Sanchez, has no talent apparently. Am I missing something?

BroadwayJ667

A dissapointing season, and a collapse seems to cloud everyone's minds in this "what have you done lately league." Mark Sanchez has gone from being one of the more promising young quarterbacks to a pariah in a matter of a year. In the NFL the saying goes that "the quarterback gets too much credit when the team wins and too much blame when the team loses."

Lets look at some quick stats. The Jets are 27-20 in the regular season with Mark at QB, and 4-2 in the playoffs with him. He has somewhere near 10 comeback wins in the last two seasons, and his numbers have gotten better, albeit slowly, each season. Are the numbers what you want to see out of a franchise quarterback, no, but do we want a winner, or a guy who throws for 300 yards and loses.

In the 2009 draft many "experts" had Mark as the more talented quarterback over Matt Stafford, including NFL Networks Mike Mayock. Mayock, according to many in the NFL might be the most qualified talent evaluator in the media's draft process.

http://www.nfl.com/d...t-each-position

time 2:08

In the NFL winning is only achieved as a team, that includes the coaches. Brian Schottenhiemer has been taking the blame for the offense for at least four years and seemingly no one was sad to see him go. His play calls were puzzling at time and he was increasingly resistant to mesh with Rex Ryan and the style of offense that would compliment the defense.

Most would agree that Sanchez's strengths lie in working off the play action, throwing deep passes and rolling out of the pocket. Yet the offense in 2011 seemed to work towards aspects that Mark Sanchez has not developed or will never be good at. The best coaches in the NFL are ones that put their players in places to succeed.

The offesive line was the biggest disappointment for the 2011 Jets. The line seeimingly could no longer generate a push to the second levels of the defense and the pass protection consistently suffered. It took a huge step back, as the Yards-Per-Carry in 2010 was 4.4 and regressed to 3.8 in 2011. Additionally Sanchez was sacked the 5th most times in 2011.

Now in no way is Sanchez without blame. He continued to miss wide open reads and his accuracy did not progress. Additionally when something would go wrong in the game Mark seemed to go into a shell and as a whole the offense would suffer.

In 2011 we were exposed to an anomaly of a quarterback named Tim Tebow. Many marveled at his ability to lead back the Bronco's when all seemed lost in the 4th quarter. Statistically Tebow is abysmal, yet when the game is on the line he makes the plays. While neither Sanchez or Tebow had a penchant for putting up attractive numbers, when the game was on the line, each had the ability to lead their team back.

In 2011 the New York Jets were exposed to have a poisonous locker room. In the NFL teams almost never win with locker room turmoil. It saps away the desire to win and players become "me first" and no longer make the sacrifices that go hand-in-hand with winning games. This is a fixable situation. One that requires removing certain players from the locker room, such as Plaxico Burress, and returing to an offseason that includes Rex Ryans team building at SUNY Cortland.

This all being said, changes have been made that should correct the issues. The hiring of Tony Sparano will bering in an offense that will compliment the Jets suffocating defense. A ball control style offense that will include a healthy dose of play action. In all 2012 will be the tell tale sign of Mark Sanchez's abilities.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point is that everyone is piling on Sanchez and that I believe it is because everyone has been waiting to pile on after Rex's bravado and a disappointing season. I've seen enough to know Mark can win a Super Bowl, but he must be put in a position to succeed and Schotty did nothing to do that

I don't want a safety, I want a guy who's a winner.

Over the last 3 years, Eric Smith is 4-2 in the playoffs with a 27-20 record (or close to it).

We better not try to upgrade him.

Not with those back to back AFC Championship disappearances. Why screw with success?

Yes, I see talent, the guy can make the throws, what I don't see is good decison making and I saw a lot of poor coaching.

Good thing we've got an OC renowned for his ability to magically fix the decision-making of retarded quarterbacks.

Yes. Thank you EY, everyone knows your position, care to back it up with more than one or two troll sentences

Not for nothing, but posting a 500+ word defense of Mark Sanchez and then asking "am I missing something?" is uber-trolling.

Yes. Thank you EY, everyone knows your position, care to back it up with more than one or two troll sentences

Why bother?

Sanchez apologists ignore the fact that the offense has never been good under him (they blame schotty often exclusively) and that the defense carried us to those playoff wins as evidenced by the fact that we held teams under their average scoring while still scoring under the averages the opposing defenses let up and still won.

They ignore that Sanchez has always been at the bottom of the league in not only the advanced metrics, but also in QB rating, yards per attempt, and completion percentage.

Further, Sanchez apologists ignore that even his completed passes are off target, that he holds the ball too long, that he often locks on to his WRs, that he has horrific field vision as evidenced by his terrible decision making and INTs. Instead, blaming the offensive line, a myth that Pro Football Focus pretty much blew up. They blame WRs not getting open, which is something that without game film cannot be determined and contradicts many who have gone to games and reported that Sanchez is simply not seeing open guys.

In sum, there's nothing positive to say about him as a player except his record, which in any objective analysis, really has more to do with the defense than him. So, in reality, before this post I said just as much as you in my "trolling", as you provided absolutely nothing of substance... Nothing personal of course, because there's nothing of substance that defends Sanchez.

Stop trying to defend yourself against EY

It's obvious, he just doesn't get it

I "get it". Your belief is based on hope, and nothing else. You've admitted as much.

That's fine. But, once objective conversation starts, you might as well politely excuse yourself.

2) Funny how there is no video of his "highlights" from the rest of that game. He was HORRIFIC for most of it, if you remember.

If I can find them I will post em.

Clearly he has no talent. Am I defending him yes, do I think he is a hall-of-famer, hell no, but I also think many of you are wrong in asserting that he is the worst quarterback in the league

Am I defending him yes, do I think he is a hall-of-famer, hell no, but I also think many of you are wrong in asserting that he is the worst quarterback in the league

So where does he rank then? 30th? 25th? Is that good enough for a top-5 pick? Is that good enough for you?

Why not? A dozen half-decent throws are apparently enough to justify keeping Sanchez.

Lol. Notice he didn't post any of the countless highlights that directly lead to a Jets loss. They don't count. Can we get some highlights of some of those pick 6s or those fumble recoveries returned for TDs, or maybe throw in a dozen sacks of 9+ yards.

I "get it". Your belief is based on hope, and nothing else. You've admitted as much.

That's fine. But, once objective conversation starts, you might as well politely excuse yourself.

Proof is in the pudding dude

Jets have made 2 AFC Championships with the guy leading the way.

He alone almost brought us back in the Pittsburgh game last year.

Bad year, yes...bail on hte guy no

Now you, well you're a big talker that has an opinion...nothing more

Lol. Notice he didn't post any of the countless highlights that directly lead to a Jets loss. They don't count. Can we get some highlights of some of those pick 6s or those fumble recoveries returned for TDs, or maybe throw in a dozen sacks of 9+ yards.

Please tell me your screenname is a Johnny Mnemonic reference.

Archived