Michael Lombardi just tweeted Laron Landry to Jets (Merged X4)

pointman

Fair enough, but the biggest thing with a lot of these writers and "journalists" is they do the same thing people on this forum do; they hear mention he's an in the box safety, and they run with it without bothering to watch all of his games. These "analysts and journalists" go with common perception and reputation over their own viewing, it's the same reason why Rafael Palmero won the Gold Glove at first base back in the late 90s when he only played twenty-something games there. (Just as an aside, it's these voters who also vote for the HOF...let that one swish around in your mouth for a while.)

Landry was an absolute physical freak coming out of LSU and has some of the better safety measurables that have been produced. He was a FS coming out of LSU and the only reason he was moved more towards the line of scrimmage was the Skins already had the second best safety in the league in Sean Taylor and were in the process of possibly creating the best safety tandem in league history, before his untimely death. The next two years Laron played primarily FS for the skins and only in the last two has he switched more towards playing closer to the LOS.

Yes. Dude was a legit top 10 in a draft with a pretty strong top 10 and that whole early career Taylor/Landry thing was once a really big deal in this league. It'd be a bigger deal if Taylor didn't get murdered, but lots of people were saying that safety duo was potentially legendary. Two complete safeties who didn't have time to think about the difference between a SS and a FS. The league doesn't even gravitate towards that anymore...the only reason they have to is because safeties with complete games and legit NFL instincts for the position are just so gd rare.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Dude was a legit top 10 in a draft with a pretty strong top 10 and that whole early career Taylor/Landry thing was once a really big deal in this league. It'd be a bigger deal if Taylor didn't get murdered, but lots of people were saying that safety duo was potentially legendary. Two complete safeties who didn't have time to think about the difference between a SS and a FS. The league doesn't even gravitate towards that anymore...the only reason they have to is because safeties with complete games and legit NFL instincts for the position are just so gd rare.

I wasnt too famiiar with landry. This is a grown man right here. I thought Smith hit hard, Landry has no regard for anything moving with the ball.

I guess the Rex Effect is still in full force

Manish Mehta ‏ @TheJetsStream

Newest Jets' safety @MrLandry30 : "They have a top-notch support staff and facility and I really feel that I can prosper here.” #nyj

54m Manish Mehta Manish Mehta ‏ @TheJetsStream

Jets' safety @MrLandry30: "When you factor in that Rex coached my brother and the family-oriented demeanor, it just felt like home" #nyj

55m Manish Mehta Manish Mehta ‏ @TheJetsStream

LaRon Landry (@MrLandry30): “After spending time with org. as a whole,I just felt that signing with the Jets was the right thing to do" #nyj

I guess the Rex Effect is still in full force

Newest Jets' safety @MrLandry30 : "They have a top-notch support staff and facility and I really feel that I can prosper here.” #nyj

54m Manish Mehta Manish Mehta ‏ @TheJetsStream

Jets' safety @MrLandry30: "When you factor in that Rex coached my brother and the family-oriented demeanor, it just felt like home" #nyj

55m Manish Mehta Manish Mehta ‏ @TheJetsStream

LaRon Landry (@MrLandry30): “After spending time with org. as a whole,I just felt that signing with the Jets was the right thing to do" #nyj

Yes. Rex's ability to reel in outcasts on one-year deals is unparalleled.

The problem with Landry is he can't cover...Im not completely thrilled here, but he's an obvious upgrade from what we had.

Maybe that obvious upgrade could be the difference. Revis & Cro can cover, Wilson showed maturity last year and adding landry to that who can really keep WR's on their toes in the middle of the field as well as playing the run? He wont get burnt like Smith did and I just seen a video of Landry physically handling Brandon Jacobs, so dealing with the Pats TE's shouldnt be much of a problem either.

This guy could be a great addition.

The problem with Landry is he can't cover...

huh? he is easily a better FS than anyone we've had since Kerry Rhodes, and he's a better SS than we've had here since Elam.

He can play both positions better than Smith and Leonard. he can rush the passer and jam the line. he can help set the edge and he provide the much promised speed to the middle of the defense.

he is going to cause havoc in Rex's defense.

From everything I can gather about the way Landry plays and what Rex is looking for out of the free safety position many feel needs an upgrade, there is a certain player in the draft that sounds like an ideal fit. George Iloka from Boise state.

He isn't a top speed safety but he plays technically sound and has experience playing corner. From what I understand about the way Rex wants his FS to play he wants him to be able to cover over the top, but also play at the line of scrimmage and be able to get in the face of the receiver. I could very well see him being the pick in round two

From everything I can gather about the way Landry plays and what Rex is looking for out of the free safety position many feel needs an upgrade, there is a certain player in the draft that sounds like an ideal fit. George Iloka from Boise state.

He isn't a top speed safety but he plays technically sound and has experience playing corner. From what I understand about the way Rex wants his FS to play he wants him to be able to cover over the top, but also play at the line of scrimmage and be able to get in the face of the receiver. I could very well see him being the pick in round two

Sounds like Rex wants a safety to be a safety, and not half a safety.

Really like Iloka...Always like a jumbo safety who can ball. They skipped on Chancellor, but I'm hoping they look hard at Barron and Iloka this year. Iloka is a little finesse-y for my taste but he can grow out of it, and it's not a bad trade off if he's someone they think can otherwise be a well rounded safety.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/11159/analysis-landry-a-risk-reward-signing

6. I spoke to former Redskins GM Vinny Cerrato about the Jets-Landry match. "If they keep him close to the line of scrimmage, he can be dominant," said Cerrato, who drafted Landry. "He could be great in Rex's defense. He's great against the run and a great blitzer. He'll end up with four or five sacks."

Asked about Landry's deficiencies in coverage, Cerrato said, "He's not a center fielder. He'll be able to cover the tight end, but the longer he goes down field, the tougher it'll be."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/11159/analysis-landry-a-risk-reward-signing

6. I spoke to former Redskins GM Vinny Cerrato about the Jets-Landry match. "If they keep him close to the line of scrimmage, he can be dominant," said Cerrato, who drafted Landry. "He could be great in Rex's defense. He's great against the run and a great blitzer. He'll end up with four or five sacks."

Asked about Landry's deficiencies in coverage, Cerrato said, "He's not a center fielder. He'll be able to cover the tight end, but the longer he goes down field, the tougher it'll be."

Cerrato is nigh-retarded, but I like what he's saying here. Rex should now spend his first three picks on pass rush. Outside of Revis and Cro, the entire defense sucks in coverage. They need to hide it with the rush. Maybe wait around and see what the Jints do with Umeniyora.

Cerrato is nigh-retarded, but I like what he's saying here. Rex should now spend his first three picks on pass rush. Outside of Revis and Cro, the entire defense sucks in coverage. They need to hide it with the rush. Maybe wait around and see what the Jints do with Umeniyora.

They have to bring in a rangy FS, imo.

huh? he is easily a better FS than anyone we've had since Kerry Rhodes, and he's a better SS than we've had here since Elam.

He can play both positions better than Smith and Leonard. he can rush the passer and jam the line. he can help set the edge and he provide the much promised speed to the middle of the defense.

he is going to cause havoc in Rex's defense.

If he stays healthy, pretty big if he will bring Rex's defense back into the top 3 this year. Live in DC watched him play healthy and DAMN boy can ball. He got some nice nasty to him.

How do you figure? Winston got $5.5 million per year for 4 years. That's a huge difference from a 1 year $4 million deal.

I was referring to the price per year being similar, I thought Winston was a steal for that price and could have bolstered our line.

Seems like the Jets are ONLY offering 1 year contracts this year though...

The problem with Landry is he can't cover...Im not completely thrilled here, but he's an obvious upgrade from what we had.

What does this even mean? So he's the top rated FA at Safety b/c he hits hard and gets penalties? I didn't watch every Redskins game but the games I did watch it wasn't like Landry played 5 yards from the LOS all game. This in the box safety only tag is just not true. OMG his lats are too big for him to run fast stuff. Dude clocked a 4.35 at the combine about 10 pounds lighter. I would be concerned about his achilles sure, but besides that, he pretty good.

By DVOA we were one of the best coverage defenses in the league last season. 1st against #1 WRs (obv), 2nd against #2s, 18th against #3/4/5s, 5th against RBs. The only place we got killed in the back end was vs. TEs. OLB is the smart pick at 16, but any coverage issues are a safety problem.

http://blogs.frederi...for-first-time/ Good breakdown on the whole achilles situation.
^^^ Stem cells ARE the sh*t. I expect a huge amount of athletes are or will be going for this treatment...Saved Bartolo Colon's career/shoulder. Right now it's still in it's early stages but oh the gains that can be made.

Yeah I'm almost positive this is the same treatment Kobe had with his knees in which he raved so much about it A-Rod decides to undergo the same treatment this offseason. Actually Peyton Manning is using stem cell procedures as well with his neck.

Here's a couple related stories with A-Rod, Kobe and Manning:

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2011/12/yankees_slugger_alex_rodriguez_8.html

http://lakernation.com/2011/07/dr-raj-explains-kobe-bryants-prp-knee-procedure/

http://metromd.net/kobe-manning-why-stem-cells-are-the-new-security-for-these-professional-athletes/

Actually Peyton Manning is using stem cell procedures as well with his neck.

Said this a long time ago....No way was Peyton not getting the most modern treatment possible.

Don't this this will work for everybody, but all those guys are/were the best of the best before their treatments, which helps in the recovery I'm sure.

Twitter:

Manish Mehta @TheJetsStream

Jets' safety LaRon Landry (@MrLandry30) on how well he can play when healthy: "The sky's the limit. Unstoppable." #nyj

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

Landry on why he signed 1 yr deal: Wants to challenge himself, prove to everybody this injury is healed..."Sky's the limit" when healthy.

Manish Mehta @TheJetsStream

LaRon Landry: "I wanted the 1-year deal to prove to everybody and show that my injury is healed." #nyj

LaRon Landry (@MrLandry30) on his pass coverage: "I'm not going to say I'm great in the box and my pass coverage sucks." #nyj

23s Rich Cimini Rich Cimini ‏ @RichCimini

Landry on pass-coverage criticisms: I hear it, but I'm not listening to it. Feels unwarranted. #Jets

1m Manish Mehta Manish Mehta ‏ @TheJetsStream

Landry on whether he sees himself as a strong or free safety: "In this defense, I can do both....This defense allows you to... mix it up"

2m Rich Cimini Rich Cimini ‏ @RichCimini

Landry: Says he can play strong or free safety. With #Jets defense, can do both.

2m Manish Mehta Manish Mehta ‏ @TheJetsStream

LaRon Landry on his visit with Patriots: "The meeting went well, but my heart was with the Jets." #nyj

3m Manish Mehta Manish Mehta ‏ @TheJetsStream

LaRon Landry on Pats' TEs: "They have great tight ends. You need some guys on the field that can cover those guys.. safeties."

3m Rich Cimini Rich Cimini ‏ @RichCimini

Landry: Says there was tug-of-war with Redskins over whether he should have had surgery. Says answer to injury wasn't surgery. #Jets

4m Rich Cimini Rich Cimini ‏ @RichCimini

Landry, cont.: Said signing with Jets was "no brainer," said med staff knows his injury. #Jets

5m Rich Cimini Rich Cimini ‏ @RichCimini

Landry's here: Discussing Achilles' injury. Says he'll be ready when it's time to be ready. Will part "as much as possible" in OTAs, mini.

5m Manish Mehta Manish Mehta ‏ @TheJetsStream

LaRon Landry on health: "I'll be ready when it's' time to be ready.... I will be at OTAs & minicamp. I'll participate as much as possible":

Archived