Michael Lombardi just tweeted Laron Landry to Jets (Merged X4)

pointman

I apologize. You are correct. The jets are so god dammotherfu$%int horrible at safety that this is an absolute upgrade. That is correct. However, $4 millon for this guy whoh can't cover or stay on the field? Horrible. They shouldn't have gone over $2.5 mil for this guy.

Buuuutttt....I guess $4 mil isn't all that bad if they keep going the way they are and don't plan on signing any other quality players.

F&#K!

Haha, fair enough and I guess I get what you're saying. I guess the Jets safety position has just been such a complete disaster for so long I'm just relieved to see them try to do something, anything, about it. If he can stay healthy, Landry does have the chance to be a very good player for them this year, even if not exactly addressing some of their coverage issues. Like I said, the problem is far from solved, but I'll still take this over the alternative.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, fair enough and I guess I get what you're saying. I guess the Jets safety position has just been such a complete disaster for so long I'm just relieved to see them try to do something, anything, about it. If he can stay healthy, Landry does have the chance to be a very good player for them this year, even if not exactly addressing some of their coverage issues. Like I said, the problem is far from solved, but I'll still take this over the alternative.

It's like we share the same brain.

Not sure what that means. Are you upset because they can't predict the future? Because basically as of today its sorta popular belief via scouts, analysts and teams that Landry is the premier safety FA still available pending health and that this years crop of safety prospects is garbage. Of course a few will buck the system and become a valuable starter for some team as a possible mid-round pick. And Barron has a chance to be special. Everything else is just pie in the sky.

All good points. If he stays on the field he will cause an impact!

It's a good signing if he can stay healthy (and doesn't get popped for roids)

Also, a safety in the later rounds, sure. First or second would be a mistake.

I wouldn't be miserable with taking Barron in the first, but we do need to address the safety position at some point as we don't have a single long term option on our roster, even with this recent signing. Barron is by far the cream of the crop, after him and Martin, there's not much to choose from and it's my feeling that after those two guys, it's almost not worth even drafting one.

I prefer an ingram, perry or upshaw over Barron in the first, but we'll see. I could see a Barron in the first and Branch in the second. That would be a solid first two rounds.

This is awesome. Great job Tanny. Now go out and sign more players that we don't need. There must be a free agent C or LT that we don't have any need for. Maybe a pass catching TE that can't block? This is awesome. We need safeties that can cover TE's but people are telling me how insanely happy I should be over the fact that this team just spent $4mil on a guy who can't cover anyone, but on the rare occassions that he's on the field, he can stuff the run. J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

Not to be argumentative, but have you watched Landry an extensive amount or is this solely based on this forums' perception that he can't cover?? This happens all the time here; one person says something and it just gets perpetuated in every argument, to the point where it's taken for fact.

I can say as a diehard LSU fan, I've watched this kid more times than any non-redskins' fan and he is just as athletic and capable as any other safety in FA. And just like Bit said, this idea that there are a bunch of FSs out there that can blanket TEs, is just false. You want someone to blanket a TE, give me Patrick Willis, Urlacher, Ray Lewis back in the day or hell even Laurinaitis had a breakout year. Bottom line, we got the best safety on the market, even though it was slim pickings, and we should be happy about it.

Move over David Boston!

As a wide receiver no less. I remember hearing the reports that he wouldn't work out with his team and how his massive muscle gain was all natural, due to 23 diet and health supplements etc.

1007090_1144377994246__boston3.jpg

I wouldn't be miserable with taking Barron in the first, but we do need to address the safety position at some point as we don't have a single long term option on our roster, even with this recent signing. Barron is by far the cream of the crop, after him and Martin, there's not much to choose from and it's my feeling that after those two guys, it's almost not worth even drafting one.

I prefer an ingram, perry or upshaw over Barron in the first, but we'll see. I could see a Barron in the first and Branch in the second. That would be a solid first two rounds.

Not to be argumentative, but have you watched Landry an extensive amount or is this solely based on this forums' perception that he can't cover?? This happens all the time here; one person says something and it just gets perpetuated in every argument, to the point where it's taken for fact.

I can say as a diehard LSU fan, I've watched this kid more times than any non-redskins' fan and he is just as athletic and capable as any other safety in FA. And just like Bit said, this idea that there are a bunch of FSs out there that can blanket TEs, is just false. You want someone to blanket a TE, give me Patrick Willis, Urlacher, Ray Lewis back in the day or hell even Laurinaitis had a breakout year. Bottom line, we got the best safety on the market, even though it was slim pickings, and we should be happy about it.

As a wide receiver no less. I remember hearing the reports that he wouldn't work out with his team and how his massive muscle gain was all natural, due to 23 diet and health supplements etc.

1007090_1144377994246__boston3.jpg

I'm not gonna' lie and say I've seen a ton of him but it's not the forum but a lot of the headlines/stories I've seen about him regularly refer to him as a run stuffing safety and nobody has referred to him as an "all-around" or "cover" guy.

I'm not gonna' lie and say I've seen a ton of him but it's not the forum but a lot of the headlines/stories I've seen about him regularly refer to him as a run stuffing safety and nobody has referred to him as an "all-around" or "cover" guy.

Who and where are all these cover safeties everyone keeps refering to? Besides its widely believed throughout the league that there really no FS vs SS anymore in today's diverse schemes and packages, that theres really only safeties. Sure some guys will hav more range but again, who and what is a cover safety?

i like the way this deal is set up. 1 year 4 mil. It's basically a mil more than Plexico Burress got. If this guy is amazing thru the roof awesome they can franchise him )the franchise tag for S is a steal around 6 mil this year) or work a long term deal out. and if he isn't any good they've got 0 long term dollars invested.

Sure some guys will hav more range but again, who and what is a cover safety?

Kerry Rhodes. Who spent most of this year injured. Or converted cornerback Lowery.

we are talking about safeties today but honestly we can talk about cover safeties and Rex Ryan for year. Jim Leonard certainly isn't a coverage safety. honestly Reggie Nelson isn't either.

Rex doesn't seem to value 'cover' safeties. He'll take the production of Ed reed if he's there but it's not a priority for him to invest money in the safeties.

just checked out some highlights

"personal foul, hitting defenseless receiver, #30"

its true but in fairness those highlights were probably taken when the rules were different. I can assume you didn't see 2011 highlights cause there weren't many.

Kerry Rhodes. Who spent most of this year injured. Or converted cornerback Lowery.

we are talking about safeties today but honestly we can talk about cover safeties and Rex Ryan for year. Jim Leonard certainly isn't a coverage safety. honestly Reggie Nelson isn't either.

Rex doesn't seem to value 'cover' safeties. He'll take the production of Ed reed if he's there but it's not a priority for him to invest money in the safeties.

Kerry Rhodes is not a cover safety and neither is Ed Reed. Safeties in the most general of terms cover space, they don't cover man. There's a reason you don't just put 4 Cornerbacks back there.

Kerry Rhodes is not a cover safety and neither is Ed Reed. Safeties in the most general of terms cover space, they don't cover man. There's a reason you don't just put 4 Cornerbacks back there.

Word. The Giants and Pats just played a Super Bowl with four safeties who couldn't cover my dick with a blanket.

Fair enough, but the biggest thing with a lot of these writers and "journalists" is they do the same thing people on this forum do; they hear mention he's an in the box safety, and they run with it without bothering to watch all of his games. These "analysts and journalists" go with common perception and reputation over their own viewing, it's the same reason why Rafael Palmero won the Gold Glove at first base back in the late 90s when he only played twenty-something games there. (Just as an aside, it's these voters who also vote for the HOF...let that one swish around in your mouth for a while.)

Landry was an absolute physical freak coming out of LSU and has some of the better safety measurables that have been produced. He was a FS coming out of LSU and the only reason he was moved more towards the line of scrimmage was the Skins already had the second best safety in the league in Sean Taylor and were in the process of possibly creating the best safety tandem in league history, before his untimely death. The next two years Laron played primarily FS for the skins and only in the last two has he switched more towards playing closer to the LOS.

Still find it baffling that anyone would pick Nelson over him because of the misguided perception that Nelson is some kind of blanket back there.

Nelson just offered the potential to cover the fukking Pats TEs...on paper, maybe but still. Nelson sukked while with the Jags and the Bengals and their system made it work for him to rebound and collect. Unless we blew him away with ca$h he was probably leaning toward returning to the Bengals.

The Landry signing is a solid move. Still wish we had Lowery but at least its half the battle. Atogwe or another backup is probably on the way before the draft.

Then look for Barron (doubt the #16 pick), maybe move down, move back up, somewhere between 25 and 35.

Or, we grab one of lesser safety prospects (Martin) or possibly a CB that will convert to safety.

Either way...glad we got Landry. Can't see how anyone complains especially on a one-year deal for player who is motivated.

I love this guy. He's a head hunter in the mold of a less athletic Eric Berry. I sooo wanted this guy in the 2007 draft. I am pretrty sure he was a top 5 pick by the skins. Gronk, meet Landry.

Berry at the combine ran a 4.47, 43 vert, 130 broad at 6 foot around 210 and was the 5th overall pick.

Landry at the combine ran a 4.35, 38 vert, 123 broad at 6 foot around 215 and was the 6th overall pick.

Berry at 23, is 4 years younger and probably the best young Safety in the game when healthy.

Nelson just offered the potential to cover the fukking Pats TEs...on paper, maybe but still. Nelson sukked while with the Jags and the Bengals and their system made it work for him to rebound and collect. Unless we blew him away with ca$h he was probably leaning toward returning to the Bengals.

The Landry signing is a solid move. Still wish we had Lowery but at least its half the battle. Atogwe or another backup is probably on the way before the draft.

Then look for Barron (doubt the #16 pick), maybe move down, move back up, somewhere between 25 and 35.

Or, we grab one of lesser safety prospects (Martin) or possibly a CB that will convert to safety.

Either way...glad we got Landry. Can't see how anyone complains especially on a one-year deal for player who is motivated.

I think more to the point Nelson was considered by some to have more range. Mostly based on the theory that Landry lost a step due to the added bulk and achilles issues. By no means would either one of them be able to cover Pats TE's. You can add to that list just about every other safety in the NFL.

I think more to the point Nelson was considered by some to have more range. Mostly based on the theory that Landry lost a step due to the added bulk and achilles issues. By no means would either one of them be able to cover Pats TE's. You can add to that list just about every other safety in the NFL.

I was talking about the general "perception" that Nelson was the better cover guy than Landry. Some could conclude we got sloppy seconds. Still think Nelson liked the Bengals and just used us to up the ante. Landry a good pick up.

Bottom line. Tanny will do what he always attempts to do. Sign enough guys at the "need" positions to mask our draft board a little. He really needs a strong draft this year.

I was talking about the general "perception" that Nelson was the better cover guy than Landry. Some could conclude we got sloppy seconds. Still think Nelson liked the Bengals and just used us to up the ante. Landry a good pick up.

Bottom line. Tanny will do what he always attempts to do. Sign enough guys at the "need" positions to mask our draft board a little. He really needs a strong draft this year.

Yep, I agree. Honestly, gun to head I would have preferred Nelson over Landry but only due to Landry's health concerns. I was really hoping for both tbh. Still, if Landry is healthy this is a huge upgrade for the Jets.

Couple things:

- My problem with Nelson is that he started fine, decided to slack off, and then decided to turn it off during a contract year.

- My other problem with him is this idea that he's covering the Pats' TEs. He's not. If he was that guy you could bet your a$$ that he'd be a bigger target this offseason than he was because the Jets are not the only team in the NFL with TE problems on defense. Most teams....scratch that...every team has trouble with good pass catchers who weigh 250-270 pounds...especially since some of these guys are 6'5"+.

Couple things:

- My problem with Nelson is that he started fine, decided to slack off, and then decided to turn it off during a contract year.

- My other problem with him is this idea that he's covering the Pats' TEs. He's not. If he was that guy you could bet your a$$ that he'd be a bigger target this offseason than he was because the Jets are not the only team in the NFL with TE problems on defense. Most teams....scratch that...every team has trouble with good pass catchers who weigh 250-270 pounds...especially since some of these guys are 6'5"+.

Yeah can we all just settle this now. Scheme and pressure on the QB is how you stop...or slow down Pats' TEs. It's not some magical, herculean Safety whom doesn't exist playing man coverage.

Yeah can we all just settle this now. Scheme and pressure on the QB is how you stop...or slow down Pats' TEs. It's not some magical, herculean Safety whom doesn't exist playing man coverage.

I really can't insist enough on this point...The idea that Reggie f'n Nelson would be coming in and stopping those guys...Yuch and a yuch yuch. I know I'm a little too Barron happy, but I have 0 doubts that guy is already a better pro than Nelson.

Yep, I agree. Honestly, gun to head I would have preferred Nelson over Landry but only due to Landry's health concerns. I was really hoping for both tbh. Still, if Landry is healthy this is a huge upgrade for the Jets.

I was wanting Nelson more this weekend...then starting rethinking it...the guy sukked with the Jags...now he wanted to get paid...agree on Landry.

Couple things:

Swap word potential with perception. You're right.

Archived