Jets Interested in Cotch

MTJ06

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither.

While I don't want the Jets counting on either guy as the answer for their WR issues, I do like the idea of having a cheap option who you can get by with before heading into the draft. It keeps from the Jets having to reach out of desperation and gives them the chance to groom someone if they need it, as opposed to throwing them straight into the starting lineup whether or not they're ready. Given their apparent interest in both of those guys, it also seems the Jets are trying to get Sanchez another player he's familiar with. I think Braylon would be a decent option in that regard, as long as the money's low and the Jets are still looking for another young, future player to bring in come draft time.

Do we want to get younger and more athletic or older and broken down

No reason you can't do both. Kerley isn't leaving the slot and you're not counting on Turner as your #2. So bringing in someone else at least gives the Jets a little more freedom come draft time and even beyond that. This team has a bad history of leaving spots wide open that they just assume a rookie or another young, unproven player is going to fill in just fine, so it's not the worst thing in the world to get a guy who you know you can throw into the spot, while still going for that young player, just in case the young guy isn't quite ready to handle the job. I can get not thinking Cotch should be that guy (I certainly get that), but I don't think it's a bad idea to get someone like that in here.

So the team tries to bring in some vets to clean up the locker room, and the SOJ crowd complains about that too....too funny

Ah yes... Obviously...

There is a long history of 4th WR's coming in and cleaning up the locker room in this league. That's a much better strategy than winning.

JETS will have three #3WR's on the team. Kerley, Turner, Cotch. Who wouldn't like that!

Still waiting for a #1 WR though.

Four, by my count. You left out our best #3 receiver, Santonio Holmes. That's all he ever was or will be. At his best, he's Jeremy Kerley with better hands.

Yeah, it's sad.

I would like to see Cotchery brought back. He's still got a little left, and it gives us more depth, which we need desperately at that position. However, it really is tough to see just where he fits in. He can't stretch the field and we already have Jeremy, so what would he do... back Jeremy up?

Aside from the obvious cap ramifications that completely eliminate the chance of getting rid of Holmes, we need to remember that he is one of our best offensive players...

And who gave him that deal without any clauses in the deal for good and professional behavior, specially since his last team parted ways with him for cheap compensation ?

And who gave him that deal without any clauses in the deal for good and professional behavior, specially since his last team parted ways with him for cheap compensation ?

If you are trying to get me to defend the amount of money that Mr. T gave him, you're not going to hear it from me. My point is that it benefits no one by slamming him all offseason and into next season. If we are going to be good next year, Holmes is going to have to be a big part of it. Holmes has done at least as much good here as he has done bad.

Four, by my count. You left out our best #3 receiver, Santonio Holmes. That's all he ever was or will be. At his best, he's Jeremy Kerley with better hands.

Yeah, it's sad.

Whoa, whoa... hold on one damn second there, buddy.

In what world does Holmes have better hands than Kerley?

If you are trying to get me to defend the amount of money that Mr. T gave him, you're not going to hear it from me. My point is that it benefits no one by slamming him all offseason and into next season. If we are going to be good next year, Holmes is going to have to be a big part of it. Holmes has done at least as much good here as he has done bad.

It does send a message to the team that dive like behavior will not be tolerated. Point being if that was the teams highest priority it would have been done!

????

I really don't understand you guys lately...

This signing would be desperation imo. It would be retarded. Retarded like, trade Lowery then want him back retarded. Starting to lose faith in the FO that these guys don't know what the **** they're doing. That there's no long term plan and the decision making is sporadic and lacks zero foresight. You released the guy last yea because he wanted out to go sit on the bench in Pittsburg. I loved Cotch too but it's ******* over, let it go.

This signing would be desperation imo. It would be retarded. Retarded like, trade Lowery then want him back retarded. Starting to lose faith in the FO that these guys don't know what the **** they're doing. That there's no long term plan and the decision making is sporadic and lacks zero foresight. You released the guy last yea because he wanted out to go sit on the bench in Pittsburg. I loved Cotch too but it's ******* over, let it go.

+1

Does this make me a bad fan?

Cotchery would consider return to Jets

March, 14, 2012

Mar 14

2:09

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Jerricho Cotchery, 2.0?

The former Jets wide receiver, an unrestricted free agent after one season with the Steelers, said Wednesday that he'd consider a return to the Jets.

"Yeah, I'm open to it," Cotchery told ESPNNewYork.com. "I'm open to all possibilities. I don't close doors. I'm not that type of dude."

Cotchery said two teams have expressed interest in him, but he declined to name the teams other than to say the Steelers want him back. The Jets have shown interest, according to the Daily News.

The popular wide receiver requested his released last August, right around the time the Jets were courting Derrick Mason. A number of factors contributed to Cotchery's desire to leave; he felt unappreciated after the additions of Santonio Holmes and, later, Plaxico Burress and he wanted a contract extension.

After trying to trade Cotchery, the Jets finally gave him his wish -- and they got burned because his quiet leadership was sorely missed.

Cotchery, who turns 30 in June, didn't see a lot of playing time last seaosn and finished with only 16 catches for 237 yards and two touchdowns, although he made a clutch TD grab in the playoffs.

From a schematic standpoint, Cotchery doesn't appear to be the best fit for the Jets. He's at his best in the slot, and they already have an emerging slot receiver in Jeremy Kerley. Cotchery could be a No. 4 receiver (Patrick Turner currently is pencilled in there), but he doesn't play special teams and that hurts.

The Jets are looking for a starting-caliber receiver to play opposite Holmes. They're showing interest in Chaz Schilens (Raiders), but he has been a career backup. They also haven't ruled out the possibility of re-signing Braylon Edwards, according to a source.

Archived