Manish Mehta: Jets Give Bart Scott Permission to Seek trade

flgreen

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a win win move for the JETS.

If they find someone ready for the trade the JETS get some draft picks.

If not they have all the leverage to ask for a massive salary cut!

He's fully guaranteed for 2012's salary. The Jets have ZERO leverage here, plus he's untradable with his ridiculous contract. I mean seriously, what was the FO thinking with some of these contracts? He's not going anywhere, so speculating who will replace him is fruitless.

That's not what I said. Hill didn't produce in college and didn't pop up on the radar until combine week. I don't think he is that rare of an athlete either.

A second or thrid round pick, fine. First is ridiculous.

He's been on the radar all season and has been mocked in the 2nd and 3rd before he ran the 40. His average per catch is over 29 yards a catch.

I can't see any takers unfortunately. I would call the Colts immediately if I was Tanny. They just hired Chuck Pagano who was part of the Ravens defense. The Colts are moving to a 3-4 defense and they may need a player to help them ease into the transition.

I would send:

Bart Scott & 4th Round Pick for the Colts 5th Round pick.

He's been on the radar all season and has been mocked in the 2nd and 3rd before he ran the 40. His average per catch is over 29 yards a catch.

Floyd had twice as many catches in his senior season as this guy has had in his whole career. If it came down between the two, Floyd should be the pick. That said, if this guy is around in the 3rd round and WR hadn't been addressed yet, then he'd be worth a look.

Floyd had twice as many catches in his senior season as this guy has had in his whole career. If it came down between the two, Floyd should be the pick. That said, if this guy is around in the 3rd round and WR hadn't been addressed yet, then he'd be worth a look.

Floyd is now a top 15 pick who I had the Jets taking in my first mock. Hill again didn't get catches because GT didn't throw the ball and there is no chance in hell of him being there in the 3rd. He'll be gone in the 2nd maybe before we draft but if he's there in the 2nd and we didn't draft a WR with our first we should jump all over it.

He's fully guaranteed for 2012's salary. The Jets have ZERO leverage here, plus he's untradable with his ridiculous contract. I mean seriously, what was the FO thinking with some of these contracts? He's not going anywhere, so speculating who will replace him is fruitless.

Scott doesn't have to take the cut though

Thats correct.

This is kinda off topic but in regards to LB what are the realistic chances we go after and actually sign Mario Williams?

If we can get him as a FA Tanny could use some of our picks to bump up and possibly get Blackmon if he falls a couple spots. That would fill two huge holes and let them worry about safetys and OL the rest of the draft.

This is kinda off topic but in regards to LB what are the realistic chances we go after and actually sign Mario Williams?

If we can get him as a FA Tanny could use some of our picks to bump up and possibly get Blackmon if he falls a couple spots. That would fill two huge holes and let them worry about safetys and OL the rest of the draft.

Just wow. You think that somehow that Tanny, with only $7 million and change to spend below the cap so far, can just cut Scott who has a $4.5 million guarantee, sign Williams to a monster contract that he will surely require, trade away picks to move up in the draft to snag Blackmon, AND still have both picks and money to fill multiple holes at safety and OL.

Quite the dream world you live in there, bud.

The truth hurts, but Bart Scott looked washed up last season. He couldn't get on the field against passing teams, and he was constantly being exposed in space with his diminished athletic ability. His rah rah attitude will be missed, but seeing how the locker room exploded irregardless of his presence anyway, I'd say that aspect of his value is widely overrated. Time for some youth and athleticism in the middle of the field.

This is a win win move for the JETS.

If they find someone ready for the trade the JETS get some draft picks.

If not they have all the leverage to ask for a massive salary cut!

Why? His salary is fully guaranteed. He doesn't have to give back a dime. Why would he?

Not with $4.5 million guaranteed. Tanny screwed the pooch on this one.

Just wow. You think that somehow that Tanny, with only $7 million and change to spend below the cap so far, can just cut Scott who has a $4.5 million guarantee, sign Williams to a monster contract that he will surely require, trade away picks to move up in the draft to snag Blackmon, AND still have both picks and money to fill multiple holes at safety and OL.

Quite the dream world you live in there, bud.

Nothing better than a member of Bruins Nation stopping by to share the vast knowledge they've gleaned from twelve years at Billy Belichick's School of Hard Knocks.

Incidentally, the username "GronkWelkHead" is such a spot-on satire of Boston fandom that part of me suspects this is actually T0mShane executing a master class in trolling.

Nothing better than a member of Bruins Nation stopping by to share the vast knowledge they've gleaned from twelve years at Billy Belichick's School of Hard Knocks.

Incidentally, the username "GronkWelkHead" is such a spot-on satire of Boston fandom that part of me suspects this is actually T0mShane executing a master class in trolling.

I'm flattered, but I wouldn't burn a good trolling on a nom de plume. I prefer the backlash to land directly in my lap. It's a thing.

Post image for Bart Scott Likely On His Way Out

It seems as though Bart Scott may have played his last game as a New York Jet, at least thats the way Scott’s agent Harold Lewis feels about the situation according to Rich Cimini.

Team officials met with Scott’s agent at the NFL scouting combine to discuss the linebacker’s future. Agent Harold Lewis said Monday he told the Jets that Scott was “extremely frustrated” in his diminished role last season, and that it was “destroying him” not to be utilized as he was in his first two seasons.

Lewis said he didn’t request a trade, nor has he received permission to seek a trade. But that could be a matter of semantics at this point. Scott’s “ultimate goal” is to stay with the Jets, according to Lewis, who added: “If we can’t fix what’s broken, there will be other opportunities.”

So it seems as though it is just a matter of time before the Jets part ways with Scott.  This would be a smart move for the Jets, who need to get younger on defense, specifically at the linebacker position.  Although Scott was such an important player in 2009 and 2010, his play last year was very disappointing and at times warranted his benching during games.

Scott is 32 years old and has a guaranteed salary of $4.2 million for 2012, and his cap hit is currently $5.9 million.

di
di

eHGAozB1Eis

View the full article

Too small.

Unless they are going to more of a 4-3 base, then in that case are you moving Harris or Kuechly to OLB.

If it's any ILB it's hightower.

I still think the pick is going to be Stephen Hill.

Nevermind. I looked at his measureables. Luke could be the pick he's the same size as Scott. Thing is, would he be there after the Cowboys and Eagles pick?

exactly, and he's only 3 lbs. lighter than Harris. Yet you could be right as to where Hightower miht be the best fit, plus Rex is close to Saban.

If Scott is traded he will negotiate a new contract. The Jets are stuck with his money and Scott gets the guaranteed portion no matter what. The Jets would get a reduction on the cap equal to Scott's new 2012 salary with the other team, which won't be much. They only thing is the draft pick the jets could get but if I were an NFL GM I might trade a bag of balls for him. The Jets should keep Scott, while he's not worth the money, but you can squeeze some production out of him. Cutting him is no good $7.2M for a non-player can't do it.

I'm sorry to say about FA like Williams and others, not going to happen. The Jets will be $6.5m under the cap after they tender Maybin. Just signing Cole, MTV, Pool and Turner will cost at least $2.6M then Pouha $3-4m and what about any other FA and you draft class. Now there are moves that can be made but the Jets need like $12-15m more at least to field a team. Sorry no Nicks, Williams or Branch.

Although I'm sure many will find your comments scintillating, it strikes me that you didn't critique my posted opinon, but only made a lame comment about my fandom and choice of user name. Great contribution that..

Not sure why you are pointing me to a post that is rife with inaccuracies and incorrect assumptions? Play hardball with Sanchez by threatening to cut him? If I were he I call that bluff. Who are you going to replace him with? His salary is guaranteed as well, no? Convert Bart Scott's salary to a three year prorated signing bonus? This is the same guy you hope to trade? Saying it's "easy" to create $29 million in cap room is really quite funny in its naïveté.

Popularityscore-8.gifmovement-none.jpg

Why cant Scott agree to restructure his contract with his new team.?

The salary is guaranteed. So, convert that into signing bonus.

I'm not 100% sure but I think this is what may happen, if the Jets are able to trade Scott. Let's say they give a team Scott and a 5th round draft pick and say get a 7th in return. The Jets will save under the salary cap if this were to happen. Only the prorated bonus will accelerate the rest will be wiped out so about $3m saved under the cap.

I think that the Jets would still have to pay Scott the $4+m in guaranteed money, not 100% sure but I think so. This is why he'd take the minimum to play somewhere else, I mean he's already getting paid by the Jets but it won't count on the cap.

Would you take on Scott's current contract, no way, and Scott would not just give up $4m, so I think that is how it works but I'm trying to find out for sure.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/bartscotttrade.php

Not sure why you are pointing me to a post that is rife with inaccuracies and incorrect assumptions? Play hardball with Sanchez by threatening to cut him? If I were he I call that bluff. Who are you going to replace him with? His salary is guaranteed as well, no? Convert Bart Scott's salary to a three year prorated signing bonus?

This is great. From here on out, when ever I want to try telling someone they're wrong, I'm just going to repeat what they said verbatim and put a question mark on the end of it.

Archived