Manish Mehta: Jets Give Bart Scott Permission to Seek trade

flgreen

Lewis said he and Scott have not asked permission to seek a trade. Scott is considered a good influence in the Jets’ locker room, which came under fire last season for some fracturing.

"Bart kept it together in there," Lewis said. "He wasn’t one of those guys having problems."

Interesting...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is vocal about his play time, unhappy that he has become a situational backer.

So you are talking about this situation now, OK. Til now, he has been a leader on the team vocally. And what he has said til this point hasn't been really a problem. Its him being honest, he wants to play more. I understand, his snaps have decreased nearly by half. A big dollar player has a fair argument.

Oh, I get what you're saying and I think those are the type of moves teams never particularly expect their fans to be happy with at the start. Let's not forget just under a year ago the kind of hissy fit Giant fans were throwing over their team letting Steve Smith go and replacing him with some loser UDFA by the name of Victor Cruz. Obviously they feel much different about it now. Of course none of that is to say it would work out as well for the Jets, but more the point being that nobody ever particularly likes those types of moves when they're first made. If the Jets have a way they think they can move Scott and save some money off the cap, while also feeling good about Mauga, they'd probably see themselves better served addressing other positions they consider to be of greater priority.

I am with you. I am with all moves made in the best interest of making a better squad. I just hate the criers and hope this doesn't end up creating more whiners. Plus, I like Bart. Kind of bummed to see him go... if he goes.

The Jets are $7.7m under the cap. Maybin tender goes on the cap so they are at $6.5 they have lowered the cap $7.2m already, started $517,000 under.

They can convert 2012 roster bonus, Sanchez, Revis, Cromartie, and Wilson, to signing bonus save $5m, just like D’Brick changes nothing for them. They renegotiate Eric Smith save $1.5m, prorate $4m Holmes save $3m, Push $3m Sanchez base into 2013, he'll do it, save $3m there is a veterans exemption in the CBA saving $1.5m. That is $21.2m in savings adding in the $500K of space. You have created like $22m in space and you can still get money from DeVito, Hunter, Scott, and Pace. So you can get $29 million if you want it.

Just to sign six former Jet FA is like $8m then $5m for the draft that's $13m before you sign any FA from another team, backup QB, O-lineman, WR, or safety. So the Jets are going to have to make many of these moves, not all in the article, but it can be done.

Geez, that was so easy. Surprised Tanny hasn't done this already. Of course, the players you mention have to WANT to renogiate. And who cares what effect this has on future cap years, right? And I'm sure the FO is 100% positive they will want to retain Sanchez in 2013 and beyond. Yep, easy peasy.

Interesting...

I've liked Mehta in the past, but I have to wonder if he is going the Cimini route here. Since the season ended he has had a few stories that have brought out denials, from players.

Lewis met with Tannenbaum at the combine. Is Mehta speculating that it is about trade permission? And just went with the story as if it is fact?

Time will tell. Scott is over paid, but it just doesn't make sense that they would give up draft picks to get rid of him, still have to pay a major portion of his salary, then have to pay another player to take his spot. I just don't see Mauga as a 3 down back

Geez, that was so easy. Surprised Tanny hasn't done this already. Of course, the players you mention have to WANT to renogiate. And who cares what effect this has on future cap years, right? And I'm sure the FO is 100% positive they will want to retain Sanchez in 2013 and beyond. Yep, easy peasy.

Great username. Is that when both the recipient and giver are standing when administering said head?

I've liked Mehta in the past, but I have to wonder if he is going the Cimini route here. Since the season ended he has had a few stories that have brought out denials, from players.

Lewis met with Tannenbaum at the combine. Is Mehta speculating that it is about trade permission? And just went with the story as if it is fact?

Time will tell. Scott is over paid, but it just doesn't make sense that they would give up draft picks to get rid of him, still have to pay a major portion of his salary, then have to pay another player to take his spot. I just don't see Mauga as a 3 down back

Gotta love his work of not disclosing his sources.

Great username. Is that when both the recipient and giver are standing when administering said head?

Actually, my user name is an amalgamation of three players the Jets have no answer for...Gronkowski, Welker, and Woodhead. (And a special thanks for cutting the littlest guy who you had no idea how to use his considerable abilities)

Actually, my user name is an amalgamation of three players the Jets have no answer for...Gronkowski, Welker, and Woodhead. (And a special thanks for cutting the littlest guy who you had no idea how to use his considerable abilities)

Yeah, we faltered. Its cool. Its funny, those three guys did great against the Giants. Gronk, I got a boo boo but can dance the night away with other shirtless men... Wes Butterfingers Welker, and Woodhead.. our scout team trash, your team's all purpose towel/water/knob slob boy.

Yeah, we faltered. Its cool. Its funny, those three guys did great against the Giants. Gronk, I got a boo boo but can dance the night away with other shirtless men... Wes Butterfingers Welker, and Woodhead.. our scout team trash, your team's all purpose towel/water/knob slob boy.

LMAO...yeah, your receivers never dropped balls on their way to another stellar 8-8 season, especially balls that were high and behind them. Sucks that Butterfingers was so lousy he could only amass the best numbers of any receiver in the league. Surely if the Pats had a great locker room guy and on-field performer like Holmes or Plax they would have won yet another SB. It also sucks that Gronk couldn't be more like Keller who's a beast of a receiver, and if Woodhead could learn how to puke on cue he could be another McKnight. Honestly, it's a miracle that the Pats are barely able to squeek past the Jets year in and year out.

LMAO...yeah, your receivers never dropped balls on their way to another stellar 8-8 season, especially balls that were high and behind them. Sucks that Butterfingers was so lousy he could only amass the best numbers of any receiver in the league. Surely if the Pats had a great locker room guy and on-field performer like Holmes or Plax they would have won yet another SB. It also sucks that Gronk couldn't be more like Keller who's a beast of a receiver, and if Woodhead could learn how to puke on cue he could be another McKnight. Honestly, it's a miracle that the Pats are barely able to squeek past the Jets year in and year out.

Our receivers didn't get a chance to drop any balls cause our Quarterback should be playing in a junior high game, not the NFL. Butterfingers has Tom "Halfway out of the Closet but still a damn good ball player" Brady lobbing him the ball. The ball hit both his hands, he should have caught it. I bet if it was a wiener being thrown at his face he would haven't bobbled it. You won't get any arguments out of me about Holmes. Guys a scumbag. So? Gronk better than Keller as far as a pass catching TE. Then again, there is the Sanchez factor again. But regardless, I doubt you'd find Keller dancing shirtless with other shirtless men the day he lost the Super Bowl. If your team of Marys had McKnight, he would be an All Pro.

Year in and year out? OK. Oh hey, we want to dump Bart Scott.. I am sure you can have our leftovers again. Don't forget to overpay. Thanks pal.

I think we've all learned a valuable lesson: rigorous numerical analysis can be brushed aside by completely uninformed speculation, provided it's delivered in a haughty tone and peppered with sophomore-year vocabulary words. If I were ye, I'd be positively engorged with a surfeit of self-felicitation for possessing the manifest élan necessary to ameliorate such mendacious poppycock.

foods10.gif

Savvy?

Right now the Jets can afford Maybin and their draft class? So you have 15 other former Jet FA that you can re-sign, not Maybin he’s being tendered. Pouha, Pool, Turner, Strickland, who are you signing and how much will they cost?

There are two guys who are renegotiating their contract Eric Smith, do you think he's worth $2m and has any leverage over the team, I mean would anyone cry if they just cut him and where does he go? Do you think the Jets will not approach Sanchez about his contract? I mean he's 2011 season was so great how dare they. Every report is the team is already discussing his contract.

All the other moves do not affect the player’s money only the accounting. As far as pushing money forward. There is NO WAY the Jets can create enough cap space to field a team without moving salary. Every time you mention ACTUALLY CAP SAVINGS like Smith, Sanchez or DeVito giving up some money everyone cries like, ‘they'll never give up the money’. Then people cry when you take nothing from the player and you push money into 2013 or 14.

Do you think D'Brick did the Jets a favor? All he did was make it impossible for them to cut him in 2014/15. He got his money and protected his future didn't do anything for the team.

The bottom line is the Jets can make these moves or something similar and be fine in 2013. The fact is if they were to sign a FA like Branch or Williams they would be dead. That will not happen.

They’re going to make enough space to get one year stop gap guys then cut high priced contracts next year.

So maybe you can tell me how the Jets are going to get the $15-20m, right now they have $7.7m, they need to field a team? Remember the Maybin tender when made counts on the cap so take $1.3m out

Um...doesn't Scott's deal have some provision where any money paid him by another team comes off our cap? I would assume the "trade" talk would be to find a team that would make Bart happy and pay a decent part of his salary.

Gholston had plenty of production at Ohio State.

Meh. From what I understand, he was spotty. Dominated some bad players, but was often non-existent.

Meh. From what I understand, he was spotty. Dominated some bad players, but was often non-existent.

Yep, but everyone over looked because he got a sack on Jake Long. OMGZ!!!! The word was, 1 move, bull rush. Thats it. Gave up on plays, couldnt play the run to save his life, stiff, not enough Football experience, etc etc etc. Those were the JI days and I was dead set against him. Sanchez too, but what do I know?

Yep, but everyone over looked because he got a sack on Jake Long. OMGZ!!!! The word was, 1 move, bull rush. Thats it. Gave up on plays, couldnt play the run to save his life, stiff, not enough Football experience, etc etc etc. Those were the JI days and I was dead set against him. Sanchez too, but what do I know?

I remember this, too. "Tweener" was the word most often used. The pre-Combine guesstimate on his 40 was 4.8-ish. And, really, was there ever a second of his pro career where he looked like he ran an actual 4.6 after the Combine? So, minus whatever horse roids he was pounding to prep for the Combine, 4.8 was probably closer to the truth.

I watched that game. It wasn't one sack. He looked like a monster and I wanted him. True, one game alone shouldn't be enough to go on, but let's not act like he was a dog in college. He got big numbers. There aren't too many players walking around that are big and fast and go hard on every down. The "taking plays off" thing was something to be concerned about, but I've heard it about damn near everybody.

Here is a player that was all productiion and ran a 4.6, so I knew he'd suck: Peter Warrick. Workout warriors? Vernon Davis - a dog at the start of his career, a monster now and Patrick Willis who had plenty of production, but shot up after running a 4.38 or something at his pro day. As for DRob, I remember people alleging that looking harder at the film was why he shot up. IIRC, that is when Sapp made the butter knife with bowling shoes comment.

I hate every player that comes out of the draft, tbh. Statistical odds favor me being right more often that way.

I watched that game. It wasn't one sack. He looked like a monster and I wanted him. True, one game alone shouldn't be enough to go on, but let's not act like he was a dog in college. He got big numbers. There aren't too many players walking around that are big and fast and go hard on every down. The "taking plays off" thing was something to be concerned about, but I've heard it about damn near everybody.

Here is a player that was all productiion and ran a 4.6, so I knew he'd suck: Peter Warrick. Workout warriors? Vernon Davis - a dog at the start of his career, a monster now and Patrick Willis who had plenty of production, but shot up after running a 4.38 or something at his pro day. As for DRob, I remember people alleging that looking harder at the film was why he shot up. IIRC, that is when Sapp made the butter knife with bowling shoes comment.

23 sacks in 19 starts IIRC for Gholston...set the OSU record IIRC since I'm not fact checking a thing...I too saw that game. He ripped. and I thought he'd be good. I think there's even a thread on TGG from Spring/Summer 2007 where I called him the Jets' 2008 draft pick. THAT'S the one I called.

I watched plenty of Gholston in college. Its not like OSU doesnt get prime time games. I saw him on the big stage too. The Gators ran the ball right at him, over and over and over again. He was lost and slow. One move. Stiff. He must have shot up something amazing before that Michigan game. And lets be honest, when over half your schedule are a bunch of cream puffs, its not hard putting up numbers like that by just being that strong and playing for OSU.

I hate every player that comes out of the draft, tbh. Statistical odds favor me being right more often that way.

Kinda takes the fun out of it, no?

I watched plenty of Gholston in college. Its not like OSU doesnt get prime time games. I saw him on the big stage too. The Gators ran the ball right at him, over and over and over again. He was lost and slow. One move. Stiff. He must have shot up something amazing before that Michigan game. And lets be honest, when over half your schedule are a bunch of cream puffs, its not hard putting up numbers like that by just being that strong and playing for OSU.

That's great, you 'knew' something 32 NFL GMs didn't.

Archived