Drew Stanton Signed

MTJ06

Then lets follow that logic. If competition is good then if the Titans sign Peyton Manning they should also keep Matt Hasselbeck, because then they will get the best out of Manning.

and the Packers should try to trade for Drew Brees. Can you imagine how good Rogers would be with Brees challenging him for the starting spot?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah...because Sanchez is every bit as good as Rogers & Manning

that's such a ridiculous argument...

No it's a ridiculous argument that some guy who can also throw a football is going to make Sanchez a better quarterback. What because Kyle Orton is sitting on the bench and getting five throws in practice Mark is going to get it?

Either Mark gets it or he doesn't. There is not an alternative option.

The last thing this team needs is a quarterback controversy.

Sanchez was gonna get 14 in salary and roster bonuses this year. He basically got another 6. the rest of it is not guaranteed at all. manning is going to get alot more than Sanchez. and he's got nerve damage.

He went from 0 guaranteed to 20m

Should reworked his deal down and signed pfm

No it's a ridiculous argument that some guy who can also throw a football is going to make Sanchez a better quarterback. What because Kyle Orton is sitting on the bench and getting five throws in practice Mark is going to get it?

Either Mark gets it or he doesn't. There is not an alternative option.

The last thing this team needs is a quarterback controversy.

I'm definitely NOT on the Sanchez hate train like a lot of Jet fans...I think he's capable, and hopefully "the guy" that can get us where we want to be. But he's definitely NOT there yet. As a fan I want the best option out there so we can win games, not throw pick 6's.

Yes, there is an alternative option, and it's called a capable backup QB...which we still don't have.

...and what's wrong with a QB controversy???

I'm definitely NOT on the Sanchez hate train like a lot of Jet fans...I think he's capable, and hopefully "the guy" that can get us where we want to be. But he's definitely NOT there yet. As a fan I want the best option out there so we can win games, not throw pick 6's.

Yes, there is an alternative option, and it's called a capable backup QB...which we still don't have.

...and what's wrong with a QB controversy???

Ok I'm not accusing you of being on the Sanchez hate bandwagon, so lets get that aside.

Let's just think about teams that have had QB controversy's. Have they won the Super Bowl? No. That is the objective we have all agreed needs to be reached here.

We aren't talking about Sanchez's rookie year when he would be immature as to how to do everything necessary to be successful. He knows what he needs to do, he just needs to go do it.

It's a crazy thing to say but Mark really needs less pressure on him now so that he can just focus on the task at hand. Learn the playbook, inside and out. Then he can work on recognizing and calling protections, then learning to consistently manipulate coverages.

If he has to answer questions about whether he should be the QB of the team or the guy who is "pushing him" then he isn't focusing on the things he needs to improve at.

A QB controversy will divide the locker room. There is a notion that the locker room is already chaos, so why pour gasoline on the fire? The quickest way to settle it is to say there is ONE guy, and everyone needs to get on board or get off.

It's not what fans want to hear, but it's the unpleasant truth.

Ok I'm not accusing you of being on the Sanchez hate bandwagon, so lets get that aside.

Let's just think about teams that have had QB controversy's. Have they won the Super Bowl? No. That is the objective we have all agreed needs to be reached here.

We aren't talking about Sanchez's rookie year when he would be immature as to how to do everything necessary to be successful. He knows what he needs to do, he just needs to go do it.

It's a crazy thing to say but Mark really needs less pressure on him now so that he can just focus on the task at hand. Learn the playbook, inside and out. Then he can work on recognizing and calling protections, then learning to consistently manipulate coverages.

If he has to answer questions about whether he should be the QB of the team or the guy who is "pushing him" then he isn't focusing on the things he needs to improve at.

A QB controversy will divide the locker room. There is a notion that the locker room is already chaos, so why pour gasoline on the fire? The quickest way to settle it is to say there is ONE guy, and everyone needs to get on board or get off.

It's not what fans want to hear, but it's the unpleasant truth.

I get what you're saying...and forget competition for a minute, what if Sanchez gets hurt? Having a good veteran backup sure helped us in 98'

back to my original argument, I'd much rather have a guy like Orton than Stanton

I get what you're saying...and forget competition for a minute, what if Sanchez gets hurt? Having a good veteran backup sure helped us in 98'

back to my original argument, I'd much rather have a guy like Orton than Stanton

well there in lies the problem for every team. 90-95% of the teams don't have a back-up.

back-ups are better if they understand the system anyway. There isn't a team in the league that can get by long term without its starter.

I would have preferred Orton too but not at what the Cowboys paid him. I'd prefer that money go towards the safties and right tackle, then we might not even have to worry about the back-up

This. It's not about competition, it's about protection from Sanchez nose-diving the season if the defense is playing great.

The Jets aren't winning a Super Bowl with Orton or Garrard, so what the hell is the difference? Granted, in all likelihood they aren't going to with Sanchez either, but in his case there's at least the possibility, albeit slim, that he gets his sh*t together and becomes the player they thought he could be. No such thing exists with either of those two, they are known quantities of nothing more than mediocrity. All you're really doing is sinking more money into a backup position while causing a controversy about a QB you have absolutely no intentions of benching for at least one more year. Not to mention, if you ever do bench your QB for said backup and the backup plays half decently, you're right back to that ever-so-lovely mediocre QB situation (also known as the Pennington Effect). At this point all the Jets are looking for is a guy who can handle a few snaps if absolutely necessary. Unless you're bringing in a proven player you think you can win it all with, or someone who you think has a lot of upside, at this point I'm really not sure how much more than that is even worth the money. The only players out there right now that fit either category are Manning or Flynn and at this point, it's become quite clear neither is happening. You might as well either hand the reigns back to Sanchez fully and give him another go of it, or start looking for the next guy who you plan to do that with. Everything else is frankly a waste of time. My expectations for Sanchez have gotten quite low and I won't be surprised if the Jets are scouting themselves a QB this time next year, which I would be more than happy with, but there's nothing worth a damn that comes out of bringing in proven mediocrity at QB.

If Sanchez starts off 4 for 12 with a pick, Rex doesn't even have the option of thinking about pulling Sanchez now. If it's a big division game against New England and Mark is in the middle of one of his meltdowns, Rex just has to eat it. Tough spot there.

I have a lot of faith in Rex's ability to eat.

Would you guys rather have a starting safety or a backup QB? Because if we got a guy like Orton it would cost us money that could be well spent elsewhere. I will take Stanton and possibly Reggie Nelson over Orton anyday.

Well said

Think about it for a second. Everything he does is scrutinized and analyzed to infinite here in the New York market. How will some guy in practice who can also throw a ball, but is relegated to sitting on the bench really be beneficial.

I understand the notion of competition, better than most people, but when you are in New York, you can't take a break even for a second. The fans in essence provide the same competitive notion that a guy who could threaten his job would.

I really doubt that Mark is taking short cuts, because he doesn't have a "legitimate threat" to take his job.

Don't use logic... Haters are gonna hate and keep spewing the same bs...

Sanchez needs nobody to "push" him and even if they wanted to its not easy to find a qb who could legitimately fit that role... You would essentially have to have two starters.

This. It's not about competition, it's about protection from Sanchez nose-diving the season if the defense is playing great.

Sanchez isn't worse than he was two or three years ago, despite the strong opinions in here, and two and three years ago, Sanchez managed to get the Jets as far as the AFC Championship Game.

If the defense is playing great, the offense will be back to its ground and pound roots. Sanchez will be asked simply not to lose games, and rarely put in the position where he can.

There were not any real options for the Jets at the position, no matter how much people want to whine about it. Flynn's a ?, and I certainly wouldn't trust Manning's neck for a 5 year, $90M contract (or $60M, or whatever he eventually signs for). I'd've liked Campbell, and that's about it. And the Jets, obviously, want to give Sanchez as much of a chance to seize the position as possible. They've invested in the player, and they're going to give him every chance to succeed (read: coddle). For better or worse, that's what this year was going to be about no matter what he was being paid, or who the backup was going to be.

Sanchez isn't worse than he was two or three years ago, despite the strong opinions in here, and two and three years ago, Sanchez managed to get the Jets as far as the AFC Championship Game.

If the defense is playing great, the offense will be back to its ground and pound roots. Sanchez will be asked simply not to lose games, and rarely put in the position where he can.

There were not any real options for the Jets at the position, no matter how much people want to whine about it. Flynn's a ?, and I certainly wouldn't trust Manning's neck for a 5 year, $90M contract (or $60M, or whatever he eventually signs for). I'd've liked Campbell, and that's about it. And the Jets, obviously, want to give Sanchez as much of a chance to seize the position as possible. They've invested in the player, and they're going to give him every chance to succeed (read: coddle). For better or worse, that's what this year was going to be about no matter what he was being paid, or who the backup was going to be.

I keep reading about "going back to the Jets ground and pound ' roots but I have 2 questions:

1) Do you really have the personnel to be successful witha run first offense? Weak OL and even weaker RBs say no.

2) The rules now favor what was already a pass happy league. What makes you think the Jets can go against the trend and succeed?

I keep reading about "going back to the Jets ground and pound ' roots but I have 2 questions:

1) Do you really have the personnel to be successful witha run first offense? Weak OL and even weaker RBs say no.

2) The rules now favor what was already a pass happy league. What makes you think the Jets can go against the trend and succeed?

The Jets made it to the AFC Championship Game three years ago rushing for more yards than they gained thru the air. I hope they aren't that extreme this year, but it can be done despite the rules.

The Jets have maybe the best center in the NFL, a solid LT, one quality guard... They could use some improvements, but the building blocks are there. I'm not in love with Shonn Greene, but he's a pounder. We'll see what they do in the draft, but RB and OL would make a lot of sense.

The philosophy is really more about the defense than the offense, though. It's about limiting offensive mistakes, eating clock, and winning the field position battle.

And 2 or 3 years ago, he wasn't good enough. For Sanchez at his current level to win consistently, the defense needs to be perfect. You are not going to have your defense play perfect when you go on the road to Indy, then New England, then Pittsburgh. If you're looking for the fluke, it wasn't that the Jets didn't play great in the AFC Championship games, it's that they made it that far without much in the way of offense.

Unfortunately, even great defenses need their offenses to win games at times. The Jets may have a great defense next year, but lets not live under the delusion that it will be elite. They just don't have that kind of talent. So, sooner or later (usually later) the offense needs to step up. I think we saw that twice this year in Championship games, yet Jets fans keep deluding themselves that next year will be the year the ground and pound and defense wins a Super Bowl. Sorry, that NFL is pretty much gone.

As for the back-up, regardless of the fact that Sanchez is a pretty bad NFL QB (by most every statistical measure), the fact that the guy on this team who threw the 2nd most passes last season is Jeremy Kerley is problematic. As it's currently constructed, I don't think many people view this as a 12-13 win team... Now, lets say Sanchez goes down for two games, are you confident in Drew Stanton to keep us in the hunt until we get our starter back? Every game counts when you ask your starting QB simply not to lose. Remember, that 1st AFC Championship game required the Colts to lay down and then the Bengals to not really care either way. Might not get that lucky again.

The Jets made it to the AFC Championship Game three years ago rushing for more yards than they gained thru the air. I hope they aren't that extreme this year, but it can be done despite the rules.

The Jets have maybe the best center in the NFL, a solid LT, one quality guard... They could use some improvements, but the building blocks are there. I'm not in love with Shonn Greene, but he's a pounder. We'll see what they do in the draft, but RB and OL would make a lot of sense.

The philosophy is really more about the defense than the offense, though. It's about limiting offensive mistakes, eating clock, and winning the field position battle.

No offense, but the Jets made the playoffs 3 years ago because the Colts layed down at the end of the season and rested their starters in the second half. Sure, they did reasonably well with th opportunity, but it's not like they 'grounded and pounded' their way in.

No offense, but the Jets made the playoffs 3 years ago because the Colts layed down at the end of the season and rested their starters in the second half. Sure, they did reasonably well with th opportunity, but it's not like they 'grounded and pounded' their way in.

Okay, I now recognize that you're simply a troll, and I will ignore you accordingly.

no offense, bu the past* haven't won sh*t since they got caught cheating.

Okay, I now recognize that you're simply a troll, and I will ignore you accordingly.

Why is that not a fair point?

The reality of it is, ground and pound is on life support at best as far as a means of winning in this league. You can win games while asking your QB to "just don't screw it up", but championships are hardly won that way anymore.

And 2 or 3 years ago, he wasn't good enough. For Sanchez at his current level to win consistently, the defense needs to be perfect. You are not going to have your defense play perfect when you go on the road to Indy, then New England, then Pittsburgh. If you're looking for the fluke, it wasn't that the Jets didn't play great in the AFC Championship games, it's that they made it that far without much in the way of offense.

Unfortunately, even great defenses need their offenses to win games at times. The Jets may have a great defense next year, but lets not live under the delusion that it will be elite. They just don't have that kind of talent. So, sooner or later (usually later) the offense needs to step up. I think we saw that twice this year in Championship games, yet Jets fans keep deluding themselves that next year will be the year the ground and pound and defense wins a Super Bowl. Sorry, that NFL is pretty much gone.

As for the back-up, regardless of the fact that Sanchez is a pretty bad NFL QB (by most every statistical measure), the fact that the guy on this team who threw the 2nd most passes last season is Jeremy Kerley is problematic. As it's currently constructed, I don't think many people view this as a 12-13 win team... Now, lets say Sanchez goes down for two games, are you confident in Drew Stanton to keep us in the hunt until we get our starter back? Every game counts when you ask your starting QB simply not to lose. Remember, that 1st AFC Championship game required the Colts to lay down and then the Bengals to not really care either way. Might not get that lucky again.

I'm not predicting anything. I don't think anyone here is predicting a Super Bowl for next year's Jets. You can argue that with a different straw man.

What great QB's did they miss out on? It's not like there were a ton available. Repeating the same complaints over and over again don't really offer anything constructive. It's boring. Without consulting the fans, the Jets have committed themselves to Sanchez for another year. That was always going to be their plan. Perhaps if they were equally convinced as some fans that Sanchez will always suck AND there was a veteran QB that offered a guaranteed upgrade they would've gone in another direction. But that wasn't the case this year.

I'm not predicting anything. I don't think anyone here is predicting a Super Bowl for next year's Jets. You can argue that with a different straw man.

What great QB's did they miss out on? It's not like there were a ton available. Repeating the same complaints over and over again don't really offer anything constructive. It's boring. Without consulting the fans, the Jets have committed themselves to Sanchez for another year. That was always going to be their plan. Perhaps if they were equally convinced as some fans that Sanchez will always suck AND there was a veteran QB that offered a guaranteed upgrade they would've gone in another direction. But that wasn't the case this year.

Interesting that you would pull the "straw man" card when I never said predictions. The point about "next year" is the idea that for years ground and pound in the NFL is not getting it done, yet we keep thinking that we can do it. Is it possible? Of course. Would I rather not try to be the statistical anomaly? Uh, yeah.

Jason Campbell, Kyle Orton, and Chad Henne were all available. We've yet to see a season where Mark Sanchez hasn't had a significant meltdown... It doesn't seem smart for a team that talks about being a contender not to have some kind of contingency against that. Those three guys may not be great QBs, and if you want to make the argument that Sanchez is better than all of them, it's not one I find worth countering. However, the fact remains, no matter how bad Mark Sanchez plays, and we've seen pretty bad, he'll still play. There is no accountability, unless you buy the idea that he's accountable to the fans and the media because it's NY, but that's pretty much nonsense. Then, there's the idea that he could get hurt for the short term, and you have no one who's played in a long time to get us past a 3 game stretch without him.

Archived