If we draft a safety in the First Round

Greenseed4

If those Pauline rumors are true, and the team really isn't interested in drafting an OL early in the draft, and we don't have the opportunity to land Melvin Ingram, or Courtney Upshaw (meh), or Trent Richardson, and Luke Keuchly is gone and so are the other 10-12 players that we've been linked to....and we're unable to trade down.

I say we draft a safety. From Alabama.

But his name is Dre Kirkpatrick.

Rex Ryan drafting a CB in the first round?! I know, it sounds crazy. But this kid can ball.

He is (6'2, 186) and has the frame to add some bulk; Runs a 4.51; he's a rangy cover guy who is extremely physical and aggressive. I think he could cover a TE, or play centerfield...EASY

Oh yeah, worst case scenario: we have this year's 2nd best CB to create a log-jam at our nickle positon.

You don't draft a CB to play safety unless you have the luxury to take a game, and we do not have that luxury. Also, creating a logjam at CB isn't a good thing when you have OL, LB, WR and S needs.

You don't draft a CB to play safety unless you have the luxury to take a game, and we do not have that luxury. Also, creating a logjam at CB isn't a good thing when you have OL, LB, WR and S needs.

In a weak safety class, on a team with incredible need for a safety...you take whoever the heck can play the position.

CBs converting to safety happens ALL of the time, and Kirkpatrick just happens to be incredibly talented.

Watch him play, and tell me he couldn't make the "transition"

Besides, I thought it...Mayock said it... so clearly it's a good idea.

dre has more upside than claiborne. he will be gone by 16. I say that about alot of players, I mean it with Dre. the cards, cowboys and eagles all need CB and they pick 13, 14, 15.

-Eagles have all that $$$ tied up into their non-tackling secondary, and might not be as eager to make a college convert. Besides they need so much help in the LBers dept. They'll probably go with the second-coming of Keuchly.

-Cowboys figure to be heavy-hitters in FA; they're currently "tied to" (well everyone, but also) Finnegan and Carr. Depending on how that shakes out, they could easily go OL in the 1st, and get their DB in the 2nd.

-Cardinals are the wildcard; I have no clue what they're looking at doing. They did draft CB last year at #5....That worked out pretty well for them, and they have Richard Marshall opposite him (he's no slouch). I just figured they were going LT because Buster Brown needs to move to the right-side.

Who knows... with all of this: Pass Rusher/Richardson/DeCastro/Glenn.. yada yada yada I wanted to add a new idea to the mix.

If Dre is there. Rex might pull the trigger.

I'll put a f*cking hole in my TV if we take a safety in the 1st round.

Aside from Barron (who is a solid prospect but nothing special IMO), this safety class is dogsh*t.

Safety is a position that should be addressed through free agency. We could get a rangy, centerfielder like Reggie Nelson or Tyvon Branch on the cheap.

Draft a CB to play safety in the first round?

How bout, no.

I'd rather take Markelle Martin in later rounds.

I just don't see Martin being the answer for us. He's not an upgrade over anybody on roster...besides, he hurt himself stretching at the Combine. hahahaa

Not as horrible an idea as some might say but he's a red flag off field and he's 188 pounds. Value at Safety is probably in the mid rounds. Imo

Red flag? how so?

The weight doesn't concern me, he can add 5-10 lbs easy with a professional workout regiment.

and aside from Antonio Allen, I just don't see much talent in this year's crop. please don't say Iloka, he's worse than Martin.

Aside from Barron (who is a solid prospect but nothing special IMO), this safety class is dogsh*t.

Safety is a position that should be addressed through free agency. We could get a rangy, centerfielder like Reggie Nelson or Tyvon Branch on the cheap.

Barron is an unknown, he might not even be ready for his proday, but yeah I'd still draft him, just not in the 1st.

Reggie Nelson would be amazing

and who doesn't like Tyvon Branch... thing is they're both expected to re-sign (or be tagged) by their current teams.

I just don't see Martin being the answer for us. He's not an upgrade over anybody on roster...besides, he hurt himself stretching at the Combine. hahahaa

Thats the problem...there are no sure thing upgrades at safety this season. zero. Why reach for one or take a CB and hope he can play safety? Doesnt make sense. Better off trying to get one in the mid rounds or FA.

Red flag? how so?

The weight doesn't concern me, he can add 5-10 lbs easy with a professional workout regiment.

Dude, he was arrested for weed THIS January as in a month ago. And I don't think you can expect any player to just add 15-20 lbs and not lose certain skills, especially a DB.

This.

But I like a couple of the mid rounds prospects like Martin too.

Thats the problem...there are no sure thing upgrades at safety this season. zero. Why reach for one or take a CB and hope he can play safety? Doesnt make sense. Better off trying to get one in the mid rounds or FA.

JiF, brother, Kirkpatrick at 16 would not be a reach, nor would it be far-fetched to see him play safety.

and I gaurantee we'll do something in FA.

Getting a developmental safety in the middle rounds just doesn't make sense for our needs; we need someone who can cover, like a CB, but tackle like a S. If not Dre, I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a different CB in the later rounds for the same purpose.. This year has a horrible class of safeties who can cover. We already have hard hitters on the roster, they're the guys four yards behind Gronkowski on crossing routes. We need something of a different sort, maybe this Kendricks fella (the linebacker) to cover TEs.

Dude, he was arrested for weed THIS January as in a month ago. And I don't think you can expect any player to just add 15-20 lbs and not lose certain skills, especially a DB.

Duuude. The weeeed wasn't hiiis, maaan.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7547626/2012-nfl-draft-prospect-dre-kirkpatrick-charge-dropped

And no, 15-20 would be extreme...that's why I said 5-10 (a very reasonable figure given his frame). He currently runs a 4.51, so even if it slowed him down a tenth of a second, he'd still be the fastest safety on our team. The guy is ranked #9 overall, guys. It's not like he's chopped liver.

Duuude. The weeeed wasn't hiiis, maaan.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7547626/2012-nfl-draft-prospect-dre-kirkpatrick-charge-dropped

And no, 15-20 would be extreme...that's why I said 5-10 (a very reasonable figure given his frame). He currently runs a 4.51, so even if it slowed him down a tenth of a second, he'd still be the fastest safety on our team. The guy is ranked #9 overall, guys. It's not like he's chopped liver.

LOL

JiF, brother, Kirkpatrick at 16 would not be a reach, nor would it be far-fetched to see him play safety.

and I gaurantee we'll do something in FA.

Getting a developmental safety in the middle rounds just doesn't make sense for our needs; we need someone who can cover, like a CB, but tackle like a S. If not Dre, I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a different CB in the later rounds for the same purpose.. This year has a horrible class of safeties who can cover. We already have hard hitters on the roster, they're the guys four yards behind Gronkowski on crossing routes. We need something of a different sort, maybe this Kendricks fella (the linebacker) to cover TEs.

So you'd prefer getting a development safety in the first round rather than the mid rounds? I'm just confused.

I would be pretty happy if the Jets ended up with George Iloka. Harrison Smith had some good workouts, but I like the film on Iloka more. He isn't the most physical safety out there, but he has great size, can run and can cover. Something we desperately need at S.

Dude was pulled over in a car w weed between his feet 3 months before the biggest day of his lige but charges were dropped so no off field issues there. Def worth a 1st round pick so they can move him out of position and expect him to play light even after he gains 10 lbs.

Not to mention the fact that the car he was riding in was riding on the wrong side of the road, and he didn't notice

Not to mention the fact that the car he was riding in was riding on the wrong side of the road, and he didn't notice

He was f*ckin high man!! You want him to hold the weed, AND watch the road?!

If anything this would make him slide in the draft...he's the #9 overall rated prospect, and we might be able to trade back into the round and snag him.

So you'd prefer getting a development safety in the first round rather than the mid rounds? I'm just confused.

if you really want a safety not named mark barron you can get someon like George Iloka from Boise State or Harrison Smith from Notre Dame.

Both can be acquired in the second round and would be less of a project

I still stand by this idea. The kid plays a physical brand of football.

Can anyone tell me that if for some Godforsaken reason Darrelle Revis was converted to safety coming out, that he'd have had trouble "developing" or would be considered a "project"? It's a far easier position to play. Ask that McCourty kid up north: you get more time to read the QB, plus nowadays we need the strong safety to cover more athletic TEs...which has been our achilles heal as of late. What if we didn't call him a "SS" or a "FS", but the "guy who covers the TE"?

Or, the "guy who plays centerfield" Just watch, read and react.

Iloka? He asked you not to tell him that.

this cracked my sh*t up. hahahaa

Just saying...Barron is a clear upgrade. If e gets a chance to work out and does well then he makes a lot of sense here.

Certainly he makes as much sense as anything but a pass rusher in the first.

Untouchable, what would make one a "special" safety prospect? How high does a special one go?

I like Barron and Iloka in the draft at safety...Iloka in the early 3rd or so...Barron in the late first...mid if he works out.

I still stand by this idea. The kid plays a physical brand of football.

Can anyone tell me that if for some Godforsaken reason Darrelle Revis was converted to safety coming out, that he'd have had trouble "developing" or would be considered a "project"? It's a far easier position to play. Ask that McCourty kid up north: you get more time to read the QB, plus nowadays we need the strong safety to cover more athletic TEs...which has been our achilles heal as of late. What if we didn't call him a "SS" or a "FS", but the "guy who covers the TE"?

Fair enough. I just would prefer not going about it that way I guess.

Just saying...Barron is a clear upgrade. If e gets a chance to work out and does well then he makes a lot of sense here.

Certainly he makes as much sense as anything but a pass rusher in the first.

True. What was I thinking, anyone is an upgrade over Smith. But I dont think Barron is worth that pick.

Fair enough. I just would prefer not going about it that way I guess.

True. What was I thinking, anyone is an upgrade over Smith. But I dont think Barron is worth that pick.

Now, you're going to trip on this one....I don't think Barron is worth that pick either, and he MIGHT make a better safety prospect to Kirkpatrick. The upside to Kirkpatrick would be his versatility, and ability to play man-cover... and if he didn't pan out, we would have a helluva CB.

If he works out and does well then he is. He'd be the teams best safety by midseason. The only advantage any of the vets would have over him is NFL experience.

As a pure player regardless of position Barron stacks with anyone that isn't elite in this draft. He's one of the few guys in this draft who you can plug and play with confidence.

If he works out and does well then he is. He'd be the teams best safety by midseason. The only advantage any of the vets would have over him is NFL experience.

As a pure player regardless of position Barron stacks with anyone that isn't elite in this draft. He's one of the few guys in this draft who you can plug and play with confidence.

I'm 100% with you. If they go Safety It's Barron or bust. I don't jump for joy with the pick but I get it and can at least see the glass half full. I don't think you can be too upset with the the pick either. He's by far the best prospect of the lot where there's the biggest need.

I'm 100% with you. If they go Safety It's Barron or bust. I don't jump for joy with the pick but I get it and can at least see the glass half full. I don't think you can be too upset with the the pick either. He's by far the best prospect of the lot where there's the biggest need.

It's not the most exciting pick but it's one that would probably end up working out really well. I can't complain about them picking a competent plug and go player, even if it is amongst the lowly safeties of the football world. Like anyone else I want to see him work out and run a 4.4 while showing explosiveness and agility, but I'd settle for an 80% workout if it's acknowledged as an 80% workout.

The guy reeks of the Patriots if the Ravens, Packers, Texans, 49ers, or Steelers don't take him first. All of those teams could use a good safety, and all can afford to spend a first on one. If the Jets can talk about WRs and RTs in the first round, then they can talk about a safety.

Archived