Racist Twitter user jailed for 56 days (England)

Lil Bit Special

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-17515992

A student who admitted posting racially offensive comments on Twitter about footballer Fabrice Muamba has been jailed for 56 days.

Swansea University student Liam Stacey, 21, from Pontypridd, admitted inciting racial hatred over remarks about the Bolton Wanderers player, who collapsed during a FA Cup tie at Tottenham. A district judge in Swansea called the comments "vile and abhorrent".

Muamba, 23, who suffered a cardiac arrest, is still in intensive care.

Sentencing Stacey at Swansea Magistrates' Court, District Judge John Charles told him: "In my view, there is no alternative to an immediate prison sentence. "It was not the football world who was praying for [Muamba].... everybody was praying for his life." Stacey broke down in tears as he was led away to begin his jail term. As he passed the public gallery, he was briefly embraced by friends and his parents. A second year biology student at Swansea, Stacey was arrested after his comments on the social networking site were reported by other users.

A number of people challenged Stacey on Twitter following his first comment, and he responded with a number of offensive posts aimed at other Twitter users. Last week the court heard how Stacey posted the offensive comments shortly after the former England Under-21 star collapsed during the FA Cup quarter-final at White Hart Lane on 17 March. Magistrates were told police forces across Britain received complaints following the comments.

'Disciplinary'

Stacey tried to "distance himself" from the tweets by claiming his account had been hacked, the court was told. He later tried to delete his page but was arrested the following day at his student house in Swansea.When interviewed by police, Stacey said he had been drinking since lunchtime on Saturday and was drunk when he made the comments.Stacey was initially released on bail pending sentence and was ordered not to use Twitter and other social networking sites.

Jim Brisbane, chief crown prosecutor for CPS Cymru-Wales, said: "Racist language is inappropriate in any setting and through any media. "We hope this case will serve as a warning to anyone who may think that comments made online are somehow beyond the law." A Swansea University spokesperson said: "The student remains suspended from the university pending the conclusion of our disciplinary proceedings." Stacey is also registered as a player with Treorchy rugby club, where he has turned out for the second team on occasions. A statement after his arrest said: "The club wishes to completely disassociate itself from these comments and will be carrying out a full investigation into this matter."

There has also been a reaction on Twitter to the sentence, with Lord Sugar - former Spurs chairman - saying "Be warned idiots!," while Gary Lineker posted "Let it be a warning to all you immature souls. #thinkbeforeyoutweet"

Muamba remains in intensive care in a London hospital where his condition is described as serious but stable. Bolton and Tottenham play their re-arranged FA Cup fixture on Tuesday evening, with a minute's applause before kick-off.

Wow. Its amazing what is happening in this world. In England its now illegal to be racist. Why stop there? Why not stop all hate speech and ban anything offensive to anyone and send everyone to jail. In fact, Im offended that Lord Sugar calling people idiots. Thats offensive to idiots and he should be dealt with in the same manner as racism.

BTW... here are his offensive tweets that got him locked up for 56 days

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17hqe3pwxhtjqjpg/original.jpg

I think the guy didn't need prison; someone that stupid will be dealt with harshly enough by life.

And yet, maybe allowing the speech brings us closer to the actions and systemic crap we have here. Perhaps as individuals our souls are ghastly enough voids that we don't deserve anything better than one of those options.

Bottom line is, humans suck. If I was a chimp, I might throw crap at us too.

Wow. Its amazing what is happening in this world. In England its now illegal to be racist. Why stop there? Why not stop all hate speech and ban anything offensive to anyone and send everyone to jail. In fact, Im offended that Lord Sugar calling people idiots. Thats offensive to idiots and he should be dealt with in the same manner as racism.

Actually, if you were to call the British police and say you were offended by Sugar's comments, they would have to investigate him, with the possibility of criminal charges to follow. They seem to have gone a bit over the top over there with their "Everything offensive must be stamped out". During the London riots, some numpty started a "Wahey! Let's start a riot in (can't remember the name, but it was someplace like Nottingham) LOLZ". Despite the fact it was clearly a joke, the judge said examples had to be set that these kind of comments, even in jest were intolerable, and proceeded to jail the guy.

And congrats on reaching post 20!

hole1124.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-17515992

BTW... here are his offensive tweets that got him locked up for 56 days

http://img.gawkerass...pg/original.jpg

Exactly how I feel. I dont like racist remarks, but when people begin to get locked up for it its a huge concern for everyone.

EDIT: I think I may have one-up'd you Panda Boy!

I got a guy arrested and charged with two felonies for allegedly pointing his finger a cops. TOP THAT! lol.

Exactly how I feel. I dont like racist remarks, but when people begin to get locked up for it its a huge concern for everyone.

I got a guy arrested and charged with two felonies for allegedly pointing his finger a cops. TOP THAT! lol.

Pointing a finger? Ugh. Got to love some of these cops.

BTW... the reporter? Senator Scott Brown's wife.

Absolutely right to lock him up. He made an intimidating gesture in a court of law. on the street, I agree, it would be rediculous. But in a courtroom, it is illegal to coerce or intimidate anyone involved in the case by word or gesture. Makes no difference it was a cop, a judge, a witness or otherwise. The finger gun has been used for a century to make promises of violence by the mafia. I've seen it happen and I've seen people removed for it. And if you believe this guy was a sweedt innocent fella you're an idiot. You can't smoke in a courtroom, so his excuse that he was removing his cigsd and taking a lighter out the pack is a blatent lie. Which in my book removes his credibility.

Absolutely right to lock him up. He made an intimidating gesture in a court of law. on the street, I agree, it would be rediculous. But in a courtroom, it is illegal to coerce or intimidate anyone involved in the case by word or gesture. Makes no difference it was a cop, a judge, a witness or otherwise. The finger gun has been used for a century to make promises of violence by the mafia. I've seen it happen and I've seen people removed for it. And if you believe this guy was a sweedt innocent fella you're an idiot. You can't smoke in a courtroom, so his excuse that he was removing his cigsd and taking a lighter out the pack is a blatent lie. Which in my book removes his credibility.

Comments like this is exactly why I own guns.

Comments like this is exactly why I own guns.

No, i'm usually on board with doing away with the nonsense. Kids thrown out of school for saying "I could kill that brat, Suzy!" and other BS. Like the kindergartner who was suspended for making guns out of paper. Classic. But there is actually a real history to the "finger gun". It was a promise to find and do damage to the pointee or his family. It's like saying "Oh how rediculous! Johnny showed one of his fingers to his teacher and he got detention for it? So dumb. It's just a finger!" If its the middle finger than it has an alterior meaning. Taken in context, gestures can have power. If you're on the stand and Suge Knight points his finger gun at your mother in the court room, you might think twice about how you word your testimony. So the moral of the story kids...oversimplify and misunderstand. Or put it on the news and sell stupidity to the masses who are all too eager to lap it rather than looking into it and seeing it for what it is.

No, i'm usually on board with doing away with the nonsense. Kids thrown out of school for saying "I could kill that brat, Suzy!" and other BS. Like the kindergartner who was suspended for making guns out of paper. Classic. But there is actually a real history to the "finger gun". It was a promise to find and do damage to the pointee or his family. It's like saying "Oh how rediculous! Johnny showed one of his fingers to his teacher and he got detention for it? So dumb. It's just a finger!" If its the middle finger than it has an alterior meaning. Taken in context, gestures can have power. If you're on the stand and Suge Knight points his finger gun at your mother in the court room, you might think twice about how you word your testimony. So the moral of the story kids...oversimplify and misunderstand. Or put it on the news and sell stupidity to the masses who are all too eager to lap it rather than looking into it and seeing it for what it is.

I seen your point about gestures having power. What I dont see is that giving credibility to messing with someone's freedom simply by comparing a situation of Suge knight doing it when I've never heard of Suge actually shooting someone in reality. Now I could understand such a comment with the MOB, they actually threatened people like this, but they also had a criminal history of doing so. Im not going to compare this dude to Suge knight, or the MOB, who would actually would disappear witnesses etc. It makes me skeptical of the people who then talk about these gestures having power, when it depends on the person behind such gestures. What I also dont understand is how this man was allegedly able to make such a gesture in a court room yet allowed to leave the court room, the building, get into his car (if he drove), go home just so the police can then arrest him at his house.

Since were talking about credibility here that sounds kinda crazy to me. That doesnt make me an idiot simply because I take into consideration what this man is saying, especially if they're threatening his freedom. I think it would quite idiotic not to take such a situation seriously, because I would want people to do so if it was me. (Do unto others what you want done unto you).

Also, the charges are assault, and another charge simply because the cops felt intimidated. Well, I've had police officers point a gun at me mulitple times, you know....REAL GUNS. Just so they can ask me "questions" and then let me go about my business. Now I see a difference there, but some may not because this type of intimidation is done outside of a courtroom lol.

Anyway, I think the system is frivolously messing with peoples freedom, especially given the hypocrisy. I dont agree with it. And I think im in a position to be judgmental of the system, because either the system works for ME or it doesnt right?

I seen your point about gestures having power. What I dont see is that giving credibility to messing with someone's freedom simply by comparing a situation of Suge knight doing it when I've never heard of Suge actually shooting someone in reality. Now I could understand such a comment with the MOB, they actually threatened people like this, but they also had a criminal history of doing so. Im not going to compare this dude to Suge knight, or the MOB, who would actually would disappear witnesses etc. It makes me skeptical of the people who then talk about these gestures having power, when it depends on the person behind such gestures. What I also dont understand is how this man was allegedly able to make such a gesture in a court room yet allowed to leave the court room, the building, get into his car (if he drove), go home just so the police can then arrest him at his house.

Since were talking about credibility here that sounds kinda crazy to me. That doesnt make me an idiot simply because I take into consideration what this man is saying, especially if they're threatening his freedom. I think it would quite idiotic not to take such a situation seriously, because I would want people to do so if it was me. (Do unto others what you want done unto you).

Also, the charges are assault, and another charge simply because the cops felt intimidated. Well, I've had police officers point a gun at me mulitple times, you know....REAL GUNS. Just so they can ask me "questions" and then let me go about my business. Now I see a difference there, but some may not because this type of intimidation is done outside of a courtroom lol.

Anyway, I think the system is frivolously messing with peoples freedom, especially given the hypocrisy. I dont agree with it. And I think im in a position to be judgmental of the system, because either the system works for ME or it doesnt right?

In reading this post it seems to me we are in agreement on far more aspects of the issue than It initially seemed.

#1. and most important: I do not think you are an idiot nor did i intend the statement to imply that I had such an opinion of you. You always struck me as someone who tends to look behind the curtain rather than taking the sensationalism at face value. The idiocy lies in the "outrage" fueled by a misinformed media looking for attention. I think its sad that the days of real "news" and real reporters seem to be over and dead.

#2. regarding context of John Gotti or Suge knight. Ideally we could look into each incident and assaign a level of threat to each offender. That would be biased in the eyes of the law. Laws are imperfect and therefore have to be blanketed, generalized rules of government. There really isn't a better way. Gotti has the same rights as the Pope, Suge Knight, and my grandma. So everyone follows or offends according the rule of law. Common sense plays no part.

#3. The law was broken. It should have been addressed then and there. There is question that others overheard verbal threats. Perhaps that is what spurred the arrest. i cna't judge that. It does seem a bit rediculous though. So i agree with you on that point. Common sense would say he was gesturing and venting because he was pissed at the treatment the court was giving his kid. He goes home after blowing off steam. The end of it. Maybe a talking to or a removal from the copurt would have been more appropriate. But he probably pissed somebody off. Which is why they took it further. That's unprofessional, in my opinion. But i'm just guessing.

#4 Outside of this specific incident, people are losing their right to free speech in alarming ways. There is a report of a Brit jailed for making obnoxious tweets. The PC police in this country are far more dangerous than the real cops or any guns they might carry. There is a pervasive fear against speaking your mind or saying the unpopular thing. And having entire communities condemn you for it publicly. DeNiro's recent joke comes to mind. Sad that we can't think and speak freely as we once did.

Archived