Has Any Team But The Jets Ever Taken A Kicker In Round 2 Of The Draft?

denden29

if we are talking all time bad moves, Blair THomas over Emmitt Smith has to be up there. Kenny Obrien was a good player but over Dan Marino? How about Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp?

Drob was another weak draft and so was Gholston. Im not mad when the Jets come away from a weak draft with a weak player. Im mad when they come away from a great draft with an average player.

by the way since we are talking Drob, he started over 80 games, he had at least 5 sacks and it was the year Josh Evans was getting suspended for his 3rd violation of the drug policy. It was a disapointment cause everyone wanted Warren Sapp but the dude started day 1 and actually did an ok job. Compared to Gholston, Drob had an amazing NFL career. It's all relative I guess is my point.

I like to think they didn't even want Robertson as much as they wanted Johnson, but the Texans were being all c-wordy.

About Favre..

If I am not mistaken, I have read somewhere that it was Giants former GM Ernie Accorsi that went to GB and told them to sign Atlantas benchwarmer Favre. He was their 3rd qb at the time.

But maybe your take on it is the right one, or maybe everybody is trying to get cred for "finding" Favre.

Think SD took their choke-artist pretty high, like the very very top of round 3. I forget which technically was taken with the acquired pick, him or their center, but I think it was the other one of the Eli-Rivers trade picks (the other being the pick used for Merriman).

Giants once used one of their supplemental 3rd round picks on a punter I think. Funny thing is he (Maynard) had a ridiculously long career but not for the Giants.

I don't recall that, but it was a long time ago. My memory was that we stayed pat and figured Favre would fall another slot or two. That we knew GB loved him but didn't know Atlanta had interest as well. Whatever it was, we didn't move up to get the one player we wanted and figured no one would want him. Worse still was the list of players we drafted on day two, whose picks we apparently couldn't do without.

What you're describing, the Jets did again over a decade later. In '03, moved up to #4 on Friday before the draft even started, with the idea that the player they wanted (DRob) would be there.

We had Drob ranked high but we had Andre Johnson ranked higher...the original reports we we wanted Andre Johnson and were praying he'd slip to 4, but when he didn't we went to with Drob. Pretty sure a few years later Bradway even admited Johnson was their original target.

We had Drob ranked high but we had Andre Johnson ranked higher...the original reports we we wanted Andre Johnson and were praying he'd slip to 4, but when he didn't we went to with Drob. Pretty sure a few years later Bradway even admited Johnson was their original target.

I never read that before but that makes it even worse.

I never read that before but that makes it even worse.

That does not make sense. The Jets moved up on Friday (which I never understood) with the intent of drafting Robertson. The Jets were then concerned other teams my jump in front of them, and were thinking of even going up to #2 to take Robertson.

I don't ever remember hearing a word about Johnson.

That does not make sense. The Jets moved up on Friday (which I never understood) with the intent of drafting Robertson. The Jets were then concerned other teams my jump in front of them, and were thinking of even going up to #2 to take Robertson.

old topic on a jets message board you even commented on it saying it would be dumb for us to move up for johnson : / haha

I remember lots of talk about Johnson...just couldn't land him...I think the Texans made the decision to draft him and not trade the pick before the draft...Jets couldn't or just didn't move up to 2. That put the eyes on Robertson, who was a big deal in that draft.

The fact that the Jets completely missed on Johnson is one of the reasons I've followed his whole pro career.

Definitely.

The Raiders picked a kicker in the 1st round, pick 17 overall in 2000 - it was Janikowksi.

Simple google search reveals that Mike Nugent was the 7th highest pick for a kicker. None of the others were in the modern era, with the exception of Janikowski

Raiders took punter Ray Guy with the 23rd pick of the first rd in 1973...

And Shane that is what we all think happened, since they spoke highly of him, but there's no way of knowing if they were playing the part of decoy or truly wanted to move up to grab him. The Pats have made plenty of bad draft picks in the BB era. (They once moved up 20 places - from the slot GB used to take Greg Jennings - to "steal" Chad Jackson. They took a ton of players that year and the only one that panned out was a kicker.) He still laughing that one? Or is he still tickled with laughter over beating us out on the Adalius Thomas sweepstakes?

No, it was 2003 actually.

And what made it so idiotic is - bad as DSuck was for a #4 overall pick - that we didn't know if he would even be there. Further, it was two #1s and a #4. People are going nuts over trading a mid-round pick here & there for known quantities. This was a throw-in. Worse still, it was years before the rookie salary cap slots, so you could trade all that for a player and now his agent has you bent over a barrel. Which is what happened.

how can anyone Knock the 2003 draft? we got Brooks "The Midget" Bollinger! Best draft EVER! lol

Archived