Cimini's Thoughts on the Extension

KINGDIRK

You know its scary when someone like Cimini is dead on......this is probably his best article in years....the final sentance is downright disturbing....

I have so many opinions on the Mark Sanchez contract extension that I don't know where to start. This move is so stunning, so confounding, so impulsive, so typical of the Jets. Let's start big-picture and take it from there:

1. The three-year, $40.5 million extension (through 2016) means Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum are all-in with Sanchez. He'll either make them famous or get them fired. The deal includes $20.5 million in guarantees in the first two years and no offsets, meaning he's their starting quarterback for at least two more seasons.

2. Let's take a closer look. Sanchez had no guaranteed money remaining on his old contract, but you had to figure his $11.8 million for 2012 was safe. (You didn't really think they were going to get Peyton Manning, did you?) So in essence, the Jets tossed in another $8.7 million in guarantees for '12 and '13.

3. Tannenbaum said they were in negotiations for "several weeks," and I believe him, but it can't be a coincidence that this deal was wrapped up on the same day Manning decided what we all expected anyway -- he's not going to play for the Jets. The contract extension screams of a public-relations move.

4. This is "statement" money. To eliminate any questions about Sanchez's standing with the team or stature in the locker room, the Jets answered with the kind of vote of confidence that grabs everybody's attention -- money! They took a page out of the Stephen Ross book. Stuck with Tony Sparano last season after getting jilted by Jim Harbaugh, Ross, the Dolphins' owner, tried to make it better by giving Sparano a contract extension. It didn't make it better.

5. The Jets rewarded a player after openly acknowledging he didn't progress as expected. What kind of message does that send? When the season ended, Tannenbaum said Sanchez "didn't play well," admitting they weren't pleased with his rate of development. Instead of keeping the pressure on him and making him play for the guaranteed pay, they just handed it to him.

6. Uh, I don't think this is going to quash the perception that he's coddled.

7. It sure looks like the Jets tried to use their interest in Manning as leverage in the Sanchez negotiations. Maybe that's why they were so hush-hush throughout the process.

8. It was costly, but at least this lets the locker room know the organization is behind Sanchez as the leader of the franchise. No "C" for Sanchez, though, just a lot of M's -- millions.

9. Not sure of Sanchez's new cap number for '12, but it's significantly less than the original $14.3 million. This will give them more flexibility in free agency. Tannenbaum said cap relief wasn't the purpose of the new deal, but he'll take it.

10. Forget about signing a quality No. 2 backup. Presumably, this contract will scare away the top free agents because they know it's Sanchez's job. Money talks.

11. They're putting a lot of faith in Sparano, the new coordinator, to get Sanchez back on track.

12. Bottom line: This is a risky move for the Jets. Sanchez has shown promise in his first three seasons, there's no doubt, but after last season's struggles, there's no way we can say for sure that he will be an elite quarterback. The Jets increased their bet on Sanchez at a time when they didn't have to do anything.

If it wasn't about making cap room, why do it?? I don't get it.

Idk either, They probably felt bad about trying to pursue Manning, so they tried to make it up to Sanchez by giving him money. What they should've done is tell him to MAN THE **** UP and GET OVER IT! They were inquiring on one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game, it's not like they were trying to replace him w/ some scrub. Plus this should've been the put up or shut up year. If he sucks, he's cut but now we can't do that -_-

Bottom line: This is a risky move for the Jets. Sanchez has shown promise in his first three seasons, there's no doubt, but after last season's struggles, there's no way we can say for sure that he will be an elite quarterback. The Jets increased their bet on Sanchez at a time when they didn't have to do anything.

Spot on.

I read on PFT from Florio that it saved us over $6 on this year's cap. I love when Cimini writes an article that trashes a player people here hate, it's a great article, but when he's bashing someone else, then he's a hack. His articles are all based on hate, with no research. He didn't have ESPN Stats & Information to back him up on this one this time. Maybe he should have done more research like Mehta's been doing before writing the article?

You know its scary when someone like Cimini is dead on......this is probably his best article in years....the final sentance is downright disturbing....

I have so many opinions on the Mark Sanchez contract extension that I don't know where to start. This move is so stunning, so confounding, so impulsive, so typical of the Jets. Let's start big-picture and take it from there:

1. The three-year, $40.5 million extension (through 2016) means Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum are all-in with Sanchez. He'll either make them famous or get them fired. The deal includes $20.5 million in guarantees in the first two years and no offsets, meaning he's their starting quarterback for at least two more seasons.

2. Let's take a closer look. Sanchez had no guaranteed money remaining on his old contract, but you had to figure his $11.8 million for 2012 was safe. (You didn't really think they were going to get Peyton Manning, did you?) So in essence, the Jets tossed in another $8.7 million in guarantees for '12 and '13.

3. Tannenbaum said they were in negotiations for "several weeks," and I believe him, but it can't be a coincidence that this deal was wrapped up on the same day Manning decided what we all expected anyway -- he's not going to play for the Jets. The contract extension screams of a public-relations move.

4. This is "statement" money. To eliminate any questions about Sanchez's standing with the team or stature in the locker room, the Jets answered with the kind of vote of confidence that grabs everybody's attention -- money! They took a page out of the Stephen Ross book. Stuck with Tony Sparano last season after getting jilted by Jim Harbaugh, Ross, the Dolphins' owner, tried to make it better by giving Sparano a contract extension. It didn't make it better.

5. The Jets rewarded a player after openly acknowledging he didn't progress as expected. What kind of message does that send? When the season ended, Tannenbaum said Sanchez "didn't play well," admitting they weren't pleased with his rate of development. Instead of keeping the pressure on him and making him play for the guaranteed pay, they just handed it to him.

7. It sure looks like the Jets tried to use their interest in Manning as leverage in the Sanchez negotiations. Maybe that's why they were so hush-hush throughout the process.

8. It was costly, but at least this lets the locker room know the organization is behind Sanchez as the leader of the franchise. No "C" for Sanchez, though, just a lot of M's -- millions.

9. Not sure of Sanchez's new cap number for '12, but it's significantly less than the original $14.3 million. This will give them more flexibility in free agency. Tannenbaum said cap relief wasn't the purpose of the new deal, but he'll take it.

10. Forget about signing a quality No. 2 backup. Presumably, this contract will scare away the top free agents because they know it's Sanchez's job. Money talks.

11. They're putting a lot of faith in Sparano, the new coordinator, to get Sanchez back on track.

12. Bottom line: This is a risky move for the Jets. Sanchez has shown promise in his first three seasons, there's no doubt, but after last season's struggles, there's no way we can say for sure that he will be an elite quarterback. The Jets increased their bet on Sanchez at a time when they didn't have to do anything.

Its a great article if you consider the fact he has no idea what he's talking about.

My favorite is #6

Aside from that, Sanchez has increased his stat-line every year that he's been in the league. He started out crappy, but now he's a better-crappy.

This absolutely does show that Sanchez is coddled and it absolutely is "statement" money to players who figured, "OK one more year - if he even makes it the whole season without getting benched - and we're done with this guy."

This does limit the team's options for a "competition" at QB this season, next season and, depending on player availability at the time, the season after that. Or are we to believe that even unexciting players like Campbell or Henne or Orton couldn't possibly beat him out this summer?

Worst of all is telling 50+ other players that they are rewarding this one player, at the most important position on the field, for what they themselves considered a failure season where he regressed when they were banking on a giant leap in improvement. You tell this one player that he'll be rewarded if he really takes his game to that next level, then giving it to him anyway when he falls flat on his face pursuing that goal.

There is more to this than just the dollars. Even a jerk like Cimini can see that.

Its a great article if you consider the fact he has no idea what he's talking about.

IMO it's an article the screams I need to stir up more controversy by getting Jets fans in a frenzy so I can get more traffic, because he knows deep down that this is a signing that screams We the Jets organization is done panicking at every bump, and will become a much more stable franchise by staying the course, instead of remaining a joke of a franchise that jumps on the shiniest object at every sign of turmoil. This entail makes Dick Cimini's job of creating traffic much more difficult because he only knows how to write junk that creates controversy, not actual good football relates articles, and the Jets will be creating less controversy, and more football news if they follow through with the stay the course plan as a franchise much to Dick's chagrin.

I hate Cimini except when he hates the same thing I hate, then I like him.

The Jets should've cut Sanchez and gone after the available imaginary QB they could afford who's clearly better than him.

I hate Cimini except when he hates the same thing I hate, then I like him.

The Jets should've cut Sanchez and gone after the available imaginary QB they could afford who's clearly better than him.

Tannenbaum is like a crackhead that just sold his mother's couch for $20 in cap room to go chase the latest in a string of overpriced vets. He'll probably use the $6 mil he saved by tying Sanchez around Rex's neck to go out and get Jarrett Johnson. I think Cimini's overall point is that they didn't have to do anything with Sanchez's contract right now.

Tannenbaum is like a crackhead that just sold his mother's couch for $20 in cap room to go chase the latest in a string of overpriced vets. He'll probably use the $6 mil he saved by tying Sanchez around Rex's neck to go out and get Jarrett Johnson. I think Cimini's overall point is that they didn't have to do anything with Sanchez's contract right now.

Shockingly, I think he'd then be wrong.

Tannenbaum may certainly fvck it up, but the Jets have a lot of holes on their roster and that $6.4M could go a long way towards filling a few of them.

OK let me channel the anti-SOJ crowd: Sanchez DESERVES this contract because we drafted him in the first round and he's OUR quarterback. Look at how other 4th year QBs progressed, why one even went from 25 INTs to a Super Bowl MVP-Sanchez will do it too. They are smarter than we are, they all KNOW how great Mark is, they see things that we mere mortals cannot fathom. They understand why he throws the opposition 8.5 points EVERY game by fumbles and pick sixes. Mark is great he DESERVES every red cent the Jets can give him. He is so special that no competition should EVER be brought in-they might take his job and REALLY hurt his feelings. In fact I'm going to the mall and I'm going to purchase a number 6 Jets jersey in support of "OUR" QB.

Correct but without the stamp of approval (extension) you have to wonder what we would have got out of that POS Holmes and if Sanchez would have any control over the locker room and huddle. I may be wrong but I honestly think once this becomes his team and .guys like Holmes are shown the door, he will be fine.

I was of the mindset of giving Sanchez 8 games this year to make or break his time here so I understand the haters point of view. This extension makes some sense as it shows cancers like Holmes that the FO is behind Sanchez for at least another season.

A lame duck season at QB would have been ugly and it does bring some CAP relief. This "competition" at QB crap is stupid as well especially considering the names that some are lauding as better QB's.

OK let me channel the anti-SOJ crowd: Sanchez DESERVES this contract because we drafted him in the first round and he's OUR quarterback. Look at how other 4th year QBs progressed, why one even went from 25 INTs to a Super Bowl MVP-Sanchez will do it too. They are smarter than we are, they all KNOW how great Mark is, they see things that we mere mortals cannot fathom. They understand why he throws the opposition 8.5 points EVERY game by fumbles and pick sixes. Mark is great he DESERVES every red cent the Jets can give him. He is so special that no competition should EVER be brought in-they might take his job and REALLY hurt his feelings. In fact I'm going to the mall and I'm going to purchase a number 6 Jets jersey in support of "OUR" QB.

Ouch.

This "competition" at QB crap is stupid as well especially considering the names that some are lauding as better QB's.

Exactly. This extension is generally being viewed unfavorably because of some imaginary QB they will theoretically fail to sign this offseason.

Seems like you have someone to cuddle with in the SOJ club

It was too crowded in your I seriously don't care if the Jets ever get to a Superbowl club.

Besides, you were always the one to piss on this franchise for letting go of "home grown" talents like Victor Hobson and Chris Baker and were sure they'd make us pay as members of the Pats for years. The former you predicted would go to the pro bowl when New England picked him out of our garbage dumpster.

The coddled argument is silly now. Not because the extension shows Sanchez is coddled, but that the extension is the Jets saying FU to the people saying he's coddled.

In other words, tje Jets are saying to the players, "You think Sanchez is coddled? So what? He'll be here longer than you so deal with it."

Archived