Michael Lombardi just tweeted Laron Landry to Jets (Merged X4)

pointman

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Post image for Jets Sign Safety LaRon Landry

The Jets didn’t waste much time after being spurned by Reggie Nelson, today they have signed LaRon Landry.  Adam Schefter is reporting that the deal is for one year with a 4 million dollar price tag.

Some Jets beat reporters chimed in on the signing as well:

For more information on the LaRon Landry signing please visit our

di
di

CsB2TfXnlaI

View the full article

I really liked the Newman suggestion...at this point in his career safety might be a good option for him.

I like that suggestion as well. Feel like it would be an easy call to Rob to see what he thinks.

+1 Didn't even have to look to see who posted it

You wish you looked like me without a shirt on.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

LaRon Landry reached agreement with the Jets on a one-year, $4 million deal.

Sounds like the same amount as the Eric Winston/Chiefs contract...Why did we not sign him to play RT and block Mario Williams....

How do you figure? Winston got $5.5 million per year for 4 years. That's a huge difference from a 1 year $4 million deal.

This is awesome. Great job Tanny. Now go out and sign more players that we don't need. There must be a free agent C or LT that we don't have any need for. Maybe a pass catching TE that can't block? This is awesome. We need safeties that can cover TE's but people are telling me how insanely happy I should be over the fact that this team just spent $4mil on a guy who can't cover anyone, but on the rare occassions that he's on the field, he can stuff the run. J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

That remains to be seen!

Not sure what that means. Are you upset because they can't predict the future? Because basically as of today its sorta popular belief via scouts, analysts and teams that Landry is the premier safety FA still available pending health and that this years crop of safety prospects is garbage. Of course a few will buck the system and become a valuable starter for some team as a possible mid-round pick. And Barron has a chance to be special. Everything else is just pie in the sky.

This is awesome. Great job Tanny. Now go out and sign more players that we don't need. There must be a free agent C or LT that we don't have any need for. Maybe a pass catching TE that can't block? This is awesome. We need safeties that can cover TE's but people are telling me how insanely happy I should be over the fact that this team just spent $4mil on a guy who can't cover anyone, but on the rare occassions that he's on the field, he can stuff the run. J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

You can't possibly be serious with this, can you? In what world was a safety, ANY safety not a need for the Jets? Yes, the Jets still need a coverage safety after the Landry signing, I won't argue that, but that certainly doesn't mean the Jets didn't need a guy like him as well. The Jets had absolutely NOTHING at safety, and no single safety was going to magically solve that problem. This definitely addresses part, but certainly not all, of their need at the position. Let's not forget, the Jets had one safety before this, and it was the NFL's single worst safety. If you think that talentless douchebag who can't even stay on his feet somehow eliminated the Jets need for safety outside of one coverage player, I really don't know what to tell you, because that's simply ridiculous.

How do you figure? Winston got $5.5 million per year for 4 years. That's a huge difference from a 1 year $4 million deal.

That post blew my mind too. JUST LIKE the Winston contract...I dont even have to go deep down to realize that liking football probably has made me a little more of an idiot.

Still find it baffling that anyone would pick Nelson over him because of the misguided perception that Nelson is some kind of blanket back there.

Nelson is obviously soooo much better than Landry. Well you know, unless the Jets had signed Nelson while Landry burned them for another team, than Landry would be way better.

This is a very good signing and this guy can flat out play. Let's hope his last cycle of Hgh gives him what he needs to stay on the field. Love this signing if the guy stays healthy. he may not be good in coverage but he will kill anyone coming across the middle to catch the ball.

You can't possibly be serious with this, can you? In what world was a safety, ANY safety not a need for the Jets? Yes, the Jets still need a coverage safety after the Landry signing, I won't argue that, but that certainly doesn't mean the Jets didn't need a guy like him as well. The Jets had absolutely NOTHING at safety, and no single safety was going to magically solve that problem. This definitely addresses part, but certainly not all, of their need at the position. Let's not forget, the Jets had one safety before this, and it was the NFL's single worst safety. If you think that talentless douchebag who can't even stay on his feet somehow eliminated the Jets need for safety outside of one coverage player, I really don't know what to tell you, because that's simply ridiculous.

I apologize. You are correct. The jets are so god dammotherfu$%int horrible at safety that this is an absolute upgrade. That is correct. However, $4 millon for this guy whoh can't cover or stay on the field? Horrible. They shouldn't have gone over $2.5 mil for this guy.

Buuuutttt....I guess $4 mil isn't all that bad if they keep going the way they are and don't plan on signing any other quality players.

F&#K!

We need safeties that can cover TE's

people are obsessed with finding safeties that can cover TE like Gronk.

Guess what, those players basically don't exist. Gronk, in his 2011 form was pretty much uncoverable. I mean ya could put Revis on him. And the Jets did that at times. But let's not pretend that "safeties who can cover Gronk" is some category full of names. Let's also not pretend Reggie Nelson could do it.

it's a catch 22 the cover players are brought up through college as cornerbacks. if they can't cover as well they get moved to safety. Ya could start 4 cornerbacks (and teams are starting to do that) but it's a league-wide problem, without an easy solution.

Archived