Michael Lombardi just tweeted Laron Landry to Jets (Merged X4)

pointman

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2012/03/laron-landry-feels-like-he-can-be-unstoppable-with-the-jets

LaRon Landry feels like he can be "unstoppable" with the Jets

BY Manish Mehta

LaRon Landry left little doubt about how good he feels he can be for the Jets this season. Landry, who signed a one-year deal with the Jets on Monday, has been hampered by an Achilles tendon injury that has caused him to play in just 17 games. So, how effective can he be with the Jets now that he’s healthy?

"The sky's the limit,” Landry said in a conference call on Tuesday. “Unstoppable."

The 6-0, 220-pound Landry, who spent his first five seasons with the Redskins, has five sacks, four interceptions, six forced fumbles in his career. He disagreed with the notion that he’ll be able to just play strong safety. The Jets, of course, need a coverage safety that can handle tight ends.

"In this defense, I can do both,” Landry said about playing the strong and free safety spots with the Jets. “This defense allows you to... mix it up…. I'm not going to say I'm great in the box and my pass coverage sucks."

Landry maintained that he chose to sign a short-term deal to show his doubters that he can return to a high level of play.

"I wanted the one-year deal to prove to everybody and show that my injury is healed,” said Landry, who admitted that there was a “tug of war” with the Redskins over whether he should have undergone surgery for his Achilles injury.

Landryplayed in only nine games in 2010 due to the Achilles tendon injury. Landry elected not to have surgery and underwent platelet-rich plasma therapy to strengthen the tendon. Last season, inflammation of the tendon prompted him to miss eight more games. He once again opted against surgery and underwent a stem cell procedure to recover.

The Jets have struggled covering tight ends in the past couple years. The Patriots duo of Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, of course, present the biggest challenge. Landry visited the Patriots before he signed with the Jets.

"The meeting went well, but my heart was with the Jets,” Landry said. "(The Patriots) have great tight ends. You need some guys on the field that can cover those guys."

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he stays healthy, pretty big if he will bring Rex's defense back into the top 3 this year. Live in DC watched him play healthy and DAMN boy can ball. He got some nice nasty to him.

eh...he balled basically for one season and then the Skins fanbase became disenchanted with him due to injuries, overpursuing and poor coverage skills. Now I see that he hopes to participate in as much off season workouts as possible and Tanny "expects" him to be ready for the start of the season barring the unforeseen. Does npot sound like a player who is 100% healthy.

At least it's a one year deal with the potential of high reward but it comes with the risk that we could see this guy miss as many games as he plays.

eh...he balled basically for one season and then the Skins fanbase became disenchanted with him due to injuries, overpursuing and poor coverage skills. Now I see that he hopes to participate in as much off season workouts as possible and Tanny "expects" him to be ready for the start of the season barring the unforeseen. Does npot sound like a player who is 100% healthy.

At least it's a one year deal with the potential of high reward but it comes with the risk that we could see this guy miss as many games as he plays.

If he stays healthy guys will make an impact in the defense. Of this I'm sure. Skins fan base are the abused spouse of Dan Snyder. I like this pick up except for the fact no matter how hard I try can;t convince myself he will be healthy all season.

not sure why anyone would complain, what he'll give up in coverage will more then be compensated for by receivers getting aligator arms due to fear of beign trucked..

and if he gets hurt, oh well..

LaRon Landry's one-year contract with the Jets, for a maximum of $3.5 million, is heavily tied to his ability to suit up for all 16 games next season.

Landry's base salary is just $700,000. In addition to a $950,000 signing bonus, half of the contract is in the form of bonuses for each game he is on the active roster. If this was the best Landry could do, it goes to show that no team trusted him to stay healthy after going against doctors orders to undergo Achilles' surgery.

LaRon Landry's one-year contract with the Jets, for a maximum of $3.5 million, is heavily tied to his ability to suit up for all 16 games next season.

Landry's base salary is just $700,000. In addition to a $950,000 signing bonus, half of the contract is in the form of bonuses for each game he is on the active roster. If this was the best Landry could do, it goes to show that no team trusted him to stay healthy after going against doctors orders to undergo Achilles' surgery.

Thanks for posting this, I was waiting to hear the details on this. It seemed like there was probably more to this contract than originally reported, and the fact that it's heavily incentive-based tied to his health I think makes this a great deal. Definitely very happy with the signing. The Jets still need another safety though.

Thanks for posting this, I was waiting to hear the details on this. It seemed like there was probably more to this contract than originally reported, and the fact that it's heavily incentive-based tied to his health I think makes this a great deal. Definitely very happy with the signing. The Jets still need another safety though.

No problem, figured it would ease some worries.

It makes you realize why they bailed on the Reggie Nelson deal. Way to much money

Archived