Is this rock bottom as a franchise?

Matt39

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walking through NYC and seeing a Giants party for the second time in four years, while the Jets decided to treat a divisional game as their Super Bowl last season....I think this is probably the worst I've felt as a fan.

Could this year been any more embarrassing for the Jets?

I kind of disagree. Yes, the Jets had their problems last season, but 1) it's nothing that can't be fixed, and 2) they were 8-8, not 7-9, 6-10, and certainly not 1-15, like under Kotite. Although Kotite was so incompetent that I kind of rooted for him in the same way I'd root for a child in the Special Olympics.

Anyway, the Jets still have a top 5 defense and a good running game. I think, if coached properly, Sanchez will be the very-good/great QB that the Jets thought he would be. I seriously think Schottenheimer (and Rex's trust in Schottenheimer) was the major problem there. Every time Sanchez dropped back to pass, the routes were exactly the same. Two receivers would run long, simple post routes, while the RB and TE would split wide for a zero-yeard dump pass. When teams would take away those dump passes, Sanchez looked like he had no idea what to do. No NFL QB could progress in that kind of system. Also, Rex or Sparano can't coddle Sanchez. They have to ream him everytime he holds on to the ball for too long and as a result, fumbles, throws a pic, or gets sacked for a big loss.

The locker room stuff will die down once the team starts winning again. Right now it feels like it's a really bad time because the season is over and we all have nothing but time to talk about all this. Once they hit the field again, things will begin to look up.

I kind of disagree. Yes, the Jets had their problems last season, but 1) it's nothing that can't be fixed, and 2) they were 8-8, not 7-9, 6-10, and certainly not 1-15, like under Kotite. Although Kotite was so incompetent that I kind of rooted for him in the same way I'd root for a child in the Special Olympics.

Anyway, the Jets still have a top 5 defense and a good running game. I think, if coached properly, Sanchez will be the very-good/great QB that the Jets thought he would be. I seriously think Schottenheimer (and Rex's trust in Schottenheimer) was the major problem there. Every time Sanchez dropped back to pass, the routes were exactly the same. Two receivers would run long, simple post routes, while the RB and TE would split wide for a zero-yeard dump pass. When teams would take away those dump passes, Sanchez looked like he had no idea what to do. No NFL QB could progress in that kind of system. Also, Rex or Sparano can't coddle Sanchez. They have to ream him everytime he holds on to the ball for too long and as a result, fumbles, throws a pic, or gets sacked for a big loss.

The locker room stuff will die down once the team starts winning again. Right now it feels like it's a really bad time because the season is over and we all have nothing but time to talk about all this. Once they hit the field again, things will begin to look up.

This post defiantly passes my Sane'Ometer, with a rating of "Rational" Putting things in perspective after a bad season is often not easy it takes some hindsight.

Are we a Kotite team "no", are we a back to back AFC Champ game team "no", is the situation fixable "yes". I think 2012 will be an interesting season, our cap situation leaves for little room to manoeuvre.

The Jets should trade back and stock pile picks since I beleave we are stuck with High price Free agents at the back end of their contacts which makes it tough for us to Cut them.

Ala Pace, and Scott for example. So im not expecting any flashy moves this year, making this this side younger and cheaper is a higher priority, trading back in the first and picking up an extra 2nd or early 3rd would be a smart move.

A mid placed draft position often leads to reaching, and you pick up someone who would be there late in the 1st. Yes I realise the Revis was a mid rounder we traded up for, and how many of those are just laying around?

The combine is now closing in, it's time for lots of Mocks and Mayock, and hoping we can pick up that pass rusher we so need, and an NFL quality Safety plus some depth.

Walking through NYC and seeing a Giants party for the second time in four years, while the Jets decided to treat a divisional game as their Super Bowl last season....I think this is probably the worst I've felt as a fan.

Could this year been any more embarrassing for the Jets?

Yeah, I can agree with that. When team's are bad enough to go 1-15, the fans usually come into the season with low expectations. There's not a whole lot of heart-break in those seasons. You're basically just looking forward to starting over with a new coach/regime.

But when you're coming off back-to-back seasons in which you make the AFC Championship game including a HUGE playoff win against the team that's not only your biggest rival but who's also been the league's premier franchise for 10+ years its inevitable for your expectations to be at an all time time. Then to have the team collapse down the stretch with three losses to end the season and also get swept by that division rival who apparently has managed the near impossible task of rebuilding themselves on the fly.....It's a major disappointment.

If the team had any positives to build on leading up to next year, it would be one thing. But to have things fall apart in the manner in which they did with all the player infighting and negativity plus all the talk from the coach.......It's a tough thing to see. All the boasting from Rex have made the Jets a high profile team which is a bad thing when it all falls apart so miserably. The Jets have become a bad punchline. You'd be hard pressed to name another franchise that's more of a laughingstock right now. That's either rock bottom or very nearly approaching it. Only time will tell whether they slip further or rebound and improve. It's gotta be tough though. With the Patriots coming off back-to-back #1 seed seasons and another AFC Championship they once again appear to be building something special. This will be what.....the fourth straight year where they have multiple 1st and 2nd round picks. Unbelievable! It's like BB is determined to never let this run of his end....And now the Dolphins are showing signs of improving as well... Where does all this leave the Jets? It's definitely not a good time to be a Jets fan. Soon you'll all be referring to the Mangini era as the "good old days".

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived