Namath: I Have Changed My Mind Slightly

JetNation

Post image for Namath: I Have Changed My Mind Slightly

When the news broke about the Tim Tebow trade, Hall of Fame QB Joe Namath had some very strong words and he did not bite his tongue.  Here is a short list of Broadyway Joe’s quotes against the move to get Tebow. Namath said:

He was close to shocked

I do not agree with this situation, I can’t agree with it and the Tebow move was a publicity stunt.

I really think its wrong, I can’t go for it.

I don’t think they know what they are doing over there right now.  This is crazy.

On Monday Joe Namath was on the FOX Business Network and he changed his tune a bit.

On whether the Jets made a smart football move by signing Tebow:

“That’s over my head. I’d say no as a player, as a I fan I’d say you’re darn right. It’s good for the fans absolutely.”

On the Jets signing Tim Tebow:

“He’s the biggest star, one of them certainly in the game today so I think the Jets have done a terrific thing here in bringing the Jet fans a real star. Now, can the star continue to play football and contribute properly without disrupting what they have there at this time? The Jets need help. they finished 8-8 last year. they’re thin with their safeties, linebackers, offensive line. It’s really a wait and see how Tim Tebow and the Jets team does. As a quarterback, I would not like this a little bit. I don’t know a quarterback, a starter in the NFL that appreciates being taken off the field in clutch situations.”

On whether he has changed his mind since saying the Jets didn’t know what they were doing by signing Tebow:

“I have changed my mind slightly. You see the overview that the personnel in the Jets administration have, they give more thought to the marketing and the other edges of the business than I do. I think more of the football field, the locker room, and what they’re trying to achieve on the field. I just don’t think the team is in a position right now with their players to have  a successful season next year. I think they need fixes in other areas. Whenever I see the move with Tim Tebow, that’s just telling me they really don’t have all that confidence in Mark Sanchez that they’ve been telling Mark and telling the fans certainly with the new contract and there’s an old saying amongst players in football talking about your general manger and coaches, they speak with a forked tongue.”

On his bottom line call on Tebow:

“I think he’s going to help the team possibly but at the end of the day, no I don’t think it’s going to be a positive move, not in the long run. I am hoping it is, but until Tebow learns to improve his passing game, I don’t think Holmes is going to be happy, the wide receivers. There’s not one NFL team that’s used this kind of formation that hasn’t been suffering offensively. You’re gonna take your best player, your quarterback off the field, or one of your best guys and substitute and that’s showing a weakness right there.”

Joe stayed true to his word when he said as a player he wouldn’t like this move.  He also realizes that the trade will make many Jets fans happy.  That said, winning is the only way to keep Jet Nation happy and that is how the Jets will be graded.

di
di

kDRZ94Frfos

View the full article

He's just old and is unwilling to see change . I look forward the revolutionary offense the Jets will put together by having two QB's on the field at once. I'm not sure if that's ever really been done. Old heads can't see things like that. They see it as a change from the way things are "supposed to be" . I understand of course. I am 40 myself and I have video game and movie issues..... "kids today" LOL

But I am hoping that the Jets are about to do something that no one has ever seen before. Sporano changed the landscape of the NFL with the Wildcat offense. He's the man for the job IMO.

Namath is stuck and that's ok. It's pretty funny that his stance is litening up mere days after he made those comments. I wonder where he will be in August. "I love Tim Tebow I tell ya hwut"

This stuff is too funny sometimes.

Yes. I'm asking why you don't think D'Brickashaw Ferguson is not an elite LT.

Hes a decent Run Blocker and a good pass protector last year he stunk and hes reached double digit sacks alloweed or come close 3 times in his career (It may be more Im not sure) but those are not even remotely close to Elite LT numbers . There are probably only 2 elite LT's in our conference the rest are meh and Brick got the nod to a few pro Bowls because others could not show up and he played on a high profile O-Line. He is NOT elite sorry.

I think hes a good player thats about it and sometimes I think thats pushing it a bit.

Hes a decent Run Blocker and a good pass protector last year he stunk and hes reached double digit sacks alloweed or come close 3 times in his career (It may be more Im not sure) but those are not even remotely close to Elite LT numbers . There are probably only 2 elite LT's in our conference the rest are meh and Brick got the nod to a few pro Bowls because others could not show up and he played on a high profile O-Line. He is NOT elite sorry.

I think hes a good player thats about it and sometimes I think thats pushing it a bit.

He's actually a very good run blocker and I attribute some, not all, of his sacks allowed to Sanchez simply holding onto the ball too long, and over the last 3 years he's also had to make up for the failures of the inexperienced Slauson being next to him. This is why its always difficult to rate offensive linemen on the few mainstream statistics the NFL hands us.

This is a small sample size here and from 2010 not 2011, but it shows how well Ferguson holds his blocks:

http://analyticfootb...ow-good-is.html

Heres my analytic football hes done well in the playoffs so I will give him credit for that since it is important. But from what I read on that site you posted its based on 4 football games which tells me nothing. For a team that runs more than any other the past 3 years or is right at the top 19 Sacks is unacceptable. The Jets bread and butter running the football 2 out of the last 3 years was running right behind Moore and Woody ....Woodys gone where exactly did the Jets run the ball last year ? D- Brick is NOT a good run blocker hes decent at best.

Damn Format sh*t should have screen shot it http://hosted.stats....ats.asp?id=7753

Year Team G GS Pen Yds False Start Holding Sacks Allwd Yds 2006 NYJ 16 16 2 15 1 1 10.50 76.50 2007 NYJ 16 16 5 40 2 3 13.25 72.75 2008 NYJ 16 16 4 33 2 1 4.00 29.00 2009 NYJ 16 16 8 60 5 2 8.00 50.00 2010 NYJ 16 16 5 35 3 2 2.00 14.00 2011 NYJ 16 16 3 15 3 0 9.50

High salary:

Elite QB's

Elite WR's

Elite RB's

Dirt cheap:

Tough, physical runners

Tough, physical runblockers

Just sayin'.

Then why don't we have any?Wayne Hunter's salary is not a pittance. We still have a realy thin RB corps.

100% truth-

"they give more thought to the marketing and the other edges of the business than I do." This is the problem.

Then why don't we have any?Wayne Hunter's salary is not a pittance. We still have a realy thin RB corps.

100% truth-

"they give more thought to the marketing and the other edges of the business than I do." This is the problem.

This is really funny since we claim to be ground and pound yet plenty of other teams are loaded down with Running backs. They use them more catching passes you know teams like the saints and panthers . I dont know how we can claim to be ground and pound and have McKnight and Powell as our back up running backs. I think if Greene was able to carry the load it would not be so bad but i think the guy runs so damn hard sometimes he winds up hurting himself and it makes him less effective which tells me hes not an everydown back. This team cant even get players in here to support what they claim to be.

So far we have No RT (dont give a damn about this so called competition between 2 idiots like Hunter and Ducan't) We have no depth at RB and we have no blocking TE's Im not sure weather to laugh or cry to be honest ..... Ground and Pound ? Really ?

Archived