Jets set to stick with Holmes

F.Chowds

It looks like Santonio Holmes will indeed be a Jet in 2012.

Holmes, whose season ended with a benching in Miami, is guaranteed $7.5 million of his $11 million 2013 salary if he still is on the Jets’ roster this morning.

That means the Jets owe the wide receiver $15.25 million of guaranteed money, a number that means he won’t be going anywhere. The Jets have said publicly since the season ended they would keep Holmes, but it still seemed like something the team had to consider after the way Holmes’ 2011 season went.

Holmes fought with quarterback Mark Sanchez at the end of the year then had no catches in the season finale against the Dolphins. Former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer benched Holmes with two minutes left in the game. After the game, one of his teammates called him a “cancer.

In his second season as a Jet Holmes was far less effective than in 2010. He had just 51 catches for 654 yards and eight touchdowns.

Even after the meltdown in Miami, Jets management defended Holmes

“I think first off, to dismiss some of the good things that Santonio has done for the two years he’s been here, he’s been a tremendous player for us,” coach Rex Ryan said the day after the season ended. “He’s won a ton of games for this franchise. And he’s been a good teammate.... Are there some things that we need to get corrected? Absolutely. And it’s not just with him, but others as well; myself, I’m the first one that looks at we have to change some things and we will change.

“Those are things we will look at in the off”‘season, and we will find a way to get this done, but I believe Santonio will be back next year.”

Ryan said last week Holmes and Sanchez are planning to get together to hash out their issues from last year.

Holmes’ contract is just one of several that hold a large amount of guaranteed money and could restrict how active the Jets can be in free agency.

“I think the Jets are tied together by a lot of guaranteed contracts,” NFL Network analyst and former league executive Michael Lombardi said last week. “I don’t know how you could ever go about fixing it. If Santonio [Holmes] is on the team in [February], he’s guaranteed the next year. I think whenever you have a locker room controlled by guaranteed money it’s tough to fix.”

* The Jets signed wide receiver Patrick Turner to a one-year deal, according to a source. Turner was scheduled to become a restricted free agent.

Roster Update: Holmes Guarantee Crystallizes Today

by Bent on February 8th, 2012 at 5:07 am

Over the last few weeks, talks of releasing Santonio Holmes have cooled, with plans to break bread with Mark Sanchez and undergo talks with the top brass already underway and public support for Holmes coming from the likes of Rex Ryan, Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum. You may recall that when a release still seemed a viable option, there was talk of a key upcoming date by which time they needed to have made a decision. Today is that date and the Jets’ silence on the matter seems to confirm no move is set to be made.

To reiterate the position, Holmes’ 2012 salary of $7.75m is already guaranteed. If he’s still on the roster this morning, $7.5m of his $11m salary for 2013 becomes guaranteed. He also has $5m of potential dead money relating to bonuses paid last year. The guaranteed salary would also constitute dead money in the event of a release, but the Jets would receive cap credits based on his new contract.

Over at the

NY Post, they are talking as if this ensures Holmes will remain a Jet. While that does seem the most likely outcome, it’s important to note that today’s deadline has no impact whatsoever on the cap consequences of trading him, so that’s not totally off the table.

If Santonio can just play ball and try and be a team mate we will be ok....if not cut his a$$ immediately....

He has not done it up to this point what makes him change now with 45 mill in his god damn pocket ?? This was not just a last game issue this guy was most likely bitching all year long because no way in hell a teammate would come out an call him a cancer for one freaking incident.

He has not done it up to this point what makes him change now with 45 mill in his god damn pocket ?? This was not just a last game issue this guy was most likely bitching all year long because no way in hell a teammate would come out an call him a cancer for one freaking incident.

If Jay z can forgive why can't you?

jayzace.jpg

I get it...it is Rex's job and Sparano's job to make sure there is harmony on this team and everyone is on the same page, if not then it is Tanny's job to get rid of him.

I would have much preferred reading this morning that he was cut, traded, or they had him whacked, but I guess he is going to be a Jet this year, or at least be wearing Green and White, so I guess I’ll have to deal with it.

Welcome back, (until you walk off the field again)

santonio's behavior and Schotty-mania was the perfect cover for how bad Mark Sanchez played this year.

at the end of the year, everyone was talking about #10. and fair enough he packed it in on his team and that's not good. and how Schotty needed to be fired. that was true too. Schotty wasn't good.

but the reason he packed it in was because he was running wide open all year and Mark wasn't even looking. the reason Schotty was fired was because Mark was a 1 read player who, by the end of the year, was throwing interceptions to defensive tackles, while attempting to check down to the RB.

this might come off like I hate Sanchez. that's not the truth. there's nothing wrong with this team Mark Sanchez can't fix. Other than Revis, he's the most important Jets player. They are paying him superstar money and superstars don't get to make excuses. not in this town.

santonio's behavior and Schotty-mania was the perfect cover for how bad Mark Sanchez played this year.

at the end of the year, everyone was talking about #10. and fair enough he packed it in on his team and that's not good. and how Schotty needed to be fired. that was true too. Schotty wasn't good.

but the reason he packed it in was because he was running wide open all year and Mark wasn't even looking. the reason Schotty was fired was because Mark was a 1 read player who, by the end of the year, was throwing interceptions to defensive tackles, while attempting to check down to the RB.

this might come off like I hate Sanchez. that's not the truth. there's nothing wrong with this team Mark Sanchez can't fix. Other than Revis, he's the most important Jets player. They are paying him superstar money and superstars don't get to make excuses. not in this town.

I didn't see that. and didn't really hear anyone talk about that all year. Honestly I hardly ever saw him get seperation ALL YEAR LONG. He looked slow as hell and like he wasn't even trying. It might be true, but I want to see it.

A big mistake last year when the JETS competed against themselves and paid Holmes more money than they should have. And now this leads to a bigger mistake this year.

Just wait for the first loss for the locker room to become a divided place!

There's still hope. He'll most likely get busted for pot while celebrating his bonus

There's still hope. He'll most likely get busted for pot while celebrating his bonus

I would imagine, Tanny covered his risk in terms of Holmes reverting back to his old ways. There has to be something in his contract that penalizes him if he was to get another marijuana/drug related offense, considering he has a history. It would just be bad management on the GMs part not to protect yourself in someway with such a player.

I meant at the time that jaggoff was doing that.

Oh yea, duh.. 28-9 (pending 10). It was pretty stupid to do it considering the score. Even if the Jets were winning I think it would be stupid, because you need to be humble after 2 fumbles (or maybe one of them was a ball he tipped up into the air for a pick, I can't remember, either way, both were his fault.)

Archived