Michael Lombardi just tweeted Laron Landry to Jets (Merged X4)

pointman

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

#Jets are trying to sign S LaRon Landry: source. He arrived yesterday for visit. Also visited NE. Could be best available safety.

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

For what it's worth, Landry had an overnight visit with the #Jets. Toured team facility this morning.

Naturally, many of you sissy Mary's will cry about this. But I am pretty pleased with this signing. Low risk move, and it solves half of our "roster full of sh*tty safeties" problem.

For what we are paying him I think its a good move, but we still need a safety who is good in coverage. Landry is huge, looks like a LB, and can come up and stop the run, where a guy like Otogwe and Nelson are better in coverage, something our Safeties lacked the last few seasons.

No way. I was going to say 3-4M, anything over 4 would have been overpaying. I solid deal, can't complain.

Agreed. Would have been nice to get him for a little less, but the guy was never going to sign for the vet minimum. Given that it's a one year deal there's really next to no risk for the Jets here. I have to imagine they felt comfortable with his health situation, and considering the Jets current safety situation it is, health permitting, a massive upgrade. It will also be interesting to see the structure, as depending on how much is up front/guaranteed vs incentive based it might be better than it sounds.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

LaRon Landry reached agreement with the Jets on a one-year, $4 million deal.

Sounds like the same amount as the Eric Winston/Chiefs contract...Why did we not sign him to play RT and block Mario Williams....

The same reason many of the guys here are complaining about Landry: injuries.

FWIW, I still wouldn't be surprised to see us target safety in the first or second round, as Landry will be gone for bigger money next year if he performs well and stays healthy and we still need a FS.

For what we are paying him I think its a good move, but we still need a safety who is good in coverage. Landry is huge, looks like a LB, and can come up and stop the run, where a guy like Otogwe and Nelson are better in coverage, something our Safeties lacked the last few seasons.

Agreed. Can't complain too much, but we definitely need to get someone who can cover the middle of the field better.

By the standards of what we are paying for Cro this seems like a dollar store bargain! :)

P.S: The desperation shows!

4M for 1 year sounds about right. The Polamalu's and Reed's are around 6.5-8. The ancient Brian Dawkins around 6M. Honestly they needed to sign him. If they slightly overpaid by $300,000 does it really matter. Pending the achilles he still has potential to become a star in this D.

4M for 1 year sounds about right. The Polamalu's and Reed's are around 6.5-8. The ancient Brian Dawkins around 6M. Honestly they needed to sign him. If they slightly overpaid by $300,000 does it really matter. Pending the achilles he still has potential to become a star in this D.

That is the key!

Archived