Sanchez Cap Ramifications?

Look I am not trying to put the cart before the horse, but if we somehow were able to sign Manning, I think it is clear that the Sanchez era would be over. My question is what would be the cap ramification if cut or trade Sanchez? Do we free up a lot of money? Is there a large amount of dead cap? Can we even trade the kid?

One of my favorite lines. Use it all the time. I have no clue about the cap but I think I've read we free 6-7 mil or something like that.

One of my favorite lines. Use it all the time. I have no clue about the cap but I think I've read we free 6-7 mil or something like that.

You should learn to adapt the line: I'm no expert but...

It works better than I have no clue. :)

Wow so between D'Brick's renegotiation and a Sanchez release the Jets can already make a solid offer to Manning. Basically, if he wants us he will be here. If not, then we get look stupid saying we wanted Mark all along...

Sione Pouha will sign hopefully soon, assuming a $4 million salary in 2012, and Maybin’s first round tender is $1.26 million counts on the cap. These moves will count about $4.5 million on the cap.

You also have some other potential cost: Pool, Leonhard, Thomas and Turner could run a little under $1 million on the cap to resign as long as they accept a minimum salary.

Restricted free agents Cole and Westerman could count as high as $1.5 million on the cap, depends upon their tender, if there is one.

I think it will cost about $5-$5.5 million on the cap to resign the former Jets the team wants but could be higher or lower depending upon who they want and how they go about it. The more former players they sign the less they will need FA from other teams.

So you have about $7.7 million in space now if you cut Sanchez it grows to $16.9 million then take off the FA you sign leaves about $12 million for other needs. Of course Tannenbaum has more moves to make that will create cap space but that’s kind of where you’ll be after signing former Jets FA.

From what I just heard if Sanchez is gone the numbers are : he would only count 5 mil towards this years cap and the Jets would gain 9 million so if he stays he counts 14 mil towards the Jets cap this year

$8.5 million comes off 2013 with no dead money so cutting Sanchez saves almost $18 million over two years. The Jets could use this money for Manning. So even if Manning cost $28 million over 2012/13 it would be an increase of $10 million.

$10 million is a lot but some idiot like Daniel Snyder is going to offer Manning like $15 million a year guaranteed for 12/13, so the Jets will have to be in that ball park to get Manning. While it would be tough I think the team could work the $10 million increase and still field a descent team.

$8.5 million comes off 2013 with no dead money so cutting Sanchez saves almost $18 million over two years. The Jets could use this money for Manning. So even if Manning cost $28 million over 2012/13 it would be an increase of $10 million.

$10 million is a lot but some idiot like Daniel Snyder is going to offer Manning like $15 million a year guaranteed for 12/13, so the Jets will have to be in that ball park to get Manning. While it would be tough I think the team could work the $10 million increase and still field a descent team.

Don't forget the cap is going to increase significantly in 2013 in wake of the new tv contracts, this will come into play with Manning for all teams. Low 2012 cap hit with significant 2013 cap hit all guaranteed is going to be the contract he signs IMO.

Archived