Jets re-sign WR Turner

F.Chowds

7:05 PM, February 7, 2012 ι

By BRIAN COSTELLO

The Jets signed wide receiver Patrick Turner to a one-year deal worth $650,000, according to a source.

Turner was scheduled to become a restricted free agent. The 24-year-old had eight catches for 96 yards and a touchdown for the Jets last season.

Turner was drafted by the Dolphins in 2009 out of USC. The Jets picked him up off waivers in 2010 and he bounced between the active roster and practice squad for that season.

He began last year on the practice squad but was signed to the active roster after Week 1.

I'm probably the only one here that will say this, but I would be OK with this guy as our starting #2 and maybe just taking 1 draft pick to compete with him. He played well last year, is a Burress-type, but younger and faster with less experience. I would not touch a FA wr, especially if we're going ground/pound. We have more important needs.

http://www.nj.com/je...rce=twitterfeed

There are other players getting raises. Great, just what the Jets need less cap space.

Meh, Greene is getting $615,000. That ain't bad at all considering what he does for us. He's not a feature back but that's still a great value. Many more overplayed payers to worry about. And DeVito has earned his bump too.

I can deal with that.....maybe turner can get the college chemistry back with Sanchez....

I'm probably the only one here that will say this, but I would be OK with this guy as our starting #2 and maybe just taking 1 draft pick to compete with him. He played well last year, is a Burress-type, but younger and faster with less experience. I would not touch a FA wr, especially if we're going ground/pound. We have more important needs.

Post image for Patrick Turner Signs One Year Deal

Several sources are reporting that the New York Jets have signed WR Patrick Turner to a new one year contract.  Turner originally broke into the league with the Miami Dolphins in 2009.  Although he only played two games with them that season, Tony Sparano is familiar with him and that certainly was a factor in the Jets wanting to bring Turner back next season.

There are conflicting reports on the exact salary and bonus, TheJetsBlog.com explains it a little further.  The Jets can only sign their own free agents right now, here is the full

Turner had 8 receptions for 96 yards on the season with one touchdown.  His size (6’5″) makes him an ideal red zone target and he could become an option to replace Plaxico’s 8 TDs if the Jets opt to let Burress walk.

Visit our and discuss this roster move.

di
di

OrULAIRx0bk

View the full article

Hope he replaces Plaxico, I want to clean some house with our thugs. Get rid of Plax and Santonio. Draft a good WR if need be. Rid our good team of the locker room cancers.

I would love to see the Jets grow some balls and dump Santonio but its not going to happen. We are not the Steelers when it comes to personnel

you have to ask yourself whats more detrimental to the team 7+ million aganist the cap and an a$$hole walking away with a lot of money for nothing or Santonios attitude.

This guy is no starter.

Probably not, but neither was Miles Austin for his first 3 seasons (over which span he caught 8 more passes than Turner despite far better personnel delivering the ball). Turner hardly saw the field and his QB hardly ever moves off his first read.

Anyway this is a harmless re-sign even in the worst-case scenario of him getting cut over the summer. Can't see this as a negative.

Probably not, but neither was Miles Austin for his first 3 seasons (over which span he caught 8 more passes than Turner despite far better personnel delivering the ball). Turner hardly saw the field and his QB hardly ever moves off his first read.

Anyway this is a harmless re-sign even in the worst-case scenario of him getting cut over the summer. Can't see this as a negative.

nope, and the thing about Turner is he has never once bellyached about his situation here...there's something to be said for guys like that on your team. In that way he reminds me of Bryan Thomas-another guy who will do whatever is asked of him and then does it without any complaints

Exactly. Also factor in the uncertainty at the position, at worst we secured some depth at the position.

I don’t have a problem with this signing, but I must say I am surprised that he was signed as quickly as he was.

He can’t be Sparano’s favorite player. He was a 3rd round draft pick, who was released the following camp. That’s very rare that a 3rd rounder only sees one season. I saw him play in preseason for the Fish. He was horrible. Maybe it was just bad coaching.

He hasn’t exactly lit it up with the Jets, and he was one of Sanchez’s main people at USC. Maybe that’s why he was a priority.

Got some talent, and size at a position that is badly needed. Guess it’s a no lose situation.

Maybe he and Sanchez will hook up again.

I agree. Bench guy, fine. He is big and might be useful if we can get a QB that can throw a fade. Sanchez could not even hit Plaxico, who is bigger than Turner.

I agree. Bench guy, fine. He is big and might be useful if we can get a QB that can throw a fade. Sanchez could not even hit Plaxico, who is bigger than Turner.

Well... we did have the #1 ranked red-zone offense in the league last year so that goes to show you something was right. He hit Plaxico enough in the red-zone but when he didn't, Plax was still opening things up down there. I know it's blaspehmous, but I really don't see why Turner can't do the same as an ancient Plax coming off a jail sentence.

Thing I'll remember about Turner from last year is Sanchez going to him on 3rd and longs. There were a few of those and Turner always made the play. I figure these would stand out to everyone else, since they were 3rd & long passes that actually went beyond the first down marker, a place Santonio didn't reach very often.

Archived