Wayne Hunter NOT released. Salary guaranteed.

BroadwayJ667

I need to join at least 3 additional fantasy leagues next year.... that oughtta 7-8 fantasy leauges, and I won't have to face the fact that the Jets have done ZERO to improve this team since the end of 2008... wwwwaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh h hahahahhahahahaaa...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is Trader Mike will return and be a player in the first round, for a safety and a right tackle. With his extra draft picks this year from compensatory picks he might feel confident to play with the Jets picks

I hope you're right. Why would be invest so much into Hunter then? What about Turner as our back up, and Ducasse??? Something is off.

I tend to think so - well, it depends on what you mean by top tier. Who is free this season?

Point being, I'm betting they will try to plug RT with a veteran presence rather than a rookie or Hunter because it's one position where they desperately need consistency at.

You know, we would actually have good O-Line depth if we end up with Hunter, Rob Turner and Ducasse on the bench.

Wasn't there some chatter about NYG, McKenzie? He would be an upgrade... an old one, but still an upgrade.

I would think that RT is our biggest need at this point (all Sanchez talk aside).

It's a bit on the absurd side. Not a lot of money at all, but I mean come on. This season ended with such an epic meltfown, at this point they're saying that you can act like as big of a tool as you'd like to be, under-perform when ever you please, and there won't be any repercussions.

Read DenDen29's post above.

It's a bit on the absurd side. Not a lot of money at all, but I mean come on. This season ended with such an epic meltfown, at this point they're saying that you can act like as big of a tool as you'd like to be, under-perform when ever you please, and there won't be any repercussions.

Rex has been reading the Thunderdome Guide to Locker Room Management.

i dont think they will sign another vet to face off with Hunter. They might draft a guy and hope to phase him in over 1-2 years. Hunter being the "starter" that a draft pick would have to beat out.

also should be noted they gave Holmes 7 mil for being a diva and Sanchez 3 mil for getting his butt kicked. I guess that's what they are doing this week.

I still refuse to believe that we will actually be paying Wayne Hunter that salary next season. I think that a hand-shake deal is in place to keep him on the team at a lower rate, but the final details have yet to be worked out. Why would Hunter want to leave anyway? Rex has always had his back, and he can be a valuable piece as OL depth...I can't imagine that there are going to be teams banging down his door after the season he just had, so taking a paycut and staying in a more stable environment might be a good option for him.

i dont think they will sign another vet to face off with Hunter. They might draft a guy and hope to phase him in over 1-2 years. Hunter being the "starter" that a draft pick would have to beat out.

also should be noted they gave Holmes 7 mil for being a diva and Sanchez 3 mil for getting his butt kicked. I guess that's what they are doing this week.

Don't know what you're talking about, no way they *intend* for hm to be starting

Coach em up Rex

"Coaching up" is code for "Next year we go 4-12".

The Lions had 3 different coaches claiming they could coach-up their team. Then Mayhew came in and actually drafted players that could play. Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford don't need to be coached up. ..but they do need blockers.

Don't know what you're talking about, no way they *intend* for hm to be starting

put it another way they drafted Vlad and had him compete with Starting LG Slauson. They like to have vets in front of draft picks to make them win the job. Even Sanchez had to beat Clemens.

There is some feeling of frustration over the guaranteed money being given to Hunter but look at the O-line depth for a minute. The draft is coming and the Jets will likely take O-linemen or two but these guys, no matter how high their picked, will not have any NFL experience. The Jets could land themselves some perennial Pro Bowlers in the draft or Vladimir Ducasse.

Right now the Jets have Robert Turner, a free agent coming of a lost season to injury, the already mentioned Vladimir Ducasse, who thinks he’s ready now or ever, Austin Howard, who, and Caleb Sch, the rest is too long to write. Not exactly murderers row.

What about free agents like Jared Gaither or Demetrius Bell, with more cap room the Jets could get one of these guys and let Hunter walk. Maybe or maybe not these guys will be looking for big dollars and lots of guaranteed money; don’t know if the jets could get them.

If the Jets released Hunter and tried to re-sign for less what if Hunter, who would do this I don’t know, signed somewhere else. The line depth would be even worse. Now you’d have no RT on your team with any starting experience. So it’s not the worst thing to keep Hunter hopefully someone steps up grabs this job from him and starts for years to come, but who that is right now unknown. The Jets can dump Hunter next year keep him as a back-up this year if he, and we prey, loses his starting job.

I vote for 350 lb guards. I forgot what team it was but I saw 1 center and 4 effing tackles standing next to him. It was 4 doods with jersey numbers in teh 70s. it was a beautiful sight!!!! If we need someone to pull, mangold can lead the sweep but these 4 monsters will grade the prime part of the field for any RB we have back there.

Kill me now

No! Me first!!

Seriously, they were afraid of losing this guy? Could not they have cut him and resigned him at a much lower salary? I don't even want him as a backup after last year's performance, actually. The fact that we did not have a backup who could play better than this chump is mind boggling. So having him as a backup is also mind boggling.

Archived