Sign in to follow this  
Blackout

no thread on Timmy Wakefield retiring?

seems like the Sawx fans must still be in hiding after last year

Or we are avoiding another dumb thread by you.

• Thumb Down 1

Some people have jobs and work and their first inclination on a Friday isn't to post about Tim Wakefield on a NY Jets message board. Besides, most Yankees fans on this board post Red Sox news quicker than most Sox fans could anyway. You could have posted a thread but you went classy and said Red Sox fans must be in hiding. How you're still allowed to post here is beyond me.

• Thumb Down 1

Or we are avoiding another dumb thread by you.

PKFISH, i forgot to congratulate you on your 10 year anniversary as a Patriot fan

Some people have jobs and work and their first inclination on a Friday isn't to post about Tim Wakefield on a NY Jets message board. Besides, most Yankees fans on this board post Red Sox news quicker than most Sox fans could anyway. You could have posted a thread but you went classy and said Red Sox fans must be in hiding. How you're still allowed to post here is beyond me.

This would be a very fair and true post if the Sox fans weren't here a split second after every time something bad happens to the Yankees.

As for Wakefield, good for him. I hope the Sox give him a commemorative day at the ballpark and that he enjoys his retirement. He did a lot for that team.

PKFISH, i forgot to congratulate you on your 10 year anniversary as a Patriot fan

Gotta step in, here. I knew PFSIKH back in '99 when the Pats sucked. He was on the original JI, representing. I hate his team, but his fanhood is legit.

Again your lack of originality is about par for your course.

Gotta step in, here. I knew PFSIKH back in '99 when the Pats sucked. He was on the original JI, representing. I hate his team, but his fanhood is legit.

Thanks Bob. Didn't we go way back to Jet Hater's as well?

Thanks Bob. Didn't we go way back to Jet Hater's as well?

Yep. JI and Jets Haters were two sides of the same coin.

I see I've struck a nerve with PKFISH

good times

Hardly....I know who I am as a fan.

The sad thing is you getting excited. You have a sad life.

• Thumb Down 1

Who cares, the Red Sox are an after thought. Especially with Valentine at the helm. He already has players complaining about his training tactics.

Who cares, the Red Sox are an after thought. Especially with Valentine at the helm. He already has players complaining about his training tactics.

Really? I'd love to see a direct quote.

And go ahead and think the Red Sox are an after thought. They will always be a threat. They have questions this year just like every other team. Just have to wait and see what develops over thr course of the 162 game season.

Really? I'd love to see a direct quote.

And go ahead and think the Red Sox are an after thought. They will always be a threat. They have questions this year just like every other team. Just have to wait and see what develops over thr course of the 162 game season.

I waited last season to see the best team ever assembled take it all, and where did that get you? Valentine doesnt worry me, career .510 win %. Major after thought.

I waited last season to see the best team ever assembled take it all, and where did that get you? Valentine doesnt worry me, career .510 win %. Major after thought.

Great analysis. Do you know what Tito Francona's winning % was before coming to Boston? Probably a major after thought in your reasoning. Go ahead and look it up. I'll wait.

Another thread wasted on a non-contender.

Players retiring from perennial third place teams are totally insignificant. Do we need a thread for every Blue Jays and Orioles transaction too?

Another thread wasted on a non-contender.

Players retiring from perennial third place teams are totally insignificant. Do we need a thread for every Blue Jays and Orioles transaction too?

If you have that big of a problem with baseball fans talking about the Red Sox, then don't read the threads. If there were Blue Jays and Orioles fans on this board, we'd talk about their teams too. Hell, we talk about the Mets and they haven't been relevant in a while.

I doubt you honestly think the Red Sox are non-contenders. They will be in contention again.

If you have that big of a problem with baseball fans talking about the Red Sox, then don't read the threads. If there were Blue Jays and Orioles fans on this board, we'd talk about their teams too. Hell, we talk about the Mets and they haven't been relevant in a while.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I just think that the Red Sox topics belong in some kind of single general baseball thread dedicated to the teams that don't mean much. I don't see why they need a separate thread any more than we need one to discuss the battle for the fifth starter position for the Royals.

I doubt you honestly think the Red Sox are non-contenders. They will be in contention again.

Again? They haven't been in contention in years. You can't contend for a title if you aren't in the playoffs.

Have a beer and some chicken and relax. Like your pitching staff does.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I just think that the Red Sox topics belong in some kind of single general baseball thread dedicated to the teams that don't mean much. I don't see why they need a separate thread any more than we need one to discuss the battle for the fifth starter position for the Royals.

Again? They haven't been in contention in years. You can't contend for a title if you aren't in the playoffs.

Have a beer and some chicken and relax. Like your pitching staff does.

You're right. Finishing one game out of the playoffs last season isn't "in contention". Guess we'll have to wait and see what this season holds.

I just don't see what your complaining about people talking about the Red Sox adds to the conversation. If you have nothing to say, and it is painfully obvious you don't, then don't post. Simple as that.

Great analysis. Do you know what Tito Francona's winning % was before coming to Boston? Probably a major after thought in your reasoning. Go ahead and look it up. I'll wait.

.440 win %, very sub par and he did an amazing job with the Sox, I think the adjustment from a players coach to what Valentine brings to the table is going to be a hard transition. Did you enjoy your wait?

Is it a Boston thing to arbitrarily assign nicknames to athletes? It strikes me as a weird and uniquely provincial way to publicly display a connection with them. Simmons does this all the time, and it never ceases to be annoying. I don't know what it would take, but the Celtics have to at least try to make a play for Russ Westbrook. I know he's got the numbers, but until Norv is gone I'm just not a believer in Phil Rivers. No doubt about it, he x-factor in the East Finals is Lu Deng.

.440 win %, very sub par and he did an amazing job with the Sox, I think the adjustment from a players coach to what Valentine brings to the table is going to be a hard transition. Did you enjoy your wait?

Well I figured since I'm still waiting on direct quotes from players complaining, that it would take a while to get that from you.

It may be a hard transition, sure, but there is still a ton of talent on the team and lots of players hungry (insert joke here) to rebound and have something to prove. Have to wait and see. It is a long season.

Saying the Red Sox are not contenders is silly. Besides, they're worthy of discussion on a New York sports board because ofthe rivalry with the Yankees.

That said, I think they're in for a tough year and will miss the playoffs again.

Saying the Red Sox are not contenders is silly. Besides, they're worthy of discussion on a New York sports board because ofthe rivalry with the Yankees.

That said, I think they're in for a tough year and will miss the playoffs again.

With how good the Rays could be and how good the Yankees always are, it'll be a dogfight, but I think they might be on the outside looking in again this season. Not sure about the starting pitching #4 and #5 and a few holes in the line-up. I mostly blame John Lackey. haha.

It isn't silly at all. It's actually quite simple: if you don't make the playoffs, you're not in contention for winning the World Series. And they haven't and you agree they won't again. So how are they contenders, exactly? If they're consistently not in the tournament? They have been and are your average, run of the mill third place team.

Don't buy into the NESN/ESPN fictional hype of the last decade that there is a rivalry between the Yankees and the Red Sox. That is like saying grass has a rivalry with the lawn mower.

The "rivalry" is purely a figment of Boston's collective imagination, bred out of the sad inferiority complex that foolishly causes that fan base to try to compare itself to NY in every aspect. The Red Sox primary rivals right now are the Toronto Blue Jays (in the battle for 3rd) and the Boston Bruins (in the battle for time on WEEI).

It isn't silly at all. It's actually quite simple: if you don't make the playoffs, you're not in contention for winning the World Series. And they haven't and you agree they won't again. So how are they contenders, exactly? If they're consistently not in the tournament? They have been and are your average, run of the mill third place team.

Don't buy into the NESN/ESPN fictional hype of the last decade that there is a rivalry between the Yankees and the Red Sox. That is like saying grass has a rivalry with the lawn mower.

The "rivalry" is purely a figment of Boston's collective imagination, bred out of the sad inferiority complex that foolishly causes that fan base to try to compare itself to NY in every aspect. The Red Sox primary rivals right now are the Toronto Blue Jays (in the battle for 3rd) and the Boston Bruins (in the battle for time on WEEI).

Quick question. In recent history, over the past 10 years, who has more World Series titles? You're just being foolish now to think the Red Sox are a run of the mill third place team.

Quick question. In recent history, over the past 10 years, who has more World Series titles? You're just being foolish now to think the Red Sox are a run of the mill third place team.

Why do you let him get to you?

He's a Yankees version of JBF, he's just not that good at it.

Why is it that any time of Boston/New England fan brings up the past, they always state within the past 10 years? Why no 20? 30? 40? IMO they do that because everything Boston sucked outside of the past 10 years. If your going to bring up the past, do it all time, not just the past 10 years.

Quick question, in even more recent history (3 seasons), who has more World Series titles? Who has more third place finishes?

I love the "10 years" thing Boston people bring up. Why not 5 years? Why not 20? Why not 100?

You're right though. They aren't really an average run of the mill third place team. They're a third place team that spends more than most first place teams. But third place is where they live, year after year.

But this reality may never set in with you. Respect is earned, not given. It doesn't matter how much you want to compare the Sox to the Yankees. Until they prove they can contend for anything other than the middle of the division, that's what they are.

Don't hold your breath.

Edited by JetPotato

Why do you let him get to you?

He's a Yankees version of JBF, he's just not that good at it.

I've done nothing but bring factual statements to this discussion.

3rd place is where Boston has finished the last couple of seasons. You can't contend for a title without making the playoffs. These are indisputable facts.

Quick question, in even more recent history (2 seasons), who has more World Series titles? Who has more third place finishes? Hint: one team has won 50% of those, and the other has successfully finished 3rd 100% of the time.

The Yankees did not win a title in 2010 or 2011. So much for your factual statements.

The Yankees did not win a title in 2010 or 2011. So much for your factual statements.

Nice re-edit. The post is accurate.

Seriously? Welcome to ignoresville.

Yeah. It seems you choose to ignore a lot of things, including the standings.

Edited by JetPotato

Why is it that any time of Boston/New England fan brings up the past, they always state within the past 10 years? Why no 20? 30? 40? IMO they do that because everything Boston sucked outside of the past 10 years. If your going to bring up the past, do it all time, not just the past 10 years.

The past 10 years are more relevant. 20 years ago the Yankees were 76-86. What does that have to do with anything?

The only team that the 'last 10 years' things applies to is the Patriots. The Sox, Celtics and Bruins have long rich histories.

Quick question, in even more recent history (3 seasons), who has more World Series titles? Who has more third place finishes?

I love the "10 years" thing Boston people bring up. Why not 5 years? Why not 20? Why not 100?

You're right though. They aren't really an average run of the mill third place team. They're a third place team that spends more than most first place teams. But third place is where they live, year after year.

But this reality may never set in with you. Respect is earned, not given. It doesn't matter how much you want to compare the Sox to the Yankees. Until they prove they can contend for anything other than the middle of the division, that's what they are.

Don't hold your breath.

The Sox have 5 starters from their last title team from 5 years ago.

How many Yankees are still on the 76-86 1992 team?

Over the past 15 years, they have fiished second 10 times. Usually to the only team that can and willspend more then them.

Lets not pretend the Yankees success is based on superb GM acumen. The Yanklees win because they throw more money around then everyone one else.

The Sox have averaged 90+ wins the past three seasons not because they were a well built team. They won because they spent around 500 million on salary. They built flawed teams that still won a lot of games.

Is it a Boston thing to arbitrarily assign nicknames to athletes? It strikes me as a weird and uniquely provincial way to publicly display a connection with them. Simmons does this all the time, and it never ceases to be annoying. I don't know what it would take, but the Celtics have to at least try to make a play for Russ Westbrook. I know he's got the numbers, but until Norv is gone I'm just not a believer in Phil Rivers. No doubt about it, he x-factor in the East Finals is Lu Deng.

New York Athletes are never given nicknames. Ever. New York fans never get caught up in the hype or frenzy and create interesting, or not so interesting, nicknames for atheletic "phenomenons." This does not happen. I find that Lintresting. Some would call it Linsanity. Broadway Joe would shake his head. The Bambino may be turning in his grave. The Captain would not care. Rex Ryan and The Termintor may disagree. The Sanchise may pout, but I bet Chris Berman, a NY native I beleive, would give an approving nod.

I also think it's funny that anyone would beleive that Bill Simmons represents Boston fans....no matter how much he tries to convince his readers that this is so.

Edited by Garb