Why The Jets Should Keep Eric Smith

Maxman

I was a pro-smith guy until last year when I went to Philly for the Eagles game and watched Brent Celek pull away from him for a long run after the catch. And Celek is offensive lineman slow. Unless we need a guy to chase down centers who break into the open on fumble-rooski plays, the Jets need to find a safety who can run the 40 in less than 6 seconds or whatever Smith does it these days

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know how I look at it? We were about top 5-10 in yards allowed to tight ends. Why? Cause Eric Smith sucks? Yeah, absolutely. But also consider the position he was put in: 1) our pass rush is poor, so we have to send extra rushers, 2) he's left all alone on a TE, 3) your WR's are covered by Revis and Cromartie, the best corner in the league and maybe a top 20 corner.

We would need one of the best safeties in the league to deal with that situation...

Agree on the pass rush, or lack thereof, making things tougher. But, while Smith is a hitter, he is too much of a liability in coverage with so many talented TE's being key targets -- especially in critical situations. The way the TE position has evolved, countering with safeties who have better than average coverage ability is a must.Too bad we are not in the CFL, he would be an ideal 12th guy on defense.

Agree on the pass rush, or lack thereof, making things tougher. But, while Smith is a hitter, he is too much of a liability in coverage with so many talented TE's being key targets -- especially in critical situations. The way the TE position has evolved, countering with safeties who have better than average coverage ability is a must.Too bad we are not in the CFL, he would be an ideal 12th guy on defense.

Yeah and I never meant to imply that he was any good. As I said, he sucks. I just think it's a bigger problem than anyone realizes due to scheme and the talent we have at corner.

Our safeties ARE going to be targeted in man coverage and they are going to give up big time yards to TE next season, even if we take the best safety in the draft. People would much rather go at a TE vs. safety than WR1 vs. Revis. Even WR2 vs. Cromartie is much more in our favor than most fans realize.

In essence, maybe that's even more fuel to the fire for us drafting a premier safety.

I was a pro-smith guy until last year when I went to Philly for the Eagles game and watched Brent Celek pull away from him for a long run after the catch. And Celek is offensive lineman slow.

Agree in general he's a special teamer playing over his head as a starting safety.

but let me reiterate: Eric Smith had a torn meniscus.

I don't believe he's really as slow as he showed this season. it's hard to prove a negative but he's actually an athlete most of the time and his coverage problems are related assignment or diagnosing the play. the Jets should be blamed for denuding the safety roster getting rid of Lowery and Rhodes and replacing it with pool and no-one.

KY Jet asked earlier about Gerald Alexander and Tracy Wilson. I don't think they are solutions to this problem.

Agree in general he's a special teamer playing over his head as a starting safety.

but let me reiterate: Eric Smith had a torn meniscus.

I don't believe he's really as slow as he showed this season. it's hard to prove a negative but he's actually an athlete most of the time and his coverage problems are related assignment or diagnosing the play. the Jets should be blamed for denuding the safety roster getting rid of Lowery and Rhodes and replacing it with pool and no-one.

KY Jet asked earlier about Gerald Alexander and Tracy Wilson. I don't think they are solutions to this problem.

I have two torn meniscuses. I can't play safety, either. Smith sucks, has been miscast as a starter (even if it is via default) and he needs to be the fourth safety on the depth chart. The game has swung back away from the run-stuffing safety and now you need that two-way guy that can cover. I'm not sure why it's even necessary to discuss the merits of Smith, really. He's just not good.

So now we've moved onto it's not Smith's fault that he's absolutely horrendously awful at everything he does because other teams have issues covering TEs? Oh, and how it's not fault that he sucks because the Revis / Cromartie tandem is too good? What was his excuse for sucking a$$ when he was playing with all stars like Justin Miller, Andre Dyson, and David Barrett as the Jets starting CBs? Oh wait, I'm sorry, when the CBs sucked, Smith's sucking was their fault, when the CBs are good, it's not Smith's fault because they're too good. The guy is just awful. There is no way around it. No excuses will ever change that. He should not be on a football field on any unit but special teams for any team, for any reason. He's either the worst covering DB or the worst tackling LB in the NFL... feel free to pick one, or go with both. Does nobody see an issue with the fact that there isn't anything he can honestly be considered to be even slightly good at as a defensive player? Instead it's just a list of excuses as to why his incompetence is ok, or somebody else's fault. And hate to break it to you, but Smith's injury last year that hasn't made him suck for 6 years and counting.

I'd keep him as a special teamer and rotational guy who adds some depth to the position. Especially when he gets utilized in the hybrid safety/extra LB position they sometimes deploy him in. As a fourth safety I happily keep him. However, if we expect him to see substantial playing time in a true safety position I'd take a major pass.

So now we've moved onto it's not Smith's fault that he's absolutely horrendously awful at everything he does because other teams have issues covering TEs? Oh, and how it's not fault that he sucks because the Revis / Cromartie tandem is too good? What was his excuse for sucking a$$ when he was playing with all stars like Justin Miller, Andre Dyson, and David Barrett as the Jets starting CBs? Oh wait, I'm sorry, when the CBs sucked, Smith's sucking was their fault, when the CBs are good, it's not Smith's fault because they're too good. The guy is just awful. There is no way around it. No excuses will ever change that. He should not be on a football field on any unit but special teams for any team, for any reason. He's either the worst covering DB or the worst tackling LB in the NFL... feel free to pick one, or go with both. Does nobody see an issue with the fact that there isn't anything he can honestly be considered to be even slightly good at as a defensive player? Instead it's just a list of excuses as to why his incompetence is ok, or somebody else's fault. And hate to break it to you, but Smith's injury last year that hasn't made him suck for 6 years and counting.

I was with you until you said he's a bad tackler. Simply not true. Bad tacklers don't lead their team in tackles, whether they get targeted more or not. He's a nice 3rd or 4th safety, special teams player.. hits VERY hard, pretty good tackler and that's where his skills end.

I just have to remind myself that this is the same fanbase that thinks Antonio Cromartie is a bad #2 corner. LMFAO.

I was with you until you said he's a bad tackler. Simply not true. Bad tacklers don't lead their team in tackles, whether they get targeted more or not. He's a nice 3rd or 4th safety, special teams player.. hits VERY hard, pretty good tackler and that's where his skills end.

I just have to remind myself that this is the same fanbase that thinks Antonio Cromartie is a bad #2 corner. LMFAO.

Quantity is not now, nor will it ever be, the same as quality. His tackle technique is utter dogsh*t and because of it, he misses far more tackles than any other player on the team, by a wide margin. People can praise him all they want for him being a hard tackler, but the truth is it is only because he blindly flings his body at opposing players time and time again, which causes him to constantly end up face first on the turf having touched no one, and yet when he does manage to collide with them, more often than not it accomplishes nothing more than a proper form tackle, other than maybe making a cool sound or even more likely, drawing a 15 yard penalty.

Quantity is not now, nor will it ever be, the same as quality. His tackle technique is utter dogsh*t and because of it, he misses far more tackles than any other player on the team, by a wide margin. People can praise him all they want for him being a hard tackler, but the truth is it is only because he blindly flings his body at opposing players time and time again, which causes him to constantly end up face first on the turf having touched no one, and yet when he does manage to collide with them, more often than not it accomplishes nothing more than a proper form tackle, other than maybe making a cool sound or even more likely, drawing a 15 yard penalty.

Considering that he got matched up in man coverage with some of these freak TE's this year, it's a wonder he did as well as he did.

The Jets were #5 overall in passing yards allowed. They were also #5 in yards PER pass.

Smith is not starting quality, of this there can be no denying. But the rhetoric that we somehow have two of the worst starting safeties in the game AND no pass rush at the same time is tough to take seriously unless Revis and Cro were shutting down 4 receivers by themselves... lol

Smith is not starting quality, of this there can be no denying. But the rhetoric that we somehow have two of the worst starting safeties in the game AND no pass rush at the same time is tough to take seriously unless Revis and Cro were shutting down 4 receivers by themselves... lol

all these threads about the defense in general are misguided. the D is more than good enough to win football games. it's the O that's atrocious. gotta score points to win football games in this league. We can't expect the D to shut everyone out cause the O can't produce.

Archived