Florio: Sanchez is the Key to Success of the Tebow Trade

flgreen

Sanchez is the key to the success of the Tebow trade

Posted by Mike Florio on March 28, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT

getty_s_31612_mark-sanchez.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

The Jets plan to use two quarterbacks interchangeably in 2012, which then will make it harder for the opposing defense to prepare for either of them. For that approach to succeed, one person must fully and completely buy in.

And his name isn’t Tim Tebow.

The “starting” quarterback, Mark Sanchez, must be prepared to never complain, via words or body language, about getting yanked from a game and replaced by Tim Tebow. Specifically, Sanchez can’t say anything negative about the process of Sanchez out/Tebow in, in any setting — at his locker, during a press conference, or while sipping a post-game beer with Mike Silver.

Sanchez also can’t do anything during a game that would suggest displeasure with having his rhythm disrupted. Remember Donovan McNabb during a 2009 preseason game? He didn’t like being removed for a couple of Mike Vick Wildcat plays, and McNabb made it known.

Mark needs to control his body language and his facial expression and if all else fails he needs to remember he’s getting more than $20 million for the next two years to go along with periodically stepping aside.

He can prevent it only by stepping up in a major way — by becoming so good that the team can’t justify taking him off the field for one snap per game much less 20. Unless and until that happens, nothing Sanchez says can make the situation better. Given that it’s all playing out in New York, any effort by Sanchez to communicate displeasure will only make it worse.

And, yes, this blurb was intended to be a vehicle to present a clip from Tuesday’s PFT Live.

One of the few times I agree with Florio.

For this to work, not only does Sanchez have to not be a baby, but he has to play well. Not Tom Brady well, but he can't be turning the ball over, and make DC's concerned about him.

That will be enough to keep Tebow in the same role as Smith had, plus some. That combination should keep DC's up at night.

If Sanchez sucks, none of it really matters. Teams will simply prepare for a limited power running game.

If Sanchez moves the chains, and puts some points up this will work big time. If he's throwing 3 pics a game, it doesn't matter who the back up is, the Jets will suck.

That's why I think there really is no down side to Tebow being here. If Sanchez sucks, the Jets aren't going anywhere anyhow. Do you really think Drew Stanton was going to save the season if Sanchez sucks?

I really dont recall Sanchez ever getting pissy about getting pulled for the wildcat. Could be wrong.

Either way, Sanchez has and will be the key to success. Tebow being here doesnt change that. The Jets didnt make the playoffs last year because they have a sieve at QB.

I really dont recall Sanchez ever getting pissy about getting pulled for the wildcat. Could be wrong.

Either way, Sanchez has and will be the key to success. Tebow being here doesn't change that. The Jets didnt make the playoffs last year because they have a sieve at QB.

No. Not so much about the Wildcat, but there were a few games last year that he was clearly sulking. It more then likely had to do with Homes, and Plax being jerks.

Sanchez is an ultra urban emo. He's a tough guy on the field, but he lets his emotions effect his demeanor, and his play. IMO that's is his biggest problem, and leads to poor play.

If he goes out there and just plays up to his talent (I disagree with you JiF I think he's got a lot of talent) He will keep Tebow in a valuable, but limited role.

That's what the Jets FO is hoping for. If he becomes a baby, Tebow will take his job

Either way, Sanchez has and will be the key to success. Tebow being here doesnt change that. The Jets didnt make the playoffs last year because they have a sieve at QB.

No... But he wasn't getting pulled by a national favorite who's also plays the same position and wants his job. He was getting pulled by a jack of all trades master of none who not a person on earth wanted to take his job.

Not so subtle difference.

Lets take this one step further what happens if Sanchez gets hurt ?? In that instance I think the Jets have to put in McElroy and keep the same system. Certainly we wont want Tebow starting and going 1-10 the first 3 quarters then trying to win the game in the 4th that sh*t gets old real quick when you dont have enough fire power to make those type of constant comebacks.

Lets take this one step further what happens if Sanchez gets hurt ?? In that instance I think the Jets have to put in McElroy and keep the same system.

Tebow might be flawed but McElroy is just bad. The dude has proven nothing.

I also don't think it matters whether it's Brad Smith or Tebow, a wildcat play is a wildcat play. Mark shouldn't care. or at least, they pay him enough that he shouldn't care. If he does worry about it... well it's about time he earned his paycheck. Or they can get rid of him.

Lets take this one step further what happens if Sanchez gets hurt ?? In that instance I think the Jets have to put in McElroy and keep the same system. Certainly we wont want Tebow starting and going 1-10 the first 3 quarters then trying to win the game in the 4th that sh*t gets old real quick when you dont have enough fire power to make those type of constant comebacks.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but that's not what is going to happen. It will be Tebow.

If it's a one, or two game injury I'm good with Tebow, but I sure don't want him starting 15 games.

On the other side, how many teams are still in Super Bowl competition if their starting QB goes down for the year?

No. Not so much about the Wildcat, but there were a few games last year that he was clearly sulking. It more then likely had to do with Homes, and Plax being jerks.

Sanchez is an ultra urban emo. He's a tough guy on the field, but he lets his emotions effect his demeanor, and his play. IMO that's is his biggest problem, and leads to poor play.

If he goes out there and just plays up to his talent (I disagree with you JiF I think he's got a lot of talent) He will keep Tebow in a valuable, but limited role.

That's what the Jets FO is hoping for. If he becomes a baby, Tebow will take his job

Agreed. I'll give the kid credit. He takes a beating and keeps getting up.

Doubt it.

And in Tebow's defense, the Broncos really didnt put him in position to succeed until towards the end of each game. Hand off, hand off, throw on 3rd and long. Tough throwing on the toughest down every single game. When they had to open things up and let Tebow throw on easier downs - he was successful. See OT vs. the Steelers or the drive vs. the Jets as an example.

Tebow might be flawed but McElroy is just bad. The dude has proven nothing.

I also don't think it matters whether it's Brad Smith or Tebow, a wildcat play is a wildcat play. Mark shouldn't care. or at least, they pay him enough that he shouldn't care. If he does worry about it... well it's about time he earned his paycheck. Or they can get rid of him.

McElroy has proven nothing but he did lead some decent drives in preseason while getting his face bashed in when our horrific back up o-line could not protect him. Im sure he can do well with good protection certainly better than Tebow throwing the football

I'm inclined to agree with you, but that's not what is going to happen. It will be Tebow.

If it's a one, or two game injury I'm good with Tebow, but I sure don't want him starting 15 games.

On the other side, how many teams are still in Super Bowl competition if their starting QB goes down for the year?

Doubt it.

And in Tebow's defense, the Broncos really didnt put him in position to succeed until towards the end of each game. Hand off, hand off, throw on 3rd and long. Tough throwing on the toughest down every single game. When they had to open things up and let Tebow throw on easier downs - he was successful. See OT vs. the Steelers or the drive vs. the Jets as an example.

I was putting a question out there but I agree if Sanchez does go down it will probably be all Tebow so I agree with both of you but I dont think its the right thing to do JMO

McElroy has proven nothing but he did lead some decent drives in preseason while getting his face bashed in when our horrific back up o-line could not protect him. Im sure he can do well with good protection certainly better than Tebow throwing the football

So you obviously think that McElroy is certainly better than Sanchez throwing the football, too. Why isn't he starting?

So you obviously think that McElroy is certainly better than Sanchez throwing the football, too. Why isn't he starting?

how do you come up with this with what I posted ? I never said hes better than Sanchez throwing the football He might possibly be more accurate because Sanchez accuracy numbers are nothing special but I think he has trouble with the intermidiate to deep passes. No one really knows for sure at this point. If someone told You Tom Brady was going to be a HOF QB as a 7th round Draft pick yo would have probably laughed in their face right ?

Jesus Christ 80 have a little damn faith

This is a Jets message board, right?

how do you come up with this with what I posted ? I never said hes better than Sanchez throwing the football He might possibly be more accurate because Sanchez accuracy numbers are nothing special but I think he has trouble with the intermidiate to deep passes. No one really knows for sure at this point. If someone told You Tom Brady was going to be a HOF QB as a 7th round Draft pick yo would have probably laughed in their face right ?

Brady was a 6th rounder and insurance salesman-hater. And unlike McElroy, he didn't come into the league with people knowing his passes had less zip on them than Chad Pennington.

I just meant that if you think McElroy is certainly better than Tebow, then you have to think he's better than Sanchez, since they are not far apart in terms of throwing the ball, if at all. Sanchez was more accurate, sure, but their YPA was exactly the same. Tebow's TD to INT rate was 2 to 1 as opposed to Sanchez' 1.3 to 1.

Any chance Tebow improves from last year?

This freakin team better get at least one WR and one RB in this years draft that the only think Im sure they need to do.

Really with this? So completely ignore FS, a pass-rusher, and the fact that we have 3 aging, slow linebackers? Who was the last star RB/WR to win a team a Super Bowl?

Really with this? So completely ignore FS, a pass-rusher, and the fact that we have 3 aging, slow linebackers? Who was the last star RB/WR to win a team a Super Bowl?

Who was the last free safety to do so?

It really is amazing that we finished number five in defense last year. But our offense was number one in the NFL, so they're set.

hey look I fully understand this team needs LB's and a FS did I say to ignore those positions ? Forget about passrusher the Jets create pressure with scheme and I think they will continue too. If someone slips to them I can see them doing somethign at 16 with a passrusher but they better not reach..... if you want to ignore our offense to fix a defense that ranked 5th in the NFL thats fine but dont cry when Holmes gets shut down and our RT cant stop anyone from killing our QB's also dont cry when Shonn greene cant go every game and is beat up at the end of the season. I dont want to hear about Mcknight or Powell and Im not sure WTF we currently have at WR that scares anyone. Hell our WR corps wouldnt scare some College teams

No tellin Crush will only be able to see that on the field. This freakin team better get at least one WR and one RB in this years draft that the only think Im sure they need to do.

Rb are easy. Get one late. Big bruiser type. I think we need to get a starting RT, back up line and outside linebacker(pass rusher). Why waste a pick on a real # 2? Other than Kerley nobody can throw a good deep ball or any ball for that matter. If we are going to be ground and pund and play tuff defense then getting a # 2 WR is like me getting a nutritionist. Yeah it will look good, but it will just go to waste.

Rb are easy. Get one late. Big bruiser type. I think we need to get a starting RT, back up line and outside linebacker(pass rusher). Why waste a pick on a real # 2? Other than Kerley nobody can throw a good deep ball or any ball for that matter. If we are going to be ground and pund and play tuff defense then getting a # 2 WR is like me getting a nutritionist. Yeah it will look good, but it will just go to waste.

And yet another reason why you are my favorite poster on this board. I still want Michael Floyd though. We will have to throw the ball.

Who was the last free safety to do so?

It really is amazing that we finished number five in defense last year. But our offense was number one in the NFL, so they're set.

My point is that we're never going to fix the offense until we get a real QB, so trying to use early picks on skill positions is pretty pointless.

My point is that we're never going to fix the offense until we get a real QB, so trying to use early picks on skill positions is pretty pointless.

You definitely have a point. Part of me feels the same way. I still want to try and surround whichever kid it's going to be with the best talent available. I don't really worry about the defense. I don't think Rex has ever fielded a defense that was less than top ten. I'm not sure you try and build a super defense and sacrifice your passing game at the altar of ground and pound, though.

You definitely have a point. Part of me feels the same way. I still want to try and surround whichever kid it's going to be with the best talent available. I don't really worry about the defense. I don't think Rex has ever fielded a defense that was less than top ten. I'm not sure you try and build a super defense and sacrifice your passing game at the altar of ground and pound, though.

A few things:

1. We're not going to be GETTING a young kid in here very soon to build around. Sanchez is going to be the starter for at least the next 2 years thanks to his extension. Unless he's so bad that Tebow/McElroy becomes the QB, at which point Tannenbaum and possibly Rex are probably gone anyways.

2. While the defense will always be one of the best under Rex, it can become an all-time great defense if we add a few more pieces. We need to get younger at linebacker and we have the picks to start doing so.

3. While it goes against the grain of the NFL, a solid running game is the best thing to pair with an elite defensive unit. We've already sacrificed the passing game by bringing in Sparano, extending Sanchez's deal, and bringing in Tebow, so might as well go all out and at least get back our "ground & pound" identity for better or worse.

Archived