Jets considering Tim Tebow: MERGED

Ryno the Jet

Ok, here's the thing - dude has talent, leadership and he knows how to win. I don't understand the hate. For all those who don't like Sanchez, I don't know why you wouldn't be happy with this move.

Because the best things people can say about him are that he "has talent, leadership, and he knows how to win." He's basically Sanchez with worse mechanics and more annoying fans.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a Tim Tebow fan at all, but if you can acquire him for a 4th round pick and use him for 10-15 plays a game as a change of pace QB and a slash type player, you have to consider it. The guy is a great athlete and has unusual offensive skills. The problem is that accurate passing is not one of those skills, so you would have to use him as a Brad Smith type.

WHat does it matter.. This team's fate for the next few years is basically written.. It's all on Sanchez

The point is I'd rather it all be on Sanchez for the next year or two, and then move on if/when he fails as opposed to spending years of him and Tebow switching back and forth, which would simultaneously guarantee that the slim chance either of them has of working out long term would all but disappear, while also further delaying the possibility of future moves to acquire a new QB who has the opportunity to be that franchise guy. There is plenty of bad and next to no good that could come from making that move.

Because the best things people can say about him are that he "has talent, leadership, and he knows how to win." He's basically Sanchez with worse mechanics and more annoying fans

you lost me at the end...

unless you meant he as MORE annoying fans (as in quantity of fans)

rather then more annoying fans (as in degree of annoyingness)

the former i'm down with, not the latter

The point is I'd rather it all be on Sanchez for the next year or two, and then move on if/when he fails as opposed to spending years of him and Tebow switching back and forth, which would simultaneously guarantee that the slim chance either of them has of working out long term would all but disappear, while also further delaying the possibility of future moves to acquire a new QB who has the opportunity to be that franchise guy. There is plenty of bad and next to no good that could come from making that move.

meh, i haven't given up on Sanchez, but he's a long shot, and the jets just doubled down... best chance is that he never becomes anything more and tanny and or rex is gone in 2 years

March 20, 2012 4:12 PM 0 comments

Source: It's "not likely" that quarterback Tim Tebow will be a Jet

BY Manish Mehta

Before Peyton Manning was officially introduced as the Broncos’ new quarterback, whispers surfaced about Tim Tebow’s next destination.

Jets are reportedly among several teams with some level of interest in Tim Tebow. ESPN reported on Tuesday that the Jets have discussed trading for the Broncos’ quarterback. A source told the Daily News that it’s “not likely” that Gang Green will land the unconventional signal caller.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum reiterated on Tuesday that he “feels good about” with the trio of quarterbacks on the Jets’ roster right now -- Mark Sanchez, Drew Stanton and Greg McElory – but didn’t definitively rule out making changes.

“You never know if other opportunities present themselves,” Tannenbaum said on a conference call with reporters. “We’ll always look at it. The standard line there. We feel good about Greg and Drew and Mark…. And we’ll see where we go from there.”

Tannenbaum didn’t comment on Tebow other than to say that “Tim Tebow is a player under contract to another team.”

Although Manning said that he’d like to play with Tebow, the Broncos have already reportedly discussed dealing him away.

The Jets appear to be a longshot destination. Although new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano could have a place for Tebow in certain Wildcat packages, the move would make little sense. The Jets reaffirmed their commitment to Sanchez with a three-year extension and signed Stanton to be his backup last week. Tebow’s presence could provide an unnecessary distraction if Sanchez struggles.

Tannenbaum admitted that the team is “really shifting our attentions to draft preparations at this point” after a relatively quiet free agency period. Safety LaRon Landry, the team’s most notable free agent signing, maintained that “the sky’s the limit” and he could be “unstoppable” if he fully recovers from a nagging Achilles tendon injury that caused him to play just 17 games the past two seasons. Tannenbaum believes that Landry, who will likely be limited during the team’s off-season workouts, will be ready for the start of the season “barring anything unforeseen.” Landry said that he’ll participate in mini-camp and organized team activities “as much as possible.”

The general manager also admitted that the Jets “haven’t closed the door” on free agent safety Jim Leonhard, who suffered a season-ending knee injury for the second consecutive season. Although Landry maintained that the jets’ defense will provide him opportunities to play both free safety and strong safety responsibilities, the Jets still need an athletic safety with solid coverage skills.

“We could be looking for some more versatile players back there,” Tannenbaum said. “Gameplan specifics will dictate where they play.”

Notes:

Linebacker Bart Scott’s future with the team remains in doubt after the team began exploring trade partners earlier this month. “He’s going to be here for the offseason program,” Tannenbaum said. “(He’s) under contract.”

Scott has a guaranteed $4.2 million base salary for 2012.

Recently signed wide receiver Chaz Schillens’ role is yet to be determined, Tannenbaum said.

“He could start for us, he could catch a 100 balls or he could be a special teams player,” said Tannenbaum, who admitted that the team also met with free agent wide receiver Donnie Avery this wee

Tannenbaum said that "nothing (is) on the horizon" with free agent Jerricho Cotchery, who visited with the Chiefs this week. The News reported last week that Gang Green reached out to Cotchery last week.

I would be all for this and here is why:

1. It would take next to nothing to get him.

2. Sparano is a wildcat guy and they could put in a few packages for Tebow

3. I own a Jets message board and having Tebow backing up Sanchez would be message board gold.

:)

3. I own a Jets message board and having Tebow backing up Sanchez would be message board gold.

#3, last and certainly not least important

I wouldn't even trade Eric Smith for him. The last thing the Jets need is an even sh*ttier QB than the sh*tty QB they already have that they'd inevitably waste a few more years of their time on.

They found the ONE guy, and got interested in them. God bless Mike Tannenbaum.

3. I own a Jets message board and having Tebow backing up Sanchez

would be message board gold.

You know what be crazy, and just may work? a double Q.B set where you can't tell who's going to throw, since Tebow can run, catch, as well as throw.

Whats up with some of you guys thinking we could use Tebow some of the time/snaps?? Did you guys not see how Tebow the gloryhole got Orton ousted so he could be the fulltime starter last season? Did you not hear his constant crying via twitter and on espn to everyone football related to, "give me a chance, Its my dream'', etc that everyone bowed down to? I for one don't want any part of that happening to our Starter Sanchez, who we just over paid to be our guy. And anyone who wants more controversy around this team is a complete idiot. Build on stability for once, not mindless corruption.

Post image for Schefter: Jets Considering Trading For Tebow

I am not going to lie, I feel bad posting this because I am doing so in my own selfish self interests.  When you run a New York Jets blog and a forum, you are always looking for ways to start conversations.  This time Adam Schefter has started one for us by posting this on twitter:

Do we think that the Jets would trade for Tim Tebow?  It would be a long shot but here are some items to consider before ruling it out:

1. New offensive coordinator Tony Sparano ran the wildcat extensively in Miami.  So it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that they could target Tebow to run some wildcat packages for the Jets.
  2. The price is going to be right, it would only take a late round draft pick.
  3. He sells merchandise, his jersey was the 3rd best seller online according to the NFL.

Feeling sad?  Uncertain?  Happy?  Whatever you may feel we are there for you.  Trained counselors are standing by in the to guide you through the confusion that being a Jets fans can create.

di
di

je4sTXKP_4k

View the full article

The Jets have "real" interest in Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow

The Jets have "real" interest in Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow, according to a person with knowledge of the team's thinking. That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for the team.

The quarterback is expected to be available via trade after the Broncos signed Peyton Manning today. ESPN reported earlier today that the Jets have "discussed" trading for Tebow, and the person said the Jets are indeed one of the teams in play.

Why the Jets? Quarterback Mark Sanchez is in place as the team's starter, but new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano pioneered the Wildcat during his days in Miami, so Tebow could be an intriguing fit. Also, some inside the organization think Tebow would be a good locker-room presence for a team reeling from a season derailed by chemistry issues.

This doesn't mean Tebow to the Jets will happen. But it also doesn't mean it won't.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum was mum on Tebow earlier today, saying only, "Tim Tebow is a player under contract to another team."

When asked about the quarterback position as a whole, he expressed confidence in the trio of Sanchez, Drew Stanton and Greg McElroy.

"We feel good about where we are now," Tannenbaum said. "I’ll give you my standard answer, which is you never know if other opportunities present themselves. We’ll always look at it, that’s the standard line there, but we feel good about Greg, Drew and Mark, and see where we go from there."

I don't want Tebow here, but I've changed my mind on him. I think he can be successful in this league, just not in a conventional offense. But if you commit to to him, and build your team around him, I think you could reap some rewards. He has big play flair, and a penchant for winning.

I don't want Tebow here, but I've changed my mind on him. I think he can be successful in this league, just not in a conventional offense. But if you commit to to him, and build your team around him, I think you could reap some rewards. He has big play flair, and a penchant for winning.

If you fully commit your team to him, it is a possibility. This being said, (if he joins he Jets, and I really hope he doesn't) it would be better to keep him as a package player. He throws a good enough deep ball that out of a wildcat he can be a weapon. ONLY if you have a legitimate deep threat receiver, because the way that must work is if the safeties must respect the long ball.

For the record, the coach in me would love to design an offense around tebow. It seems like a great challenge, and would be fun to mix it up.

Something tells me they're just driving up the price in case the Pats or Dullphins were actually interested.

I didn't want Manning because of the media mind**** that would've taken place...Tebow would be a times two.

Please God, send your second begotten son elsewhere.

He would be perfect for an expansion team in Vegas.

No. No. No.

As someone else said recently on another thread; "stay the course".

Altough I agree with the notion that it would be fun to watch him as a FB in the redzone and a wildcat threat, he would never conceed to such a diminshed role as becoming just a role player. That's when a stumble out of the blocks by Sanchez gets consumed by Tebowmania, and we're stuck in the same dead end that Denver was in until yesterday.

Stay the course, Please, pick up Jonathan Stewart and stay the course.

Archived