Mark Sanchez gets 5 year extension

Lupz27

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL... Oh man, that Tannenbaum is a sly one. Forcing Sanchez to take more guaranteed money for longer years. What a cold-a$$ mother****er.

Henne sucks, Campbell sucks, Flynn is a mirage, Orton is a steaming pile of dogsh*t... with the need to create cap space what would you have them do?

Really don't see how they could pull that off.

Between DBrick, and Sanchez cap savings (could be as much as 18 million between the 2) the Jets definetly are targeting someone, I believe it's Nicks, from NO, but it could be Mario.

Henne sucks, Campbell sucks, Flynn is a mirage, Orton is a steaming pile of dogsh*t... with the need to create cap space what would you have them do?

Not extend a guy who hasn't shown that he deserves that kind of money? If Sanchez busts, which, I don't know how you can not worry about that at this point, then this franchise is uber-****ed for the foreseeable future.

Of course Tannenbaum is going to make this kind of move. His job is always at risk. This is a move that maximizes the short-term gain, but really sets up a ton of risk down the road. But if Tanny is fired, it's not his problem anymore to worry about.

Jets give Sanchez contract extension, end pursuit of Manning

10:33 PM, March 9, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

No one has to worry about Mark Sanchez’s feelings anymore.

Once the Jets missed out on free agent Peyton Manning, the team finalized a contract extension with Sanchez.

The Jets agreed in principle with the quarterback on a three-year, $40.5 million extension on top of the two years he had remaining on his old deal. The terms of his new contract are five years, $58.25 million, with $20.5 million guaranteed, according to a source. There are an additional $10 million in escalators that could bring the total deal to $68.25 million.

“We feel really good about Mark as our starter,” Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. “Like all players there are definitely areas that can be improved it. But with a three-year body of work we felt good about the direction of Mark and Rex [Ryan] as the head coach/quarterback combination.”

The Jets approached Sanchez’s representatives a few weeks after the season ended about working on an extension. Talks accelerated at the NFL Scouting Combine last month in Indianapolis.

But the Jets kept the door to Manning open all along. The Jets called Manning’s representatives this week while still negotiating with Sanchez. When Manning did not include the Jets on his list of three teams he would visit, the Jets moved off Manning and onto Sanchez.

The sides agreed to the new deal, which likely will help the team's 2012 salary-cap situation, around 7 p.m. last night.

Tannenbaum said the team ha a duty to consider Manning because of his credentials.

“When Peyton Manning, a first-ballot Hall of Famer became available, just like I do every day and I’m committed to it, we looked into that possibility as someone to add to our team,” he said. “We looked at it, we had discussions internally, we monitored the situation. But as events continued to unfold we kept pushing the extension with Mark.”

Sanchez said he was not bothered by the team’s flirtation with Manning, who will visit the Broncos, Cardinals and Dolphins.

“I completely understand it now, especially after being in the NFL for three years now, that this is a business,” Sanchez said. “The team has its obligation to consider all its options. I’m excited the Jets believed in me and that I was the guy they wanted to move forward with in the future.”

Sanchez, who was drafted fifth overall in 2009 by the Jets, said he was just thrilled to know he would be with the team for a long time.

“It means the world to me. I’m absolutely pleased to be a Jet. … Now it’s time to get to work,” he said.

The move is surprising considering Sanchez struggled at times last year. After leading the Jets to the AFC title game in each of his first two years, Sanchez had 26 touchdowns but also had 18 interceptions last season.

Still, the Jets say they believe in Sanchez, despite their pursuit of Manning.

“We're excited and encouraged about the trajectory of Mark's career," Tannenbaum said.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_give_sanchez_contract_extension_DesYs644pS83XNOVQeukgM#ixzz1ogaMhWDi

This is the dumbest franchise in the history of sports. I'm honestly mind boggled not by the fact that we extended Sanchez, but more about the money he's still going to get AFTER he restructured. Does the average Jet fan know more than Tanny? This is crazy. I'm totally speechless. We have our eyes on someone and I truly hope it's Mario Williams.

Not extend a guy who hasn't shown that he deserves that kind of money? If Sanchez busts, which, I don't know how you can not worry about that at this point, then this franchise is uber-****ed for the foreseeable future.

Of course Tannenbaum is going to make this kind of move. His job is always at risk. This is a move that maximizes the short-term gain, but really sets up a ton of risk down the road. But if Tanny is fired, it's not his problem anymore to worry about.

Sanchez definitely regressed but locker room turmoil and physical ailments (we may not know the full story on), may have been enormous factors. I think Sporano helps restore order to the O and Rextradamus chillaxes with the guarantees.

This team will be fine next year... we haven't even seen any FA signings or draft picks yet. People need to relax.

Between DBrick, and Sanchez cap savings (could be as much as 18 million between the 2) the Jets definetly are targeting someone, I believe it's Nicks, from NO, but it could be Mario.

I would think it might be something low key. Like signing Demetrius Bell from Buffalo. Put him at the right side, instant upgrade. But yes I could see a move for Nicks, Slauson is nice, but he gives nothing beyond point of contact.

I also wouldn't put a shrewd trade out of the mix, something along the lines of a Kris Jenkins trade.

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

10668044-large.jpg

Mark Sanchez has spent his first three NFL seasons as the Jets' starting quarterback.

Forget the Peyton Manning sweepstakes: The Jets have signed quarterback Mark Sanchez to a three-year extension worth $40.5 million, keeping him under contract through 2016.

It was a huge vote of confidence for Sanchez, drafted to be the Jets’ franchise quarterback in the first round of the 2009 draft. Sanchez is now set up to earn $58.25 million over the next five years, with $20.5 million fully guaranteed in 2012 and 2013 and another $10 million possible in escalators, a person with knowledge of the terms said tonight. That person requested anonymity because the team did not announce the terms of the deal.

Love it. It means all of us, as fans, have to get over the whole "quick fix" mentality that has burned us more often than not. We've got a franchise quality QB and we are sticking with him.

Plus, shows you that the Jets are probably looking to make moves in free agency.

We've got a franchise quality QB

Link?

Love it. It means all of us, as fans, have to get over the whole "quick fix" mentality that has burned us more often than not.

Plus, shows you that the Jets are probably looking to make moves in free agency.

So we're getting over the quick-fix mentality, but we're loading up for free agency?

Good to see Tannenbaum's not the only one who adjusts reality to suit his fantasies.

A little too late, man. We're not even the 2nd best team in New York.

I look at it as a franchise finally staying the course, whether they are right or wrong on Sanchez the team will be moving in one direction for more than 2-3 years, blowing it up every couple of years is a recipe for failure, the Steelers have done this since the 70's, and never had a QB between Bradshaw, and Big Ben, sure they never won a SB between that, but they contended almost every season, you need to contend for a long period of time to get those SB chances. If Mark sucks going toward, but the Jets stay the course with the D, and OLine, they still will be a contender with the next QB who comes here.

We haven't seen the contract breakdown all we know is 1st 2 years are guaranteed 20.5 mill, if there is no big signing bonus this is essentially a a 2 year deal, and if he is here after those 2 years that probably mean 13.5 mill per for the final 3 years will be a more than fair price. In this scenario Mark will probably make very little in 2012 freeing up cap space, and will make a boat load in 2013, but that won't really matter cap wise cause it will increase significantly after the new TV contracts. If in 2 years Sanchez sucks you cut ties, but make sure your OLine and D is still top notch, and find your new QB to slide in with a still ready to win roster. Mangold, DBrick, Slauson, and a top draft pick in the next 2 years will keep the OLine very good, the d front line is young, and very good with Willerson, Ellis, and some other guys like Dixon, Pito, and who ever we draft or sign in the next 2 years, CB is set till 2014 with Wilson, Revis, and Cro, jets need to focus on upgrading OLB, and S, this years draft is stacked with potential OLB prospects, and next years is stacked with Safetys, a little scouting, and Luck we could be stacked everywhere with or without Sanchez, and at only 25 you gotta give it another try, look how long it took other QB's to become serviceable like Schaub, Cambell, Smith, Gannon, even elite guys like Eli, and Brees, I'm real glad the Jets stop chasing the shiny object, and are keeping their focus on the long term.

Link?

So we're getting over the quick-fix mentality, but we're loading up for free agency?

Good to see Tannenbaum's not the only one who adjusts reality to suit his fantasies.

Merely making a move in FA isn't a "quick fix"

A quick fix is when you junk your franchise QB three years in to bring in a QB approaching 40 with multiple neck surgeries. Right now we have some of the most important positions filled for the better part of a decade: QB, LT, C, D-Line, CB. Now we're going to get younger on both sides of the ball with this draft. For once, we're staying the course, not letting the wind push us every which way.

Archived