Woody Johnson: Jets Passed on Manning

flgreen

Maybe, maybe not. Clearly Woody is in their corner. Its not like they havent been the most successful regime since, god knows when...

top of the bottom.. who gives a sh*t..

And since Parcells... 1998 they were legit contenders, had a bye and hosted a divisional round game, we barely made the playoffs in 09 and 10

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Link?

Manning never visited the Jets and its known that he does not like Rex and his big mouth.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/jets-give-mark-sanchez-fiveyear-extension-after-peyton-flirtation-falls-short-636186.html

But the Jets kept the door to Manning open all along. The team called Manning's representatives this week while still negotiating with Sanchez. A team source said the Jets wanted to see Manning's interest level in the team but things never got serious between the two sides. Once Manning made it clear the Jets were not one of his finalists, they moved to secure Sanchez.

Manning never visited the Jets and its known that he does not like Rex and his big mouth.

http://www.prosports...ort-636186.html

But the Jets kept the door to Manning open all along. The team called Manning's representatives this week while still negotiating with Sanchez. A team source said the Jets wanted to see Manning's interest level in the team but things never got serious between the two sides. Once Manning made it clear the Jets were not one of his finalists, they moved to secure Sanchez.

that's speculation and doesn't make sense.. If the Jets were all in on Manning they wouldn't have been negotiatiing with Sanchez, and I don't for a second believe Tannenbaum would take no for an anser so easily, if they were gungho

Manning refused to visit the Jets.

Exactly...

I'm sorry kids but Peyton Manning has never had the desire to be a member of the New York Jets.

I'm happy over it & anyone who feels that we need a "WIN RIGHT NOW" attitude about this team seeks only instant gratification & can not understand that fandom is not which way the wind blows.

The over "30" fans & season ticket holders agree with your decision Woody!

- Plain & Simply put!

that's speculation and doesn't make sense.. If the Jets were all in on Manning they wouldn't have been negotiatiing with Sanchez, and I don't for a second believe Tannenbaum would take no for an anser so easily, if they were gungho

Why would you let a crazy thing like logic get in the way of some good ole fashioned Jets bashing?

top of the bottom.. who gives a sh*t..

And since Parcells... 1998 they were legit contenders, had a bye and hosted a divisional round game, we barely made the playoffs in 09 and 10

Woody gives a sh*t. You don think the success and headlines makes him money? I give a sh*t. Those 2 seasons and playoff runs were the most fun I've ever had as a fan. Hard Knocks was awesome. Without this regime, we dont have those memories. As a fan of a sh*t franchise, I appreciate that.

Parcells was and is a merc. He turned things around and will forever appreciate that but he was never a long term solution. Rex IMO is. The guy's been a coach for 3 years, he's never had a losing season and was a game from the SB twice. Not very many coaches have immediate success like that. I bet he has a longer leash than you think or at least I hope. IMO with Rex, the Jets can beat anyone. Thats how good of a coach he is...thats a rare quality in a head coach. With the right pieces (a QB) its deadly.

Woody gives a sh*t. You don think the success and headlines makes him money? I give a sh*t. Those 2 seasons and playoff runs were the most fun I've ever had as a fan. Hard Knocks was awesome. Without this regime, we dont have those memories. As a fan of a sh*t franchise, I appreciate that.

Parcells was and is a merc. He turned things around and will forever appreciate that but he was never a long term solution. Rex IMO is. The guy's been a coach for 3 years, he's never had a losing season and was a game from the SB twice. Not very many coaches have immediate success like that. I bet he has a longer leash than you think or at least I hope. IMO with Rex, the Jets can beat anyone. Thats how good of a coach he is...thats a rare quality in a head coach. With the right pieces (a QB) its deadly.

WHen did we get one of them?

Rex's downfall is very likely to be his crush on Sanchez and his well manicured feet

Please Woody ol' boy. Your people contacted Mannings people&you were told to go take a flyin leap. You passed on Manning after his posse said uhuh,not happening man. So you signed Suckchez to an extension he did not deserve&also had no leverage,just to not hurt his feelings.So special. I tell you what Woody,if your boy Sanchez looks like the same QB he did against NewEngland twice,Baltimore,Philly&Miami (last game of season),you should refund the entire fan base cause you ****ed up!

Restructuring the Sanchez created 6 mil of cap space that NY would need to sign Manning. The Jets were all in on Manning right down to bringing in Tom Moore last season. Every chance he got, Rex couldnt kiss Mannings pole enough on how great he is.

Manning would not even visit KC or the Jets. The whole courtship never got off the ground.

Restructuring the Sanchez created 6 mil of cap space that NY would need to sign Manning. The Jets were all in on Manning right down to bringing in Tom Moore last season. Every chance he got, Rex couldnt kiss Mannings pole enough on how great he is.

Manning would not even visit KC or the Jets. The whole courtship never got off the ground.

You are crazy, so they guaranteed 205 M to Sanchez over the next two seasons in order to sign Manning. You do realize what that word guarantee means, right?

THey just had a chance, and they signed up for 2 more years of Sanchez.. if he doesn't develop, rex is a failure

I'm not so sure about that, just because at this point, I think Tanny is a lot closer to seeing the door than Rex is, barring any further in-season meltdowns. Even with Sanchez's guarantees next year, if he plays like crap again this season, I wouldn't be surprised if they hit QB in the draft again next year, letting the guy sit there ready to take over at some point in 2013 before kicking Sanchez's a$$ to the curb after that season.

You are crazy, so they guaranteed 205 M to Sanchez over the next two seasons in order to sign Manning. You do realize what that word guarantee means, right?

LOLZ

Smoke and mirrors. Sanchez was on the books for approximately 12 mil this season anyway. What choice did the Jets have this season with no Manning? They couldnt cut Sanchez.

For an extra $2.75 million, Sanchez gave the Jets three straight option years, allowing the team to keep him if he finally realizes his full potential — and to cut him without further investment after the 2013 season, the 2014 season, or the 2015 season.

The contract also could be called a glorified restructuring. Per a source with knowledge of the details, Sanchez’s $11.75 million base salary for 2012 has been converted to an $8 million signing bonus, a fully-guaranteed base salary of $3.25 million, and a $500,000 workout bonus.

The move creates $6.4 million in 2012 cap space.

In 2013, Sanchez will receive a fully-guaranteed base salary of $8.25 million. In 2014, Sanchez is due to receive a $2 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the league year and a non-guaranteed $9 million base salary. In 2015, there’s another $1 million roster bonus due on the 15th day of the league year, plus a non-guaranteed base salary of $12.5 million. In 2016, Sanchez is due another $1 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the league yeaar, plus a base salary of $10.75 million. Workout bonuses of $500,000 apply in each year of the deal.

LOLZ

Smoke and mirrors. Sanchez was on the books for approximately 12 mil this season anyway. What choice did the Jets have this season with no Manning? They couldnt cut Sanchez.

For an extra $2.75 million, Sanchez gave the Jets three straight option years, allowing the team to keep him if he finally realizes his full potential — and to cut him without further investment after the 2013 season, the 2014 season, or the 2015 season.

The contract also could be called a glorified restructuring. Per a source with knowledge of the details, Sanchez’s $11.75 million base salary for 2012 has been converted to an $8 million signing bonus, a fully-guaranteed base salary of $3.25 million, and a $500,000 workout bonus.

The move creates $6.4 million in 2012 cap space.

In 2013, Sanchez will receive a fully-guaranteed base salary of $8.25 million. In 2014, Sanchez is due to receive a $2 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the league year and a non-guaranteed $9 million base salary. In 2015, there’s another $1 million roster bonus due on the 15th day of the league year, plus a non-guaranteed base salary of $12.5 million. In 2016, Sanchez is due another $1 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the league yeaar, plus a base salary of $10.75 million. Workout bonuses of $500,000 apply in each year of the deal.

The only smoke here is coming out of your ears

They could've saved 9M by cutting him outright

This.

Good to see you posting.

Jets let it be known they were "looking into" Manning, but didn't make the hard sell because they didn't want him. They went through the motions to satiate the fan base.

Removing Schotty, while done gently, still cost them money. Money they probably consider part of the investment in Sanchez. Hiring Sparano cost them money. Also, money they consider part of the investment in Sanchez. The hired a new WR coach. Again, investment in Sanchez. Then the extend Sanchez. Anyone that can't do the math on this is just plain dumb.

We'll see what happens. However, from a pure business standpoint - you don't dump all that money into something and then pull the plug on a whim. Manning was NEVER going to happen.

Or, the negotiations with Sanchez were always Plan B, as the timing of the actual signing would seem to point to. The day they announced the Sanchez extension was also the day that Mortensen announced that the Redskins were told they had no shot. It's not too far a leap to think that the Jets got a similar call. If Manning called Tannenbaum that morning and told him he was dying to play here., the proposed Sanchez extension instantly hits the shredder.

Or, the negotiations with Sanchez were always Plan B, as the timing of the actual signing would seem to point to. The day they announced the Sanchez extension was also the day that Mortensen announced that the Redskins were told they had no shot. It's not too far a leap to think that the Jets got a similar call. If Manning called Tannenbaum that morning and told him he was dying to play here., the proposed Sanchez extension instantly hits the shredder.

Then why was there no announcement about the Jets being turned down? We've seen Tanny in action when he really wants something, they did everything they could to get Favre, including trading for him before he agreed to report. Why bother working on an extension at all if you are gung ho on Manning. Just don't see it. Sanchez was plan A from the get go. These guys drafted him, they are both arrogant as hell and weren't going to admit they were wrong so quickly. Plus, I think Rex has an genuine affinity for the kid, and obviously thinks (knows) he can win with him since in his head he was a c-hair away from teh SB 2 times

Then why was there no announcement about the Jets being turned down? We've seen Tanny in action when he really wants something, they did everything they could to get Favre, including trading for him before he agreed to report. Why bother working on an extension at all if you are gung ho on Manning. Just don't see it. Sanchez was plan A from the get go. These guys drafted him, they are both arrogant as hell and weren't going to admit they were wrong so quickly. Plus, I think Rex has an genuine affinity for the kid, and obviously thinks (knows) he can win with him since in his head he was a c-hair away from teh SB 2 times

Why would the Jets announce that Manning laughed them off? By keeping it hush hush, they got to save face and avoid hurting Sanchez's feelings.

We'll see what happens. However, from a pure business standpoint - you don't dump all that money into something and then pull the plug on a whim. Manning was NEVER going to happen.

But who really thought it was? That's what I don't get. Anyone who was paying any attention at all knows how invested they are in Sanchez. Who legitimately thought the Jets were going to land Peyton Manning? I mean it was a nice pipe dream, but I never really thought they would. Who did? Besides Rich Cimini, who figured that was the Jets super!secret!agenda! from midseason forward.

Why would the Jets announce that Manning laughed them off? By keeping it hush hush, they got to save face and avoid hurting Sanchez's feelings.

sheesh.. you just said the Redskins announcement.. i was using your terminology.. no report ever surfaced about Mannign refusing to play here.. bugger off

Cut Sanchez and start who at QB?

There was no other move for the Jets to make.

:palmface:

You're point was that they were remogotiating with Sanchez in order to cut him for Manning, once that was disproven, you've moved on to I don't know what..

you are klack brained

You've really gone off the deep end haven't you? I know your hatred for this team's front office knows no bounds, but this past week has been a whole new level of ridiculousness. You've actually gotten to the point of completely fabricating reasons to trash them now. I mean geez, it's not like there's not enough legitimate reasons out there.

You've really gone off the deep end haven't you? I know your hatred for this team's front office knows no bounds, but this past week has been a whole new level of ridiculousness. You've actually gotten to the point of completely fabricating reasons to trash them now. I mean geez, it's not like there's not enough legitimate reasons out there.

More plausible?

A) Rex, after much deliberation, determines that he wants Mark Sanchez more than Peyton Manning.

-or-

B ) Manning just didn't want to be a Jet.

Archived