Finding a Safety (or 2)

Integrity28

Here is the Scout.com list of FA safeties

It doesn't say who is signed yet, or where. I'm thinking we absolutely need to bring in 2. Reggie Nelson better not leave here without a contract when he visits. I love the idea of Reggie Nelson + LaRon Landry back there. Not sure if there's cap room for it, but it would be great.

I think Reggie Nelson at FS and Eric Smith at SS, still leaves us with a hole in our coverage. Perhaps there's a starting-ready SS in the draft? I dunno. I think there's a couple of veteran safeties out there that could come cheap, and would prefer that route.

Reggie Nelson at FS and someone like Sean Jones at SS. Jones has been part of surprisingly good secondaries on bad teams everywhere he's played. This revamps the whole secondary. Keep Eric Smith, let Leonard walk like we did with Pool. I like Leonard, but he's hurt too often and too small to deal with Gronk and Hernandez in coverage.

2 safeties, 1 or 2 cheap WRs like Cotchery or Schilens, and a backup QB (I would work out Garrard first and foremost. If his back is healthy, he is a no-brainer for us.)

This, imo, should free up our draft a bit. Allowing us to consider a stud RB or WR early. Then OLB, ILB and OT later.

It doesn't say who is signed yet, or where. I'm thinking we absolutely need to bring in 2. Reggie Nelson better not leave here without a contract when he visits. I love the idea of Reggie Nelson + LaRon Landry back there. Not sure if there's cap room for it, but it would be great.

I think Reggie Nelson at FS and Eric Smith at SS, still leaves us with a hole in our coverage. Perhaps there's a starting-ready SS in the draft? I dunno. I think there's a couple of veteran safeties out there that could come cheap, and would prefer that route.

Reggie Nelson at FS and someone like Sean Jones at SS. Jones has been part of surprisingly good secondaries on bad teams everywhere he's played. This revamps the whole secondary. Keep Eric Smith, let Leonard walk like we did with Pool. I like Leonard, but he's hurt too often and too small to deal with Gronk and Hernandez in coverage.

2 safeties, 1 or 2 cheap WRs like Cotchery or Schilens, and a backup QB (I would work out Garrard first and foremost. If his back is healthy, he is a no-brainer for us.)

This, imo, should free up our draft a bit. Allowing us to consider a stud RB or WR early. Then OLB, ILB and OT later.

I'd love to see them sign Nelson and draft like a Harrison Smith or even Brandon Taylor who is probably more of a FS but a pretty physical and I think could play both.

Grabbing Nelson and Schillens would cap a very solid, albeit unspectacular free agency.

I could not agree more. Add a Cotch ( who I'm not in love with) or BE to that and I'm fine with it all. We have more picks this year than we've had in a very long time. We can truly change this team for the better with that. Adding Reggie Nelson is priority number one IMO

I'd love to see them sign Nelson and draft like a Harrison Smith or even Brandon Taylor who is probably more of a FS but a pretty physical and I think could play both.

Does anyone know what timw Nelson is visiting tomorrow? I want to keep refreshing my tweeeeter feeds every 5 seconds

i could see them getting a Brandon Taylor in the 4th or 5th. He didn't run well at Indy. He had the biggest hit of senior bowl week. He and Vick Ballard (another name I could see the Jets liking) had a demolition derby on Tuesday south practice.

yeah i like to draft that kid smith good size and ok speed

Harrison Smith sucks. Taylor is alright as an extra DB in the 5th.

Harrison Smith >>> Barron.

Taylor is the later rounds might be a steal.

i could see them getting a Brandon Taylor in the 4th or 5th. He didn't run well at Indy. He had the biggest hit of senior bowl week. He and Vick Ballard (another name I could see the Jets liking) had a demolition derby on Tuesday south practice.

I was surprised by his run. Thought he'd be faster. Still think he has great game speed and is very physical for someone projecting as FS.

OP I think I would be good with all of what you propose if we sign Winston as well. Which IMO gives up instant depth at O-Line with turner Hunter as back ups and throw Ducocky in the trash heap

Archived