described happen to you on a daily basis? Because I dont think I'd make it through life if I had to deal with that and I'd totally understand.

No of course not, but this entire month has been a slow death for Jets fans because we all knew it was coming. Its different being surrounded by it every single day. Texts, the parade, our front office taking out full page ads in the Post congratulating the team thats been pissing all over you. Its brutal.

Once the draft gets here its over and done with...but looking at our roster right now, we just suck at every key position other than CB.

The Steelers loss still hurts when you realize what the Giants just did. They didnt treat the Packers game like they won something....it was business as usual.

In all fairness, Smash would vociferously defend Sanchez. Physically, if necessary.

So true.

No of course not, but this entire month has been a slow death for Jets fans because we all knew it was coming. Its different being surrounded by it every single day. Texts, the parade, our front office taking out full page ads in the Post congratulating the team thats been pissing all over you. Its brutal.

Once the draft gets here its over and done with...but looking at our roster right now, we just suck at every key position other than CB.

The Steelers loss still hurts when you realize what the Giants just did. They didnt treat the Packers game like they won something....it was business as usual.

I dont let things like that bother me. When the Jags blew out the Jets - 41-0, my office was covered with articles, pictures, J-e-t-s sucks sucks sucks. You name it. It was funny. I laughed. And moved on. Who cares? Its a game, that I watch for entertainment. I was born a Jets fan. I didnt pick this sh*tty team and by no means am I ever embarrassed about something that have absolutely no control over.

Wow, you've officially gone off the deep end. You clearly have a MAJOR inferiority complex when it comes to your Jets fandom, and I'm sorry to hear that, but that's your problem, not a team problem. The fact that in your mind you warped the Giants' NFC Championship game into "one of the more classic battles in NFL history" is pretty much evidence enough to prove you have lost all grasp on reality. The truth is, if not for a last second inactive that caused the 49ers to use a backup punt returner who handed the Giants the ball twice in scoring range, accounting for half of the Giants' points, that "classic battle" would have been an a$$-kicking far worse than the one the Jets suffered at the hands of the Steelers. Yeah, the Giants won so they've got nothing to apologize for, and good for them, but the rest of this is just pure gibberish.

Archived