NYJ's first 5 picks

Lupz27

Round 1 Michael Floyd WR

Round 2 Doug Martin RB

Round 3 Jonathan Massaquoi, DE/OLB

Round 4 Janzen Jackson, S

Round 5 Vontaze Burfict ILB

Assume the Jets take care of RT via FA, or really do believe Hunter, and Ducasse are the answer, and re-sign Leohnard.

Would you guys be ok with these exact picks with our 1st 5 this draft?

all good players, but i think we will go linebacker or guard first depending on who is there. the jets are really in the position to take best available which isn't good. we need help in so many places other then cb, center, left tackle, and full back. You could throw in QB for those of you that hate Sanchez.

Want to say I like your picks, doing this is very hard but criticizing very easy. That said I’m going to take my shoot at your mock.

You are re-signing Leonhard but not Pool? Since Jimmy won’t be ready for the start of the season who plays in his place? I think the Jets are going to get a Reggie Nelson type, cheaper but experienced, not Branch, Griffin or Landry, too expensive.

You said they got a tackle so it’s not as much of a priority.

I don’t like Floyd, personally, not as a pick. If the Jets are going WR at #16 I’d rather them try and trade back, if possible. I like Alshon Jeffery at like #25-28 if possible. He didn’t run at the combine but averaged 16.6 yard per catch at South Carolina over his career. Guess the other wild card is Trent Richardson at #16 is an auto pick so you could change out you #2 pick then.

Doug Martin is good David Wilson would be better if available but I’m leaning towards Ronelle Lewis – LB from Oklahoma here. He can cover or rush the passer and I love his versatility, can play inside or outside LB.

If the Jets got another second in a trade I would look for o-line help here.

Instead of Jonathan Massaquoi at #78 I like Cam Johnson - Virginia 6’3” 268 because he has played in a 3-4 and a 4-3, had his best year 2010 50 tackles 14.5 for lose 6.5 sacks and 4 pass defense in a 3-4 alignment.

At four give me Brandon Taylor – LSU before Janzen Jackson, I mean Jackson may not even get drafted after how bad he was at the combine. 4.64 forty and 9 reps on the bench this guy is light so he should be lightning. Rumors are he has an abuse problem that’s why he got kicked out of Tennessee. Give me the guy from the SEC who played top notch competition.

I would actually like to hold off Taylor to #5 and take Robert Turbin - RB Utah State with #4. This guy is big 5’10”, 222 ran a 4.44 forty.

Burfict is a train wreck. The guy has cost himself more money than he can possible imagine. He just looks like he doesn’t want to play. I wouldn’t touch him a great talent wasted.

O-line and TE at the 2 or 3 #6 picks we’ll have.

I’ve heard from a reliable source that the Jets have lost their 7th round pick to Green Bay for Caleb Schlauderaff, but maybe we’ll get a compensatory one?

Want to say I like your picks, doing this is very hard but criticizing very easy. That said I’m going to take my shoot at your mock.

You are re-signing Leonhard but not Pool? Since Jimmy won’t be ready for the start of the season who plays in his place? I think the Jets are going to get a Reggie Nelson type, cheaper but experienced, not Branch, Griffin or Landry, too expensive.

You said they got a tackle so it’s not as much of a priority.

I don’t like Floyd, personally, not as a pick. If the Jets are going WR at #16 I’d rather them try and trade back, if possible. I like Alshon Jeffery at like #25-28 if possible. He didn’t run at the combine but averaged 16.6 yard per catch at South Carolina over his career. Guess the other wild card is Trent Richardson at #16 is an auto pick so you could change out you #2 pick then.

Doug Martin is good David Wilson would be better if available but I’m leaning towards Ronelle Lewis – LB from Oklahoma here. He can cover or rush the passer and I love his versatility, can play inside or outside LB.

If the Jets got another second in a trade I would look for o-line help here.

Instead of Jonathan Massaquoi at #78 I like Cam Johnson - Virginia 6’3” 268 because he has played in a 3-4 and a 4-3, had his best year 2010 50 tackles 14.5 for lose 6.5 sacks and 4 pass defense in a 3-4 alignment.

At four give me Brandon Taylor – LSU before Janzen Jackson, I mean Jackson may not even get drafted after how bad he was at the combine. 4.64 forty and 9 reps on the bench this guy is light so he should be lightning. Rumors are he has an abuse problem that’s why he got kicked out of Tennessee. Give me the guy from the SEC who played top notch competition.

I would actually like to hold off Taylor to #5 and take Robert Turbin - RB Utah State with #4. This guy is big 5’10”, 222 ran a 4.44 forty.

Burfict is a train wreck. The guy has cost himself more money than he can possible imagine. He just looks like he doesn’t want to play. I wouldn’t touch him a great talent wasted.

O-line and TE at the 2 or 3 #6 picks we’ll have.

I’ve heard from a reliable source that the Jets have lost their 7th round pick to Green Bay for Caleb Schlauderaff, but maybe we’ll get a compensatory one?

I have Martin in the 2nd because I feel Wilson's combine performance has moved him in to the late 1st round early 2nd, and believe there is no shot at him being available at 48, to be honest it might be a reach hoping Martin is there at 48, I'm of the opinion that Richardson is not an elite back in the AP range, so I wouldn't touch him before round 2, it's just my opinion, if I did a mock draft right now I would have him going to Cincy at 17, and I believe Wilson, Martin, and the kid from Miami will all get picked between picks 21 (if Cincy doesn't land Richardson) and pick 48. This is my opinion I'm no expert, but this stuff is fun for me, and I like to mess around with it every year.

As for Ronnelle Lewis, I have him as a 3rd rounder not a 2nd, and it was kind of a toss up with him and Massaqui with that 3rd pick, almost listed it as either, but wanted to make it just 5 specific players.

As for Janzen Jackson in the 4th my reasoning here is it's a 4th round pick at a huge need position for the Jets, and I don't believe there is 1 pro bowl FS in this draft it's so weak, that being said on the off chance Jackson straightens out he is the only FS prospect with the TALENT to achieve reaching pro bowl status (his freshmen year at Tennessee he looked as good as Berry on the field starting 9 games). I put the % of this happening very low, but in the 4th I think it's worth the gamble. All this was was also based on the Jets signing a serviceable veteran FS like you listed on the cheap I didn't have names so I didn't bother posting it. Also I don't touch a S earlier then round 4 this year strictly based on the 2013 S class it will be the best S class in a long time, if Barron came out next year he would be lucky to sniff the top 5 available players at S in that draft.

As for Floyd in the 1st over other WR's, first Jeffrey IMO will drop out of the 1st round, and I don't like his make up, great size, average speed, bad separation ability IMO. Also Stephen Hill would get a long look for me in the next 7 weeks to see if I would take him at 16 over every other WR not named Blackmon. Come draft day I think the order of the WR's coming off the board will be Blackmon, Wright, Floyd, Hill, all in the 1st round Blackmon to Rams at 4 (after a trade with Cleveland), Wright to Jacksonville at 7, or 8 I forget where they pick, Floyd to Eagles at 15, if they let DeJack leave, or 16 to Jets if no big WR signings in FA if Philly passes, and Hill to the Jets at 16 possibly if Floyd is off, and no other players at the top of their board is available (in this situation I am actually projecting a trade back with a team who wants to jump in front of Cincy to land Richardson, I project him to be available at 16, also a small possibility Cincy swaps #21 for #16 plus a 2nd or 3rd if they really covet Richardson and fear the Jets will trade out to someone else who wants him, Jets have to stay in front of Houston to draft Hill cause in this scenario he would be the top WR on the board, and that's what Houston wants in the 1st, I don't know who they would reach for if Blackmon, Wright, Floyd, and Hill were gone when they picked, I guess that would give Jeffrey his only chance at going in the 1st).

As for Burfict, I really don't like him at all I really just put him in at 5 because 1 that's right around where he will come off IMO, 2 if anyone can find a way to focus his craziness into positive production it's Rex, and in the 5th it's worth the risk reward IF Rex envisions him having a possible fit in his hybrid D.

So in conclusion in the 1st we have a disagreement on the better WR talent, in the 2nd you prefer a RB I don't believe will be available, and you kind of say that by stating you want Ronnelle Lewis, who I like also just think we could grab him in the 3rd, difference of draft stock here, and I believe Martin is 1 of about 3 RB's who can be productive on all 3 downs, and I project the other 2 to be off the board by the time the Jets pick at 48 (Wilson, and the Miami kid as the other 2). 4th, and 5th round you don't like the HIGH risk possible high reward picks, very understandable.

Quick side note if Dre Kirkpatrick, and/or Janoris Jenkins are on the board at 16 someone is gonna have to hog tie Ryan to make sure he doesn't run the card up himself against the wishes of the rest of the organization (JK, but not really lol).

Quick side note if Dre Kirkpatrick, and/or Janoris Jenkins are on the board at 16 someone is gonna have to hog tie Ryan to make sure he doesn't run the card up himself against the wishes of the rest of the organization (JK, but not really lol).

I agree with your last statement. Ashlon Jeffery - 3 years 183 receptions 3042 yards with 16.6 yard per catch average in the SEC. I know he didn't run at the combine but there is enough film on him and he'll run on his pro day. Jeffery can start day one 6'3' 216 pounds good route runner played in a pro system under Steve Spurrier. He may not be a burner but can be a possession receiver we need to move the chains.

Stephen Hill only caught 49 balls in the three years at GT but a big average 25.5. Wonder if that is a little Tebow affect cause GT runs a lot opens up deep passes. Hill is a great prospect but not polished enough to be a possession receiver right now. Remember David Clowney ran a 4.3 forty but never did anything else.

I would like to see the Jets trade back say to #28 then they can get Green Bay’s second #60 I'd like to take Lewis there actually and use #47 for something else.

You’re so right about safety this year’s they suck even Barron is not a good cover guy. Next year they'll be a better selection. Look the Jets were 5th in defense with E Smith and J Leonhard so if they improve their LB's and get some more pressure safety won't matter anyway. I'm not reaching for a safety if Taylor is there in the 5th I'd take him but you can get Jackson in the 6th or 7th easy, I’m not picking him at #108. He was a top prospect at one time but just look at Burfict guys can drop like stones.

Running back is always tricky GM’s hate taking them early. My guess is I’d be surprised if Miller, Wilson or Martin go in the first, but your right Cincy would be the most likely at #22 to grab one. Gm’s all try and outsmart themselves once the first is over the fire sale begins.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not totally on board with the idea of Richardson in the first...(I'm a huge Doug Martin fan for this year, Montee Ball, next year) that being said

According to this mock, we would have the ability to have the following draft

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

1. Trent Richardson, RB

2. Vinny Curry, OLB

3. Antonio Allen, S

4. Dwight Jones, WR

Now, they have us pegged for Weeden in the second, with Curry still available. We all know that is ludicrous. And if we get a comp pick in the third, we can nab the OT, James Brown from Troy that we were linked to.

Round 1 Michael Floyd WR

Round 2 Doug Martin RB

Assume the Jets take care of RT via FA, or really do believe Hunter, and Ducasse are the answer, and re-sign Leohnard.

Massaquoi is such a weird unknown to me. Total wait and see but no warm fuzzies. I can dig the rest for sure though.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not totally on board with the idea of Richardson in the first...(I'm a huge Doug Martin fan for this year, Montee Ball, next year) that being said

http://walterfootbal...m/draft2012.php

1. Trent Richardson, RB

2. Vinny Curry, OLB

3. Antonio Allen, S

4. Dwight Jones, WR

Now, they have us pegged for Weeden in the second, with Curry still available. We all know that is ludicrous. And if we get a comp pick in the third, we can nab the OT, James Brown from Troy that we were linked to.

I actually sent an email to Walter saying there is now way the Jets are drafting Weeden at #47. It's potentially a make or break season for Rex and Tanny there not using a pick on a guy who will do nothing this year, when they have so many holes to fill.

Let me say for the record sorry but I hate the picks you have up, I know there not yours. Richardson is a nice back but how has DMC worked out for Oakland, he went at #4 and can't stay on the field. I hate taking RB in the first I mean you have to draft one almost every year anyway. The Jets have drafted 4 RB's in the last 3 years and they'll get another one this year somewhere. I'm actually hoping Richardson is off the board so we don't have to worry about it.

I don't know if you saw the combine but Curry does not look like a 3-4 LB. He would be better in a 4-3 or mostly 4-3 and once in awhile standing up. I've totally lost interest in him. He's a good player but not for the Jets.

I'm not taking a safety before the fifth round. They really suck this year and Antonio Allen looked very average at the combine. Brandon Taylor is a guy I like out of LSU but I'm not reaching to fill a void when there are better players available.

Dwight Jones is a mess, can't catch a cold, runs crap routes, I’d rather have Burfict then him and he’s a head case.

I actually sent an email to Walter saying there is now way the Jets are drafting Weeden at #47. It's potentially a make or break season for Rex and Tanny there not using a pick on a guy who will do nothing this year, when they have so many holes to fill.

Let me say for the record sorry but I hate the picks you have up, I know there no yours. Richardson is a nice back but how has DMC worked out for Oakland, he went at #4 and can't stay on the field. I hate taking RB in the first I mean you have to draft one almost every year anyway. The Jets have drafted 4 RB's in the last 3 years and they'll get another one this year somewhere. I'm actually hoping Richardson is off the board so we don't have to worry about it.

I don't know if you saw the combine but Curry does not look like a 3-4 LB. He would be better in a 4-3 or mostly 4-3 and once in awhile standing up. I've totally lost interest in him. He's a good player but not for the Jets.

I'm not taking a safety before the fifth round. They really suck this year and Antonio Allen looked very average at the combine. Brandon Taylor is a guy I like out of LSU but I'm not reaching to fill a void when there are better players available.

Dwight Jones is a mess, can't catch a cold, runs crap routes, I’d rather have Burfict then him and he’s a head case.

Where are the Jets getting a Third Comp?

http://walterfootbal...m/draft2012.php

1. Trent Richardson, RB

2. Vinny Curry, OLB

3. Antonio Allen, S

4. Dwight Jones, WR

Sorry wanted to say. I don't think the Jets are getting a third comp pick? Who would they get that for?

I agree with your last statement. Ashlon Jeffery - 3 years 183 receptions 3042 yards with 16.6 yard per catch average in the SEC. I know he didn't run at the combine but there is enough film on him and he'll run on his pro day. Jeffery can start day one 6'3' 216 pounds good route runner played in a pro system under Steve Spurrier. He may not be a burner but can be a possession receiver we need to move the chains.

Stephen Hill only caught 49 balls in the three years at GT but a big average 25.5. Wonder if that is a little Tebow affect cause GT runs a lot opens up deep passes. Hill is a great prospect but not polished enough to be a possession receiver right now. Remember David Clowney ran a 4.3 forty but never did anything else.

I would like to see the Jets trade back say to #28 then they can get Green Bay’s second #60 I'd like to take Lewis there actually and use #47 for something else.

You’re so right about safety this year’s they suck even Barron is not a good cover guy. Next year they'll be a better selection. Look the Jets were 5th in defense with E Smith and J Leonhard so if they improve their LB's and get some more pressure safety won't matter anyway. I'm not reaching for a safety if Taylor is there in the 5th I'd take him but you can get Jackson in the 6th or 7th easy, I’m not picking him at #108. He was a top prospect at one time but just look at Burfict guys can drop like stones.

Running back is always tricky GM’s hate taking them early. My guess is I’d be surprised if Miller, Wilson or Martin go in the first, but your right Cincy would be the most likely at #22 to grab one. Gm’s all try and outsmart themselves once the first is over the fire sale begins.

Michael Floyd 6'3" 220lbs ran a 4.4 at the combine, and 14 fir 14 in the gauntlet.

4 year starter

Tot. Gamed 43 games started 42 receptions 271 yards 3,686 AVG 14.4 TD's 37

Biggest difference between the 2 is Floyd was a stud in 2011, where Jeffrey was a dud, and has a lot of football related question marks IE commitment, and dedication, where as Floyd has some off field issues, but no questions football wise.

If it's me I take Floyd every time, everyone has their preference, if the draft was held tomorrow Floyd at 16 would be praised, where as Jeffrey would be questioned, I know you say trade back and get Jeffrey, but 2 problems 1 if your behind Houston he is most likely gone, and if both him, and Hill are there I take Hill every time, but that's me, 6'5 4.3 40, and great at going up and getting it, needs route running work, but who doesn't coming out of college, also he can get by with his athletic ability, and ball skill ability for a season or 2 while improving his route running.

Jeffrey has some good qualities, but for ME, I like Hill Floyd and Wright better. Again everyone is different.

Sorry wanted to say. I don't think the Jets are getting a third comp pick? Who would they get that for?

Meh, scratch that. I thought it was a 3rd, I was wrong.

Here's a site that makes predictions on comp picks, he's usually pretty accurate. The award is based on the # of FAs going out versus the # coming in, and has to do with their contracts. According to him we'll get 4 comp picks.

2 sixes, and 2 sevens. woo-hoo.

6th--Shaun Ellis

6th--Brad Smith

7th--Drew Coleman

7th--Braylon Edwards

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/1/6/2686334/2012-compensatory-draft-pick-predictions

Antonio Allen looked very average at the combine.

I saw him run one forty...and specifically looked for him on the field; didn't see him. Are you talking about his jumps?

-------------------------------

Also, I'm on board with you on not drafting TR in the first...Much bigger fan of Doug Martin. But only because that means we can draft for another position in the first.

Round 1 Michael Floyd WR

Round 2 Doug Martin RB

I'd have two issues with this draft: One is that you're taking three players with character concerns (Floyd, Burfict, Janzen) and adding them to a team that should be looking to move out players with character concerns. The second issue is that Tannenbaum and Bradway have had only spotty success drafting at the skill positions and you're asking them to use the first two picks on skill guys. Scary.

I saw him run one forty...and specifically looked for him on the field; didn't see him. Are you talking about his jumps?

-------------------------------

Also, I'm on board with you on not drafting TR in the first...Much bigger fan of Doug Martin. But only because that means we can draft for another position in the first.

I think that the Jets get a 6 for Lowery trade and comp 6 for Ellis so that will give them 3 sixth round picks.

Probable getting a 7th comp for Brad Smith.

Maybes: Coleman, Inhedibo, Edwards, but he had a bad year.

I’ve heard from a reliable source that the Jets have lost their 7th round pick to Green Bay for Caleb Schlauderaff.

As far as Allen or any other safety the point is they are all very average. Iloka, I think, would be a terrible pick but lots of people love him. There are so many other players I would take over any safety at #78, I just can’t do it.

Sign a stop gap FA like Reggie Nelson, bring back Pool and Eric Smith, at a discount. Get one of the guys in the draft late like 5 or 6 maybe 4 if he is worth it. You have Tracy Wilson also.

Everyone talks about this major up-grade at safety but you can’t afford to pay a big-time FA and are you drafting Barron at #16? The Jets should look to strengthen their ILB and OLB with more athletic types, hopefully they can help in coverage or get pressure.

Michael Floyd 6'3" 220lbs ran a 4.4 at the combine, and 14 fir 14 in the gauntlet.

4 year starter

Tot. Gamed 43 games started 42 receptions 271 yards 3,686 AVG 14.4 TD's 37

Biggest difference between the 2 is Floyd was a stud in 2011, where Jeffrey was a dud, and has a lot of football related question marks IE commitment, and dedication, where as Floyd has some off field issues, but no questions football wise.

If it's me I take Floyd every time, everyone has their preference, if the draft was held tomorrow Floyd at 16 would be praised, where as Jeffrey would be questioned, I know you say trade back and get Jeffrey, but 2 problems 1 if your behind Houston he is most likely gone, and if both him, and Hill are there I take Hill every time, but that's me, 6'5 4.3 40, and great at going up and getting it, needs route running work, but who doesn't coming out of college, also he can get by with his athletic ability, and ball skill ability for a season or 2 while improving his route running.

Jeffrey has some good qualities, but for ME, I like Hill Floyd and Wright better. Again everyone is different.

I hear you about Floyd, guess if Jeffery ran the forty we could compare. In his defense Stephen Garcia was a mess last year, got kicked off the team, that hurt Jeffery. In 2010 against Alabama’s Dre Kirkpatrick and Mark Barron, two DBs going high in the draft, Jeffery had 7-127 and 2 TDs'.

Just feel like ND plays lots of Western Michigan type teams so that will help Floyd's numbers some. He was impressive at the combine, can catch has nice size and speed. I don't think Hill is worth it at #16 because of his bust probability is up and Wright is too small, think the team needs that bigger possession receiver like Floyd or Jeffery.

Sanchez needs to improve his completion percentage so a big reliable target is in order. More completions=more first downs=better field position=more time of possession=less three and outs and you defense is back on the field before they can even sit down. It’s about moving the chains.

I hear you about Floyd, guess if Jeffery ran the forty we could compare. In his defense Stephen Garcia was a mess last year, got kicked off the team, that hurt Jeffery. In 2010 against Alabama’s Dre Kirkpatrick and Mark Barron, two DBs going high in the draft, Jeffery had 7-127 and 2 TDs'.

Just feel like ND plays lots of Western Michigan type teams so that will help Floyd's numbers some. He was impressive at the combine, can catch has nice size and speed. I don't think Hill is worth it at #16 because of his bust probability is up and Wright is too small, think the team needs that bigger possession receiver like Floyd or Jeffery.

Sanchez needs to improve his completion percentage so a big reliable target is in order. More completions=more first downs=better field position=more time of possession=less three and outs and you defense is back on the field before they can even sit down. It’s about moving the chains.

See I'm in the thinking of deep threat, quick scores if we draft a WR, I'm so sick of the mentality on offense to get to 3rd and manageable, it's time to catch up with the rest of the elite teams in the league, that being score points, and score often, you can still have G&P mentality, by using it to run out the clock with big leads.

That's why I prefer a big play waiting to happen WR if we draft one in the 1st. We don't know Jeffrey's 40, but your calling him a possession WR, where as I want a deep threat WR, and I believe Floyd can give you both, Wright can give you deep threat (his 40 was not good, but of you watch the tape he plays fast in pads) and granted Hill could be boom or bust, but if it turned out to be boom your talking about an elite WR now with that size and speed, I think there is still a lot of home work to be done on scouting him between now, and the draft, but someone will fall in love with him, and draft him in the 1st, it just takes 1.

Round 1 Michael Floyd WR

Round 2 Doug Martin RB

If you want a RB and WR like I do in the first 2 rounds would you consider Rainey and Hill ? Hill with both 4.3 speed and size 6-4 has ther potential to be a beast. Didnt Floyd have a dissapointing 40 ? like 4.6 ? More of a posession type guy ?

We need to draft Mark Barron in the first round. I am beyond sick of watching the Patriots carve us up and down the field with their TE's because we have no Safety on the roster who can cover anybody. If people really don't think that our Safeties are weakest link on the defense, I don't know what to tell you. Mark Barron was captain of the best college defense in probably 10 years, he played in a pro style, 3-4 based, defense under elite coaching. He is by far the best Safety in this draft class. Most draftniks have him as a mid-first round grade. We need to take him at #16.

We need to draft Mark Barron in the first round. I am beyond sick of watching the Patriots carve us up and down the field with their TE's because we have no Safety on the roster who can cover anybody. If people really don't think that our Safeties are weakest link on the defense, I don't know what to tell you. Mark Barron was captain of the best college defense in probably 10 years, he played in a pro style, 3-4 based, defense under elite coaching. He is by far the best Safety in this draft class. Most draftniks have him as a mid-first round grade. We need to take him at #16.

Not worth it at 16. Pass.

Carl, you're crazy.

But you're right on this--if our goal is to draft Mark Barron in the first round (an idea I am warming to); It needs to be somewhere in the 20's.

Unless some tertiary QB sneaks into the top-15 and pushes some other picks down, it's looking like the elite pass rushers are going to be gone by 16. I secretly hope Richardson or Rieff falls to 16 just so we can auction the pick and move down to get our first guy.

on edit: And Courtney Upshaw does NOT constitute an "elite" pass rusher. He'll probably get drafted by US, to play Bart's role. *shudder*

Round 1 Michael Floyd WR

Round 2 Doug Martin RB

I like these picks except Floyd at 1.We need a safety in a bad way.

Archived