Has Any Team But The Jets Ever Taken A Kicker In Round 2 Of The Draft?

Just curious if anyone knows the answer? The Jets took Mike Nugent kicker from Ohio State with their second round pick #47 in the 2005 Draft. It was their first pick that year, they swapped picks with Oakland, who got the Jets first rounder, and they got TE Doug Jolley. That worked out great, Jolley's one year in New York was quite impressive.

Who could forget the pain of kicker Doug Brien deciding to miss two game winning field goals in the playoffs against Pittsburgh 2004-5, so the Jets thought it was a good idea to use their first pick in next year's draft on a kicker. Of course it would mean automatic championship but as we know that didn't go as planned.

Was wondering if anyone can remember if any other team was dumb enough to waste a second round pick on a kicker?

Was wondering if anyone can remember if any other team was dumb enough to waste a second round pick on a kicker?

Definitely.

The Raiders picked a kicker in the 1st round, pick 17 overall in 2000 - it was Janikowksi.

Simple google search reveals that Mike Nugent was the 7th highest pick for a kicker. None of the others were in the modern era, with the exception of Janikowski

Edited by stoicsentry

Definitely.

The Raiders picked a kicker in the 1st round, pick 17 overall in 2000 - it was Janikowksi.

Simple google search reveals that Mike Nugent was the 7th highest pick for a kicker. None of the others were in the modern era, with the exception of Janikowski

The post is more to just spark a little conversation about that time and some bad Jets moves. If I wasn't so lazy I could have researched it myself but since the people in the forum are more knowledgeable then Google I'd rather hear from them. :winking0001:

Edited by denden29

The post is more to just spark a little conversation about that time and some bad Jets moves. If I wasn't so lazy I could have researched it myself but since the people in the forum are more knowledgeable then Google I'd rather hear from them. :winking0001:

Why make yourself miserable and think of the bad moments.

What made this whole thing absurd was that the Jets needed a tight end. So they traded out of the first round when Heath Miller was projected as the best TE that year. They ended up taking Nuge, who has been ok in his career, not worth a 2 obviously, then took Justin Miller whom the fans really wanted, but really didn't turn out to much.

fortunately, since 2006 the Jets have been one of the best drafting teams in the NFL

Hall of Famers -- Mangold, Revis

plus Ferguson, Harris, Keller, Sanchez, Greene, Slaussen, Wilson, McKnight, Connor, Smith, Wilkerson and Ellis

and only one confirmed bust and one potential (Gholston and Vlad)

I think taking O'Brien over Marino tops that.

I think worse is Browning Nagle + a 6th round pick to move up 2 slots, over Brett Favre. So Browning Nagle + Blaise Bryant over Brett Favre is worse. O'Brien was at least a legitimate NFL QB for a while and was great for a year & a half.

fortunately, since 2006 the Jets have been one of the best drafting teams in the NFL

plus Ferguson, Harris, Keller, Sanchez, Greene, Slaussen, Wilson, McKnight, Connor, Smith, Wilkerson and Ellis

The Jets have been average at best when it comes to drafting. They have made some very solid picks but the problem is they haven't had enough of them to build any sort of depth. Your list is a little premature on a lot of those guys. Especially where the majority of them were drafted.

Just feel like this was one of the all time worst moves.. Maybe I should have said that as my topic. "Was drafting Nugent the worst/dumbest move the Jets ever made?"

OMG it was a terrible trade. The only good news to come out of it is that the morons who orchestrated such a travesty for the Jets have long since been fired and tossed out of the building. I think. I'd have to look it up.

I think worse is Browning Nagle + a 6th round pick to move up 2 slots, over Brett Favre. So Browning Nagle + Blaise Bryant over Brett Favre is worse. O'Brien was at least a legitimate NFL QB for a while and was great for a year & a half.

my memory is that they moved up two slots to the spot directly behind the Falcons who then drafted Favre which then caused Steinberg to kneejerkedly draft Nagle with the next pick

I could be wrong, though in which case, I humbly apologize

my memory is that they moved up two slots to the spot directly behind the Falcons who then drafted Favre which then caused Steinberg to kneejerkedly draft Nagle with the next pick

I don't recall that, but it was a long time ago. My memory was that we stayed pat and figured Favre would fall another slot or two. That we knew GB loved him but didn't know Atlanta had interest as well. Whatever it was, we didn't move up to get the one player we wanted and figured no one would want him. Worse still was the list of players we drafted on day two, whose picks we apparently couldn't do without.

What you're describing, the Jets did again over a decade later. In '03, moved up to #4 on Friday before the draft even started, with the idea that the player they wanted (DRob) would be there.

I don't recall that, but it was a long time ago. My memory was that we stayed pat and figured Favre would fall another slot or two. That we knew GB loved him but didn't know Atlanta had interest as well. Whatever it was, we didn't move up to get the one player we wanted and figured no one would want him. Worse still was the list of players we drafted on day two, whose picks we apparently couldn't do without.

What you're describing, the Jets did again over a decade later. In '03, moved up to #4 on Friday before the draft even started, with the idea that the player they wanted (DRob) would be there.

2004 actually but I agree that Bradway giving away 2 number ones to move down for the Kentucky fried turkey who they knew had no miniscus cartilege remaining in one of his knees was his worst draft blunder of his "career" - way worse than Nugent and even worse than Gholston at number 6.

IIRC, didn't the Patriots spook Bradway in 03 by "leaking" how much they loved DRob so much that they were going to trade up with either the Cowboys or Saints to get him? God, Belichick still probably laughs his a$$ off at that one.

IIRC, didn't the Patriots spook Bradway in 03 by "leaking" how much they loved DRob so much that they were going to trade up with either the Cowboys or Saints to get him? God, Belichick still probably laughs his a$$ off at that one.

And Shane that is what we all think happened, since they spoke highly of him, but there's no way of knowing if they were playing the part of decoy or truly wanted to move up to grab him. The Pats have made plenty of bad draft picks in the BB era. (They once moved up 20 places - from the slot GB used to take Greg Jennings - to "steal" Chad Jackson. They took a ton of players that year and the only one that panned out was a kicker.) He still laughing that one? Or is he still tickled with laughter over beating us out on the Adalius Thomas sweepstakes?

2004 actually but I agree that Bradway giving away 2 number ones to move down for the Kentucky fried turkey who they knew had no miniscus cartilege remaining in one of his knees was his worst draft blunder of his "career" - way worse than Nugent and even worse than Gholston at number 6.

No, it was 2003 actually.

And what made it so idiotic is - bad as DSuck was for a #4 overall pick - that we didn't know if he would even be there. Further, it was two #1s and a #4. People are going nuts over trading a mid-round pick here & there for known quantities. This was a throw-in. Worse still, it was years before the rookie salary cap slots, so you could trade all that for a player and now his agent has you bent over a barrel. Which is what happened.

nuge has actually had a good career. just not with the jets. I think the jets actually need to pay more attention to the kicking game of late, it's like tanny figures he can put crap out there and westhoff will coach 'em up

Accurate. Ron Wolf was part of the jets' front office,and was rightly convinced Favre was going to be something special. Nagle threw for 366 yards in his first game vs. the Falcons opening day,and was never as good thereafter. Favre was on the bench that day for the Falcons. Wolf leaves the Jets to be GM of the Packers and immediately trades for Favre.

As to kickers; the Saints took Russell Erxleben of Texas with the 11th pick of the 1st round in 1979. he would play all of 3 years and 1 game.

And Shane that is what we all think happened, since they spoke highly of him, but there's no way of knowing if they were playing the part of decoy or truly wanted to move up to grab him. The Pats have made plenty of bad draft picks in the BB era. (They once moved up 20 places - from the slot GB used to take Greg Jennings - to "steal" Chad Jackson. They took a ton of players that year and the only one that panned out was a kicker.) He still laughing that one? Or is he still tickled with laughter over beating us out on the Adalius Thomas sweepstakes?

And what made it so idiotic is - bad as DSuck was for a #4 overall pick - that we didn't know if he would even be there. Further, it was two #1s and a #4. People are going nuts over trading a mid-round pick here & there for known quantities. This was a throw-in. Worse still, it was years before the rookie salary cap slots, so you could trade all that for a player and now his agent has you bent over a barrel. Which is what happened.

You upped the font size for that? For me? You...why, you.

you are correct, it was 2003

damn alzheimers, the mind is a terrible thing to lose

You upped the font size for that? For me? You...why, you.

I didn't do anything with font size. It's just a bonus that happened by accident. Didn't even notice until you brought it up.

Problems with the site. Max blew the whole budget on moderators. Then he blew the moderators. Twice.

I didn't do anything with font size. It's just a bonus that happened by accident. Didn't even notice until you brought it up.

Problems with the site. Max blew the whole budget on moderators. Then he blew the moderators. Twice.

Twice? Fat dudes have a hard time getting any.

:rl:

Just feel like this was one of the all time worst moves.. Maybe I should have said that as my topic. "Was drafting Nugent the worst/dumbest move the Jets ever made?"

Not all drafts are created equal.

That was a weak draft. the Jets first round target was Justin Miller. They traded down after he got arrested throwing a party a week or so before the draft. that Nugent pick was playing with house money. They still got Miller (who made the Pro Bowl as a KR) also got Kerry Rhodes with some of the extra 6s and 7s in the jolley trade.

it should also be noted that Nugent became an outstanding kicker with the Bengals. he's one of those people that just couldn't make it in new york. It happens (alot).

In his home state of Ohio he's cash money. final question how many games has Janikowski won for the Raiders? That actually turned out to be a great pick.

Edited by bitonti

if we are talking all time bad moves, Blair THomas over Emmitt Smith has to be up there. Kenny Obrien was a good player but over Dan Marino? How about Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp?

Drob was another weak draft and so was Gholston. Im not mad when the Jets come away from a weak draft with a weak player. Im mad when they come away from a great draft with an average player.

by the way since we are talking Drob, he started over 80 games, he had at least 5 sacks and it was the year Josh Evans was getting suspended for his 3rd violation of the drug policy. It was a disapointment cause everyone wanted Warren Sapp but the dude started day 1 and actually did an ok job. Compared to Gholston, Drob had an amazing NFL career. It's all relative I guess is my point.

Edited by bitonti

Practice makes perfect?

Not all drafts are created equal.

That is true.

However, not long after we took a kicker, as if that were the real reason we lost to the Steelers, players like Nick Collins, Vincent Jackson, Frank Gore, and Justin Tuck were all drafted.

And, had we not traded back, there was Roddy White and Heath Miller.

That is true.

However, not long after we took a kicker, as if that were the real reason we lost to the Steelers, players like Nick Collins, Vincent Jackson, Frank Gore, and Justin Tuck were all drafted.

And, had we not traded back, there was Roddy White and Heath Miller.

Dude. You know. These things happen.

Definitely.

Which is exactly why we are the Raiders East.