Jets Interested In S Brandon Meriweather

JetNation

OK, youll see.

I think you're misunderstanding. I don't think anyone is doubting your assessment, it's just that you are clearly quite unaware of how unbelievably god awful Eric Smith is at safety. If you're capable of staying on your feet for more than 2 seconds without planting face first into the ground than you're already a better option for the position than he is.

Yes. :rl:

Cracks me up.....now that Meriweather has the potential to become a Jet - he's a good safety. As a Patriots he sucked. If Meriwether ends up in - say Buffalo - they'll be saying he sucks again. Jets fans.....sigh....

I would just spend the extra bucks and get Laron Landry...we aren't up against the cap right now, and a Landry signing combined with a new RT makes this FA season a great success for the Jets.

Why aren't the Jets up against the cap right now? They opened FA with about 14 million. They have signed Pouha, Thomas, Maybin, and need a couple of million for the rookie pool. That doesn't leave a whole lot. it appears the Jets wisely aren't going to be pushing much money down the road this year to clear some cap space for 13-14.

They are in need of a WR, S, RT, OLB, and back up QB.

Over paying, and "just spend the extra bucks" doesn't appear to be on the schedule this off season. A player who has missed 15 games in two years, and has an Achilles injury he doesn't want to operated on doesn't seem to be a good idea to me.

Jets will get active in a few days with the 2nd and 3drd tier guys, or if guys like Landry can't find anyone stupid enough to give them big money

Cracks me up.....now that Meriweather has the potential to become a Jet - he's a good safety. As a Patriots he sucked. If Meriwether ends up in - say Buffalo - they'll be saying he sucks again. Jets fans.....sigh....

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it? Pretty much everyone in this thread has admitted he isn't all that great. The difference is, he's still a hell of a lot better than the garbage the Jets currently having sitting back at safety. Before you start sighing at Jets fans, maybe you Pats fans need to learn how to read.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it? Pretty much everyone in this thread has admitted he isn't all that great. The difference is, he's still a hell of a lot better than the garbage the Jets currently having sitting back at safety. Before you start sighing at Jets fans, maybe you Pats fans need to learn how to read.

The issue is, he really isn't any better than what you already have - you'll see, IF you sign him.

The issue is, he really isn't any better than what you already have - you'll see, IF you sign him.

Ha! Maybe you havent seen who we've been rolling out there at S lately.

I'd prefer Nelson but pretty much anyone is an upgrade and signing a cheap mediocre safety like Meriweather who can be a starter - gives the Jets flexibility in the draft.

Ha! Maybe you havent seen who we've been rolling out there at S lately.

I'd prefer Nelson but pretty much anyone is an upgrade and signing a cheap mediocre safety like Meriweather who can be a starter - gives the Jets flexibility in the draft.

This is the scoop on Brandon:

Firece hitter who can allegedly cover - but often free-lances to a detriment....so much so, that he whiffs so bad he was actually benched for a while. His explanation - (I'm paraphrasing) "yah, I was kind of not listening and doing my own thing out there." Really.

He has a budding rap career he's working on.....go to youtube. He's very proud.

He loves to celebrate - even when he makes a tackle after a five yard gain.

He's really, really dumb.

Trust me, I hope you do sign him. If there is a player I am confident in exploiting, it's him.

This is the scoop on Brandon:

Firece hitter who can allegedly cover - but often free-lances to a detriment....so much so, that he whiffs so bad he was actually benched for a while. His explanation - (I'm paraphrasing) "yah, I was kind of not listening and doing my own thing out there." Really.

He has a budding rap career he's working on.....go to youtube. He's very proud.

He loves to celebrate - even when he makes a tackle after a five yard gain.

He's really, really dumb.

Trust me, I hope you do sign him. If there is a player I am confident in exploiting, it's him.

Again, you arent factoring Eric Smith into this. He's literally the worst starting safety I've ever seen. Hands down. I've watched Meriweather, he's bad, but he's not nearly as bad as Eric Smith. I assure you. You exploit Eric Smith every time he's on the field, dont see how someone who is better and knows your offense could be any worse. But whatever...we all know Meriweather sucks but we know Smith sucks worse.

Again, you arent factoring Eric Smith into this. He's literally the worst starting safety I've ever seen. Hands down. I've watched Meriweather, he's bad, but he's not nearly as bad as Eric Smith. I assure you. You exploit Eric Smith every time he's on the field, dont see how someone who is better and knows your offense could be any worse. But whatever...we all know Meriweather sucks but we know Smith sucks worse.

And there it is right there. As long as Meriweather doesn't trip and fall on his face whenever another player gets within 10 yards of him, he's already got one big edge on Smith. I don't particularly think Meriweather is a good player, but with Smith at one safety spot and the other currently being occupied by absolutely nobody, which is only slightly better than Smith, signing him to at least compete at the position with whatever other FAs, draft picks, etc they come up with isn't exactly the worst thing in the world either.

And there it is right there. As long as Meriweather doesn't trip and fall on his face whenever another player gets within 10 yards of him, he's already got one big edge on Smith. I don't particularly think Meriweather is a good player, but with Smith at one safety spot and the other currently being occupied by absolutely nobody, which is only slightly better than Smith, signing him to at least compete at the position with whatever other FAs, draft picks, etc they come up with isn't exactly the worst thing in the world either.

Ha! Yeah, we currently only have 1 starting safety on the team who is the worst starting safety in the league. Signing a pos who's a better pos than we already have is a decent move that gives the Jets some flexibility in the draft and not forced to reach for a guy like Barron in the first. I'd still prefer Nelson but the move makes sense either way.

///stares down Gato

What trouble has Wilfork ever been in?

None.

My point is you say U of Miami thug but your content with Vince Wilfork being on your team cause it benefits you because you're stupid, biased, and a hypocrite.

Both have been in trouble with the league for their play on the field and while NEITHER have had off the field issues, I've heard mulitple times that Vince Wilfork is somewhat of a dirty player.

Doesn't make either of them thugs.

Matter of fact, you wouldn't know a thug if he feel out the sky and landed on your moped.

speaking of Safeties, rumor has it that Laron Landry is scheduled to visit the Pats very soon. I 'dunno 'bout this guy. Coming off an achillies injury. Believe he's had limited playing time because of injury past two years.....and look at him! Steriods much? I have a hard time believing someone this bulky can help in coverage- run support, sure - but in space? The dude looks like a linebacker.

laron-landry-ripped-muscles-530x471.jpg

Again, you arent factoring Eric Smith into this. He's literally the worst starting safety I've ever seen. Hands down.

Eric Smith played with a torn meniscus. Walking with this injury is tough, I don't know how he played with it.

I suspect that a healed Eric Smith will be a much improved player.

yes the Jets are looking for starting safety, to replace Leonard/pool. neither of which are currently on teh roster.

i'll get killed for saying it but Eric Smith is actually decent. He's the Jets hardest hitter and leading tackler.

Meriweather is not great, he can prolly consider good a couple times a year.

He is hit or miss.

He did however make the ProBowl twice which is a hell of a lot better since we all know Smith isn't sniffing Hawaii unless its a family vacay on his own dime. Even his Meri was an injury sub or whatever, at his best he was still, what? One of the better 6 FS in the AFC, and he is young.... I'll TAKE HIM.

JET FANS...don't let bitter Massholes talk you into believing that this isnt a decent pickup, they were ok with Meri when he wasn't on BB's sh*tlist.

Its called posturing so that they can say how dumb of a pick up he was when he doesn't turn out to be Ed Reed.

Meriweather is not great, he can prolly consider good a couple times a year.

He is hit or miss.

He did however make the ProBowl twice which is a hell of a lot better since we all know Smith isn't sniffing Hawaii unless its a family vacay on his own dime. Even his Meri was an injury sub or whatever, at his best he was still, what? One of the better 6 FS in the AFC, and he is young.... I'll TAKE HIM.

JET FANS...don't let bitter Massholes talk you into believing that this isnt a decent pickup, they were ok with Meri when he wasn't on BB's sh*tlist.

Its called posturing so that they can say how dumb of a pick up he was when he doesn't turn out to be Ed Reed.

Incorrect, Jets fan. Nobody was "okay" with Brandon, we just put up with him because we all drink the Belichick koolaid. Shoot, I remember Pats fans screaming "wtf?" when Brandon made the pro-bowl. Seriously, I still say it.

Incorrect, Jets fan. Nobody was "okay" with Brandon, we just put up with him because we all drink the Belichick koolaid. Shoot, I remember Pats fans screaming "wtf?" when Brandon made the pro-bowl. Seriously, I still say it.

In all fairness to Brandon, he did deserve the first pro bowl. The second one was a joke.

In all fairness to Brandon, he did deserve the first pro bowl. The second one was a joke.

I never really warmed up to him. Ever. Thought he did his own thing out there - and often not well. And then come to find out he really was doing his own thing....sigh.

The safety position will be the death of this Pats fan. Meriweather - bleh. Sergio Brown - shoot me! James Ihedigbo - lousy safety. Chung - mediocre. Slater in a pinch - scary!

...and Jets fans think they have saftey issues....

I swear, they made the SB because 1) well, duh, offense and 2) Belichick's ability to find D scrubs that buy-in the philosophy, work hard, do what they are told and beleive in the team concept.

Eric Smith played with a torn meniscus. Walking with this injury is tough, I don't know how he played with it.

yes the Jets are looking for starting safety, to replace Leonard/pool. neither of which are currently on teh roster.

i'll get killed for saying it but Eric Smith is actually decent. He's the Jets hardest hitter and leading tackler.

The injury excuse is cute and all, but unless he's been playing with a torn meniscus for 6 years, I'm pretty sure that doesn't really hold water. The guy is flat out awful and hitting hard doesn't get you a damn thing, outside of a bunch of penalties, especially when the player in question misses countless tackles, whiffing because of his desire to get those hard hits instead of just wrapping a guy up like he's supposed to.

Anybody, and I mean anybody, would be an upgrade over the sh*t that we currently have at safety!!!

he might be one of the dumbest players in the AFC but at least he's fast-let's see; Eric Smith=very smart player but can't catch up with any WRs or Merriweather, who can...

I never really warmed up to him. Ever. Thought he did his own thing out there - and often not well. And then come to find out he really was doing his own thing....sigh.

The safety position will be the death of this Pats fan. Meriweather - bleh. Sergio Brown - shoot me! James Ihedigbo - lousy safety. Chung - mediocre. Slater in a pinch - scary!

I swear, they made the SB because 1) well, duh, offense and 2) Belichick's ability to find D scrubs that buy-in the philosophy, work hard, do what they are told and beleive in the team concept.

Both teams are probably in the bottom 5 of the league as far as Safety talent. Funny thing is Meriweather is probably more talented than any player on either roster...just a total dumbass headcase lol....still worth a shot for the Jets imo.

:face:

My point is you say U of Miami thug but your content with Vince Wilfork being on your team cause it benefits you because you're stupid, biased, and a hypocrite.

Both have been in trouble with the league for their play on the field and while NEITHER have had off the field issues, I've heard mulitple times that Vince Wilfork is somewhat of a dirty player.

Doesn't make either of them thugs.

Matter of fact, you wouldn't know a thug if he feel out the sky and landed on your moped.

Shooting incident

On July 21, 2006 Meriweather was involved in a shooting incident when teammate Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks. In self defense, Meriweather returned fire and shot at the unidentified shooters three times. Meriweather was not charged with a crime because his gun was owned legally.

Miami-FIU Brawl

During the Miami-FIU brawl on October 14, 2006, Meriweather was seen stomping multiple times on several Florida International players on the ground. Meriweather was ultimately suspended by the ACC and Miami for his role in the incident.[4] It is believed that his actions during the brawl and the shooting incident may have caused his draft stock to slip.

Merieather was also accused of being the shooter at a party back in his old hood. When the money got passed around, everyone suddenly had selective amnesia and Merriweather was actually a hero.

You have as many brain cells as Brandon Meriweather. Probably less.

Shooting incident

On July 21, 2006 Meriweather was involved in a shooting incident when teammate Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks. In self defense, Meriweather returned fire and shot at the unidentified shooters three times. Meriweather was not charged with a crime because his gun was owned legally.

Miami-FIU Brawl

During the Miami-FIU brawl on October 14, 2006, Meriweather was seen stomping multiple times on several Florida International players on the ground. Meriweather was ultimately suspended by the ACC and Miami for his role in the incident.[4] It is believed that his actions during the brawl and the shooting incident may have caused his draft stock to slip.

Merieather was also accused of being the shooter at a party back in his old hood. When the money got passed around, everyone suddenly had selective amnesia and Merriweather was actually a hero.

You have as many brain cells as Brandon Meriweather. Probably less.

Ummmm,

One seems to be self defense.

"Thugs" don't own legal guns.

Second, on field.

Third, is an accusation....

Like the one that was made against Julian Edelman for groping a vagina...where did he go to school?

You're a hypocrite, plain and simple.

LOL.... O RLY?

Like we all wouldn't want Mario Williams in a Jets uniform if we had the cap room. Unfortunately you can't make a big splash every year. We just don't have the cap room this time around.

Ohhh, yet we could've signed Peyton...

Ohhh, yet we could've signed Peyton...

1. No, probably not. I don't think we really even went after him. We made a call.

2. In any event, signing Peyton was more likely than signing Williams. Signing Peyton would have allowed you to cut Sanchez and save all that cap.

Liking going for the kill shot and hitting another Patriot? Yeah, the Pats have been hurting since Rodney retired. Serious man crush on that dude.

That is why I think Belichick deserved serious consideration for Coach of the Year. While Gm Belichick is not doing Coach Belichick any favors, he largely made chicken salad out of chicken $hit.

Archived