Mark Sanchez gets 5 year extension

Lupz27

Merely making a move in FA isn't a "quick fix"

A quick fix is when you junk your franchise QB three years in to bring in a QB approaching 40 with multiple neck surgeries. Right now we have some of the most important positions filled for the better part of a decade: QB, LT, C, D-Line, CB. Now we're going to get younger on both sides of the ball with this draft. For once, we're staying the course, not letting the wind push us every which way.

Bravo someone else gets it.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bravo someone else gets it.

Not all of us here fly off the handle with every move. One of my coworkers is going to be PISSED that we didn't get Manning. I've been telling him for days we weren't going to get him and we need to build for a sustainable team, not just one or two years. He doesn't get it, like so many here. People want a quick fix and just to win 1 championship. I don't want just one, I want them to build a team that contends each year for the next ten years. I'm sick of the 2-3 year plan that has plagued this franchise for so long.

Merely making a move in FA isn't a "quick fix"

A quick fix is when you junk your franchise QB three years in to bring in a QB approaching 40 with multiple neck surgeries. Right now we have some of the most important positions filled for the better part of a decade: QB, LT, C, D-Line, CB. Now we're going to get younger on both sides of the ball with this draft. For once, we're staying the course, not letting the wind push us every which way.

What will be funny is when Tannenbaum turns around and uses the cap savings from Sanchez's contract to sign Chad Henne, then watching Henne take Sanchez's job.

Could it be more obvious that the Jets fell on their face with Manning? This was clearly plan B.

I don't know the terms, but I assume Mark gets more guaranteed money somewhere in all this. Whether Sanchez pans out or not, I still think it's stupidly risky to invest more years into an unproven commodity. But probably the Jets had to resort to this since Plan A failed.

Rather do that than invest money and 1 year into a 36 year old with 4 surgeries that hasnt thrown a football competitvely in over a year and his best productive years behind him. I'd rather pay the unproven commodity around 10 mil less to atleast put myself in the position of possibly having something long term, not some one and done experiment and a waste of 25-30 mil or something ridiculous like that.

The euphoria of JN reaching 2 millions posts just got a kick in the nutsack.

There is plenty of people here who understand this was the right move. All it really does is guarantee Sanchez his final 2 seasons that were left on his old deal, except the salary is actually less for those 2 years then they were in his old deal. Be honest who out there could be a huge upgrade over Sanchez, factor in Manning was not coming here, and the Jets did not have the picks to trade up to #2. Don't give me QB's who never played in a playoff game like Henne, and Cambell either, and Orton sucks, if he didnt

He wouldn't be looking for his 4th franchise, and Flynn is more of a ? Mark then Sanchez.

Manning wasn't coming here by choice, if any of you thought that you have serious intelligence issues.

With the reconstructed contracts we have the ability to add some good pieces...NOT Mario Williams!

Amazing how people want to add yet another OLB that can't cover for sh*t and is suspect against the run for top dollars...this will be the same people that complain about handing out big contracts and being thin.

A mix between a couple good FA's and a good draft and we aren't far from two more AFC championship appearances and hopefully more.

And we wonder why we are not winning ?

Is he worth 27 M guaranteed over next two years. And then the money we guaranteed Holmes. These two better hook up for 1500 + yards!

Who's wondering? This is an idiotic move. Even if you believe he can get better, why hand him the job for 2 more years after an awful season?

Tannenbaum is a joke, and has proven so time and again.

Who's wondering? This is an idiotic move. Even if you believe he can get better, why hand him the job for 2 more years after an awful season?

Tannenbaum is a joke, and has proven so time and again.

Your Posting Extension license should arrive in the morning. We ask you sign the contract and get it back to us immediately. Thanks, we are giving first priority to Mark's biggest fans, like yourself.

Mark Sanchez to EY, Rutgers, Dbatesman, etc: HOW'S MY a$$ TASTE?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Just got my Sundays back for the next 2 years. Kind of appreciate it.

Dumbest move I've ever seen, and that's not at all a reflection on my feelings on the player.

Your Posting Extension license should arrive in the morning. We ask you sign the contract and get it back to us immediately. Thanks, we are giving first priority to Mark's biggest fans, like yourself.

Honestly, this transcends Sanchez. This franchise is pathetic. It's not about Manning either. You went 8-8, your offense was in the bottom of the league, and you give an extension and more guaranteed money to a guy who led the league in turnovers, and was in the bottom 3rd in nearly every statistical category. Mind-bogglingly stupid.

This is an all-in move by Tannenbaum who will be fired long before the team really suffers. We're as far from a Super Bowl as we've ever been.

Sanchez, flawed as he is, is a better option than what's left of Peyton Manning.

Imagine if we actually pretended to try to win. There is nothing in the past 3 years that shows sanchez should even be kept around let alone given an extension. I'm finally convinced that woody, tanny and unfortunately rex all have no idea what they're doing and will run this franchise further into the ground because they decided to draft arguably the worst QB besides jamarcus russel in the last 5 years and can't handle the fact that we need to just cut our losses and move on.

Maybe sanchez ends up being an OK QB but in the end he will end up costing our whole FO and Coaching staff their jobs before he wins a superbowl.

Honestly, this transcends Sanchez. This franchise is pathetic. It's not about Manning either. You went 8-8, your offense was in the bottom of the league, and you give an extension and more guaranteed money to a guy who led the league in turnovers, and was in the bottom 3rd in nearly every statistical category. Mind-bogglingly stupid.

This is an all-in move by Tannenbaum who will be fired long before the team really suffers. We're as far from a Super Bowl as we've ever been.

At this point are we better off just waiting out this season and watching everything implode so at least MAYBE we get a GM who actually knows something about football and is not just a glorified accountant?

If there is a plan for a real backup (Chad Henne?), great-if this gives salary cap relief.Otherwise it makes no sense. The jets were biddinga gainst themslves. If Sanchez was on the open market he wouldn't see anything clsoe to these numbers.

To echo others I could give a flying F__ about the tender feelings of Sanchez.At these prices his psyche is less important than his bank account. it's past time to grow up and be a real QB.

Tannenbaum put his head on the chopping block last night.

I have a friend who is a big Eagles fan. And he crows all the time about their smart salary cap management. That's all well and good, but when the Giants win Super Bowls and the Eagles don't get any trophies for salary cap management that's a really hollow thing to impress a fan base. Seems the Jets are now trying the same tack.

If there is a plan for a real backup (Chad Henne?), great-if this gives salary cap relief.

To echo others I could give a flying F__ about the tender feelings of Sanchez.At these prices his psyche is less important than his bank account. it's past time to grow up and be a real QB.

Tannenbaum put his head on the chopping block last night.

Do you not think Rex and Woody took part in this decision ? Of course if this does not work Tanny is the scape goat but he certainly did not make this decision by himself not by a longshot.

I look at it as a franchise finally staying the course, whether they are right or wrong on Sanchez the team will be moving in one direction for more than 2-3 years, blowing it up every couple of years is a recipe for failure, the Steelers have done this since the 70's, and never had a QB between Bradshaw, and Big Ben, sure they never won a SB between that, but they contended almost every season, you need to contend for a long period of time to get those SB chances. If Mark sucks going toward, but the Jets stay the course with the D, and OLine, they still will be a contender with the next QB who comes here.

We haven't seen the contract breakdown all we know is 1st 2 years are guaranteed 20.5 mill, if there is no big signing bonus this is essentially a a 2 year deal, and if he is here after those 2 years that probably mean 13.5 mill per for the final 3 years will be a more than fair price. In this scenario Mark will probably make very little in 2012 freeing up cap space, and will make a boat load in 2013, but that won't really matter cap wise cause it will increase significantly after the new TV contracts. If in 2 years Sanchez sucks you cut ties, but make sure your OLine and D is still top notch, and find your new QB to slide in with a still ready to win roster. Mangold, DBrick, Slauson, and a top draft pick in the next 2 years will keep the OLine very good, the d front line is young, and very good with Willerson, Ellis, and some other guys like Dixon, Pito, and who ever we draft or sign in the next 2 years, CB is set till 2014 with Wilson, Revis, and Cro, jets need to focus on upgrading OLB, and S, this years draft is stacked with potential OLB prospects, and next years is stacked with Safetys, a little scouting, and Luck we could be stacked everywhere with or without Sanchez, and at only 25 you gotta give it another try, look how long it took other QB's to become serviceable like Schaub, Cambell, Smith, Gannon, even elite guys like Eli, and Brees, I'm real glad the Jets stop chasing the shiny object, and are keeping their focus on the long term.

They are almsot certainly wrong. This is called throwing good money after bad. the move was to cut bait on Sanchez and get a real QB, not see that his grandchildren want for nothing in 2080.

crying+baby.jpg

Truth is I've cried over less. Hope all you Sanchez loving retarded faggots are happy. You deserve what you are going to get. Luckily I got two boys I can watch play high school ball for the next fours years. Because the Jets will be un-watchable for any fan holding onto a shred of reality. Please don't bother qouting me I got nothing left to say except **** you guys.

Truth is I've cried over less. Hope all you Sanchez loving retarded faggots are happy. You deserve what you are going to get. Luckily I got two boys I can watch play high school ball for the next fours years. Because the Jets will be un-watchable for any fan holding onto a shred of reality. Please don't bother qouting me I got nothing left to say except **** you guys.

Im not a retarded faggot crusher and common sense tells me a 25 year old QB who had to deal with major offensive issues last year but still threw 26 TDs and ran in 6 more is not a bad thing to have. Im sorry you clowns cant see that this team needs some real talent on the offensive side of the ball thats not fresh out of jail or taking pics of thier dicks on the internet . The hatred for Sanchez on these forums by a select few idiots is getting really old and stupid. The QB across town and his brother both did much worse in their first 3 years in the league and Giants fans wanted Eli the hell out of here and look what happened once they got him some talent to play with. What you fools need to be hoping for is that the Jets back up this signing and get some freakin REAL players in here to compete on offense if not your going to think your all right yet again when Sanchez fails due to lack of talent. This whole thing rides on the personnel decisions this team makes in the next few years and more importantly this year. If you guys are so unhappy with this move that you have to resort to constant name calling and stupid comments to get Rep then you should go root for the Giants. Now that this is over maybe you should start being a fan and hope your team makes the right moves moving forward

I would so much like to logically pick this apart.

And I cannot.

In fact my first thought was why I'll always root for this team, can I get out of my PSL? I have no desire at all to go the game any more. It will end as it always has-badly.We're looking at a 7-9 team that is now run by people who,despite all the evidence and rules, believe they can go against the tide and the rules(which BEG you to pass) and win without a good passing attack. And inexplicably they've decided to not only rehire but overpay the main culprit. If the Big Idea is "ground and pound", why overpay for an inferior QB who's main job is handing off 40 times a game?

Im not a retarded faggot crusher and common sense tells me a 25 year old QB who had to deal with major offensive issues last year but still threw 26 TDs and ran in 6 more is not a bad thing to have. Im sorry you clowns cant see that this team needs some real talent on the offensive side of the ball thats not fresh out of jail or taking pics of thier dicks on the internet . The hatred for Sanchez on these forums by a select few idiots is getting really old and stupid. The QB across town and his brother both did much worse in their first 3 years in the league and Giants fans wanted Eli the hell out of here and look what happened once they got him some talent to play with. What you fools need to be hoping for is that the Jets back up this signing and get some freakin REAL players in here to compete on offense if not your going to think your all right yet again when Sanchez fails due to lack of talent. This whole thing rides on the personnel decisions this team makes in the next few years and more importantly this year. If you guys are so unhappy with this move that you have to resort to constant name calling and stupid comments to get Rep then you should go root for the Giants. Now that this is over maybe you should start being a fan and hope your team makes the right moves moving forward

I won't resort to namecalling.

But you could've written the same exact thing about Chad Pennington at any time in his Jets' tenure.

You don't get it. You can surrounds turd with flowers and gold, but it's still a turd. Sanchez is a stiff.

Brees is still in a contract brawl in new Orleans. The Jets didn't have to do this until the end of the montth. As with Revis, Tannenbaum for a supposed lawyer has NO IDEA how to negotiate.

A great QB makes those players better. Sanchez wuill never be that QB. And overpaying and extending him when no one wants him makes no sense.

I won't resort to namecalling.

But you could've written the same exact thing about Chad Pennington at any time in his Jets' tenure.

You don't get it. You can surrounds turd with flowers and gold, but it's still a turd. Sanchez is a stiff.

Brees is still in a contract brawl in new Orleans. The Jets didn't have to do this until the end of the montth. As with Revis, Tannenbaum for a supposed lawyer has NO IDEA how to negotiate.

A great QB makes those players better. Sanchez wuill never be that QB. And overpaying and extending him when no one wants him makes no sense.

The guy is cutting corners to make the short-term a better place. Most likely because he knows that another down year might be enough to lose his job.

The D'brick restructuring I can get behind because even though he had a down year, he's shown that he's been a very good pass-blocking LT. He's someone I'm good with being here long-term since it's really hard to find a good LT in this league.

Sanchez has been nothing but inconsistent the past three seasons. It's a ******* roll of the dice as to whether he'll be able to pull himself together to become a good QB. The guy has not had to earn his job at all, and this contract just ensures that he will not have to for the next several years.

The guy is cutting corners to make the short-term a better place. Most likely because he knows that another down year might be enough to lose his job.

The D'brick restructuring I can get behind because even though he had a down year, he's shown that he's been a very good pass-blocking LT. He's someone I'm good with being here long-term since it's really hard to find a good LT in this league.

Sanchez has been nothing but inconsistent the past three seasons. It's a ******* roll of the dice as to whether he'll be able to pull himself together to become a good QB. The guy has not had to earn his job at all, and this contract just ensures that he will not have to for the next several years.

Woudl rather if this was the big idea bring him into camp under the old deal with Henne or Hasslebeck or even McElroy and demand he earn his job for once. The cap relief is irrelevant if he cannot do that minimal achievement. ANd right now I doubt he could beat any of them, even McElroy, if he wasn't the incumbent.

This is a roll of the dice-at 4AM after dropping your bankroll all night and dipping into your mortgage and kids' college money.It's an insane roll.

Archived