Andy Pettitte is back!

THE ILK

When you can sign a guy like Andy Pettitte for $2.5 Million you do it. It's as if the Jets could sign Peyton, you just do it

Yeah, when he is only a few months removed from baseball. When he hung them up 18 months ago...not so much.

How bad is the pitching when he is a viable option?

.Time with the kids and all that family stuff-f___family.

Somewhat concerned that Pineda has pissed them off He throws 97 and instead of simply getting him to air it out, Rothschild has him work on a changeup. And they're shocked his velocity drops. Yankees' MO has been to sign and develop hard-throwers and then spend their time here trying to turn them into pitch-to-contact Greg Maddux clones.

Phil Hughes by the way is having a great spring. Including 4 shutout innings today.

It is not about the Sox homer. If the Sox brought back Wake I would be pissed.

You are supposed to have 5 starters. There is no compelling reason to bring Andy back. If this was a Rog-ah thing by bringing him back at mid-season, fine. Someone is not performing.

I am shocked by this. They could have used him last year and he could have made more money. I know it isn't about the money with him but this really seems like something he just decided. They said he wouldn't be ready to break camp...so he essentially is an emergency 5th starter.

Someone will get hurt. Maybe Nova won't be the same this year, who knows. So I am not complaining about having him back.

I hope he makes it, will be really cool for Mo, Jeter and Andy to win another one together!

I am shocked by this. They could have used him last year and he could have made more money. I know it isn't about the money with him but this really seems like something he just decided. They said he wouldn't be ready to break camp...so he essentially is an emergency 5th starter.

Someone will get hurt. Maybe Nova won't be the same this year, who knows. So I am not complaining about having him back.

I hope he makes it, will be really cool for Mo, Jeter and Andy to win another one together!

I think last year he was too afraid of the circus that would be waiting for him everday at the stadium due to the possibility of testifying in the Clemens roids thing.

Still, if Hughes and all the kid pitchers were all that, this is a curious signing. Maybe Pineda's velocity has them worried and Huges is slowly moving out of their long term plans.

Who'd a thought that Ian Kennedy would blow away the Generation Trey group of him, Hughes and Joba.

Kennedy has pitched well in the minors and nl. Neither means he could do it in ny. :)

People get hurt...starting pitching is gold. I dont think this is a shot against hughes. When a 5 time world series winner who i think has more postseaon wins than anybody else calls...you listen. You have a shot with no risk of adding a 240 game winner who is a lefty for 2.5 mm....yeah that is a no brainer.

Kennedy has pitched well in the minors and nl. Neither means he could do it in ny. :)

People get hurt...starting pitching is gold. I dont think this is a shot against hughes. When a 5 time world series winner who i think has more postseaon wins than anybody else calls...you listen. You have a shot with no risk of adding a 240 game winner who is a lefty for 2.5 mm....yeah that is a no brainer.

It is not a bad signing. Far from it. It is the epitome of a low risk-high reward signing

Maximus everything you say is true when operating in a vacuum. However, he is a year removed from pitching. Which means he is a year removed from any sort of training regimen for his arm. While I am sure the year off helped, he is not getting younger. Again, it is not a bad signing, but it is curious and does not send the greatest message to the youngsters.

It is not a bad signing. Far from it. It is the epitome of a low risk-high reward signing

Maximus everything you say is true when operating in a vacuum. However, he is a year removed from pitching. Which means he is a year removed from any sort of training regimen for his arm. While I am sure the year off helped, he is not getting younger. Again, it is not a bad signing, but it is curious and does not send the greatest message to the youngsters.

He might not work out. I am not denying that. I like that there is no risk for the Yankees if that is the case.

And if he starts off good and only makes it to June, he gets a 2.5 million dollar parting gift from the Yankees. I would be happy for him for that. Funny though, his wife was probably looking at him sitting around the house and thought what she could do with a quiet house and 2.5 million!

He might not work out. I am not denying that. I like that there is no risk for the Yankees if that is the case.

And if he starts off good and only makes it to June, he gets a 2.5 million dollar parting gift from the Yankees. I would be happy for him for that. Funny though, his wife was probably looking at him sitting around the house and thought what she could do with a quiet house and 2.5 million!

Word.

Too often I have learned that "Honey you know what we should do" ends up being "Honey you know what you are going to do".

Anyone see Bobby V's quote on Andy?

TAMPA — Andy Pettitte’s return created a buzz not only around Steinbrenner Field on Friday, but also 120 miles down I-75, where the Red Sox were hosting the Twins in Fort Myers.

But while praising the Yankees’ move, new Boston manager Bobby Valentine wondered whether Pettitte would return to the form that helped him win 240 games from 1995-2010.

“I don’t think he’s coming back to where he was. Call it a hunch,” Valentine said. “But he’s a good pitcher. Always respected Andy, always thought he was a borderline Hall of Famer. Add someone like that to your staff and you’re doing good.”

Valentine added, “I thought they had too much pitching before. Now what do they have? Too, too, too much pitching? He’s pretty good. Is he going to be a starter or just come in to pick people off?”

David Ortiz also liked the move for the Yankees, calling Pettitte a Hall of Famer based on his 240-138 record and lengthy postseason résumé.

“They need pitching. Everybody needs pitching,” said the Red Sox DH, a .361 hitter against Pettitte with one home run, 13 RBI and 15 strikeouts in 61 at-bats. “If you had a guy who is rested to come in and give you 10, 12 wins, that’s Andy’s situation, that would be a plus.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/boston-red-sox-bobby-valentne-laugh-return-yankees-andy-pettitte-article-1.1041240#ixzz1pUYxiOTX

Anyone see Bobby V's quote on Andy?

TAMPA — Andy Pettitte’s return created a buzz not only around Steinbrenner Field on Friday, but also 120 miles down I-75, where the Red Sox were hosting the Twins in Fort Myers.

But while praising the Yankees’ move, new Boston manager Bobby Valentine wondered whether Pettitte would return to the form that helped him win 240 games from 1995-2010.

“I don’t think he’s coming back to where he was. Call it a hunch,” Valentine said. “But he’s a good pitcher. Always respected Andy, always thought he was a borderline Hall of Famer. Add someone like that to your staff and you’re doing good.”

Valentine added, “I thought they had too much pitching before. Now what do they have? Too, too, too much pitching? He’s pretty good. Is he going to be a starter or just come in to pick people off?”

David Ortiz also liked the move for the Yankees, calling Pettitte a Hall of Famer based on his 240-138 record and lengthy postseason résumé.

“They need pitching. Everybody needs pitching,” said the Red Sox DH, a .361 hitter against Pettitte with one home run, 13 RBI and 15 strikeouts in 61 at-bats. “If you had a guy who is rested to come in and give you 10, 12 wins, that’s Andy’s situation, that would be a plus.”

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...0#ixzz1pUYxiOTX

I guess the theory is if you throw enough crap against the wall some is bound to stick.

I guess the theory is if you throw enough crap against the wall some is bound to stick.

They got rid of AJ. So which starter would you say is crap? Seems like a lot of quality, especially since Freddy Garcia is out of the mix now.

They got rid of AJ. So which starter would you say is crap? Seems like a lot of quality, especially since Freddy Garcia is out of the mix now.

After CC, which one would you bet your left nut on?

Kuroda? Kind of padded his numbers versus bad NL teams. Now, he is in the AL East where there are no easy games.

Pineda/Nova? Good young pitchers with upside, but they are not proven commodities. Could Nova with his 2011 1.33 WHIP have an AJ like 14-14? Yes. Pineda had some sough starts in the second half of the year. Did he get figured out? Time will tell.

Hughes? When is the future MM HofFer going to get going? Or is he career 1.30 WHIP as good as he is going to get?

Andy? Had a decent half season in 2010, but he has 3 starts since July 2010. He could be Andy or he could be Wake last year...bad.

That rotation should be known as CC and the Question Marks. They could be good or they could be horrible.

Archived