Woody Johnson: Jets Passed on Manning

flgreen

Owner Woody Johnson says Jets 'passed' on Peyton Manning

Published: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 11:02 PM Updated: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 11:05 PM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

10685915-large.jpgDoug Pensinger/Getty ImagesOwner Woody Johnson expects a "growth spurt" from Mark Sanchez this year.

Two days after the Peyton Manning sweepstakes opened last week, the Jets went the other direction, giving quarterback Mark Sanchez a three-year, $40.5 million contract extension. In an interview with Fox Business Network tonight, owner Woody Johnson said the Jets pulled out of the

Manning chase and put their trust in Sanchez.

“We passed on him," Johnson said of Manning. "We’re signed up with our quarterback. Sanchez is not leaving. We’ve got a pretty good tether, we’ve got five years. We like Mark.”

Johnson acknowledged the Jets looked into the possibility of signing Manning, the former Colts MVP quarterback who was released last week, citing due diligence.

“We have to," Johnson said of exploring Manning's availability. "Our fans expect us to look at every opportunity. We looked at the body of work of Mark Sanchez and wanted to put our faith in him. We have a new offensive coordinator, Tony Sparano, who loves Mark and the team he has around him.”

Johnson called Manning "maybe the best quarterback ever that played the game" and projected that he will sign "wherever he wants." The soon-to-be 36-year-old quarterback missed the entire 2011 season after a reported four neck surgeries, but Johnson believes Manning "may be ageless" and can be "great" in his comeback, so long as he can throw and be comfortable in the pocket.

Sanchez is coming off an inconsistent third season lowlighted by 26 turnovers, but the organization had enough faith to guarantee him $20.5 million -- and essentially the starting job -- in 2012 and 2013. Johnson said the Jets "never had to discuss" what Sanchez's future with the Jets would have been if Manning came aboard.

"Mark is a very confident guy, but not confident to a fault," Johnson said. "I think he’s going to be an excellent leader. I think we’ll see a so-called growth spurt this year. I think he’ll be very good with Tony’s offense.”

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woody is basically assuming Jets fans are stupid. I'd be offended if I were you, no matter your thoughts on Manning.

offended? That's ridiculous. I have enough reasons to be offended in this world. I don't need to make stuff up about the owner of the Jets not wanting to break the bank on ANOTHER old man QB. Especially one who has had 4 neck surgeries. NECK surgeries and hasn't played since the playoffs in 2010. That's before the friggin lockout man.

Add to that Sanchez beat him in his own house his last game as a Colt and there's lots of truth to what he's saying. While I would be a mental case not to respect what Manning has done and how great he is, I seriously don't think it's a smart gamble for a team that already has a young winning QB on the roster albeit not the most dominant guy in the world.

I have spoken :D

I don't need to make stuff up about the owner of the Jets not wanting to break the bank on ANOTHER old man QB. Especially one who has had 4 neck surgeries. NECK surgeries and hasn't played since the playoffs in 2010. That's before the friggin lockout man.

Add to that Sanchez beat him in his own house his last game as a Colt and there's lots of truth to what he's saying.

+1 Peyton Manning sucks. Im just gonna say it. the dude sucks right now. He's old, rusty and hurt. And he thinks he's still in his prime. Not to mention he's money grubbing. If you are one of the 4 teams left in the Manning sweepstakes, he's just playing them all against each other for a big paycheck. this is a player who perpetually cap-crippled the Colts. Say what you will about Brady, he took a below market deal to keep the Pats competitive. Manning is just super greedy. He can have a million endorsements, he wants 2 million.

I believe him 100%.. They were negotiating the Sanchez deal way before Manning was released , and Manning is now adding new teams to the mix like TN, theres little chance he gave them a firm no like he did the redskins

Good for them I guess, but if Sanchez fails Tanny and maybe Rex will be shown the door .. As it should in Tanny's case...frankly

+1 Peyton Manning sucks. Im just gonna say it. the dude sucks right now. He's old, rusty and hurt. And he thinks he's still in his prime. Not to mention he's money grubbing. If you are one of the 4 teams left in the Manning sweepstakes, he's just playing them all against each other for a big paycheck. this is a player who perpetually cap-crippled the Colts. Say what you will about Brady, he took a below market deal to keep the Pats competitive. Manning is just super greedy. He can have a million endorsements, he wants 2 million.

While I think it's a bit much to say, "Manning sucks," I do agree with the rest of this post. He's 36, he's coming off a year out of football with a serious neck issue, and he's going to want to set some sort of record with his next (and almost certainly last) contract.

I believe they passed on Manning, and believe it's the right decision.

I believe him 100%.. They were negotiating the Sanchez deal way before Manning was released , and Manning is now adding new teams to the mix like TN, theres little chance he gave them a firm no like he did the redskins

Good for them I guess, but if Sanchez fails Tanny and maybe Rex will be shown the door .. As it should in Tanny's case...frankly

Pretty much my thoughts exactly, Tanny and to a lesser extent Rex, have their future tied to Sanchez. The only way they could have avoided that was dumping Sanchez for Manning OR drafting another QB this year to start getting ready to take over the next time Sanchez sh*ts the bed. Given the extension they just handed him, both of those options went away. If Sanchez fails to deliver, Tanny is as good as gone while there's a chance, given the success he had straight out of the gate, Rex will be given one last shot with a new GM in place.

Why is owner such a freaking Chatty Cathy? It does no one, certainly not him, any good. Stay in the background and let Mikey T stutter and stammer some nonsense about "process".

It;'s a public vote of confidence for his tender fragile little tulip of a QB... i don't see the problem, other then having a tender, fragile little tulip at QB, of course

I won't go that far....who knows how his rehab has been? Honestly, he is one of the best I have ever seen. However, yes! He is an a@@hole! Add the fact that he's the FIRST one to throw a teammate under the bus when things don't go his way.

You people act like he really had a choice. Please!

Any team that is not 100% at the qb position, that did not at least "kick the tires" on talking with Manning would be foolish. That does not preclude that the Jets expected, or even wanted to do a deal with manning. Any team would, provided need and a realistic contract.

At the end of the day, Johnson put his money where where his mouth was. That is all anyone can ask of an owner.

Any team that is not 100% at the qb position, that did not at least "kick the tires" on talking with Manning would be foolish. That does not preclude that the Jets expected, or even wanted to do a deal with manning. Any team would, provided need and a realistic contract.

At the end of the day, Johnson put his money where where his mouth was. That is all anyone can ask of an owner.

If I were a Jets fan, I'd have no problem with his ultimate decision. But I would take offense in the press release implying that they 'walked away' from PM. It's an insult to a fans intelligence.

If I were a Jets fan, I'd have no problem with his ultimate decision. But I would take offense in the press release implying that they 'walked away' from PM. It's an insult to a fans intelligence.

You don't know that, I don't know that.

Maybe, again maybe, they approached Manning's "people" and asked "what would the parameters of a possible deal with Peyton to the Jets look like?". Maybe that was not within their appetite and said, "thank you , but no thank you".

We do know that before, when the Jets wanted something, they did not give up until it was totally dead (Favre, Asomugha). So this does not seem totally out of the realm of possibility.

Maybe, maybe not. Clearly Woody is in their corner. Its not like they havent been the most successful regime since, god knows when...

Archived