Michael Lombardi just tweeted Laron Landry to Jets (Merged X4)

pointman

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The same reason many of the guys here are complaining about Landry: injuries.

FWIW, I still wouldn't be surprised to see us target safety in the first or second round, as Landry will be gone for bigger money next year if he performs well and stays healthy and we still need a FS.

It's a good signing if he can stay healthy (and doesn't get popped for roids)

Also, a safety in the later rounds, sure. First or second would be a mistake.

The same reason many of the guys here are complaining about Landry: injuries.

FWIW, I still wouldn't be surprised to see us target safety in the first or second round, as Landry will be gone for bigger money next year if he performs well and stays healthy and we still need a FS.

I can still see us going safety in the draft, but I hope we don't try to fill the RT spot with a rookie, especially with Mario Williams in the division now. Hunter/Ducasse is not the answer there and I would rather have them find a reliable veteran to fill that void

I have to assume the deal is worth $4 - but incentive laden, as I suggested in my illustrious plan thread.

Otherwise, if that achilles bursts... we're ****ed.

Psyched about the ceiling of this move though, and the thought of extending him if he pans out.

Yeah hence the 1 year deal and look at the rest of the talent pool either via FA or draft...it was a good signing.

Good signing. Like you said, the issue will be if his Achilles holds up, not how much they paid him.

Tell you what, Cro, Landry, Revis, Wilson would be a pretty nifty tandem at least on paper. Could they deal with 2 to 3, what would be 15 yard runs turning into 75 yard TD scampers b/c Cro whiffed the tackle? Cause besides that it could be a pretty formidable all around bunch. At least star quality wise.

Naturally, many of you sissy Mary's will cry about this. But I am pretty pleased with this signing. Low risk move, and it solves half of our "roster full of sh*tty safeties" problem.

I like the deal, it is only 1 year so we are not married to him outside of 2012 so if that achillies acts up no big deal IMO, it's 1 and done, the Jets needed 2 starting safety's, we still have a player in Smith who can play SS if Landry gets hurt, not ideal, but atleast it's a backup plan.

The big concern I have is the Jets don't have a starting FS, or a backup FS, so signing Atogwe isn't enough they need a backup for him in the very good chance he gets injured someone can step in, this either brings Jimmy Leohnard back or/and drafting a FS (not Barron) in rounds 2-3.

I also like the idea that someone else brought up (maybe Bitoni not sure) of drafting Kirkpatrick at 16 if he is WILLING to play FS, don't draft him, and then tell him oh by the way your a Safety here, sit down with him pre-draft let him know you are interested in him at FS, and ask him how he would feel about that sort of move, if he is very responsive to the idea (not just saying yes sir no problem sir, actually excited about playing FS for the NYJ's) then if he is there at 16 you pull the trigger. His scouting report jumps out as a great FS prospect, and is big enough, and physical enough to cover a Gronkowski man to man, and has great ability to see the field read the QB, and make instinctual plays from anywhere on the field, he would have to work on his ball skills, that's one knock on him is locating the ball on deep passes, but that's from CB, it's a little different from the FS position.

Landry, and a willing Kirkpatrick could be real intriguing duo.

Tell you what, Cro, Landry, Revis, Wilson would be a pretty nifty tandem at least on paper. Could they deal with 2 to 3, what would be 15 yard runs turning into 75 yard TD scampers b/c Cro whiffed the tackle? Cause besides that it could be a pretty formidable all around bunch. At least star quality wise.

Still need a rangy free safety. OJ, Sean Jones, Chris Hope would be my top 3. There's actually a couple out there worth bringing in on the cheap:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/track.html

Landry wanted the one year contract to prove his worth for the next contract year.

If he stays healthy and matches his best year, this is a big win.

While this does not solve our need for a better cover safety, we are halfway there.

Maybe we go after Jarrett Bush who was a part time safety with CB coverage skills, that may come cheap...a good ying to this yang.

Let's Go Jets!

Still need a rangy free safety. OJ, Sean Jones, Chris Hope would be my top 3. There's actually a couple out there worth bringing in on the cheap:

http://www.footballs...2/fa/track.html

They might have to look to the draft by converting a corner to safety like Alfonzo Dennard for that (possibly in the 2nd).

The OP (original poster) got beaten up for it but a guy like Dre Kirkpatrick in the first is still an outside possibility imo...although my money is still on a passrusher there.

[One thing we know is that Landry will hit the sh*t out of a TE. The must sign of the two safeties and they got it done without overpaying. Another quietly solid move by the FO.

Landry should be a very good player for this D next year. Most talented safety the Yets have had in years and one of the better ones in the league.

Kirkpatrick or Barron for the other safety slot...preferably Barron...neither over a pass rusher they buy.

[One thing we know is that Landry will hit the sh*t out of a TE. The must sign of the two safeties and they got it done without overpaying. Another quietly solid move by the FO.

Landry should be a very good player for this D next year. Most talented safety the Yets have had in years and one of the better ones in the league.

This is all true.

Archived