Cimini: Peyton Wants New Home in a Week

flgreen

Peyton wants new home in a week

March, 8, 2012

Mar 8

11:16

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

It doesn't appear that newly-minted free agent Peyton Manning will drag out his decision. Manning hopes to make a choice within the next week, ESPN Insider Adam Schefter is reporting.

The timetable is important to a team like the Jets, one of 12 teams to contact Manning's representatives, according to Schefter's report. The reason is because free agency begins at 4 p.m. Tuesday, and the Jets would like to have clarity by then because they will be shopping for a quarterback in the free-agent market.

Assuming they don't get Manning, the Jets would like to acquire a No. 2 quarterback and they have interest in former Dolphins starter Chad Henne, sources said. They also could consider Jason Campbell (Raiders), although that seems less likely at this point.

Despite an up-and-down career, Henne will draw interest from teams not in the Manning sweepstakes and it would put the Jets at a disadvantage if they're waiting on a decision from Manning. Actually, they'd be paralyzed in terms of their overall free-agent plan, as would every other team chasing after Peyton, who will command a blockbuster contract.

The Jets have $8.3 million in salary-cap room, with holes to fill at safety, outside linebacker, wide receiver and, possibly, inside linebacker.

Manning prefers to sign with an AFC team, although he hasn't ruled out the NFC, per Schefter's report. (The reason, of course, is that he'd like to avoid direct competition with his brother, Eli.) The four AFC teams in the hunt, all of whom have contact Manning's reps, are the Jets, Dolphins, Broncos and Chiefs. The NFC teams are the Redskins, Cards and Seahawks.

Of course he does. He wants to get his money before he has to show that he can throw. I can't imagine what team would sign him to a mega deal with out seeing him throw.

Man I hope it's not the Jets really rolling the dice.

One of the major needs Cimini forgot in his article is NT. That is going to be expensive. Pouha's last payday

I'll believe it when I see it, specifically for the reason cited above. You'd think teams would want to work him out, see how sore he is the next day, and also find out what his price tag looks like after those workouts. From Manning's perspective, wouldn't he want to let teams climb over each other in a bidding war? I don't know if that takes a week. Schefter's reasoning is that Peyton will want his new team to be able to plan for free agency, which is understandable, but I can't imagine the teams that are serious about him blowing so much cap space on a weak free agent class that it would preclude signing Manning. Unless he's serious about Miami and he's afraid Miami will run out and sign Flynn, I can't see it being too big an issue.

If Manning goes to the Dolphins, that means Reggie Wayne will follow. Then that means the Jets would be fighting for 3rd place with the Bills.

It's either you get Manning and get rid of that horrible QB we currently have or we're not going to win sh*t for the next 5-7 years, again.

I'll believe it when I see it, specifically for the reason cited above. You'd think teams would want to work him out, see how sore he is the next day, and also find out what his price tag looks like after those workouts. From Manning's perspective, wouldn't he want to let teams climb over each other in a bidding war? I don't know if that takes a week. Schefter's reasoning is that Peyton will want his new team to be able to plan for free agency, which is understandable, but I can't imagine the teams that are serious about him blowing so much cap space on a weak free agent class that it would preclude signing Manning. Unless he's serious about Miami and he's afraid Miami will run out and sign Flynn, I can't see it being too big an issue.

This might come across as a conspiracy theory, but here is my thoughts on him deciding quickly.

IMO both the NFL, and NFLPA want him signed to a team ASAP, why you ask? Because they both probably feel FA period will be delayed, and frozen until he signs, and both are bad for both sides. I can see them both relaying this to the Manning camp. Not to mention Peyton seems like the kind of person who likes stability, and this is a very unstable situation, and will continue to be one until he signs.

If Manning goes to the Dolphins, that means Reggie Wayne will follow. Then that means the Jets would be fighting for 3rd place with the Bills.

It's either you get Manning and get rid of that horrible QB we currently have or we're not going to win sh*t for the next 5-7 years, again.

+1

Archived