If you could go back in time and change one thing about Jets History

SouthernJet

they didn't actually let Riggins walk

the year it happened their was some sort of lapse in the CBA (not exactly sure what specifically) and dozens of big names were free to walk with no compensation. That same year, I believeCsonka left for the Giants and other big names just upped and went elsewhere.

After sanity was restored, just about every team that acquired players voluntarily ceded draft picks to the teams that suffered the losses. Mara and the Giants gave the Dolphins a high pick for Csonka, for example. The only exception of course were the scumbag Redskins who had signed a number of players in addition to Riggins and offered nothin' to nobody.

Just to be different Ill go more recent. I would have loved for Rex and Tannenbaum to not have drafted Sanchez and gone back to Mississippi and begged Brett Favre to come back in 2009. That team had the goods that year. You get the Favre that showed up in Minnesota you run away with the title that year. I think we all underestimated just how good that team was going to be that year because of how they fell apart with Mangini the year before.

The Walt Michaels firing, replaced by Walton.

I think we could have seen a SB with Michaels remaining. Walton lost that team, and it had immense talent.

Excellent point,I forgot about that. Walton had all that talent,a complete nose-pickin jack-a$$!

what would you change??

I would change when Weeb retired and was allowed by Jets ownership to name his damn son-in-law Charlie Winner as new Jets Head Coach. At the time, Buddy Ryan was the Jets Def Coord. and next in line to be Jets HC. At the time local papers were even shocked. Who knows what would have been altered.

(2nd choice would be to have Parcells KEEP his freaking word to Belichick and totally leave Jets organization and hand 100% control over to Belichick when Tuna retired. We never would have seen a Patriots Belichick)

Marino!

Ya, I would have benched Gastineau on that last play vs Browns in Playoffs.

No idiotic roughing QB penalty, we win game and I am pretty sure we beat Denver following week to get to SB.

Yes and if you remember during the season, we played Denver on Monday night and beat the crap out of Elway and the Broncos.

I was at that game! One of the best games ever!!

Was watching the game on TV...the look on Elway's face while he was sitting on the bench after getting hit, was like get me the F out of here...I am convinced there wasn't another team out there that would have beaten us...oh wait we beat ourselves....seriously, I think we would have won the SB that year.

Was watching the game on TV...the look on Elway's face while he was sitting on the bench after getting hit, was like get me the F out of here...I am convinced there wasn't another team out there that would have beaten us...oh wait we beat ourselves....seriously, I think we would have won the SB that year.

The Jets would not have won the Super Bowl that year, because Joe Walton was the coach.

Does anyone remember the shell that Walton went into in that Cleveland game in overtime? To say it was 3 runs and a punt would be nice about it. That showed me that Walton would just panic in any big spot.

While Gastineau's hit cost the Jets big time in that Cleveland game, they still had plenty of chances to win that game, but Walton would not allow it.

The Jets would not have won the Super Bowl that year, because Joe Walton was the coach.

Does anyone remember the shell that Walton went into in that Cleveland game in overtime? To say it was 3 runs and a punt would be nice about it. That showed me that Walton would just panic in any big spot.

While Gastineau's hit cost the Jets big time in that Cleveland game, they still had plenty of chances to win that game, but Walton would not allow it.

If I remember correctly we missed a couple of field goal attempts to win the game. Can't blame Walton on that.

Cover the ******* field in Miami January 1983.

Fully agree with this one. I ******* hated Walton.

Win-win? :winking0001:

Your Right I forgot the nightmare game against the Dolphins.....that was a scumbag move by Shula...NFL changed the rules after that!

It was the Browns who missed a coupe of field goals.

It was a double OT game....I could swear that our guy (who was almost automatic) missed on at least one...Pat Leahey was the guy, I think I might have mispelled his name....and your right the browns did miss also....

I would have loved for Rex and Tannenbaum to not have drafted Sanchez and gone back to Mississippi and begged Brett Favre to come back in 2009. That team had the goods that year. You get the Favre that showed up in Minnesota you run away with the title that year.

2009 Brett Favre with the 2009 Jets, that team is 13-3 and wins the SB handily.

they didn't actually let Riggins walk

the year it happened their was some sort of lapse in the CBA (not exactly sure what specifically) and dozens of big names were free to walk with no compensation. That same year, I believeCsonka left for the Giants and other big names just upped and went elsewhere.

After sanity was restored, just about every team that acquired players voluntarily ceded draft picks to the teams that suffered the losses. Mara and the Giants gave the Dolphins a high pick for Csonka, for example. The only exception of course were the scumbag Redskins who had signed a number of players in addition to Riggins and offered nothin' to nobody.

Yeah I seem to vaguely remember what you're talking about so I did a little research.

You're partially correct.

After the 1975 season, the courts had overturned a rule that established “fair and equitable” compensation when a team lost a free agent to another team, so franchises became more inclined to sign free agents who’d completed their contract-option seasons because no compensation was required. In effect, the ruling created what is now known as "unrestricted free agency" for one year in 1976.

Riggins completed his option year in 1975, so he was free to walk after the season. What made matters worse, was that Riggins let it be publicly known that he was not happy with the Jets pass-oriented offense, and even though he was voted the Team MVP in 1975, the Jets were not happy with his behavior and let him walk without trying to resign him. The Redskins also offered him a huge contract that the money strapped Jets were not willing to offer.

While there were other players effected by the ruling, Larry Csonka was not one of them. He had left Miami 2 years earlier in 1974 (along with his Miami teammates Jim Kiick and Paul Warfield) for the new World Football League. The league folded in 1976, at which point he was free to resign with the NFL, and did so with the Giants.

Archived