Fiedler Expected to Join the Jets

Smizzy

FIELDER EXPECTED TO JOIN JETS

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

March 11, 2005 -- No one needed to show Jay Fiedler around, considering he's from Oceanside, L.I., just a tight spiral away from Weeb Ewbank Hall, where the Jets complex is located.

Fiedler last night hung out at the upscale Garden City Hotel with Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles and, as early as today, is expected to be the Jets' new backup quarterback.

Fiedler, the 33-year old former Dolphins starter, during yesterday's visit met Herm Edwards and new offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger and appears willing to accept a No. 2 role with his hometown team.

"He's excited . . . he had a great visit," Fiedler's agent, Brian Levy, told The Post last night.

Details of the contract were in the process of getting worked out and Levy said, "Both sides are motivated to get this done."

The bid by the Jets to land a young and emerging pass-catching tight end failed when the Broncos matched the offer for Jeb Putzier and the Jets' attempt to engineer a trade for him also missed the mark.

The Jets signed Putzier to a five-year, $12.5 million offer sheet, including a $2.5 million signing bonus. If the Broncos did not match the offer, they would have received a sixth-round draft pick from the Jets as compensation. Once the Broncos matched, the deal wasn't dead, as both sides tried to work out a trade, with the Broncos asking for a high draft pick

Also the Jets are not willing to part with the high draft pick the broncos want for Putzier.

Good, I'd offer them a 4th and nothing more.

Is Putzier worth a third? Probably. But could we have had it him for a six if we'd offered a little more cash up front? Yes.

I'd love to have Putzier, but not at the expense of getting fleeced. They can take our third round pick and shove it up their Rocky Mountain asses.

Guess that answers the question on Bollinger. Fiedler has the poise and skills to take us through some games if Chad goes down. I'd rather have an iron clad insurance policy then play riverboat gambler on QC's recovery and Bolly's ability to get the job done for multiple games if necessary.

I like it.

You know, I was thinking that this potential QB tandem - Penny and Fiedler....sure does give the Jets the best one-two punch in regards to having the biggest ears. Do you think, in late December when the wind gusts at the Meadowlands are high, that if the two of them stand back to back and lock arms, they may be able to fly?

You know, I was thinking that this potential QB tandem - Penny and Fiedler....sure does give the Jets the best one-two punch in regards to having the biggest ears. Do you think, in late December when the wind gusts at the Meadowlands are high, that if the two of them stand back to back and lock arms, they may be able to fly?

:lol:

Fly on to winning the AFC East crown. :wink:

Archived