2012 Salary Cap to increase?

MTJ06

Mike Wallace - WR - Steelers A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk.com the league and NFLPA are "scrambling" to increase the 2012 salary cap.

Provisions in the new CBA have left teams with less cap space than they were anticipating, prompting the NFLPA to seek to "re-do the numbers." The league has apparently shown a "certain amount of willingness" to cooperate with the effort because it "doesn’t want the players to think they got a bad deal." A resolution is expected within the next 10 days.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

Source: League, union “scrambling” to push up 2012 cap number

Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2012, 11:16 AM EST

Getty Images

So why don’t teams know, only 10 days away from the launch of a new league year, the 2012 salary cap?

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the league and the NFLPA currently are “scrambling” to increase the tentative number.

The problem arises from two realities. Under the new CBA, players receive a finite number (47 percent of specifically defined revenues) to cover both salaries and benefits. But the costs of the benefits have increased, driving more of the allocation away from salaries.

And so, for roughly a week, the NFLPA has been trying to re-do the numbers in order to trim back the benefit costs and in turn drive up the salary cap.

It’s not the first smoke-and-mirrors exercise under the new CBA. The absence of a performance-based pay system in 2011 directly resulted in a higher salary cap for 2011. This year, the return of the performance-based pay system (at $3.46 million per team) takes money away from the cap.

While the union currently is trying to find a solution, it’s a shared problem. The league doesn’t want the players to think they got a bad deal in 2011, and so the league has a certain amount of willingness to cooperate with the effort. Moreover, the teams (most of them, at least) want to drive up the cap number in order to have more money to spend.

Regardless, the number will come out at some point within the next 10 days. The longer it takes, the more likely it will be that, in the end, this problem has no acceptable solution.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/03/source-league-union-scrambling-to-push-up-2012-cap-number/

The Jets need to get their financial house in order whether the cap goes up or not. Since no one seems to believe, but me, that Sanchez, assuming he's the QB, will renegotiate his contract nor any other player but Eric Smith and accept a lower salary; how does the team create the $17-$20m in cap space they need? They do like what D'Brick did, they push money forward into future caps.

It will cost the team about $13m to resign former Jets FA and the draft class so say you have $4-$7m left for the rest. People want big time player like Michael Griffin, say he cost $5m per year. You have just used up almost all your money. Guess McElroy is your backup OB.

The problem is 2013 you only have 29 players on your roster as of now, if you cut Hunter, Scott, Pace, and remove Smith you save $22.65m, but now you only have 25 players on your roster. If you sign a high priced player like Griffin he'll be #26 at $5m, Pouha #27 at $3m you've pushed $6-7M into 2013 to make room in 2012. Your 2013 cap is now $104m and you only have 27 players. The guys you draft in 2012 who make the team will likely be signed in 2013. Say 7 guys you draft make it and cost $4M could be more but I'm being generous. Now you have 34 players at $108m. You'll draft in 2013 say 6 guys at $5M now you have 40 players at $113M. Just say the 2013 cap is like $130m you have $17m to add 13 players so fine correct?

No, because every team has the same thing. Salaries will reflect the cap increase and minimums constantly go up. The teams will offer bigger contracts to free agents because they now have more room as well. The cost of getting players will increase so you’re still playing catch up. It will take more to resign your own FA or get others.

Here’s an example of a team in good financial shape. The Patriots will be about $35m under the cap this year no matter what happens, so if it goes up add that money on. They also have 2 #1 and 2 #2 picks in the draft. The fact is they can resign their own FA and others, be aggressive in the draft or sit tight. Lots of Jets fans want Mario Williams but he’s looking at a 5 year $100m with $50m guaranteed contract. I don’t care what he says this is the money he’ll want and most likely get.

The Pats could afford this. A $15m signing bonus pay him $14m year one, $14m year two and $11m year three. They would be able to cut him in year four or have leverage to renegotiate. Because they can handle a $17m cap hit on him in 2012 and the cap will go up in following years they will have the ability to continue to add players in the draft and FA.

This is why the Patriots scare me they are in position to do whatever they want over the next three years and they win 13 games and make the Super Bowl with the worst defense anyway. Don’t tell me they won’t pay Williams they singed Adulis Thomas in 2007 when he was considered the best FA pass rusher.

The Jets will be playing catch up for a few year compared to other teams. The days of grabbing the big time FA is over for now. So while an increase helps it’s all relative to the other teams. The Jets are in the 100 yard dash only they start at 105 while others are at 80.

The Jets need to get their financial house in order whether the cap goes up or not. Since no one seems to believe, but me, that Sanchez, assuming he's the QB, will renegotiate his contract nor any other player but Eric Smith and accept a lower salary; how does the team create the $17-$20m in cap space they need? They do like what D'Brick did, they push money forward into future caps.

It will cost the team about $13m to resign former Jets FA and the draft class so say you have $4-$7m left for the rest. People want big time player like Michael Griffin, say he cost $5m per year. You have just used up almost all your money. Guess McElroy is your backup OB.

The problem is 2013 you only have 29 players on your roster as of now, if you cut Hunter, Scott, Pace, and remove Smith you save $22.65m, but now you only have 25 players on your roster. If you sign a high priced player like Griffin he'll be #26 at $5m, Pouha #27 at $3m you've pushed $6-7M into 2013 to make room in 2012. Your 2013 cap is now $104m and you only have 27 players. The guys you draft in 2012 who make the team will likely be signed in 2013. Say 7 guys you draft make it and cost $4M could be more but I'm being generous. Now you have 34 players at $108m. You'll draft in 2013 say 6 guys at $5M now you have 40 players at $113M. Just say the 2013 cap is like $130m you have $17m to add 13 players so fine correct?

No, because every team has the same thing. Salaries will reflect the cap increase and minimums constantly go up. The teams will offer bigger contracts to free agents because they now have more room as well. The cost of getting players will increase so you’re still playing catch up. It will take more to resign your own FA or get others.

Here’s an example of a team in good financial shape. The Patriots will be about $35m under the cap this year no matter what happens, so if it goes up add that money on. They also have 2 #1 and 2 #2 picks in the draft. The fact is they can resign their own FA and others, be aggressive in the draft or sit tight. Lots of Jets fans want Mario Williams but he’s looking at a 5 year $100m with $50m guaranteed contract. I don’t care what he says this is the money he’ll want and most likely get.

The Pats could afford this. A $15m signing bonus pay him $14m year one, $14m year two and $11m year three. They would be able to cut him in year four or have leverage to renegotiate. Because they can handle a $17m cap hit on him in 2012 and the cap will go up in following years they will have the ability to continue to add players in the draft and FA.

This is why the Patriots scare me they are in position to do whatever they want over the next three years and they win 13 games and make the Super Bowl with the worst defense anyway. Don’t tell me they won’t pay Williams they singed Adulis Thomas in 2007 when he was considered the best FA pass rusher.

The Jets will be playing catch up for a few year compared to other teams. The days of grabbing the big time FA is over for now. So while an increase helps it’s all relative to the other teams. The Jets are in the 100 yard dash only they start at 105 while others are at 80.

You seem to do a great deal of number crunching and research, but you keep talking about cutting Hunter. I'm pretty sure that Hunter's 2012 salary is guaranteed and cutting him will save nothing. Did I miss something and that report was erroneous or did you?

You seem to do a great deal of number crunching and research, but you keep talking about cutting Hunter. I'm pretty sure that Hunter's 2012 salary is guaranteed and cutting him will save nothing. Did I miss something and that report was erroneous or did you?

I'm saying in 2013, that paragraph with Hunter is about that year, his $4m salary is not guaranteed, he can't be cut in 2012 and get any savings. The problem is 2013 the numbers are going to be tight again even if the cap goes up to $130m.

The point is the team will have to chip away over the next few years to get in line with most other teams. The Steelers and Raiders are in bad shape but the Bills and Pats are in very good shape.

I'm saying in 2013, that paragraph with Hunter is about that year, his $4m salary is not guaranteed, he can't be cut in 2012 and get any savings. The problem is 2013 the numbers are going to be tight again even if the cap goes up to $130m.

The point is the team will have to chip away over the next few years to get in line with most other teams. The Steelers and Raiders are in bad shape but the Bills and Pats are in very good shape.

Oh. Okay. He will be cut. He'd have to have an insane turnaround to stick. That is a reason that's a reason I am against moving too much money to future years.

Source: League, union “scrambling” to push up 2012 cap number

Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2012, 11:16 AM EST

. The longer it takes, the more likely it will be that, in the end, this problem has no acceptable solution.

http://profootballta...012-cap-number/

If anyone is willing to trade with Florio, he needs a definitive ending statement. He has plenty of commas to offer in return. He just bought a gross at Costco.

Oh. Okay. He will be cut. He'd have to have an insane turnaround to stick. That is a reason that's a reason I am against moving too much money to future years.

I hear what you are saying about moving money.

Most of the Jets big money contracts are such the team has no leverage to ask for a pay cut. If you cut Holmes or Cromartie you increase the salary cap by like $20m and you now need to replace these players. Obviously you can't force them to take a lower salary. So the Jets will have to use the 'D'Brick maneuver' on many contracts to save. Players usually don't mind prorating money, like D’Brick did, because they still get paid and it protects the back end of their contract. If D'Brick hadn't made this move the Jets may have looked at his 2014 salary for possible restructure but now they can't cause the team can't possible cut him in 2014/15, thus the team has lost its leverage.

Eric Smith doesn't have a leg to stand on so he's either going to renegotiate or be cut either way the Jets save about $1.5m on 2012 cap, you can reduce 2013 by $3m, Smith's 2013 salary, cause the Jets are only going to sign him for one year or cut him anyway. This is actual savings, the team cut the payroll didn't just move money around. This is what the team wants to try and achieve.

There are only two other big dollar contracts, besides Smith’s, that the Jets could get actual pay reductions, Sanchez or DeVito. I can’t tell you how important it will be to the financial health of the team if they can renegotiate these contracts and save $3-4 million.

Whenever I mention these players taking a pay cut people rip me apart saying why would they take a pay reduction? Players take pay cuts all the time in the NFL but for some reason Jets fans think it never happens with their team? Well in DeVito’s case they could cut him draft a DE/DT at #47 who’ll make $1m in 2012 instead of the $3.1m DeVito is scheduled to make, saving $2.1 million. If DeVito believes the team will actually cut him he may agree to take a reduced salary. Say he lowers his salary to $2.1m, a million decrease, the Jets in return will fully guarantee this money, currently the money is not guaranteed, in exchange for the reduction.

People don’t seem to understand that with a fully guaranteed contract the player makes X amount no matter what. There is a very realistic chance that DeVito would not make the $3.1 currently in his contract. What if his knee swells up in training camp and some young up start is in his spot doing a fantastic job. The Jets decide to cut DeVito before the season, he gets little of the old $3.1m contract but would get all the $2.1m in the renegotiated contract, even if cut before the season.

The same would apply for Sanchez a fully guaranteed 2012 contract even at a lower salary could mean more then under his current terms. The team has to give to get and players like the security of guaranteed money.

You are so right when you talk about pushing money so if the Jets can get actual savings from players it would be very helpful. The more reductions the less they have to push.

If anyone is willing to trade with Florio, he needs a definitive ending statement. He has plenty of commas to offer in return. He just bought a gross at Costco.

People love those commas. I, try, and, keep, them, out, but, they, always, fine, a,, way,,, in.

denden29 is quickly becomming one of my favorite posters. Good job!

I hate to break this to you but a source told me DenDen is a homophobic racist who is a leading gay member of the Jews for Jesus Skinheads. He is also a liberal who votes conservative just for fun. He hates animals, children and all women under 6'3". Interests include hugging trees, clubbing seals and wearing speedos at the town pool. A source told me. I'm just passing it along. Glad you dig him though. You and Max, that is. As for me, I'm wary of anyone who wears Speedos.

JK. I love anything spandex-based.

I hate to break this to you but a source told me DenDen is a homophobic racist who is a leading gay member of the Jews for Jesus Skinheads. He is also a liberal who votes conservative just for fun. He hates animals, children and all women under 6'3". Interests include hugging trees, clubbing seals and wearing speedos at the town pool. A source told me. I'm just passing it along. Glad you dig him though. You and Max, that is. As for me, I'm wary of anyone who wears Speedos.

JK. I love anything spandex-based.

If you got the goods to wear a Speedo go for it. Oh, and thanks for all the compliments. :winking0001:

Archived