PFT: Breaking down Sanchez's "lipstick and powder" contract

dbatesman

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im sure they will draft someone. Since Tannnbaum took over its been a search seemingly every season.

In 2006 they drafted Clemens in round 2 and traded a 6 for Pat Ramsey

In 2008 they spent a 5 on Ainge

In 2009 they spent a 1 and 2 on Sanchez plus a bunch of players

In 2011 they spent a 7 on McElroy plus owed a 7th on the trade for O'Connell

So 7 picks in 6 years with more or less nothing to show for it at the position. Maybe the Jets should start thinking the free agent route...

I'm pretty sure that's because Tannenbaum has admitted to following what Dick Haley (I think it was him) used to do and pick a QB every year or every other year.

They substantially lowered his cap numbers for two years, gave themselves major protection if he pans out, and can cut him for dirt cheap if he doesn't after year 2. His cap numbers do not necessarily prevent the Jets from acquiring another QB despite what most think. Sadly I do not see them bringing in real competition however.

If only that were true. They lowered his cap number for one year, not two. His cap number in 2013 is higher than it was before by a couple million plus it's now fully guaranteed along with another $5M on top of that for the new SB.

Agree on your last point. They would make themselves look more foolish than they already do if they guaranteed Sanchez another $20M and then someone beat him out for the job before week 1 this season. They will bring in someone like Henne who will know his place is holding a clipboard and not showing up Miss Honey.

Im sure they will draft someone. Since Tannnbaum took over its been a search seemingly every season.

So 7 picks in 6 years with more or less nothing to show for it at the position. Maybe the Jets should start thinking the free agent route...

Tanny has no clue on player evaluation, fairly obvious

I still don't get it. Why not wait till after this year?

if Mark doesn't do this deal, they have no cap room to speak of. They needed to make this deal to make room for whatever they are planning next. Be it Pouha or another free agent. If Mark plays out this year he's at 14+ mil cap hit and basically the Jets can't make any moves.

If only that were true. They lowered his cap number for one year, not two. His cap number in 2013 is higher than it was before by a couple million plus it's now fully guaranteed along with another $5M on top of that for the new SB.

Next year isn't as tough to get under the cap seeing that both Scott and Pace come off the books.

Next year isn't as tough to get under the cap seeing that both Scott and Pace come off the books.

I said his cap number is not lower next year than it would have otherwise been. This is not a disputable opinion. It is fact.

What is opinion is that if we do not win the superbowl this season, thanks specifically to the $6.4M in relief afforded only to this year's cap, then this was a terrible and shortsighted decision.

Except what legit backup QB will want to come here since there is no chance to be the starter for 2 years (the likely length of a backup QB's contract) any more than there is in Green Bay.

Why is it NOT possible in your opinion for the Jets not to bench Sanchez in 2013 being he's only on the books for 8-9 mil?

If he's that bad next year, I could see this happening.

Why is it NOT possible in your opinion for the Jets not to bench Sanchez in 2013 being he's only on the books for 8-9 mil?

If he's that bad next year, I could see this happening.

He's on the books - the cap - for almost another $18M, not another $8-9M. It's another $8.75M of additional guaranteed salary & workout bonus. Then there's the other $8.9M worth of cap hits from 2013+ for signing bonuses previously received.

Of course it is possible. It is also unlikely - yes, in my opinion - since the very people who would be responsible for bringing in legitimate competition are the same people whose fates may be tied to Sanchez's success.

He's on the books - the cap - for almost another $18M, not another $8-9M. It's another $8.75M of additional guaranteed salary & workout bonus. Then there's the other $8.9M worth of cap hits from 2013+ for signing bonuses previously received.

Of course it is possible. It is also unlikely - yes, in my opinion - since the very people who would be responsible for bringing in legitimate competition are the same people whose fates may be tied to Sanchez's success.

I understand.

Yup, he's our starter regardless, lol

• 10 months later...

Or the new GM route?

hmmmm

Archived